PDA

View Full Version : the official & certified Batch vs. Dixon voting booth

joeyssteelcurtain
09-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I do like Dixon but i think batch will make less mistakes. What do you guys think

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Batch has showed that his handle over the offense over the years is good enough to come in and give us what we need. A well managed game that can get the running game going and control a clock managed game to give the defense a shot at winning the game. Everyone thinks that with Dixon in there, we are going to explode with flavor when in reality, he will go in there with a vanilla playbook and be asked not to lose the game. If that's the case, Batch is our best option at game manager who can take care of the football by any means necc. I believe using Dixon in spark-like packages is the key to success the first 4.

Batch starting with Dixon coming in for a spark is what I'd like to see.

DanRooney
09-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I do like Dixon but i think batch will make less mistakes. What do you guys think

Based on one preseason game? Batch will make mistakes because he has no arm strength or mobility. The last time Batch started a game for us he threw 2 picks and was outplayed by Troy Smith.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
In a game where re rested Ben most of the defense (Joey Porter etc). Come on bro

ETL
09-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I was not a fan of starting Dixon over Leftwich but if you gave me the choice of Dixon or Batch, I would want Dixon. I know what I have in Batch but I don't really know with Dixon. Being pushed to the wall like this, I am now ok with rolling the dice with Dixon. Dixon wasn't worth the risk when we had Leftwich around but he is with Batch as our only other option.

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I'll root for whoever Tomlin goes with obviously, but I think Batch would be the better option.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I love how Tomlin doesnt show his hand. Must be giving the birds fits.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the game plane will be the same no matter who is in there. Run, Run ,Pass and a trick play here and there

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Not me. Arians is not Whisenhunt. Plus with 8 and 9 in the box we will be forced to pass. You cant impose your will on a team that is stacking 9. Simple math, 6 and 7 cant block 8 or 9. I see us passing 26-32 times.

scsteeler
09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll root for whoever Tomlin goes with obviously, but I think Batch would be the better option.

:applaudit::applaudit:

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Not me. Arians is not Whisenhunt. Plus with 8 and 9 in the box we will be forced to pass. You cant impose your will on a team that is stacking 9. Simple math, 6 and 7 cant block 8 or 9. I see us passing 26-32 times.

No way. Passing 26-32 times means we are playing catchup in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If Ben was in, then yes, I see him getting atleast 30 some throws a game but with Batch of Dixon? No way. 18-20 TOPS. Our running game is going to be as important as ever. If it's ANY TIME we get back to our roots, these will be the games to do so and that includes controlling the T.O.P.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't like Batch. His balls float so every time he throws a pass he makes me nervous. If they had confidence in him, they should have let him pass the ball around a little in that last game instead of 4 passes for 10 yards.

ricardisimo
09-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it's a moot point. Batch is the better overall quarterback, but he's going to turn his head just a bit too quickly at some point in the first game and snap several vertebrae. This is not the line for someone as fragile as he seems to be to play behind. We should keep him for emergencies, and have him hand off repeatedly just like in the Carolina game.

tunes4life
09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Go with Batch. Then when he's hurt after two plays, bring in Dixon.

:noidea:

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I think it's a moot point. Batch is the better overall quarterback, but he's going to turn his head just a bit too quickly at some point in the first game and snap several vertebrae. This is not the line for someone as fragile as he seems to be to play behind. We should keep him for emergencies, and have him hand off repeatedly just like in the Carolina game.

You know, I'm sick and tired of hearing how fragile Charlie is. If you look back at his injuries, it didn't really have anything to do with age or being brittle. The first injury came when his collar bone was snapped due to lowering his shoulder into a linebacker some years ago.

Everyone knows it takes only what? A little amount of pressure to break a collar bone during a collision. The one last season was a wrist injury, one of those freakish accidents that happen when you hit your hand on your own teammate with a follow through or simply landing on it bent backards. There are many bones in the wrist muscle that could be snapped quite easily.

It's not like Batch was dropping back to pass and his ankles buckled for being weak or popping his hamstring every play. Noone said anything about Mendenhall popping his shoulder out of place his rookie season and he was what? 20 years old? Batch's injuries were along the same extent of things happening during the game of abuse of contact. He'll be fine if he gets the nod.

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
If Dixon doesn't start - why is he even on this team?

After 3 years, and the coaches still don't have confidence in this guy? That tells me a lot.

They need to come up with better QB plan next year. Byron is frail and Dixon does not have the confidence of the coaches.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 05:36 PM
If Dixon doesn't start - why is he even on this team?

After 3 years, and the coaches still don't have confidence in this guy? That tells me a lot.

They need to come up with better QB plan next year. Byron is frail and Dixon does not have the confidence of the coaches.

Dixon is certainly still being homegrown bred into a professional QB, esp that of valuable backup as well as potential starter one day.

He was a late round draft pick and everyone has always said that year for the Quarterback would be around year 3 or 4, judging by how quickly they learn and become accustomed to a pro-style offense. Dixon, IMHO, is right on track. He made strides into making his way up the depth chart in years time and is still learning his role in the offense.

He HAS shown inconsistencies in his game but at the same time, has severely grown and matured comparing to where he was just one year ago and I expect that to continue. His style certainly has a lot to do with it also since he's more of a man that is uses his legs to make plays happen when he initially is being asked to stick in the pocket since that is now the norm in today's NFL.

Who knows, he could or couldn't get the start, but I'm sure his game will elevate regardless since he's going to be getting playing time anyway you slice it.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
You know, I'm sick and tired of hearing how fragile Charlie is. If you look back at his injuries, it didn't really have anything to do with age or being brittle.

You just made me laugh. His name should be Charlie "Brittle" Batch...or how about Charlie "Soft" Batch ...like soft batch cookies. lol

I don't know how old you are but I'm in my 30s. It gets harder to get up when you fall. Also it hurts more when you get hit. lol

mikegrimey
09-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I voted for Batch, he seems the safer bet and knows the offense as well as anybody.

As for the jokes that he'll get injured a few snaps in anyway, we'll see. It's valid to bring up that he got injured the past two seasons but that doesn't mean it'll happen in 4 games this year. I think he's the better choice of Dixon, who blew his big chance against Denver by trying too hard. A lot of commentators seemed enamored of his ability to run, but that'll only get you so far in a real football game and would basically render us defeated it we went down by two scores.

We'll see if I'm right or wrong but I called Batch being starter right after Leftwich went down.

StainlessStill
09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
You just made me laugh. His name should be Charlie "Brittle" Batch...or how about Charlie "Soft" Batch ...like soft batch cookies. lol

I don't know how old you are but I'm in my 30s. It gets harder to get up when you fall. Also it hurts more when you get hit. lol

Hmm, wonder how Brett Favre REALLY feels then?

Charlie Batch may be mid 30's, but he is putting your logic to shame since A.) He is an professional football athlete (since 1998.) B.) His job is to keep himself in tip-top shape via training amongst NFL programs and C.) He is probably set out to start the 2010 season for our Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yes, he took unfortunate hits the past few years. But if you read on in my passage, those hits could of taken anyone down and was NOT the form of old age. Anybody, with the slightest amount of pressure, could break a collarbone/wrist. Be thankful we have someone like Batch on our roster, he MIGHT just come in handy and I think our coaching staff knows that as well.

BengalDestroyer
09-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Dixon needs to be the starter. Our line isn't good enough for Batch to play comfortably which I do believe will lead to mistakes. Dixon has that ability that no one can deny, where he can extend the play if he had to and pick up that first down, which can be critical

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hmm, wonder how Brett Favre REALLY feels then?

Charlie Batch may be mid 30's, but he is putting your logic to shame since A.) He is an professional football athlete (since 1998.) B.) His job is to keep himself in tip-top shape via training amongst NFL programs and C.) He is probably set out to start the 2010 season for our Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yes, he took unfortunate hits the past few years. But if you read on in my passage, those hits could of taken anyone down and was NOT the form of old age. Anybody, with the slightest amount of pressure, could break a collarbone/wrist. Be thankful we have someone like Batch on our roster, he MIGHT just come in handy and I think our coaching staff knows that as well.

Nobody is putting my logic to shame. It is what it is and yes, I do believe that Bret Farve hurts more with each hit every year. This year will be harder than last and last year was harder than 5 years ago.

It's easy for Batch to stay healthy when he is not playing. I believe he appears to be more than he is (sort of like Maddox) and once we see him play we will know (like Maddox). I still remember that great Baltimore game that Ben had and he came in and threw 2 interceptions (I believe). I might not remember all the details but I remember being discouraged by his play.

I wasn't being facetious with my comment about pain. I'm sure other older guys can tell you. I remember being a kid playing tackle football and getting hit by 5 guys and hitting the ground...no pain. I'm pretty sure if I just went out and dove by myself and landed now that when I hit the ground there would be pain. lol I notice if something (a door or some other item) hits your bones...ouch.

StainlessStill
09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I remember being a kid playing tackle football and getting hit by 5 guys and hitting the ground...no pain. I'm pretty sure if I just went out and dove by myself and landed now that when I hit the ground there would be pain. lol

I really laughed out loud at that. Good stuff.:applaudit::tt04:

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I really laughed out loud at that. Good stuff.:applaudit::tt04:

You know what's funny? I thought about going to test it out...then I thought Nah...lol

I forgot, they do have pads on but some of those players are aiming to cause pain.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Its a close vote it seems we are 50 50

ricardisimo
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
No, the Dixonites won, both in our poll and in reality (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10249/1085513-100.stm#ixzz0ymNG3pjx), it would appear.