PDA

View Full Version : Frank Summers Released?

ajs8207
09-03-2010, 05:59 PM
http://twitter.com/Insidepghsports

Thoughts?

EDIT:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/agent-steelers-release-frank-summers/29168/

pete74
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
deserved. he was useless

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 06:41 PM
its arians fault.

Source close to Frank Summers tells me 2nd year pro will land on his feet and that this isn't his {Franks} fault. Blamed Arians.

:chuckle:

mikegrimey
09-03-2010, 07:11 PM
With a nickname like Frank the Tank he could have become a fan favorite. Too bad his stint at fullback proved him to be anything but a tank. Watching him play against the titans and bears last year actually made me miss Carey Davis

Fire Arians
09-03-2010, 07:44 PM
dude only lasted so long cause he had a cool nickname that fooled everybody

a more fitting nickname would be frank the paper tiger summers

ricardisimo
09-03-2010, 07:46 PM
deserved. he was useless

Sadly, I agree. You want all of these guys to work out, but...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know why we ever drafted him. He played half back in college not full back. If the coaching staff is serious about using a full back they need to draft a true full back.

ricardisimo
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
At the time they weren't serious about it. Only later were they under orders to get the running game going, which tends to entail a true blocking fullback.

truesteelerfan
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm disappointed to see this happen, but not surprised. Most tailbacks in the NCAA can't make the switch to FB, Tank was no exception. I also blame Ariens and his no FB philosophy.

Fire Haley
09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Bye Frank - you should have shown more earlier....oh well see ya

Welcome aboard Dwyer!

run like the wind!

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
its arians fault.

:chuckle:

i agree .... the assclown keeps trying to pound square pegs into a round hole. i don't think summers was ever given a fair shot at competing for RB....:popcorn:

DanRooney
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Just goes to show you how bad our draft was in 2008. These players made zero impact on our team:

Urbik
Summers
Burnett
Shipley

Ziggy is pretty much MIA during the regular season and preseason even though you hear all of these things about him at OTAs and TC. Hopefully he can turn it around. The jury is still out on Lewis.

Thank god for Wallace.

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Just goes to show you how bad our draft was in 2008. These players made zero impact on our team:

Urbik
Summers
Burnett
Shipley

Ziggy is pretty much MIA during the regular season and preseason even though you hear all of these things about him at OTAs and TC. Hopefully he can turn it around. The jury is still out on Lewis.

Thank god for Wallace.it also shows how good our roster was. after all, it was a sb winning roster returning 21 of 22 starters.

as lame as essex is, he has spent enough time in this system to hold off a rookie.

i still think every rookie defender will need atleast 2 years to even begin to master dick lebeaus defense.

i dont think the players necessarily suck, the steelers are just a tough team to make the squad and have any sort of immediate impact.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Urbik
Summers
Burnett
Shipley

Thank god for Wallace.

You mean 2009 draft. Hood, Wallace and Lewis seem like contributors. We can't rule out Burnett yet either. If you can get 2 starters and one back up, you've done well. We'll know in 3 years. We might have 3 starters and a reserve.

Urbik was just picked to shut the fans up.

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Urbik was just picked to shut the fans up.hardly.

scouts had urbick ranked as one of the top guards in the nation, and RG was one of the steelers greatest areas of need. (simmons career was over and unemployed stapelton isnt even qualified as a back up).

infact RG is still one of the steelers big area of need (pouncey will be a center, and essex still hasnt proven to be anything more than a stop gap/almost average starter.)

Stinky Fred
09-04-2010, 12:18 AM
If the coaching staff is serious about using a full back they need to draft a true full back.
:rofl:

It won't happen as long as we have an OC that lines up his "fullback" as an H-back. The "fullback" concept eludes him entirely.

And that relationship isn't going to change until they fix this...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6624/largemiketomlin.jpg

See, what we need is a... http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pitt/s_696683.html ... a young man that says... "There's nothing like blowing up a linebacker," Hynoski said. "That's the best feeling ever."

Summers, by the way, wasn't drafted to be a fullback because he isn't a fullback. He was drafted because we needed a tank to get those short yards that have eluded us since our former 315 lb tailback retired. Line Summers up behind an actual fullback and we would have achieved the desired results. But we lack the intellect at OC and HC to do that.

Fred has spoken.

figg
09-04-2010, 01:38 AM
He cant play FB thats for sure. I've never seen a FB try to cut block at the point of attack so much in my life.

tony hipchest
09-04-2010, 01:42 AM
nice to see you still check in here, figg. :cheers:

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 01:45 AM
nice to see you still check in here, figg. :cheers:
indeed ..... good to see you mr newton ....:wave:

figg
09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks. I've been around just havent posted.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks. I've been around just havent posted.

so start posting :noidea:

figg
09-04-2010, 01:58 AM
so start posting :noidea:

No doubt :drink:

tony hipchest
09-04-2010, 02:06 AM
figg was one of the "veteran" members when i first started posting here.

him, blitzburghrockcity, ambridge, ironcitychef, and suitanim helped lay the foundation here, and made newbs such as myself want to join.

:cheers:

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 02:16 AM

him, blitzburghrockcity, ambridge, ironcitychef, and suitanim helped lay the foundation here, and made newbs such as myself want to join.

its funny you said that....i was just looking at this thread...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=772
and couldn't help but notice how many of the "pioneers" , that helped blaze this trail ,have banned under their name ....:sofunny:
what exactly was it that went down when bbcr and prodo and the others had it out ?

figg
09-04-2010, 02:23 AM

:drink:

figg
09-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Why were they all banned?

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Why were they all banned?

i know they had some kind of falling out with the owner, i just don't recall what it was over. i was thinking tony probably does...:noidea:

tony hipchest
09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
and couldn't help but notice how many of the "pioneers" , that helped blaze this trail ,have banned under their name ....:sofunny:
what exactly was it that went down when bbcr and prodo and the others had it out ?

im not too sure of all of the specifics with prosdo and bbrc, but it is pretty much similar with the most recent mod group that has left... problems with mike (AKA steelersfever AKA founder and member #1)

unhappy with the admin, bbrc and prosdo were lured away/left to form a new MB. of course they tried to take members along, which ultimately led to their ban.

its kind of the same situation with the most recent group of departed mods when mike sold the board, and left them out of the loop.

it seems like typical business- until you own the shit yourself, you are never really happy, and even then , youre not really happy (unless youre raking in tons of dough)

the short of it is prosdo and BBRC were banned for trying to "steal"/recruit this sites members to help form the new site.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 02:57 AM
actually i tried to register at their site awhile ago, and probably would've stopped posting here , but they require an IP email addy and i don't have one. ...:noidea:

figg
09-04-2010, 03:06 AM
wow they were good for the mb. Anyway it's good to be back and Summers is no full back lol

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 03:10 AM
wow they were good for the mb. Anyway it's good to be back and Summers is no full back lol

and they knew that when they drafted him .... i mean , who'd ever be dumb enough to draft a fb , to actually play fb ? :doh:

how in the hell did you remember your password figg ? you haven't posted since 2007 ....lol

figg
09-04-2010, 03:14 AM
and they knew that when they drafted him .... i mean , who'd ever be dumb enough to draft a fb , to actually play fb ? :doh:

how in the hell did you remember your password figg ? you haven't posted since 2007 ....lol

It took a few times :chuckle:

Stinky Fred
09-05-2010, 12:17 AM

WTF happened to Suit?

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2010, 12:52 AM
WTF happened to Suit?
he's here somewhe....oh there he is .... http://smiliesftw.com/x/shiv_dbag.gif

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Frank Summers sucks. Mchugh was the best blocking FB we had. But arians maintains he has no use for them. H BACK it is.

DanRooney
09-05-2010, 08:01 AM
it also shows how good our roster was. after all, it was a sb winning roster returning 21 of 22 starters.

as lame as essex is, he has spent enough time in this system to hold off a rookie.

i still think every rookie defender will need atleast 2 years to even begin to master dick lebeaus defense.

i dont think the players necessarily suck, the steelers are just a tough team to make the squad and have any sort of immediate impact.

Disagree. Our secondary and offensive line were one of the worst in the league last year and if Summers, Burnett, Shipley and Urbik were any good, they would still be employed. Frank Summers was competing with FBs like Carey Davis and McHugh. Urbik was competing with UDFA Ramon Foster and Trai Essex...

Absolutely terrible draft and I called it right after it happened.

vasteeler
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM

man there are some names i haven't seen in a long time.....question though i could have sworn litp was banned was he not? it doesn't read banned under his name.

litp.........:doh:

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I think the Steelers track record speaks for itself in terms of the draft. Nobody hits a homerun every draft. For the most part NO team has drafted as well as the Steelers in the last 20 years. All of those picks are superior to Anthony Smith, Jerame Tuman,Clark Haggans,Willie Williams, Chad Scott ,Ricardo Colclough,Kendrick Clancy,Veron Haynes,Alonzo Jackson,Matt Kranchick,Lee Mays, Chukky Okobi,Brian St.Pierre.
Those are a few of the Bums that were drafted in the Cowher era. I dont want to mention free agent BUMS that made the team like Chidi,Keydrick Vincent, Ainsley Battles,Dante Brown, Matt Cushing,Travis Kirshke, Walter Rasby,Mike Schneck, Russel Stuvaints. There were some undrafted gems like Deebo, Jeff Reed and Chris Hoke. But overall we are MUCH more talented NOW than we were then.

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
man there are some names i haven't seen in a long time.....question though i could have sworn litp was banned was he not? it doesn't read banned under his name.

litp.........:doh:

he was granted a pardon by the new administration ....:doh:

Shea
09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
he was granted a pardon by the new administration ....:doh:

I kinda would like to see him pop up again and start posting.

Watching you guys bitch slap him around is entertainment in my book.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Seahawks waived Owen Schmitt. Now hes definitely a pure full back.

Believe43
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Owen Schmitt would fit in the Steeler Nation, tough Fullback in College that could not only get tough short gains but also break some surprising big runs...

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one. Bruce Arians

:coffee:

StainlessStill
09-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks like The Tank signed on the PS.