PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut 11 get to 53

ricksteelers55
09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
The following players were released by the Steelers: LB Patrick Bailey, CB Joe Burnett, S Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, DE Sunny Harris, C Justin Hartwig, WR Stefan Logan, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers, OG Kraig Urbik and DT Doug Worthington.

Pittsburgh43
09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
LB Patrick Bailey
CB Joe Burnett
S Cromartie-Smith
WR Tyler Grisham
DE Harris
C Jeff Hartwig
KR Stefon Logan
DE McLendon
RB Frank Summers
G Kraig Urbik
DE Doug Worthington

Pittsburgh43
09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
My bad, the other thread wasn't there when I started to create mine.

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
It's ok...I almost just made one myself lol.

SteelCityMom
09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
The Steelers’ 53-man roster includes three quarterbacks, four running backs, three tight ends, six wide receivers, nine offensive linemen, six defensive linemen, nine linebackers, 10 defensive backs, one kicker, one punter and one long snapper.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-release-11--get-to-53/2f50ed4a-edff-461f-a600-1d2acf845dc4

ETL
09-04-2010, 03:37 PM
SteelerKnight - you were right about Urbik, Dwyer, Antonio Brown ... Kudos!

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 03:38 PM
We have a strong team with a bunch of young legs at back-up. I can't complain about any of the cuts.

ajs8207
09-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Hartwig still on the roster? Trade coming? No way hes on the roster week 1 his salary would be guaranteed.

Sorry didn't see his name at first. Ignore this post :)

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm VERY physicked about our 53 man roster this year. There was something about the fire that they played with this pre-season, esp rookies and young guys alike vowing to make the team. Couldn't be happier with our 2010 squad. Who will return kicks this year? Punts? Looks like we are getting value atleast from our rookies Brown and Sanders handling those duties. Good to see. Now.. lets get through the first 4, eh?!

ricksteelers55
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
QB
Roethlisberger
Leftwich
Dixon
Batch

RB
Mendenhall
Moore
Redman
Dwyer

WR
Ward
Wallace
Randle El
Battle
Sanders
Brown

TE
Miller
Spaeth
D.Johnson

OL
Starks
Kemoeatu
Pouncey
Essex
F.Adams
Hills
Legursky
Foster
J.Scott

DL
Smith
Keisel
Hood
Eason
Hampton
Hoke

OLB
Harrison
Woodley
Worilds
Gibson

ILB
Farrior
Timmons
Foote
Fox
Sylvester

CB
Taylor
McFadden
Gay
Lewis
Butler
Madison

S
Clark
Allen
Polamalu
Mundy

ST
Reed
Sepulveda
Warren

total: 54 (53 with Roethlisberger who doesnt count on the number while he's suspended)

ETL
09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Who gets cut if we add a QB? (my answer: Eason)

Can we go into week 1 with only two healthy QBs? - probably not

Some late QBs coming into market:

JP Losman
Leinart
Colt Brennan
Chris Simms
Keith Null
Pat White

If any of them were offered a spot on the Steelers even if they were offered the lowest contract - they should grab it because they are one play away from playing

ricksteelers55
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
we will not add a QB and if somebody gets cut it will be either a LB or a DB as we have plenty of those.

My guess would be either Madison or maybe Fox since our young LB are showing nice things.

But I think what will happen is we will have Batch as the starter,Dixon the backup and Randle El will be emergency then when Roethlisberger comesback we put Leftwich on IR or release one of the above that is my thoughts.

But as a fan of the Hawaii Warriors I wouldnt mind adding Brennan to the Practice Squad if available

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM

JP Losman
Leinart
Colt Brennan
Chris Simms
Keith Null
Pat White

If any of them were offered a spot on the Steelers even if they were offered the lowest contract - they should grab it because they are one play away from playing

We won't be adding no more QB's. When Ben comes back, expect someone to be released whether it be Leftwhich or Batch. With the extent of Leftwhich's injury, it now looks like he will be on his way out if we decide to keep 3 when Ben comes back. I don't know how we plan on using that situation or if the thinking of next years equation comes into play with figures and what not. That's one roster spot we could put to use somewhere else like a lineman, or someone like Patrick Baily strictly for a ST body since we LOVE having them around.

Aussie_steeler
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Looking at that last round of cuts I am not sure how many of them are Practice squad eligible.

If they clear waivers Urbik, Worthington definitely are but I have no idea about the others. Anyone able to add some light to this.

Interesting that Sunny Harris was chased hard last year and he is cut this year. Looking at the D line it looks solid , but old. It will need an injection of youth at some stage.

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
We won't be adding no more QB's. When Ben comes back, expect someone to be released whether it be Leftwhich or Batch. With the extent of Leftwhich's injury, it now looks like he will be on his way out if we decide to keep 3 when Ben comes back. I don't know how we plan on using that situation or if the thinking of next years equation comes into play with figures and what not. That's one roster spot we could put to use somewhere else like a lineman, or someone like Patrick Baily strictly for a ST body since we LOVE having them around.

Why are you all confident about not adding a 3rd QB? Have we done it before? I remember having 4 QBs when we had Kordell around but don't recall having just 2.

If Batch was more durable, I would be ok with 2 but we're one hard hit away from having just one legitimate passer on the team. If that were to happen - I would crucify the Steeler's management for not forseeing this and planning ahead. We need another QB - even if to just hand off properly to Mendenhall.

Fire Arians
09-04-2010, 04:06 PM
nice we kept sylvester.bummer that burnett didn't work out

Fire Arians
09-04-2010, 04:07 PM

JP Losman
Leinart
Colt Brennan
Chris Simms
Keith Null
Pat White

Colt Brennan! UH Warriors 4 life :D

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Why are you all confident about not adding a 3rd QB? Have we done it before? I remember having 4 QBs when we had Kordell around but don't recall having just 2.

If Batch was more durable, I would be ok with 2 but we're one hard hit away from having just one legitimate passer on the team. If that were to happen - I would crucify the Steeler's management for not forseeing this and planning ahead. We need another QB - even if to just hand off properly to Mendenhall.

Why would we need another QB just to handoff to Mendenhall? If we're that scared about injury to one of our QB's.. or in your case.. both of our quarterbacks.. we should just never call any pass attempts.

We aren't going to be losing Ben for the whole entire season, only 4 games. I'm sure either Dixon or Batch could handle the duty of 4 games givin how we could plan around our running game and simply run a simplified, clock controlled offense. Anybody is one hard hit away from being injured. Be thankful we have 2 QB's who can come in and perform at such a level. Not all teams have such reliable backups in this league.

I'd be MUCH more comfortable with someone like... Hines Ward or Randle El as an emergency QB to "just hand it off" or possibly run a couple gadget plays in between.

Why go through the trouble and waste our time bringing in a QB who hasn't had any work in our facility whatsoever? That will accomplish nothing but to run the practice squad.

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I guess Ravens are going with 2 QBs in Flacco and Bulger - but that's because they are decimated in the secondary and need some extra depth. (Ed Reed and Foxworth are out); and they have 2 experienced NFL starters.

I still think we need a 3rd QB.

I wouldn't mind adding Troy Smith just to pick his brain about the Raven's offense (which probably has only about 10 plays and 9 of them are to give the ball to Ray Rice)

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Why would we need another QB just to handoff to Mendenhall? If we're that scared about injury to one of our QB's.. or in your case.. both of our quarterbacks.. we should just never call any pass attempts.

I've never played QB (played a little bit of CB/Safety) but I wouldn't be surprised if handing the ball off to a RB is more complicated than it appears.

Better to have someone experienced to do this and not lose a game for that reason than have some youngster on the roster - only to be inactivated for the next four games.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I've never played QB (played a little bit of CB/Safety) but I wouldn't be surprised if handing the ball off to a RB is more complicated than it appears.

Better to have someone experienced to do this and not lose a game for that reason than have some youngster on the roster - only to be inactivated for the next four games.

Both Hines Ward & Randle El, who both have been listed as our Emergency QB's before.. played quarterback at their respected college.:drink:

Steel_Bus_24
09-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Way to go Butler:tt02:....he'll be starting for us in under 2 years....maybe sooner if he really gets a hold of the scheme quickly

I think physically hes better then any other CB we have....just needs to get the mental down

I know easier said then done......but he looks to have that fire and passion to succeed....something this team needs more of

Complacency has to be rooted out.....we're not the champs no more and other teams aren't going to pee down their legs because they're scared of the Steelers

Time to get back to fundamentals of Steeler football and earn back our hard hitting/smashmouth reputation

I was skeptical of our draft class this year....but they've really impressed me with the fire in the pre-season....I think we made smart cuts, and hopefully it'll all come together so we can prove everybody wrong thats counting us out in the AFCN:tt03:

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Both Hines Ward & Randle El, who both have been listed as our Emergency QB's before.. played quarterback at their respected college.:drink:

I know. Every now and then, they show games of them in college and i love watching them play QB.

I guess with a few reps - they could easily learn how to hand off again.

ricksteelers55
09-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Colt Brennan! UH Warriors 4 life :D

Wow...I thought I was the only UH Warriors and Steelers fan in here

BlockMonsta
09-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Your not. From the 808.. Got some freinds from highschool starting there. Wish I had been so talented. But I gotta take the Buckeyes for my BCS team.

Aussie_steeler
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Found this on another site. Still trying to find the link

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-current-players-on-roster-eligible-for-practice-squad/

According to SteelersDepot.com list of PS eligible players:

Last cuts:
Summers
Grisham
Urbik
McLendon
Harris
Worthington
Cromartie-Smith

Penultimate cuts:
Bright
Brooks
Jolly
Thornton

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Found this on another site. Still trying to find the link

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-current-players-on-roster-eligible-for-practice-squad/

The Sunny Harris cut was strange. I would rather keep him than Nick Eason. Other than that, the cuts look pretty much the way most of us have been predicting.

Glad as hell we kept Sylvester and Redman.

Even though Dwyer hasn't shown much and showed up to camp fat and out of shape, I am glad we kept him too-- I had really high hopes for him before this preseason. I think he was lucky this camp, there were guys who showed more but got cut, but we need a full stable of RBs to get this season kicked off without Ben. I think he will be useful down the stretch.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll miss Burnett.

I feel like Logan should have made the team over Battle.

Overall, this is a strong 53.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I wonder if they view Worthington as a younger cheaper ( probaaly not much cheaoer if he his) version of Harris that we can keep on PS for a year or two. :noidea:

Burnett getting cut was a bit of a suprise. I figured we would keep either Madison or Batlle but not both of them.

Personally I don't like the Logan cut. I still don't feel comfortable with Brown back returning. Our last rookie punt returner didn't do too well his first year.

pete74
09-04-2010, 06:39 PM
The Sunny Harris cut was strange. I would rather keep him than Nick Eason. Other than that, the cuts look pretty much the way most of us have been predicting.

Glad as hell we kept Sylvester and Redman.

Even though Dwyer hasn't shown much and showed up to camp fat and out of shape, I am glad we kept him too-- I had really high hopes for him before this preseason. I think he was lucky this camp, there were guys who showed more but got cut, but we need a full stable of RBs to get this season kicked off without Ben. I think he will be useful down the stretch.

i agree. i would of rather of kept Harris over Eason but what do i know

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 09:21 PM
this year youth won out over experience....this'll be a helluva draft if they all pan out

Pouncey > Hartwig
Butler > Burnett
Dwyer > Summers
Sylvester > Bailey
Brown > Logan

steeltheone
09-04-2010, 10:38 PM
The Logan cut will come back to haunt us...

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 03:27 AM
this year youth won out over experience....this'll be a helluva draft if they all pan out

Pouncey > Hartwig
Butler > Burnett
Dwyer > Summers
Sylvester > Bailey
Brown > Logan

Tat's one way to look at it ...OR talent/projected talent won over being experienced at being bad.

Expertise:

Hartwig -missing blocks and letting the middle cave in so the tackles can't use the phonebooth. Messing up both guard positions with his weakness to bullrushing. Misreading defensive schemes.

Burnett -expert at not being a great cover man and being terrible returning punts. Expert at being a poor tackler and not contributing much to special teams.

Summers -expert at missing blocks and being a fan favorite for being culturally unique, short and having a cool nickname.

Bailey -expert at being a ST only player on a ST that was downright embarrasng. They sucked with him so they can suck without him.

Logan- expert at being dependable but not extraordinary. He ain't Joshua Cribbs. Experience at not being a legit WR or RB.

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 03:28 AM
The Logan cut will come back to haunt us...

I can guarantee Brown will fumble at least once. They should just lecture him now.

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 05:27 AM
I like brown over logan. Brown is a game breaker. Logan isnt dependable. In a tight spot they replaced him with Mewelde or Tone. I was satisfied with the cuts but in retrospect, I would have kept Burnette over Madison.

steeltheone
09-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I like Brown also....Just don't want to depend on him yet......Logan was dependable. We hardly ever started in bad field position....People forget he was one of the first, if not the first down the field in coverage. Brown should have stayed. This Arnez Battle love affair has me stunned?

Tone's Toes
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I want Brown as the returner. Yeah, he had one blunder when he fielded the ball too close to his own endzone, but every player makes mistakes. Logan damn near fumbled a ball that he should have walked away from this preseason.

Anyway, if you want to put someone safe back there situationally we have Mewelde Moore for that. No need for Logan. Brown also looks like he can make as many or more big plays than Logan in the return game. Madison is a better gunner than Logan and that's why he's here and Logan isn't, imo. Battle is more versatile than Logan. He can play WR decent and can play special teams. We haven't seen the special teams plays yet, but I'll defer to the Steelers on this one. They and specifically Everest have seen Battle play for years. I've only seen him play a few games. I'd imagine he'll make an impact on special teams eventually, but the fact that he can play some WR helps.

Kanata-Steeler
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
we definitely got a good team, Logan was a given when Brown showed.

LVSteelersfan
09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I figured Logan would be gone. Haven't been that impressed with him personally. I have a feeling if the Steelers ST can make a seam for Brown he will be gone. He has Cribbs speed but does he have Cribbs instincts. I was rooting for Summers but not surprised he is gone. I wish they would have at least tried him at his natural position to see what he could do. I doubt he would have beat out Dwyer or Moore in that position though. Perhaps he can be on the practice squad one more year and see if he can improve. HARTWIG IS GONE. Mr. Useless finally bit the dust. Good riddance.

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I like brown over logan. Brown is a game breaker. Logan isnt dependable. In a tight spot they replaced him with Mewelde or Tone. I was satisfied with the cuts but in retrospect, I would have kept Burnette over Madison.

I was waiting for you to make your 53 before hand but you never did. For someone who does so much talking, I was surprised. :noidea::oops:

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I like Brown also....Just don't want to depend on him yet......Logan was dependable. We hardly ever started in bad field position....People forget he was one of the first, if not the first down the field in coverage. Brown should have stayed. This Arnez Battle love affair has me stunned?

I have to agree with you. I see Arnez Battle has been pretty good as a receiver but I never noticed anything on ST...which is why I thought we brought him here. He didn't even crack 1st team gunner (Madison and Lewis). The ST coach likes him so I guess they can fight for their guys.

ST Coach -Battle
OL Coach -Jonathan Scott

Make no mistake, if the Steelers have to make a move, Battle will be the first to go. I do like him and I heard several times that Ben through TD passes to him so he must have been playing with the first team (slot?) but again, we have capable WRs.

scsteeler
09-05-2010, 01:18 PM

JP Losman
Leinart
Colt Brennan
Chris Simms
Keith Null
Pat White

I don't see any of these QB's being added to our roster.

scsteeler
09-05-2010, 01:22 PM
nice we kept sylvester.bummer that burnett didn't work out

I hope Burnett gets on the practice squad I really like him. I think Sylvester is going to be another great linebacker for us also.

Downbylaw
09-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I was waiting for you to make your 53 before hand but you never did. For someone who does so much talking, I was surprised. :noidea::oops:

My 53 was EXACTLY like the current roster except for Burnette over Madison

SteelKnight
09-06-2010, 02:23 AM

Where did you post it? I had 50 of the 53.

fast988
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
QB
Roethlisberger
Leftwich
Dixon
Batch

RB
Mendenhall
Moore
Redman
Dwyer

WR
Ward
Wallace
Randle El
Battle
Sanders
Brown

TE
Miller
Spaeth
D.Johnson

OL
Starks
Kemoeatu
Pouncey
Essex
F.Adams
Hills
Legursky
Foster
J.Scott

DL
Smith
Keisel
Hood
Eason
Hampton
Hoke

OLB
Harrison
Woodley
Worilds
Gibson

ILB
Farrior
Timmons
Foote
Fox
Sylvester

CB
Taylor
McFadden
Gay
Lewis
Butler
Madison

S
Clark
Allen
Polamalu
Mundy

ST
Reed
Sepulveda
Warren

total: 54 (53 with Roethlisberger who doesnt count on the number while he's suspended)

:champs:

ricardisimo
09-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Wow. That's amazing. Link, please.