PDA

View Full Version : steeler autographs

goalpost
02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
i see on the steelers official website that you can mail steelers items to be signed by the players and coaches. but you are not guaranteed getting them signed.has anyone have done this and can you send them only during the football season.i collect autographs and would like to get few of them.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Ben won't sign unless you include $100...just a heads up.

WWIIOwheelz
02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Have a buddy who went to high school with a guy who plays on the practice squad. He evidently picked up a bunch of autographed stuff. He gave me a Heath Miller signed football. Pretty awesome, have it on my wall now.

ohio's #1 steelers chick
02-24-2006, 10:40 PM
i want to get autographs too. if you do it and it works out let me know.

bigbensrose
02-25-2006, 12:44 AM

I don't think he's allowed to sign for free anymore since he signed the deal marketing his autograph. Kinda sucks though. Im sure there is a little part of him that would give them away but the NFL is a business.

clevestinks
02-25-2006, 04:20 AM
At training camp this past season, my wife had Ben sign a jersey, as part of the Womens training camp, and Ben signed an NFL football for my daughter,11. At camp Ben will always sign for kids only, so if you don`t have a kid, borrow one.

melroseplace
02-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I'd suggest making it to training camp if you're anywhere in Western PA. because first of all, there's always the risk of losing whatever you send through the mail, and second of all...training camp is a lot of fun :cool:

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't think he's allowed to sign for free anymore since he signed the deal marketing his autograph. Kinda sucks though. Im sure there is a little part of him that would give them away but the NFL is a business.

He signed a football for me during the Lemieux Golf Tournament in Nevillewood. No cost. I guess things have changed since then?

SteelerDan43
02-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Well the crazy thing is most people dont know that almost all professional teams have some sort of autograph policy like this. Sending something in is always worth a try!

BB2W
02-25-2006, 08:13 PM
When I was a child (age 10 to 14) I used to send them straight to the stadium. NFL, NBA, and MLB... it used to work. You don't know if they really signed it and of course you don't get a Certifcate of Authenticity, but it was good enough for me. Plus, you can have them examined by an expert at card shows or card shops that can validate it for you.

I got the stadium addresses form an almanac... I would send the player of choice a short letter mentioning I'm a fan, and a card or two of theirs with an envelope that had my return address on it. I got like a 90% return on them. If they didn't do free autographs they would usually return the card and send like a membership to their fanclub or something (Bo Jackson stole my rookie card of him). I have around 200 autographs from that period in my life. Some nice ones too...

John Elway, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Barry Foster, Dan Marino, Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Randall Cuningham, Steve Atwater, Clyde Drexler, David Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Dominique Wilkins, Barry Larkin, Barry Bonds, Greg Maddux, and many more.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Let me clarify. If you SEE Ben, he'll sign for free. If you send a ball in, send $100 along with it...otherwise, you'll get your unsigned ball back in a few months.

clevestinks
02-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Ben usually only signs for kids though. Years ago I sent a football to Bubby Brister for my brother, it came back autographed. But I later found out that some players have ball boys sign the balls for them, and send them back. I asked Shannon Sharpe about that, he to said that some players will have others sign stuff for them.

melroseplace
02-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not real big on autographs, even with ones of certificates of authenticity, unless I personally hand my item to the guy and watch him sign it. I mean obviously not everyone lives around here or can get out to see the guys in person, but that's just me personally

bigbensrose
02-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I think the no free autograph thing just started after they won the Super Bowl. Think it might have been in the works since he was the first QB ever to go the conference title in his first 2 years. Its been recently I know that.

Prosdo
02-26-2006, 01:25 AM
I did what BB2W did. I did that for a few years with mostly baseball players. But Steelers autographs you can get best at camp. I know this year my sister and I got Ben, Bettis, Heath, Farrior, Reed, and a bunch of others in the few days we were up there.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a ton of autographs, old school players and new in every sport, but I would have to say that Dan Marino is one of the biggest pricks when trying to get an autograph. The one autograph I'm still trying to snag is Montana and Rice on the same ball.

clevestinks
02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a ton of autographs, old school players and new in every sport, but I would have to say that Dan Marino is one of the biggest pricks when trying to get an autograph. The one autograph I'm still trying to snag is Montana and Rice on the same ball.
At least a Marino auto is valuable, Gary Anderson is a prick, he told my brother at six years old, to leave him alone, and don`t bother me. He was just walking to practice, back when the Steelers scrimmaged Buffalo in Edinboro.
I`m a huge auto collector, although I don`t beleive in buying them. I`ve only bought one, and that was Ernie Staunter, it was $5 on a 5x7, couldnt resist. I have a 153 Steelers autos, some more than once. We have Ben on a football and jersey. Bus on a liscense plate and football, Hines on a playoff progam. Its fun and they cover my basement walls.
My sister in law, atlanta falcons cheerleader, was on Micheal Waltrips , Aarons Rents dream team, which Bradshaw owned part of, so she got me my Bradshaw auto, she also got me Pete Rose, Holyfield, and Vick.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I have all the Steelers of the 70's on balls or pictures. Jordan ball signed. A picture of Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe walking on pond signed by all three. Numerous other Lemieux autos. Jagr. Hank Aaron, John Elway, Ted Williams, Mantle, Ryan, Stargell, of course Maz, Nitschke, Clemente....the list goes on. Most of the autographs have been handed down. Still have more that I have not mentioned. I would have to go downstairs and check but I'm lazy.

I don't buy mine either. For the most part, get mine through connections. The only one I bought was the Lemieux, Howe and Gretzky photo of them on the pond (used as a commercial a few years back during the playoffs). Could not pass it up.

melroseplace
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
But Steelers autographs you can get best at camp. I know this year my sister and I got Ben, Bettis, Heath, Farrior, Reed, and a bunch of others in the few days we were up there.

you must've had a really good spot to snag all those...the day practice I went to the only "big name" guy we got (that I remember) is Farrior. at the night practice I managed to get Bettis' for my little brother, which I was so happy about b/c I had a strong feeling that'd be my last shot to get it in person

Steelerfan81
02-26-2006, 10:57 PM
I had a great spot at camp this year. I was able to get Farrior to sign my jersey, then Ben and Bettis. I think I got like 13 or so all together, along with Chidi Iwouma's gloves. I really wanted Millers, and Polamalu's but I wasn't able to get them.

FanecaFan66
02-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I've already had a ball I sent in autographed by most of the team.

This was of course 2002, but it worked then.

blackngoldbaby
02-27-2006, 04:37 PM
REALLY!! IVE BEEN TRYIN 2 GET GOOD AUTOGRAPHS 4 SOME TIME NOW SOOOO IF ANYONE GETS ANY AUTOGRAPHS LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!! I DO HAVE ONE AUTOGRAPH THOUGH FROM SHAUN MOREY NUMBER 81! I GOT IT FROM TRAINING CAMP LAST SUMMER BUT I REALLY WOULD LOVE 2 HAVE ONE FROM BEN OR HINES OR SOME OTHER WELL KNOWN PLAYERS

melroseplace
02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
woah caps lol
if you live in the Pittsburgh area it's definitely possible to get some autographs in person. if not you could try sending stuff in like people have been talking about

blackngoldbaby
02-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm not real big on autographs, even with ones of certificates of authenticity, unless I personally hand my item to the guy and watch him sign it. I mean obviously not everyone lives around here or can get out to see the guys in person, but that's just me personally
i am the same way i DO NOT want an autograph unless i see them sign it in person i would never try 2 send anything through the mail i just go 2 their traning camp.