PDA

View Full Version : Ben Apologizes to Teammates

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Hines Ward: Ben Roethlisberger 'broke down' in emotional apology to Steelers on Thursday

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward said that QB Ben Roethlisberger emotionally addressed his teammates on Thursday night after his final game before a four-game suspension began.

"He broke down," Ward told Steel City Insider, via CBS Sports. "The reality sets in. He's feeling the pain because now it's hitting home."

Roethlisberger appeared in the Steelers' 19-3 win against the Panthers before heading to New York on Friday, where NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reduced his suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy from six to four games.

The QB will not be allowed around the team during his suspension, so Thursday's game was the last interaction he'll be allowed before he serves the punishment.

"He apologized to all the guys," Ward said. "It was very heartwarming. He didn't have to do it."

Roethlisberger's suspension stemmed from an investigation into an alleged sexual assault against a 20-year-old woman. He was not arrested or charged, and later admitted to "dumb" and "immature" behavior.

Steel City Insider's Mike Prisuta reported that Roethlisberger wept while addressing his teammates. Said the QB:

"It's very tough, kind of emotional. I just gotta do what I gotta do."

Steelers president Art Rooney II expressed support for Roethlisberger on Friday. The Steelers have not announced who will start at QB in Roethlisberger's absence. Byron Leftwich suffered a torn MCL on Thursday, which could leave the team to select from either third-year player Dennis Dixon or veteran Charlie Batch.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/hines-ward-ben-roethlisberger-broke-down-in-emotional-apology-to-steelers-on-thursday/1

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
What they dont mention is that he broke down in front of Goodell too. I've always said Ben needs someone to stand up to him. Cowher didnt. Tomlin didnt. Goodell did and look at the results. If it turns out to make Ben a better person that is great for the Steelers. GO STEELERS!!!!!

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
whatever - that's between him and the team - reporters should butt out

QB guru will try to keep Roethlisberger sharp

The most important person in Ben Roethlisberger’s life over the next month will be George Whitfield Jr., a quarterback guru from San Diego.

“It will initiate through Ben,” said Whitfield, 32, who owns Whitfield Athletix, a quarterbacks academy, in San Diego. “I’m really going to draw from him what he’d like to do, what he’d like to put his focus on. Once we (determine) those areas, I’ll begin wrapping the workouts around them.

“You can be assured it will be a lot of the classic quarterback ingredients: a ton of drop drills, a lot of footwork, making sure he’s in rhythm, getting his endurance up. Just making sure we’re replicating his routine as best as he can as if he were across town in practice.

“The game plan is to get him a good daily workout, try to put him through the paces. I’m going to let him craft this thing, and then just provide the technical support and fire behind it.”

“I was really blown away by how athletic and agile he is,” Whitfield said of Roethlisberger. “I mean, he’s built like a defensive end, or a big basketball player, but he’s really light on his feet. I can’t believe how a man who’s 6-5 and 250 plus pounds can move and have that type of agility.”

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski said the most important thing Roethlisberger can do over the next month is throw the football.

“I think it is absolutely critical that he continues to throw, probably four or five times a week, to keep himself sharp,” Jaworski said. “Finding guys to throw to is what I would recommend.”

Whitfield said he doesn’t know where the workouts will take place:”It will probably be a high school football field or some area where we can get some work done and try to keep the circus atmosphere down as much as we can,” he said — or who else will participate in the workouts. Roethlisberger and the Tollners are handling those logistics.

Roethlisberger is expected to throw to receivers who have NFL experience but are currently out of the league. A defensive back or two likely will join them.

“He’s going to have to throw some ‘competition balls’ I call them,” Whitfield said. “ ‘I have to beat this defensive back aside from just completing the pass.’ “

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-08/sharp-debut-for-big/story/qb-guru-will-try-to-keep-roethlisberger-sharp

scsteeler
09-04-2010, 01:10 PM
What they dont mention is that he broke down in front of Goodell too. I've always said Ben needs someone to stand up to him. Cowher didnt. Tomlin didnt. Goodell did and look at the results. If it turns out to make Ben a better person that is great for the Steelers. GO STEELERS!!!!!

We don't Know if Cowher or Tomlin did not stood up to Ben, I think they did but had either one of them took Ben out of a few games for his off field antics the fans and even maybe some of the front office would be calling for the coaches Head. I think each coach handled Ben in the appropriate manner.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
We don't Know if Cowher or Tomlin did not stood up to Ben, I think they did but had either one of them took Ben out of a few games for his off field antics the fans and even maybe some of the front office would be calling for the coaches Head. I think each coach handled Ben in the appropriate manner.

Coaches can't play babysitter to these athletes who are millionaires by the time their 20-21. This is a ego driven athletic talent base, as well as an ego driven game. I'm sure everyone within the organization has tried to talk to Ben in such a manor, including Cowher AND Tomlin. Cowher even admitted to try talking to Ben when his responses were "we're winning."

..And Ben was certainly right. Of course these players go through behavior controlled systems to act like a profession of the business but winning changes everything. Ben was always in the shadow of winning football and that left the coaching staff stranded on how to handle the QB of their football team OFF the field.

You bet your ass if we would have been losing all these years, then a Mike Shannahan/Albert Haynseworth type situation would of been brewed up and that's the LAST thing Pittsburgh OR the Rooney's would want to deal with. We did well. In a way, this is a blessing in disguise. Everyone will come out a better person because of it and ultimately, our football team.

SoCalFan
09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
WHEN HE COMES BACK,LOOK OUT!!!! Im hoping he comes back with fire and determination like we have never seen before to put him back at the top of the league and show the world we have some great young recievers.Going 3-1 would be great,also he will be rested and healthy.Hope he gets game speed and timing down quick!

scsteeler
09-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I think Ben will come back with something to prove and yes I agree look out cause he will Show why his name should be listed as one of the Elite QB's.

I would be happy with 2-2 record when Ben gets back.

zulater
09-04-2010, 07:16 PM

How do you know Cowher didn't? I know he and Ben seem to be on good terms now, but I also know his relationship with Cowher was always a little uneasy when Cowher was the coach.And of course Ben didn't bother to keep it secret that he didn't have much use for Whisenhunt. It's only since Tomlin took over that Ben seems to have gotten the key to the executive bathroom. the golf outings with Arains and all.

Anyway, for the most part for a change i think I'm in agreement with your overall point. I think the Steelers had become Ben's enablers prior to whatever happened in Ga. and I think it's a good thing that it's changed. ( hopefully it has)

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Coaches can't play babysitter to these athletes who are millionaires by the time their 20-21. This is a ego driven athletic talent base, as well as an ego driven game. I'm sure everyone within the organization has tried to talk to Ben in such a manor, including Cowher AND Tomlin. Cowher even admitted to try talking to Ben when his responses were "we're winning."

..And Ben was certainly right. Of course these players go through behavior controlled systems to act like a profession of the business but winning changes everything. Ben was always in the shadow of winning football and that left the coaching staff stranded on how to handle the QB of their football team OFF the field.

You bet your ass if we would have been losing all these years, then a Mike Shannahan/Albert Haynseworth type situation would of been brewed up and that's the LAST thing Pittsburgh OR the Rooney's would want to deal with. We did well. In a way, this is a blessing in disguise. Everyone will come out a better person because of it and ultimately, our football team.

+1000:tt04:

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 04:03 AM
How do you know Cowher didn't? I know he and Ben seem to be on good terms now, but I also know his relationship with Cowher was always a little uneasy when Cowher was the coach.And of course Ben didn't bother to keep it secret that he didn't have much use for Whisenhunt. It's only since Tomlin took over that Ben seems to have gotten the key to the executive bathroom. the golf outings with Arains and all.

Anyway, for the most part for a change i think I'm in agreement with your overall point. I think the Steelers had become Ben's enablers prior to whatever happened in Ga. and I think it's a good thing that it's changed. ( hopefully it has)

What did Cowher do after Ben rode the bike without a helmet after he warned him not to? Cowher started him thats what he did. At the expense of the team. Cowher did the same with that BUM Kordell. Started a qb who was not ready at the expense of the team. Ben had no penalties from Cowher so he continued to ride without a helmet.

pete74
09-05-2010, 04:55 AM
yea alot of players have said cower gave ben special treatment the second he was drafted. that was probably part of the problem but thats all in the past so no point talking about it

as for ben, he's going to tear it up when he comes back. i think he will have his best year ever even with missing 4 games

OX1947
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
This isnt college or high school. It isnt the job of a grown adult to babysit a grown adult. Cowher and Tomlin's jobs are to win football games, their jobs arent to hold players hands and tell them how to live their lives. Now the owner of a team, maybe, because they are investing their money on them. But head coaches sole reason for being head coaches is to win football games.

Kanata-Steeler
09-05-2010, 11:55 AM
It's hittin' home for sure, and hopefully he's matureing outta this for sure, in what he needs to do.
Goddell did the RIGHT thing here ! (brought out the "old leather belt"!). It's called accountability for oneself.
It had nuthin' to do with any of Ben's past coaches,..., Ben is dealin' with it now.
I hope Ben keeps in good physical shape, workouts et all,...

carry on Steelers, Ben will be back in 4

ricardisimo
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Anyone else notice that the article says that Leftwich "tore" his MCL, rather than spraining it?

pete74
09-05-2010, 02:57 PM
This isnt college or high school. It isnt the job of a grown adult to babysit a grown adult. Cowher and Tomlin's jobs are to win football games, their jobs arent to hold players hands and tell them how to live their lives. Now the owner of a team, maybe, because they are investing their money on them. But head coaches sole reason for being head coaches is to win football games.

It's really not about babysitting, it's about special treatment. If you treat someone like there the best player on the team and give them special treatment there is a good chance it will go to there head. Revis is a prime example

ricardisimo
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
It's really not about babysitting, it's about special treatment. If you treat someone like there the best player on the team and give them special treatment there is a good chance it will go to there head. Revis is a prime example

Well,... Revis is, in fact, the best player on his team, and probably by a wide margin, too. And let's not forget, his situation is about money, not whether or not he should be allowed to carry concealed weapons on planes or smack women around. I would think that in a capitalist society we would not begrudge a fellow trying to maximize his income.

TackleMeBen
09-05-2010, 06:56 PM
sometimes when reality slaps you in the face its a wake up call. i always thought Ben had an ego problem that only got worse as he kept on winning.