PDA

View Full Version : RIGHT AGAIN.....LOOKS LIKE BATCH TO BE STARTER

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Whats new? As soon as Leftwich went down I "reported" that I believe Batch would be the starter or inexperienced Dennis Dixon. It seems Ed Bouchette and Chris Mortenson agree. As I said before despite our recent injury, I wont back off of my earlier prediction of 4-0 or 3-1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/charlie-batch-goes-from-possible-release-to-possible-starter/

DanRooney
09-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Whats new? As soon as Leftwich went down I "reported" that I believe Batch would be the starter or inexperienced Dennis Dixon. It seems Ed Bouchette and Chris Mortenson agree. As I said before despite our recent injury, I wont back off of my earlier prediction of 4-0 or 3-1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/charlie-batch-goes-from-possible-release-to-possible-starter/

Florio also said Dixon might run Ben out of town and become the #1 QB in Pittsburgh. Almost laughable now.

I highly doubt Batch starts. Having a less mobile quarterback that's even more injury prone than Bob Sanders as your starter doesn't make sense. Tomlin also wouldn't have pulled Dixon so quickly in favor of Batch for an entire half on Thursday. The pecking order was Leftwich, Dixon and then Batch. China Doll doesn't jump from 3 to 1 because he knows how to hand off the ball.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Florio also said Dixon might run Ben out of town and become the #1 QB in Pittsburgh. Almost laughable now.

I highly doubt Batch starts. Having a less mobile quarterback that's even more injury prone than Bob Sanders as your starter doesn't make sense. Tomlin also wouldn't have pulled Dixon so quickly in favor of Batch for an entire half on Thursday. The pecking order was Leftwich, Dixon and then Batch. China Doll doesn't jump from 3 to 1 because he knows how to hand off the ball.

The quote was from Bouchette and Mort not Florio. Batch will start because of his experience. Its the same reason Leftwich was going to start. That pecking order was interupted as soon as Leftwich was signed, so that tells you it means little. Batch will do well for us ESPECIALLY with our D. I'm just worried about the lack of zip on his ball but its the same thing with Dixon in the regard. I'd rather have a vet like Batch starting than a promising "green" Dixon anyday. The game is still too fast for Dixon.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 08:22 AM

First off, this is all speculation. Water-cooler convo. Not one statement in that whole entire article is fact or speaks of truth. If anything is confirmed, I want you to find it Sherlock. If not, STFU about your dumba$$ ramblings about how you're right and realize your place here isn't above no other on this board.

Noone has no idea on how Tomlin is going to use his QB situation... TOMLIN himself doesn't even know who he's going to start. Your know it all nature is getting so lame that it doesn't make your d!ck any bigger than you might think. What you've been saying is no different than what anyone else is saying. All speculation and prediction, no fact.

I'm certainly more comfortable with Charlie in there in the first place and believe Chuck should have been in the mix since day 1. He's a consequent pro who knows how to come off the bench and translate his experience in managing the game better than any other backups on any kind of rosters around the league.

I believe we will be using both QB's in one form or another but givin the competition we've seen throughout, how can one go against Dennis Dixon when the competition screams Dixon VS Leftwhich. It's only common sense that Tomlin will start Dixon but Batch's percentage to win over the coaching staff just went up significantly. Good/Bad practices I'm sure will sway the descision between the two soon.

DanRooney
09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
What did Charlie do that makes you think he won the job? One good TD drive against the Broncos that was followed by a pick 6? Handing the ball off to Dwyer 20 times in a half? Batch is an emergency QB and that's all he'll ever be at this point of his career. At least with Dixon you have an upside. I'm no fan of Dixon but he gives us the best opportunity to win and I'm sure the coaching staff knows this.

Batch's 'experience' is null and void. His experience came on a run heavy play-action offense. That's where he excelled. It's not 2005 anymore. As soon as Arians took over that was thrown to shit. Batch is not even an average backup anymore.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:10 AM
At least with Dixon you have an upside.

Batch's 'experience' is null and void. His experience came on a run heavy play-action offense. That's where he excelled. It's not 2005 anymore. As soon as Arians took over that was thrown to shit. .

What did Charlie do that makes you think he won the job?

I don't think anyone won the job. I think this week of practice will determine who will be chosen simply by the fact of who performs best with the flow of the starting units.

One good TD drive against the Broncos that was followed by a pick 6

Charlie was the best QB to look that night in Denver, only because he knows this offense and has had it wrapped around his finger throughout the years of playing under the system as being around and offering up coaching advice to Ben over the years. We know what we have in Batch, who has come in before and performed extremely well, as Dixon showed inconsistencies and inexperienced mistakes in that Denver game as well as last years away game at Baltimore. That pick 6 wasn't Charlie's fault. That was Emmanuel Sanders , a rookie, obviously running the wrong route. Charlie should NOT be held accountable for that.

I'm no fan of Dixon but he gives us the best opportunity to win and I'm sure the coaching staff knows this.

If they did know this, then Leftwhich wouldn't of been givin the reigns so early and we would of seen Dixon have more playing time with the starting units. Instead, it's already been 2 days since all of this happened and we still haven't heard anything about who's going to start the season. If Dixon gives us the best chance, then the coaching staff would have anointed the job to Dixon immediately. Obviously that isn't the case right now.

Handing the ball off to Dwyer 20 times in a half? Batch is an emergency QB and that's all he'll ever be at this point of his career.

Our emergency QB is Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El. Remember now, the only reason why Batch was knocked down the depth chart was depths of injury, not because of poor play. If Batch doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would of been ranked as our #2 going into any season with the lines of competition still open to the roster.

The reason why Chuck handed the ball off was for security purpose's only since we were down to our last and final quarterback on the roster. Batch had no choice but at the same time, Tomlin had no choice but to use him in a way for him NOT get him injured and that was to not put Batch in a situation to have him in any drop backs.

Batch is not even an average backup anymore

Judging by what? Charlie was the odd man out this season given the unfortunate QB rotation that we were forced to use. It's a numbers game. Now that he's back into the fold, you can't help but think that after how everything just went down, that you have to have an open mind into thinking that Batch could possibly be our best shot to manage the game to victory. The option HAS to be discussed.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:20 AM
First off, this is all speculation. Water-cooler convo. Not one statement in that whole entire article is fact or speaks of truth. If anything is confirmed, I want you to find it Sherlock. If not, STFU about your dumba$$ ramblings about how you're right and realize your place here isn't above no other on this board.

Noone has no idea on how Tomlin is going to use his QB situation... TOMLIN himself doesn't even know who he's going to start. Your know it all nature is getting so lame that it doesn't make your d!ck any bigger than you might think. What you've been saying is no different than what anyone else is saying. All speculation and prediction, no fact.

I'm certainly more comfortable with Charlie in there in the first place and believe Chuck should have been in the mix since day 1. He's a consequent pro who knows how to come off the bench and translate his experience in managing the game better than any other backups on any kind of rosters around the league.

I believe we will be using both QB's in one form or another but givin the competition we've seen throughout, how can one go against Dennis Dixon when the competition screams Dixon VS Leftwhich. It's only common sense that Tomlin will start Dixon but Batch's percentage to win over the coaching staff just went up significantly. Good/Bad practices I'm sure will sway the descision between the two soon.

We were going to use both qbs if Leftwich started so how is that a revelatiion? So what is your stance, dont ride the fence. Do you agree with me and precict Batch to start or Dixon. Its not a case of WHO we want to start or who will make mistakes etc. Its merely WHO you think will start. I made my prediction after I saw how Tomlin used the two after Lefty got hurt. I havent waivers since. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, so be it. My stance is still that Batch starts. Do you agree with me or no?

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
You should read the title of the article you've posted before you go boasting that you were "right again" and that Batch is to be the starter. Nowhere does it say that. It says the word possible a lot, but it never once says definite.

With that said, as soon as Leftwich went down, I knew Batch stood a good chance of being the starter for many of the reasons already mentioned. I'm glad we have him as a veteran option. Even if Dixon does start the first game, and possibly blows it, I feel comfortable that Batch would be the QB behind him.

Don't "report" things that aren't true yet though, it'll make you look like a real dumbass if it ends up not being true.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't think anyone won the job. I think this week of practice will determine who will be chosen simply by the fact of who performs best with the flow of the starting units.

Charlie was the best QB to look that night in Denver, only because he knows this offense and has had it wrapped around his finger throughout the years of playing under the system as being around and offering up coaching advice to Ben over the years. We know what we have in Batch, who has come in before and performed extremely well, as Dixon showed inconsistencies and inexperienced mistakes in that Denver game as well as last years away game at Baltimore. That pick 6 wasn't Charlie's fault. That was Emmanuel Sanders , a rookie, obviously running the wrong route. Charlie should NOT be held accountable for that.

If they did know this, then Leftwhich wouldn't of been givin the reigns so early and we would of seen Dixon have more playing time with the starting units. Instead, it's already been 2 days since all of this happened and we still haven't heard anything about who's going to start the season. If Dixon gives us the best chance, then the coaching staff would have anointed the job to Dixon immediately. Obviously that isn't the case right now.

Our emergency QB is Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El. Remember now, the only reason why Batch was knocked down the depth chart was depths of injury, not because of poor play. If Batch doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would of been ranked as our #2 going into any season with the lines of competition still open to the roster.

The reason why Chuck handed the ball off was for security purpose's only since we were down to our last and final quarterback on the roster. Batch had no choice but at the same time, Tomlin had no choice but to use him in a way for him NOT get him injured and that was to not put Batch in a situation to have him in any drop backs.

Judging by what? Charlie was the odd man out this season given the unfortunate QB rotation that we were forced to use. It's a numbers game. Now that he's back into the fold, you can't help but think that after how everything just went down, that you have to have an open mind into thinking that Batch could possibly be our best shot to manage the game to victory. The option HAS to be discussed.

By these arguments it seems he agrees with me. Sweet
To the other guy. Batch's pick was the result of a hot route. The receiver didnt get it apparently. Anytime you see a pass like that its usually a miscommunication.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:26 AM
You should read the title of the article you've posted before you go boasting that you were "right again" and that Batch is to be the starter. Nowhere does it say that. It says the word possible a lot, but it never once says definite.

With that said, as soon as Leftwich went down, I knew Batch stood a good chance of being the starter for many of the reasons already mentioned. I'm glad we have him as a veteran option. Even if Dixon does start the first game, and possibly blows it, I feel comfortable that Batch would be the QB behind him.

Don't "report" things that aren't true yet though, it'll make you look like a real dumbass if it ends up not being true.

I posted that Bouchette and Mort agree with me and they do. Tomlin will too. If he doesnt then feel free to let me have it. I can take it. Its just you guys who cant take my accuracy.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
We were going to use both qbs if Leftwich started so how is that a revelatiion? So what is your stance, dont ride the fence. Do you agree with me and precict Batch to start or Dixon. Its not a case of WHO we want to start or who will make mistakes etc. Its merely WHO you think will start. I made my prediction after I saw how Tomlin used the two after Lefty got hurt. I havent waivers since. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, so be it. My stance is still that Batch starts. Do you agree with me or no?

Dude, there's no fence to straddle. This is such an up in the air wishy washy situation that I personally have no idea who's going to start nor does anyone else. As far as the whole QB competition was handled via Leftwhich vs Dixon, it only makes sense that Tomlin would anoint Dixon as our starter givin' the way he handled the situation into Dixon being on the brink of pushing Leftwhich to start in the first place. On the other hand, it's obvious that the coaching staff lacks confidence into thinking how green Dixon is & understands the need to hold an open discussion as Batch as a possible starter as well of his known credentials. Lefty going down changed the whole aspect of 1 and 2.

It could go either way. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Batch starts with Dixon as our spark.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Dude, there's no fence to straddle. This is such an up in the air wishy washy situation that I personally have no idea who's going to start nor does anyone else. As far as the whole QB competition was handled via Leftwhich vs Dixon, it only makes sense that Tomlin would anoint Dixon as our starter givin' the way he handled the situation into Dixon being on the brink of pushing Leftwhich to start in the first place. On the other hand, it's obvious that the coaching staff lacks confidence into thinking how green Dixon is & understands the need to hold an open discussion as Batch as a possible starter as well of his known credentials. Lefty going down changed the whole aspect of 1 and 2.

It could go either way. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Batch starts with Dixon as our spark.

So you agree with me now that wasnt so bad now was it? Of course nobody knows and thats why its called a prediction. Thats why I have said since the injury "I predict Batch to start" "I predict we go 4-0 or 3-1". Its a prediction, thats all.

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I posted that Bouchette and Mort agree with me and they do. Tomlin will too. If he doesnt then feel free to let me have it. I can take it. Its just you guys who cant take my accuracy.

This is not about me "letting you have it"...I agree with you. But you act like you're the only one who thinks these things. You're not. You're message board predictions are not as special as you would like them to be.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
So you agree with me now that wasnt so bad now was it? Of course nobody knows and thats why its called a prediction. Thats why I have said since the injury "I predict Batch to start" "I predict we go 4-0 or 3-1". Its a prediction, thats all.

If we can go 3-1 or possibly even split 2-2, then I like our chances with Ben coming back in the lineup. We need to take care of Atlanta in week 1, hands down and that game IS scary, but NOT as scary as traveling to Tennessee. By the time we get to Baltimore, we will know our stance as a team. 3-2/2-2 can get it done before paving way for Ben who has 12 cracks at it.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:42 AM
This is not about me "letting you have it"...I agree with you. But you act like you're the only one who thinks these things. You're not. You're message board predictions are not as special as you would like them to be.

I never said I was. I remember YOU in the pre season chat saying Batch. All I'm doing is highlighting a principle here. People are so quick to disagree with me just because it comes from ME. So I'm just having a little fun with that. That is all. If you dont give me credit, I really could care less, low self esteem is not an issue with me if you couldnt tell already. My arms are long enough, I cant pat myself on the back.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
If we can go 3-1 or possibly even split 2-2, then I like our chances with Ben coming back in the lineup. We need to take care of Atlanta in week 1, hands down and that game IS scary, but NOT as scary as traveling to Tennessee. By the time we get to Baltimore, we will know our stance as a team. 3-2/2-2 can get it done before paving way for Ben who has 12 cracks at it.

2-2? No way. Atlanta is scary how? Dont get me wrong I think that Ryan will be the next Peyton Manning but he isnt ready yet. They wont run on us and we will pressure the kid. We beat Atlanta easy. If Tennessee was starting Collins I would be worried but with Vince Young? He is slow to process the information and will have the pressure in the back of his mind. He will have one foot on a razor blade and the other on a bannana peel, he wont know what to do. We beat them too. The Ravens game has me worried, I cant lie but I still think we beat them 24-13

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Dont get me wrong I think that Ryan will be the next Peyton Manning but he isnt ready yet. They wont run on us and we will pressure the kid. We beat Atlanta easy. He is slow to process the information and will have the pressure in the back of his mind. He will have one foot on a razor blade and the other on a bannana peel, he wont know what to do. We beat them too. The Ravens game has me worried, I cant lie but I still think we beat them 24-13

2-2? No way. Atlanta is scary how?

Don't be sleepin' on Atlanta. They have an offense with weapons that can literally light up scoreboards across the NFL and their defense has immensely improved, let alone having a running game that could run through brick walls with Michael Turner. Our defense still has question marks, specifically at the corner positions and we are certainly going to be tested. Thank GAWD #43 is back, it's going to be a little comforting knowing he's manning mid-field again as well as giving us that option as a roving "backer."

If Tennessee was starting Collins I would be worried but with Vince Young?

For the record, Collins gave us fits and played really well against us the last two season we faced him. He also led Tennessee to a first place seed in '08. I think Tennessee could be a sleeper this year. The start of last season had to be a fluke and history shows that not only do we have trouble with Tennessee period, but we have even MORE trouble traveling down there. A tough place to play no question and say what you want about Vince Young, but it looks like he has that IT factor as far as giving his team the best chance to win even though I think we can rattle him early and often.

I'd love to see us go 4-0/3-1 but until we see something worth noting about how we respond to any kind of the adversity we've been dealt with, 2-2 seems more likely at the moment.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 09:58 AM

No. The the title of you post was, "RIGHT AGAIN.....LOOKS LIKE BATCH TO BE STARTER", which to me means, Batch is the starter. Batch hasn't been named the starter yet, so nobody knows what you're talking about. This article is all speculation. So, the title of your post should have been, "PROBABLY RIGHT AGAIN.......BOUCHETTE THINKS BATCH WILL START"

I personally feel all signs point to Dixon starting. During the entire training camp, it was totally a two man competition between Dixon and Leftwich. When Lefty went down, it's only intuitive that Dixon will start. It seems to me, that Tomlin wanted to start Dixon the whole time, but just wanted Dixon to show him something. I think that's why he put him in even in the second half against Denver rather than Leftwich. Most people would have seen enough from Dixon in the first half to know Lefty was the starter, so why wouldn't Tomlin put in Lefty to get him some work?

Of course, if I turn out to be right, I guess I have to create a thread called, "RIGHT AGAIN......DIXON TO START". lol

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Don't be sleepin' on Atlanta. They have an offense with weapons that can literally light up scoreboards across the NFL and their defense has immensely improved, let alone having a running game that could run through brick walls with Michael Turner. Our defense still has question marks, specifically at the corner positions and we are certainly going to be tested. Thank GAWD #43 is back, it's going to be a little comforting knowing he's manning mid-field again as well as giving us that option as a roving "backer."

For the record, Collins gave us fits and played really well against us the last two season we faced him. He also led Tennessee to a first place seed in '08. I think Tennessee could be a sleeper this year. The start of last season had to be a fluke and history shows that not only do we have trouble with Tennessee period, but we have even MORE trouble traveling down there. A tough place to play no question and say what you want about Vince Young, but it looks like he has that IT factor as far as giving his team the best chance to win even though I think we can rattle him early and often.

I'd love to see us go 4-0/3-1 but until we see something worth noting about how we respond to any kind of the adversity we've been dealt with, 2-2 seems more likely at the moment.

Time will tell. I'm not worried about any of those teams. We are good. You'll see.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 10:59 AM
No. The the title of you post was, "RIGHT AGAIN.....LOOKS LIKE BATCH TO BE STARTER", which to me means, Batch is the starter. Batch hasn't been named the starter yet, so nobody knows what you're talking about. This article is all speculation. So, the title of your post should have been, "PROBABLY RIGHT AGAIN.......BOUCHETTE THINKS BATCH WILL START"

I personally feel all signs point to Dixon starting. During the entire training camp, it was totally a two man competition between Dixon and Leftwich. When Lefty went down, it's only intuitive that Dixon will start. It seems to me, that Tomlin wanted to start Dixon the whole time, but just wanted Dixon to show him something. I think that's why he put him in even in the second half against Denver rather than Leftwich. Most people would have seen enough from Dixon in the first half to know Lefty was the starter, so why wouldn't Tomlin put in Lefty to get him some work?

Of course, if I turn out to be right, I guess I have to create a thread called, "RIGHT AGAIN......DIXON TO START". lol

And Batch ISNT going to be named the starter to keep ATL guessing. Come game time we will see. The information I posted from Mort and Ed leans to me being right. Ed knows something but doesnt want to tip Tomlins hand so he throws in a dispensation. The reason Leftwich was starting over Dixon in the 1st place is due to experience. That still applies in regards to Batch. Tomlin didnt put Lefty in because Byron has repeatedly said "I dont need the reps". I disagree but he is a vet and vets need less work. That was my point with Ben. Tomlin said in the beginning that Dixon would get the most reps because he needed the most and Batch would get the least because he needed the least.
If you want to start a thread entitled that then feel free, I will be in there giving you your props for a most accurate prediction.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Time will tell. I'm not worried about any of those teams. We are good. You'll see.

I know we are good. This team is full of veteran leadership that has won 2 recent Super Bowls with pretty much the same team. If it would be ANY team to rise up and take on this job, it's the Steelers. I'm highly confident but you can't overlook or deny our problems.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I know we are good. This team is full of veteran leadership that has won 2 recent Super Bowls with pretty much the same team. If it would be ANY team to rise up and take on this job, it's the Steelers. I'm highly confident but you can't overlook or deny our problems.

Pre season games are not the litmus test. The Colts habitually suck in pre season. Means nothing. Game plans are vanilla, schemes are vanilly. Our only problem is our Qb wont be there for 4 weeks. That hurts but we will overcome it.

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Johnny-law pimpin' his ride and hitchin' on Ed's goober wagon - this should be fun.

jollyrob68
09-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Even with a Healthy Lefwich I would of started DIxon or Batch. I like Batch and think He's better than Leftwich. Both are fragile. Lets see what the kid has and dont hold him back. Win by any/every means necessary.

I think there would be less pressure on Dixion if Batch started and he came in afterwards. Use him in pacakages and If he's on a roll then let him roll.

I also stated on other sites that we should Inquire about Matt Leinart( adjusted contract). We could perhaps trade Justin Hartwig & Patrick Bailey for MAtt Leinart. For insurance. If Matt Leinart is released sign him to vet minimum because we never know when Ben wil be Ben again and next year they wont sign Batch or Leftwich.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 11:08 AM
No way the Rooneys have TWO partying quarterbacks. No way.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
If you want to start a thread entitled that then feel free, I will be in there giving you your props for a most accurate prediction.

I wouldn't do that because I'm not five years old. If anything, I would just come back to this thread and make a comment. But I would never even think about starting a new thread just say 'I told you so'.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't do that because I'm not five years old. If anything, I would just come back to this thread and make a comment. But I would never even think about starting a new thread just say 'I told you so'.

YOU said it not me. Whatever makes your boogers harden bro.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
YOU said it not me. Whatever makes your boogers harden bro.

I was being sarcastic. Sorry if you didn't get that.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 12:37 PM
As was I. If you couldnt tell then please go see the title of this thread. More humor. I got it on good faith that Batch and Dixon will share the reps with the 1st team. Good job Tomlin. Keep em guessing

MattsMe
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

steeltheone
09-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Its fairly evident Tomlin has no faith in Dixon to be the starter....

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Whats new? As soon as Leftwich went down I "reported" that I believe Batch would be the starter or inexperienced Dennis Dixon.

Gee, that's quite the earth shattering revelation there...since the Steelers didn't sign any other QBs to the roster, that leaves.........yup, Dixon and Batch. Who woulda thunk it, that our starter would be one of those two?:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Are you trying to tell me that we decided not to start Troy Polamalu at QB afterall?

It seems Ed Bouchette and Chris Mortenson agree. As I said before despite our recent injury, I wont back off of my earlier prediction of 4-0 or 3-1.

You are such a frigging loser. YOUR prediction of 3-1 or 4-0? Let me guess, if we do end up going 3-1 or 4-0, we will all be treated to another one of your pathetic, self-gratifying "I told you so" threads, even though most of us have been oursleves predicting a 3-1 or 4-0 start to the season for months.

Ed and Mort agree with you? Well hallelujah.....in case you haven't noticed, they agree with LOTS of us.

Your posts are getting dumber and dumber....

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Pre season games are not the litmus test. The Colts habitually suck in pre season. Means nothing. Game plans are vanilla, schemes are vanilly. Our only problem is our Qb wont be there for 4 weeks. That hurts but we will overcome it.

But I thought that Ben sucks? I thought Dixon was gonna challenge Big Ben for the starting QB position?

ricardisimo
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I never said I was. I remember YOU in the pre season chat saying Batch. All I'm doing is highlighting a principle here. People are so quick to disagree with me just because it comes from ME. So I'm just having a little fun with that. That is all. If you dont give me credit, I really could care less, low self esteem is not an issue with me if you couldnt tell already. My arms are long enough, I cant pat myself on the back.

No, people find you disagreeable (for rather obvious reasons) which is hardly the same as disagreeing with you. I don't know that anyone cares whether or not you are in agreement with them, or they with you.

As for Batch vs. Dixon, I still say it's a moot point. Batch will start and get hurt within the first game, and then we'll have only one QB. I would think the smart thing to do would be keep Batch at no. 3, and have him just hand off repeatedly like he did this week.

PhantomJB93
09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Honestly, I think this is the media overblowing the amount of playing time Batch got the other day, and not looking a how he got so much time BECAUSE they pulled Dixon quick BECAUSE they value him more and dont want him hurt. This is just like the "Ben is gettin 5 games" and "Ben is getting 3 games" bs, its just one guy says his opinion and everybody spreads it around until everyone thinks its fact. I still see no logic in how we would give Dixon so much practice time and so much playing time as the 3rd/2nd string, only to have the 4th string jump over him once the second string goes down. He did badly in the 3rd game but he was pretty damn good in the rest and I don think his performance in the 3rd game alone is enough to do something as drastic as throw all that time spent grooming him as the starter away and go with Batch.

I still think Dixon is there week 1...and if not, Batch will just break his hand/foot/leg/arm/neck by the 2nd quarter and well be back to Dixon anyway

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Gee, that's quite the earth shattering revelation there...since the Steelers didn't sign any other QBs to the roster, that leaves.........yup, Dixon and Batch. Who woulda thunk it, that our starter would be one of those two?:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Are you trying to tell me that we decided not to start Troy Polamalu at QB afterall?

You are such a frigging loser. YOUR prediction of 3-1 or 4-0? Let me guess, if we do end up going 3-1 or 4-0, we will all be treated to another one of your pathetic, self-gratifying "I told you so" threads, even though most of us have been oursleves predicting a 3-1 or 4-0 start to the season for months.

Ed and Mort agree with you? Well hallelujah.....in case you haven't noticed, they agree with LOTS of us.

Your posts are getting dumber and dumber....

Yes you will be treated. At least you can do is say thank you. What goes around comes around. If I'm wrong Im sure you will be all over me. I can take it. Why cant you? I think Batch being the starter is the right call.

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 03:34 AM
But I thought that Ben sucks? I thought Dixon was gonna challenge Big Ben for the starting QB position?

Show me where I have EVER said Ben sucks. I will be waiting

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 03:35 AM
No, people find you disagreeable (for rather obvious reasons) which is hardly the same as disagreeing with you. I don't know that anyone cares whether or not you are in agreement with them, or they with you.

As for Batch vs. Dixon, I still say it's a moot point. Batch will start and get hurt within the first game, and then we'll have only one QB. I would think the smart thing to do would be keep Batch at no. 3, and have him just hand off repeatedly like he did this week.

I disagree. I think you guy search this board for one of my posts. You guys like me admit it. Batch wont get hurt and it he does all you Dixon fans can be happy.

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Honestly, I think this is the media overblowing the amount of playing time Batch got the other day, and not looking a how he got so much time BECAUSE they pulled Dixon quick BECAUSE they value him more and dont want him hurt. This is just like the "Ben is gettin 5 games" and "Ben is getting 3 games" bs, its just one guy says his opinion and everybody spreads it around until everyone thinks its fact. I still see no logic in how we would give Dixon so much practice time and so much playing time as the 3rd/2nd string, only to have the 4th string jump over him once the second string goes down. He did badly in the 3rd game but he was pretty damn good in the rest and I don think his performance in the 3rd game alone is enough to do something as drastic as throw all that time spent grooming him as the starter away and go with Batch.

I still think Dixon is there week 1...and if not, Batch will just break his hand/foot/leg/arm/neck by the 2nd quarter and well be back to Dixon anyway

At least you are man enough to take a stand. I respect that. Dixon will get plenty of time in the "Dixon Pachages". Batch is not injury prone, he has just been unfortunate.

pete74
09-05-2010, 04:49 AM
if they do start Batch then they should release Dixon. let him go somewere else and have a chance to play. i want to see Dixon start because i belive he gives us the best chance to win with his scrambeling ability but if tomlin dosnt feel the same way then cut him. he was involved in a QB contraversy with Leftwich all summer and now Leftwich goes down and the rumors start that Batch may start. its unfair to Dixon. if they wont start Dixon then they obviously have no faith whatsoever in him and should release him

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 05:14 AM
if they do start Batch then they should release Dixon. let him go somewere else and have a chance to play. i want to see Dixon start because i belive he gives us the best chance to win with his scrambeling ability but if tomlin dosnt feel the same way then cut him. he was involved in a QB contraversy with Leftwich all summer and now Leftwich goes down and the rumors start that Batch may start. its unfair to Dixon. if they wont start Dixon then they obviously have no faith whatsoever in him and should release him

Cut Dixon and be left with One Qb? Not likely. I'm saying I THINK they will start Batch based on his experience. It doesnt mean that I think Batch is better. Experience is a commodity in the NFL. You can have all the talent in the world but you will be exposed if you lack experience. That is the dominant edge that Batch and Leftwich have over Dixon.

cloppbeast
09-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Well said. :hatsoff:

steelcityjameser
09-05-2010, 10:38 AM
to me, it seems as if all signs point to dixon starting. but what is really concerning is how i just lost 5 minutes of my life, which i will never get back, reading this thread. so the entire point of this is ego-driven, look at me i'm making a prediction, i will try to answer anyone who disagrees me with not-so-intelligent insults? hmm. i'm thinking self-esteem might be an issue.

iDash
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, I personally,
think it sux coach has no faith in Dixon

BlockMonsta
09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
My post was deleted why?

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 11:33 PM
to me, it seems as if all signs point to dixon starting. but what is really concerning is how i just lost 5 minutes of my life, which i will never get back, reading this thread. so the entire point of this is ego-driven, look at me i'm making a prediction, i will try to answer anyone who disagrees me with not-so-intelligent insults? hmm. i'm thinking self-esteem might be an issue.

Sounds like Haterism is an issue. When I'm wrong (not often) guys are all over me. Do you hear me whinning? No sir. Then dont whine when I return the favor. Fair exchange is never robbery.

mesaSteeler
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
NFL from the sidelines

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Look for Batch to be the starter
Dale Lolley
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After thinking about it for the past couple of days, the Steelers appear to be ready to head into the regular season using their backup quarterbacks to Ben Roethlisberger the same way they had planned - with one exception.

It looks like they're leaning to substituting Charlie Batch for injured Byron Leftwich and use Dennis Dixon as a change of pace.

The move actually has some merit – particularly since the Steelers feel Leftwich's knee injury will be more of the two to three-week variety. That could have him back in Week 2, with Week 3 at Tampa Bay being the better possibility.

They'll tell him to stay in the pocket and leave the scrambling to the kid.

If you remember, two of Batch's more recent injuries - a broken collar bone in a preseason game and a broken hand during a regular season start - came on him running with the ball or at least attempting a QB sneak.

The Steelers will drive home the point to Batch that he has to stay in the pocket and will emphasize a safe game plan that won't put him in a lot of jeopardy - if you can do that with a QB in an NFL game.

posted by Dale Lolley at 12:37 PM 1 Comments Links to this post

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Makes sense to me.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 03:33 AM
What Batch does better than Ben, Leftwich and Dixon is that he leads the receivers so that they can run after the catch. He has uncanny touch. He is the prototypical anticipatory passer. I just wish he had a little more juice on the ball. But Montana never did and it worked for him. Yeah, Batch is like an indigent Montana. The poor mans Montana.

rbryan
09-06-2010, 03:49 AM
I love CB as much as anyone and wish beyond all hope he can get the job done if indeed this is the call....what a story it would be if the hometown vet could do well.

Just be prepared to take off the the rose colored glasses and except Dixon .....

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I have no problem with accepting Dixon. It doesnt matter who we have at qb. We are good.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 06:10 AM
A wildcard in all of this is Leftwich. He is telling Steeler officials that he can start vs the Falcons. Steeler officials say that is not likely.

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Looks like there's a new twist to this whole debacle. I'm not so sure Batch will be given the starting position after all...will just have to wait and see though.

Ed: Tomlin Lists Leftwich, Dixon as 'Starters'
MONDAY, 06 SEPTEMBER 2010 11:54 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE
Is Mike Tomlin already playing mind games with his starting quarterback?

The Steelers just released their first official depth chart of the regular season and they list two quarterbacks as co-starters. Not one of them is the likely starter.

They list injured Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon as co-starters at quarterback and Charlie Batch as the backup.

Now, I’ve covered this team for 26 seasons for the Post-Gazette and this is the first time I remember seeing co-starters listed at ANY position.

Leftwich cannot play; he’s out 2-4 weeks with a sprained MCL, so right off the bat we know that’s a depth chart lie. And, as I’ve pointed out to you in the past, they continue to perpetuate the myth that Ike Taylor is the starting left cornerback when he’s been the starting right cornerback in every game in which he does not cover one specific receiver.

So, I think Tomlin is trying to pull a lame attempt at throwing people off the sent by listing every quarterback on his roster as the co-starter except for Batch.

One truth did work its way into Tomlin’s official depth chart, however, and that is them listing David Johnson as their starting fullback. He’s also listed as the third-team tight end but he has been their starting fullback all along.

The team also finally got around to announcing that former Steelers tight end Mark Bruener has been hired as a college scout, weeks after he has been doing that job for them.

http://ht.ly/18T8HQ

cloppbeast
09-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Looks like there's a new twist to this whole debacle. I'm not so sure Batch will be given the starting position after all...will just have to wait and see though.

Ed: Tomlin Lists Leftwich, Dixon as 'Starters'
MONDAY, 06 SEPTEMBER 2010 11:54 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE
Is Mike Tomlin already playing mind games with his starting quarterback?

The Steelers just released their first official depth chart of the regular season and they list two quarterbacks as co-starters. Not one of them is the likely starter.

They list injured Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon as co-starters at quarterback and Charlie Batch as the backup.

Now, Iíve covered this team for 26 seasons for the Post-Gazette and this is the first time I remember seeing co-starters listed at ANY position.

Leftwich cannot play; heís out 2-4 weeks with a sprained MCL, so right off the bat we know thatís a depth chart lie. And, as Iíve pointed out to you in the past, they continue to perpetuate the myth that Ike Taylor is the starting left cornerback when heís been the starting right cornerback in every game in which he does not cover one specific receiver.

So, I think Tomlin is trying to pull a lame attempt at throwing people off the sent by listing every quarterback on his roster as the co-starter except for Batch.

One truth did work its way into Tomlinís official depth chart, however, and that is them listing David Johnson as their starting fullback. Heís also listed as the third-team tight end but he has been their starting fullback all along.

The team also finally got around to announcing that former Steelers tight end Mark Bruener has been hired as a college scout, weeks after he has been doing that job for them.

http://ht.ly/18T8HQ

What's up with Bouchette's attitude? Has he always been a big douche bag?

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 01:22 PM
What's up with Bouchette's attitude? Has he always been a big douche bag?

Yeah, pretty much lol.

BlockMonsta
09-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I have no problem with accepting Dixon. It doesnt matter who we have at qb. We are good.

You sure changed your tune..according to thr Steelers facebook......"Coach Mike Tomlin announced that Dennis Dixon will start at QB on Sunday vs. Atlanta."

StainlessStill
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Facebook confirms it? Is there any other link that could be provided for confirmation? Not seeing it anywhere on NFL.com, ESPN.com or any other Steelers site.

Fire Haley
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
WRONG AGAIN!

Dixon named starter for opener against Falcons

Dennis Dixon will start at quarterback for the Steelers when they open the season Sunday against Atlanta at Heinz Field.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that today after Dixon ran the first-team offense in practice and Charlie Batch ran the second team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10249/1085513-100.stm#ixzz0ymMXqZVr

that being said - - - **** 'em! I don't care who starts...if they suck in the first half, sit their ass and put the other one in for second half.

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Facebook confirms it? Is there any other link that could be provided for confirmation? Not seeing it anywhere on NFL.com, ESPN.com or any other Steelers site.

No, no confirmation yet, just reports of Dixon practicing with the first team offense today.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/september/06/latest-steelers-news-dixon-running-with-first-team-offense.html

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I spoketh too soon...did not see that article under google news yet. Thanks Killer!

Fire Haley
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I spoketh too soon...did not see that article under google news yet. Thanks Killer!

Who's your daddy?

BlockMonsta
09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah dont believe me..I said it first...five points for me................I know it's facebook, but the Steelers page seems to have information before quite a fe sources.

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Who's your daddy?

You need to say it with more authority next time. Asking me questions like that will just confuse us both in the end.

Your pimp hand groweth weak.

Fire Haley
09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Let me be the first to say...

Run Dixon Run!

DanRooney
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Wrong again. :thumbsup:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Haha. This thread failed.

JackHammer
09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
WRONG AGAIN RETARD LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

tony hipchest
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
since this thread was really nothing more than and attention wh0ring stunt in the first place, i think we can finally lock it down.

ive seen this many times before, when some people abandon simple confidence and embrace c0ckiness posting their "bold" predictions.

they ultimately end up looking like a jackass, when proven wrong for the thousandth time, many people then come along and rub the OP's noses in the :shit:

i think i can sum it all up and speak for everybody when i say...

:point: :poop:.............................:rofl: