PDA

View Full Version : Steelers allow Hartwig to seek new team

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Steelers allow veteran center Hartwig to explore trade options

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network

The Pittsburgh Steelers have given center Justin Hartwig permission to contact other teams and explore trade options, a league source said Friday.

The emergence of first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey has made Hartwig expendable. Originally the thought was Pouncey would begin at guard, but he already knows the calls and verbage to handle center, according to a team source.

"Those are the things you think about when you're starting and, all of sudden, you got another guy playing in front of you," Hartwig said after practice last Thursday. "Obviously, you think about your future. That's the nature of this business."

Hartwig has been through this before -- most notably when he outplayed and replaced Sean Mahan before the start of the 2008 regular season.

"I've had the upper hand in these situations and I've had the lower hand," Hartwig said. "You kind of take things in stride."

Hartwig, who signed a four-year contract extension in 2009, is scheduled to earn $2.08 million this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a3fcef/article/steelers-allow-veteran-center-hartwig-to-explore-trade-options?module=HP_headlines

Who didn't see this one comming? The problem is teams know we are going to get rid of him anyhow so we probably won't get much, if anything, for him.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
they should have done this a freakin week ago !!! isn't the cutdown to 53 tommorrow ?

Fire Haley
09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
isn't the cutdown to 53 tommorrow ?

already started

the tough cuts will be tomorrow

Steelers aren't going to pay Hartwig $2M to sit on the bench as back-up center when we have Legursky who is just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

rbryan
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Time to move on. Hartwig's performance here was mediocre at best. He's probably not even the best backup at this point...especially if he's going to cry about "his misfortune" of being replaced by a rookie.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM
already started

the tough cuts will be tomorrow

Steelers aren't going to pay Hartwig $2M to sit on the bench as back-up center when we have Legursky who is just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

actually i meant they only have till tomorrow to unload hartwig, i think they mighta had a better shot of gettin something for him, had they not waited so long to even try ...:banging:

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 06:29 PM
actually i meant they only have till tomorrow to unload hartwig, i think they mighta had a better shot of gettin something for him, had they not waited so long to even try ...:banging:

No. Wat if an injury had happened to Pouncey. Then they'd be stuck with one center (Legursky) going into the season...very bad.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 06:33 PM
No. Wat if an injury had happened to Pouncey. Then they'd be stuck with one center (Legursky) going into the season...very bad.

so what if pouncey gets hurt on the first play of the game against atlanta ? :noidea:

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
so what if pouncey gets hurt on the first play of the game against atlanta ? :noidea:

It's one thing to be into the season and have a player injured and be undermanned but it is embarrassing to ENTER the season with only your third string center eligible to play.

He get's paid 2 million and he sucks. Nobody would have traded for him. He'll get released and seek the vet minimum as a back up somewhere.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
It's one thing to be into the season and have a player injured and be undermanned but it is embarrassing to ENTER the season with only your third string center eligible to play.

He get's paid 2 million and he sucks. Nobody would have traded for him. He'll get released and seek the vet minimum as a back up somewhere.

two words....sean mayhan.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 06:46 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think Mahan was making 2 mill per season.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 06:50 PM

By the way, I'll be waiting for you to visit the Educated 53 thread to admit you were wrong about Urbik. lol

dunkuntou
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think Mahan was making 2 mill per season.

No you are right...he was making about $3.5 million per year

truesteelerfan
09-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Hopefully we can find 2 teams out there that both have a need for a back=up veteran center...get them to compete with each other, telling each of them that the other plans on picking him up if we release him...so they should probably seal the deal to get him directly from us before we release him...for something like a 5th or 7th round pick next year...He's worth at least that to any team who has a young center and salary cap space.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 09:15 PM
By the way, I'll be waiting for you to visit the Educated 53 thread to admit you were wrong about Urbik. lol

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-coupons.gif

:chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
09-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Trade him for a solid right Tackle! :P

rick723
09-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Trade him for a six pack. That's what we got Earnest Jackson for
Think it was Buddy ryan who said that

desertsteel
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
can't the dude play guard?

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I feel sorry for Hartwig

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Hartwig. The legacy of great Steeler centers took a huge beating with the likes of Mahan and Hartwig. He is not even worth being a backup center on this team. The Oline is much better if players can't come straight up the center and the guards don't have to help double team the player that the center is responsible for. Not so sure that our right side is any good the way they have played so far, but the line as a whole looks a lot better with Pouncey in there. Unfortunately no team can afford to have high paid backups just in case a starter gets hurt. It is not feasible economically.

scsteeler
09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Hartwig was a almost average center at best. Pouncey as a rookie shows with his play this line is going to be much improved over last year already.

ETL
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Watch the super bowl against Arizona again - hartwig was pushed around repetitively. He needed to go.