PDA

View Full Version : Nance wants Miami reunion

BB2W
02-25-2006, 06:24 PM
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Miami receiver Martin Nance had his best season in 2003 when he was Ben Roethlisberger's leading receiver with almost 1,500 yards.

Nance, on his workout day Friday at the scouting combine, all but said he would like nothing more than an NFL reunion with his former college quarterback.

"He and I have great chemistry on the field and great friendship off the field," said Nance, who had 81 receptions and 14 touchdowns in 2005 for the RedHawks. "Playing together again is something I think we both would enjoy. Any receiver would love to play with him."

Nance, projected as a late second- or third-round pick, tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Game 5 of the 2004 season. He worked to return for his final college season.

Pro scouts like his size: 6 feet 4, 213 pounds.

But Nance, who has run 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash, does not want to be categorized as a possession (read: slow) receiver.

"I'm a big receiver who can stretch the field but also make plays after the catch," he said.

link: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060225/SPT02/602250327/1066/SPT

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Those numbers are better than I thought..hey, I'm a MAC guy, and I didn't hear much about him this year, so he managed to slip below MY radar and I've had my eye on him since 2003.

If he's around in the 60's, the Steelers grab him in RD 2...I would not be surprised if they moved a supplemental pick to move up and grab him.

BB2W
02-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I think he runs at the combine tommorow, he says it will be a sub 4.4/40. We'll see...

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Good point...the combine is usefull in equalizing things. Guys lose inches and pounds and 10ths of seconds just by participating.

tony hipchest
02-25-2006, 07:30 PM
If he's around in the 60's, the Steelers grab him in RD 2...I would not be surprised if they moved a supplemental pick to move up and grab him. thats not a bad idea. steelers have alot of picks, some who may not even make the roster (dropping f. gibson last year didnt hurt at all) id hate to see them piss away their supplimental picks like the eagles did last year. teams like the 9ers and texans can use all the extra picks they can get although they draft to high to be optimal trade partners. steelers usually dont have much trouble moving around on draft day though. case in point- they gave k.c. a pretty good deal to move up for polamalu and k.c. still wound up with a great pick in l. johnson.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty much selling out for Nance...I already did two years ago on another board, but now I'm officially doing it here. The last time I sold out was for Ben, and I think I was WAY out front on that one. I'm even willing to say he's a shot for the #32 pick if he gets all the other stuff (Wondelic and such) right.

The Steelers drafted Troy Edwards as their #1 at WR based completely off his game against Nebraska when he caught something like 22 balls. If they'll waste a #1 on one game, they certainly might use a #1 to draft a guy who has proven chemistry with Ben.

BB2W
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
i just can't decide between nance and stovall.
I like them both too... It'll be easier to pick one after they run the 40 tomorrow.

BB2W
02-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Here is a scouting report...

Nance uses his height and long arms to get his hands on balls that would be out of range for most receivers, and has excellent coordination and body control to adjust to the ball in flight. Defensive backs tend to underestimate his speed because he runs with long, effortless strides but he can cover a lot of ground very quickly. When healthy, he is a dominant player and is cut in the same (big) mold as most of the other receivers who have been drafted in the first round.

Positives:
Ideal combination of size and speed, Martin Nance has a tall frame with good hands. He is a precise route runner and always a big play threat downfield. Nance is an amazing athlete with great ability to make the catch in traffic. He has a lot of potential that has yet to be utilized.

Negatives:
Nance has yet to be truly effective without Ben Roethlisberger at the helm. He is coming off a torn ACL injury that kept him out all of 2004. Nance has decent speed, but doesn?t have a good burst off the line and won?t be able to fake out many NFL defenders.

Overview:
Martin Nance looked like a first-round prospect his sophomore year, but because of injury and offensive woes for Miami of Ohio, Nance?s stock has fallen quite a bit. He has all the skills that can?t be taught such as size and speed, but needs to get a better grasp on the intangibles of the position. With the right coaching, Nance could become a very effective receiver at the next level.

3 to be 4
02-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Jim Nantz wants a Miami reunion? Whats he care, he should just be quiet and accept his new studio job.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Nance ran a 4.55 and a 4.63 in the combines.....C. Jackson ran a 4.38 and a 4.35 and S. Moss ran a 4.39 before injuring a quad

Koopa
02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
well that's decent and probably good cause now we can draft him in the second round cause some teams are stupid and if they don't have the best numbers the pass up on someone that could be special for a bust that ran good. i would rather have chad jackson though but i doubt he'll be there with the first pick. and moss is good but he's a midget

TasmanianTroy271
02-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm willing to bet if we draft Nance, he ends up wearing his college number of 15. Even though I hate Recievers wearing QB numbers, I can just see it happening.

Suitanim
02-27-2006, 10:03 AM
4.55 and 4.63 is not as attractive as the 4.35 speed they were tauting, but, then again, that's why they have the combine.

That's still as fast as Plax, and we took him #1. He also isn't the headcase that Plax was, and concentrates on the ball better.

drizze99
02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I really want Nance in Black-n-Gold!

I don't think he'll go in the first round, but I also don't think he'll be around at pick #64

Suitanim
02-27-2006, 05:53 PM
That drop in his speed just MIGHT make him drop.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Im sure ben would love to have his college receiver to throw to once again

MichiSteeler
03-09-2006, 06:46 PM
This guy sounds nearly perfect! And he knows Ben as well! I REALLY REALLY hope we draft this guy, a dream draft in my opinion for us would go 1. Mangold 2. Nance 3. Humes!

Koopa
03-09-2006, 07:11 PM
This guy sounds nearly perfect! And he knows Ben as well! I REALLY REALLY hope we draft this guy, a dream draft in my opinion for us would go 1. Mangold 2. Nance 3. Humes!

if we draft mangold in the first i'll buy his jersey and pee on it........but according to suit we won't draft him because harting and okobi will be are centers

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
if we draft mangold in the first i'll buy his jersey and pee on it........but according to suit we won't draft him because harting and okobi will be are centers

I will be 2nd in line I am always up for a buckeye becoming a steeler

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
what exactly would constitute as a "drop" for nance? i seen coverage from the combine,where one of the so called "experts" discussed "his" top 5 recievers,which he had stovall at fifth and going in the 3rd round. nance was not even mentioned.

Because the experts are always right? I've already said Nance was reach at #32, and I hope he's there at 64. If some "Expert" had only 5 WR's going in the first 65-96 picks, they are smoking crack.

Look at the knee-jerk retaliation for my not liking Vince Young as an NFL QB! Silly, really...Mangold, barring injury, will be a fine addition to any NFL team at the Center position. He's as NFL ready as any OL player coming out this year, and he's also a sharp guy, scoring a 35 on his wonderlic...

Koopa
03-11-2006, 03:27 AM
i ain't saying he's gonna flop, or busting a nut everytime i see something negative about him, i'm just saying i don't like any linemen in the first round, so there's no knee-jerk retaliation here. i'd say the same shit if D'Brickashaw Ferguson fell to us. and i don't care which linemen we drafted in the first round in the past so no need to bring that up

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 07:57 AM
If D'Brickashaw is there at 32, I'm throwing a party, and you're all invited...the beers on me!

Koopa
03-11-2006, 11:45 AM
so then in your opinion,offensive linemen have nothing to do with the success of the offense? the draft is all a crap shoot. you can get a troy edwards in the first round,or an allen faneca. no player comes with gaurantees.

i didn't say anything about them having nothing to do with success of the offense. i just don't like it, that's it, you don't have to read so much into it, it's plain and simple i don't like linemen in the first round.

tootalltoscore
03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I realize we need a WR, but I have to say that we should take Mangold in the first, long-term he will be our center for the next 10 years, IMHO he would be too good to pass up IF still there at 32. Let me pass on a comment from another respected source about Mangold:

Strengths

Slick Nick is the best center in this draft. He has excellent strength and balance and can handle a nose guard right in his face one on one. He has very good feet and lateral movement; he can get to his second level blocks very well. Nick can easily play guard because he has the athleticism to be used to pull. He is a leader and is an extension of the coaches on the field. There is no doubt about this kid?s mental stamina or calling plays at the line. He is the real deal.

Needs to Improve

Nick?s biggest weakness is that he is being overlooked. He is an instant starter in the NFL.

Bottom Line

Draft Nick and forget about having to worry about the center position on your team for the next ten years. Nick can handle all the blocking assignments that are required of him in both the passing and running game for either the guard or center position. Nick is the best center in this draft because he can handle by himself a 340 lb DT right in his face all day long and come out the winner. He has proven it to me. Everytime he has come up against Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson DT Michigan), he has beat him like a drum. I have watched Nick move and control Gabe all around the field like a brother dancing with his sister at her 13th birthday party to make sure the 18 yr old boys don?t get a hold of her. He is an excellent technician and I never see him over-extending to make a block. Nick has first round talent. I believe he should be picked before some of the higher rated OT?s in this draft, but he probably won?t be. If I?m drafting in the first round and I?m a playoff team, I definitely look hard at taking an O-lineman like Nick that you can plug into your line right away. I remember last year when the Patriots took Logan (Instant) Mankins as the 32nd pick and I don?t think anyone can complain about that pick. Well, Slick Nick falls into that same category. He?s not a shiny, fancy car, but he does have four wheel drive and he?ll keep your offense from getting bogged down.

My biggest worry is that he is no longer on the board at our pick

Suitanim
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
It's actually pretty cool that Mangold is so popular now, because I was WAY out front on this one, but, unfortunately, the Steelers have quite publicly stated that Chucky Okobi is the man when Hartings hangs it up...

Koopa
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
why is it unfortunaly that okobi is the future? i never really pay attention to how the line is doing and all i know about him is he should never be in another commercial, big dude, girly voice isn't very good..........anyway, is he that bad?? or can he actually be good??

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 09:25 AM
That's just it...he's a huge question mark. But the Steelers have faith in him, so that's good enough for me...

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 10:10 AM
there are certain positions the steelers historically know better than most and dont fool around with. rb, c, and lb. if they thought c. okobi was an alonzo jackson type player he wouldve never lasted this long as a steeler. its not that he is a substandard player, he just so happens to back up a pro bowler who was supposed to retire several years back. if hartings did retire back then i bet it would be okolbi as one of the pro bowlers right about now. hes got a great coach in russ grimm.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
With Nance having such a bad combine it will be easy for us to pick him up at our 64th pick in the 2nd round.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Not everyone feels that way:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/martin_nance.html

Martin Nance WR 6’4 213 Miami(OH)
By: Robert Davis

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.58

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season. He came back this season looking to re-establish himself. Nance did just that, finishing with 81 receptions, 1,107 yards, for 14 touchdowns.

Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and make plays vertically. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent.

Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college.

Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to develop in the NFL. Nance struggled at the combine, running a 4.58 40 and struggling to catch the ball in drills, and that hurt his stock. He should still hear his name called on the first day of the draft.

http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/Profiles/martinnance.shtml

Martin Nance | #15
Wide Receiver - Miami (OH)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 210

The more I watch Martin Nance play the better he seems to get. He has the almost ideal frame for an NFL wide receiver. He has big hands, long arms, and a tall and physical frame that teams love. He uses his physical features to his advantage, he is one of the best receivers in the draft from a physical standpoint. He has pretty decent athletic ability and can out-muscle people on jump ball opportunities which makes him an excellent target in the red zone. He can use his frame to make difficult catches and also has very reliable hands. I don't know if he is the quickest or fastest of receivers though, he seems to not run hard while he is running his routes. He also doesn't have the best burst from his initial start on the line of scrimmage. I think teams might be a little drawn away from Nance because his slight lack of NFL receiver speed, but overall I think he will end up being a fine player at the next level. Also, Nance has some question marks surrounding him with injury problems. I think Nance is a solid second round pick, but with a good combine and team workouts, he could sneak his way into the end of the first round.

Strengths:
• Has great physical features that really help his game
• Very reliable hands
• Has good athletic ability
• Good physical big target

Weaknesses:
• Doesn't quite have the speed or quickness teams like out of WRs
• Doesn't get a great burst off the LOS
• Has had injury concerns in the past

-Zach Asman

I've also heard that the Browns are very interested in him, and they'd be in a good position early Rd 2 to pick him up.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Considering the browns just signed Joe J, and with edwards and northcut the browns won't go wr in the 2nd round lol. Also, what would u say we need in a WR we will draft" i say we need a deep threat.

Draftcountdown.com

"Probably won't be a major deep threat at the pro level...Will lose focus at times...Has missed some time due to injury...If he doesn't run well in workouts"

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/martinnance.html

P.s. Check out some mocks and maybe u would understand a little more.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
P.s. Check out some mocks and maybe u would understand a little more.

LOL...Um...er...thanks, dude...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5995

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
ummmm.....aren't mocks nothing but speculation / opinions ? kinda like scouting reports......

actully mocks are even worse then speculation there peoples opinions ;). But if u look at over 200 mocks u can get a idea of where people will land so like i said look at some more mocks and u will see landing Nance in the 2nd round will happen.