PDA

View Full Version : Bode Miller: Biggest All-Time Olympic Bust

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm fairly pissed off about this loser. If he wants to drink beer and smoke dope and tank events, fine, but don't accept 7 figure deals FIRST. Don't represent MY Country (Which is already stereotyped as being the ugly America filled with ugly Americans) by being the apotheosis of all ugly Americans in the Olympics, the biggest platform in the World.

All the talent in the World, and the work-ethic of a ****ing slug. He is everything wrong with America, and, unfortuantely, he's what the rest of the World gets to see. Spoiled, overpaid arrogant *******s with bad work ethics who think they know everything and don't know shit.

There's a guy in Akron who was the brakeman for the 4-man bobsled team, and the local paper ran several stories comparing the odyssey this poor guy went through to even get to the games, let alone compete, and the pitiful amount of money he makes working a full-time job to support his obsession of bobsledding against what Bode makes just in endorsements (7 figures). This guy has more heart, more guts, more of the "right stuff" in his non-THC-tainted pinkie than Bode Miller has in his whole slacker body, but the only people who will hear his story live around here. The rest of the World gets the Bode story...

Frankly, I can't decide which of these things I'm more embarrassed of: Bode Miller being exalted by the press even when they knew he was a slacker fraud, or this truly lazy, arrogant, overpaid and under-motivated American shown to the world as an embassador of our Country.

Bode Miller, you fooled us once, so shame on us, but no more...SHAME. ON. YOU!

tony hipchest
02-25-2006, 07:11 PM
who woulda thought? while skiing drunk was a great marketing campaign (budweiser had to be dying to sign this guy) the alchohol didnt serve him well when it came time to actually compete.

on the heels of this i must give kudos to nascar for giving shane hmeil a LIFETIME ban for failing his 3rd positive drug test or infraction. no other sport has the stones to stand up in this manner. (see ricky williams in his 4th failure facing a 1 year ban)

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I understand what you are saying, and it's a valid point, but Bode is much bigger than that. There are 6.5 BILLION people on this planet, and only a little less than 300 million in the US.

Of that 6.5 billion, it's reasonable to assume that many hate us, and most envy us...why fuel fires and drive those who envy towards hate?

I think showing a spoiled, talented, lazy, slacker who just doesn't care to the rest of the World as the face of US athletes at this point in time is bad PR. The fact that he garnered the cover of Time Magazine only makes it worse...

tony hipchest
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah, nascar is continental while the olymics are global.

much of the world is watching, while americans are fixated on american idol, survivor, and dancing with the stars. kinda shows why someone like bode could be so full of hype to americans (almost like a hero) but a total embarassment in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 07:41 PM
yeah, nascar is continental while the olymics are global.

much of the world is watching, while americans are fixated on american idol, survivor, and dancing with the stars. kinda shows why someone like bode could be so full of hype to americans (almost like a hero) but a total embarassment in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Now you get it. He's got his endorsements, and is set for life.

Just imagine if you could put Hines Ward's heart in his chest for the Olympics...he'd have won all 5 golds or probably died trying.

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
I knew we were in trouble when the drama unfolded that Bode competed while he was drunk. When interviewed on 60 Minutes about it, he had no remorse. He said he would do it again. I agree with you, Suit, that Bode is an embarrassment to our country during these Olympic games. There are so many hopeful athletes who would give their right arm to be in the Olympics. Michelle Kwan is a prime example. She wanted a gold medal so badly she could practically feel it around her neck. These Games were her last chance. Unfortunately a groin injury kept her from competing. She left Torino with grace and dignity, knowing her Olympic gold medal dream would never be realized, and wishing the best of luck to her replacement, Emily Hughes.

It's a shame that our young athletes have Bode as an example. We can only hope that their coaches use Bode as an example of what an Olympic athlete SHOULD NOT be. I'm so disgusted with him.

A girl I work with and I were discussing Bode the other day at work. She thinks Bode is just misunderstood and backward. I had to disagree. I agree with you, Suit, that he's arrogant, self-absorbed, and just doesn't give a shit. I'm really mad about his performances at the Olympic games. Yes, shame on Bode!

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Our Olympic program will suffer for a long time because of him...and the scar of his indifference may last forever.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2006, 03:39 AM
SESTRIERE, Italy (AP) -- Unbent, unbowed and ultimately unsuccessful, Bode Miller said in an interview Saturday he is skiing away from these Olympics on his own terms -- content without any medals and impressed by the local nightlife.

"I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here," Miller said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press soon after he skidded off the slalom course in his fifth and final race, completing an 0-for-the-Olympics.

Miller came to the Italian Alps cresting on a wave of expectations and was considered a medal threat in every Alpine event. But he failed to finish three of them and his best showing was fifth in the downhill -- part of a games with few highlights for the U.S. Ski Team.

"The expectations were other people's," Miller said. "I'm comfortable with what I've accomplished, including at the Olympics. I came in here to race as hard as I could. That was my obligation to myself."

As for his obligation to prepare, Miller said he was less ready for these games than the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, where he won two silver medals.

"I've been living my life as if I might have died two weeks before the Olympics started," he said. "That left me the opportunity to dig deep, to go down that other route, to make more sacrifices and get back to where I was."

Miller said that while he might have prepared differently, he isn't one to second guess and he started each race fully focused and determined to win.

He called his Olympic experience "awesome" and cited the gold medals by teammates Julia Mancuso and Ted Ligety as one reason. Another, he said, was Sestriere's bar scene.

"My quality of life is the priority. I wanted to have fun here, to enjoy the Olympic experience, not be holed up in a closet and not ever leave your room," he said. "People said, 'Why can't you stay in for the two weeks, three weeks? You've got the rest of your life to experience the games the way everybody else does.' But I like the whole package. I always have."

He compared his Olympic experience to fellow American Daron Rahlves, who was a favorite in the downhill and a contender in the super-G but didn't come close to the podium.

"Look at what happened to Rahlves. He was holed up in his RV, he's probably the fittest guy out here and he made a point of talking about how important the Olympics were to him," Miller said. "And then look -- a little bad luck and he's got nothing to show for the whole thing.

"Me, it's been an awesome two weeks," Miller said. "I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

The people that determine who is on the Olympic team knew this guy was like this....They need to look deep within themselves and realize that the Olympics isn't about winning at all costs by putting this heartless piece of crap on the team...I can't imagine how many athletes tried out for the Olympic team that didn't make it that have more heart and soul and honor then this doorknob.....its a shame....not only was it an embarrassment but just think what else we might have lost in the eyes of the world.....dude needs to get a dictionary and look up these words...team...integrity...honor.....

Mamaduck43
02-26-2006, 04:22 AM
He really ticks me off...... And what is really sad is that he took the spots of possibly 5 athletes who would have given up just about anything to compete in one of his events..... The other thing is that young kids look up to the folks getting all of the press.... What kind of role model is this jerk being for them....

I think that the Olympics lost a lot when they opened the door to professional athletes.... I swam on the National level quite a few years ago, and a couple of times, I received donations to help with my travel to the National Championships..... I had to account for every penny of that money, and if I hadn't used it all on the actual expenses for the trip, I would have had to return it..... The accounting was so picky that when we were putting gas in our car for the trip from Pittsburgh to Florida, we could only use the donated $$$ for 1/3 of the fuel, since my mom, dad and I were all in the car, and the $$$ couldn't be used for their expenses.... And I was not able to lifeguard, nor teach swimming for money, because it would be cashing in on my ability as a swimmer and would be construed as going pro..... Now, there are swim meets with $50,000 in cash in a glass box at the end of the pool for the winner of the 50 Meter Free race.... Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.... We do have athletes who are able to compete for a much longer time, and it was reality that the Communist Bloc countries subsidized their athletes with government housing and coaching, but there doesn't seem to be a real 'amateur' athlete left in world class competition..... And the price of progress is jerks like Bode Miller, who will rake it in, no matter what.....

Sorry - - I didn't mean to get on the soap box, but this issue has really gotten under my skin.....

melroseplace
02-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm not a martyr
damn right he's not martyr, he's a freaking idiot.

BlackNGold203
02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
This guy is a media created complete jagoff.....

Suit..you said it best...this ass is everything thats wrong with America

HburgXL06
02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Catching up to Bode, Chapter 2: 'I'm not a guy who looks back.'

By JIM LITKE, AP Sports Columnist

SESTRIERE, Italy (AP) -- The sticker on the side of the RV read "Go Fast Sports."

"I'm eating," Bode Miller said after opening the door. He was holding up a sandwich. "Gimme five minutes."

An hour earlier, Miller had skidded off the course in the slalom, the last of his five events, completing an 0-for-the-Olympics. And then he kept on skiing, ducking reporters again.

I had tracked him down after a mile-long trek in ankle-deep snow, and good as his word, Miller came out soon and was his rambling, revealing, remarkably stubborn self in a half-hour interview. A few highlights:

-- "People said, 'Why can't you stay in for the two weeks, three weeks? You've got the rest of your life to experience the games the way everybody else does.' But I like the whole package. I always have."

-- "People want athletes to cater to their image of what an athlete should be, but they also want them to fail so they can feel like their screwups are all right. If I make a priority shift, I'll make it because it's best for me."

-- "It does matter that it's the Olympics. I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here."

-- "The same people who recognize I came out with no medals should recognize I could have won three."

Give Miller this much: He's consistent.

A week ago, after spinning off the course in the super-G, he skied a back route through the woods rather than answer questions. On Monday, after finishing sixth in the giant slalom, he ditched his skis at the finish line, dodged a gauntlet of reporters waiting nearby and ran for the exit wearing sneakers and using his ski poles for balance in the slush. After spotting him 100 yards or so, not to mention much lighter footwear, I caught up with him a quarter-mile later.

He was 0-for-4 at that point, and Saturday's last-chance slalom still loomed. But Miller vowed he wouldn't do anything different. And he didn't.

He continued to revel in the nightlife in a hamlet with one real saloon and no more discotheques. And Miller always occupied the front table, making him impossible to miss.

"It's important for me to live my life honestly," he said. Besides, he added, "I was only out one night before a race."

In fact, Miller said he spent Friday night before the slalom watching "Miracle," the movie about a bunch of college kids who came together as the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team and beat the Soviet Union's heavily favored "Big Red Machine" en route to a gold medal.

"That's what the Olympics are about ... underdogs, about providing an opportunity for people to do something they didn't know they were capable of," he said.

Miller then talked softly, almost longingly about how U.S. ski teammates Ted Ligety and Julia Mancuso, both just 21 and largely unburdened by expectations, had risen to the occasion at these Olympics and won gold. He was in the same position four years ago in Salt Lake City, when he sneaked in and won two silvers.

To recreate that feeling, Miller said he went as far as purposely slacking off in his training.

"For the last eight to 10 months, I was less prepared than the last Olympics. That left me the opportunity to dig deep, to go down that other route, to make more sacrifices and get back to where I was," he said.

But none of it worked. Miller came here as an overwhelming overdog, the defending overall World Cup championship, the first American to hold that title since 1983. Anybody who saw NBC's promotional campaign ahead of the Winter Olympics must have thought all the other skiers in the world were auditioning for parts as extras in Miller's highlight reel.

"I wanted an Olympic experience like in 'Miracle.' But how was it for the Russians?" Miller said, leaving little doubt which role was thrust on him. "Horrible."

But hardly surprising, I countered, considering the high-paying endorsement deal he took from Nike and a few other sponsors. Miller then countered that he left plenty of money on the table, and accepted only those deals that let him put his message out unfiltered by the media.

I offered him the same. "What would you tell people who are going to look at you in these Olympics and see a failure?"

Miller paused.

"Where the quality of life fits in the priority scale is something everybody has to decide for themselves. Nobody else can tell you what your quality of life is, or should be."

I told him that sounded like an excuse to party.

"If I wasn't prepared at the start of the races, that would be something I would look at. But I guarantee you every athlete who stood up at the top of the hill could say, 'Hey, what about that weightlifting workout you skipped last summer or whatever?"'

Then he brought up teammate Daron Rahlves. Like Miller, he was a favorite to medal -- although in only two events as opposed to Miller's five. And like Miller, he never made it onto the podium.

"Look at what happened to Rahlves. He was holed up in his RV, he's probably the fittest guy out here and he made a point of talking about how important the Olympics were to him," Miller said. "And then look -- a little bad luck and he's got nothing to show for the whole thing.

"Me, it's been an awesome two weeks," Miller said. "I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke@ap.org

He seems to know he f*cked up but that's no excuse. He is a representative for this country and he has now only fueled the will to destroy those "awful Americans." If you ask me this is the first Olympics we haven't dominated and you have to ask whether all these companies makin endorsements and TV appearances and all da other junk that da American media and companies want da athletes to do distracts them and clouds their vision as to what they are really there for: to compete in their event and do da best they can. Bode is an immature loser if he can't give up partyin for two weeks to be ready for his events. He talks of his teammate Daron and his bad luck but with Bode it's bad practice. If Daron went out there and had better luck he would have probably won but Bode set himself to fail because as an athlete you have to have your body in top shape to compete and if you are drunk in da startin gate you know for damn sure you ain't ready. Suit, I give a comendation for your man in Akron because he truly does embody da Olympic spirit. Also if Hines Ward's heart was in Bode he would not only have won his own events but would have been signin up to compete in more and would have been out there cheerin on every teammate he had when he could. It's a shame. Let Bode slip into da pit of unsuccessfulness and anonymity. One last question: Do we know he actually smoked weed? Just wonderin. Peace.

BuFu

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
He is a pure loser. Did anybody hear his interview? He stole a spot from somebody who might have tried a lot more. His attitude sucks.

clevestinks
02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
All talk No walk for Bode, to bad he already has made so much$$$$$$$$$

Petesburgh66
02-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Thank god this douche isn't Canadian

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2006, 06:55 AM
He is a pure loser. Did anybody hear his interview? He stole a spot from somebody who might have tried a lot more. His attitude sucks.

That pretty much sums it up. Thankfully he is only one athlete in these olympics from the USA that is a complete jerkoff or we would not have ended up second in the medal count.

Suitanim
02-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I read an article in ESPN the magazine that was a month old today (I was at the doctor's, and the reading material was pretty thin), and his family and friends were worried about his training and motivation...it was definitely foreshadowing bad things to come in Turin.

He's a weird dude...a walking contradiction. He has all sorts of corporate sponsors, and he takes all their money, but he badmouths them constantly. He said he doesn't want any media attention, than told ESPN that he wouldn't grant them an interview unless he got the cover.

I have a feeling this guy's days on this Earth are limited...

Petesburgh66
02-28-2006, 12:41 AM
He's a weird dude...a walking contradiction. He has all sorts of corporate sponsors, and he takes all their money, but he badmouths them constantly.
I have a feeling this guy's days on this Earth are limited...

If I was a corporate sponser, why would I invest in another athlete like this guy? This guy not only screwed himself but may have screwed other American athletes down the road.

If I was a sponser, these are the athletes who I would want to represent my company (Cheeks and Hughes)

Hughes donating $10,000 to Right to Play

TORINO, Italy (CP-AP) - Clara Hughes won't receive a cash bonus for her Olympic gold medal, but that didn't stop her from being charitable.

The Winnipeg speedskater, who won the women's 5,000-metre long-track event Saturday, said she'll donate $10,000 to Right to Play, an organization that improves the plight of children in impoverished, war-torn areas.

Her announcement comes after American speedskater Joey Cheek donated his winnings from two medals - $25,000 US for gold, $15,000 for silver - to the charity created by Norway's one-time speedskating star Johann Olav Koss.

American athletes earn bonuses for Olympic medals, unlike Canadian athletes.

"I wish I had an Olympic bonus to give like Joey Cheek, but I don't," Hughes said after her victory. So, she said, she's decided to give the $10,000 in her bank account.

"I challenge all Canadians. Even if it's $5, $10, $20. A little bit goes a long way," Hughes said.

The U.S. Olympic Committee announced it will donate $40,000 to Right to Play, matching the amount given by Cheek.

"It does wonderful work," said Jim Scherr, USOC chief executive officer, at a Saturday news conference where the gift was announced.

Right to Play was launched six years ago, and has 40 projects in 20 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The charity has already aided more than 500,000 children.

Cheek's original donation has already been matched by a number of companies and individuals, with a total of more than $390,000 pledged by the end of Saturday, the USOC said.

:cheers:

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=156200&hubname=

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I hope he does ski drunk again and gets in a horrible accident where he tears ligaments in both knees and breaks both legs.It's less than he deserves.

CantStop85
02-28-2006, 04:58 PM
This is why I hate the Winter Olympics. I'd much rather watch the Summer Olympics and see REAL athletes competing.

SteelerzGirl
02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I hope he does ski drunk again and gets in a horrible accident where he tears ligaments in both knees and breaks both legs.It's less than he deserves.

Wow, isn't it a bit harsh to wish injury upon someone? I'd be happy if his $5 million worth of endorsements were pulled. Hit him in the wallet!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Wow, isn't it a bit harsh to wish injury upon someone? I'd be happy if his $5 million worth of endorsements were pulled. Hit him in the wallet!

In most cases yes,but this is different.It's different because he took a spot or spots from more deserving athletes who would have skied with passion and heart.You should do the Olympics for love of sport and country,not for endorsement deals.

Hawk Believer
02-28-2006, 07:01 PM
In most cases yes,but this is different.It's different because he took a spot or spots from more deserving athletes who would have skied with passion and heart.You should do the Olympics for love of sport and country, not for endorsement deals.
Sure, Bode acted like a chode. And he deserves to reap what he has sown. It would be nice to return to the days when endorsments played a smaller part in the Olympics. But I also have to agree with SG on this one. Wishing bodily harm on someone who isn't in the process of harming others doesn't do anybody any good IMHO and seems a bit harsh.

Perhaps he should be made to watch his Nike comercials for 24 hours straight. But I guess that would be a harsher punishment than blowing a knee.

HburgXL06
03-01-2006, 01:11 AM
This is why I hate the Winter Olympics. I'd much rather watch the Summer Olympics and see REAL athletes competing.

What the f*ck you tryin to say bout da Winter Olympics don't have no real athletes?! Don't let da dumbass antics of a few idiots distract you from the true athleticism of many of the competitors at the games.

BuFu

hardwork
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
If you had followed ski racing at all you'd have known that this is what Bode Miller is. He's a phenom who mostly either wins or crashes. That's not at all uncommon among racers. In case you don't know what these guys are doing. They're hitting speeds of up to 80-90 MPH in the downhill and super G on iced downed courses wearing nothing but spandex and a helmet. They're f***ing nuts. If you thought they were anything else, think again. Bode's just a little more nuts then the rest of them. He's also more often then not a little better then the rest of them. This just wasn't one of those times.

hardwork
03-01-2006, 01:45 AM
BTW, if anyone here gets the chance to see a major downhill, live, with the top racers in the world racing, see it. You'll never see anything like it again.

Hawk Believer
03-01-2006, 08:05 AM
I better start practicing with a cowbell to prepare for 2010 in Whistler.

So if you go to a competition, do you reccomend watching it down at the bottom where most people are or somewhere up on the course? I am guessing that its more fun to watch on a steep corner section up top.

hardwork
03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I better start practicing with a cowbell to prepare for 2010 in Whistler.

So if you go to a competition, do you reccomend watching it down at the bottom where most people are or somewhere up on the course? I am guessing that its more fun to watch on a steep corner section up top.

Yeah, climb up the side of the course and catch them in a steep section where they're really bookin'. You can hear them coming before you can see them, then they careen on by. It's amazing. Years ago I watched the FIS downhill tryouts at Wildcat Mt. in New Hampshire. They used the Wildcat trail which is steep, narrow, windy, and icy. This was before they used netting on the side of the course. Jesus, those guys were putting their lives on the line. It's a true blood sport.

HburgXL06
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with ya hardwork. People who don't see the Winter Olympians as true athletes don't know what the f**k they talkin bout.

BuFu

hardwork
03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I like your writing style, BuFu.

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe I don't know what the *bleep* I'm talking about, I just did not find these olympics interesting. Hockey is the only competition that I enjoyed watching in these olympics. For the most part, they were boring and totally lacked a feel good story.

On top of that, maybe these reasons helped turned me off and left a very bad taste in my mouth?

1) Bode Miller being a complete moron.

2) Kwan missing the olympics.

3) Two speed skaters on the same team fighting with each other.

4) The female snowboarder show boating towards gold and blowing it.

That's about all I took away from these olympics.

HburgXL06
03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I like your writing style, BuFu.

Thank you I appreciate the compliment.

BuFu