PDA

View Full Version : Combine

Lyn
02-25-2006, 06:20 PM
You have to love the NFL Network for providing more in-depth coverage of
the Combine - I wish I had it but not enough to pay for it. My question is what do the Bush's, Leinart's and any of the top 10 draft picks gain from not fully participating in the Combine. I know that each school has a pro-day so
is it to attract more attention to their school or do they want to be
the only one in the spotlight. To me it seems that if you want to play
in the NFL then the Combine is the place to show your talent - or in
Maurice Clarett's case - lack of.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Actually, character and heart count more to the Steelers than sheer numbers. Don't believe me? Ask Bill Belichick. The difference between his drafting as a Brown HC and NE HC was and is that he STOPPED relying on the combine numbers and started keying in on not the best players but the right players.

Cowher has always played that way...BB got the credit earlier because he won SB's...

Ambridge
02-26-2006, 09:32 AM
i don't get the hype on the combine numbers myself. the combine numbers don't show intangibles and football instincts. game film is where its at.

I agree.
Most of these guys spend considerable time working on their 40 times and the other specific drills that they get tested on in the combine so basically all that's found out in the end is what kind of athletic ability they have.

I'd be more interested on how the players test out in the Individual Interview Process and try and weed out all of the potential "Problem Childs" and "Dumb-ass's".

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
The combine is overated.Yeah,you may run a 4.25 40,but you're not gonna run that on a grass football field being covered by a DB and being "bumped" at the LOS.

It shows athletic ability,and that's really all it shows.

DIESELMAN
03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
you can catch all the 40 times at NFL.com