PDA

View Full Version : Practice Squad

ETL
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad
The Steelers signed eight first or second-year players to their practice squad today. All eight players were with the team during this summerís training camp, but were released during final roster cuts.

The players added to the Steelers practice squad include: TE Eugene Bright, OG Dorian Brooks, S DaíMon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, OT Kyle Jolly, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers and DE Doug Worthington.

Clubs were able to sign up to eight players to their practice squad beginning at noon on Sunday, Sept. 5. Players are eligible for an NFL practice squad position if they have less than a cumulative eight games of NFL experience on a 53-man active roster. Players may only be eligible for a single teamís practice squad for up to three seasons.

Where's Joe Burnett? Heard that Logan, Bailey, Frazier and Urbik found other gigs.

Fire Haley
09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
It took them that long just to keep all our own players? yawn

I guess people should be doing back-flips that we kept a FB.

Worthington over Sonny Harris, no big surprises anywhere.

oh well, our roster was set

kirklandrules
09-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Where's Joe Burnett?

This was interesting ... seems Burnett just fell off the face of the Steelers planet. Wonder what happened? Was this just a case of simply being beat by the competition or was there more to it here?

Also surprised by the dumping of Sonny Harris. Thought we had a good opinion on that young talent. Again, seems like the talent was stacked against him.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Burnett's wherabouts is a mystery. I still think we should have kept him over Madison. Good to see Tyler is still with us!!

Tone's Toes
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Burnett dressed a lot last year so he probably isn't eligible for the practice squad.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
But where is he at?

Tone's Toes
09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I guess still unemployed, but I'd imagine someone will give him a shot within the next few days/weeks.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I was kind of hoping we would carry Justin Thorton too. It would have been unusual to have two safties on the PS but I thought he looked pretty good this preseason.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
According to facebook, the Steelers released Doug Worthington from the practice squad and signed 4th round pick of the Saints DE Al Woods.

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
According to facebook, the Steelers released Doug Worthington from the practice squad and signed 4th round pick of the Saints DE Al Woods.

Wow...really? maybe Worthington asked to be released. He was getting rave reviews.

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I was kind of hoping we would carry Justin Thorton too. It would have been unusual to have two safties on the PS but I thought he looked pretty good this preseason.

I was happy we kept Cromartie-Smith. I like his fire. He may replace Mundy some day.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I was happy we kept Cromartie-Smith. I like his fire. He may replace Mundy some day.

I agree. I thought he had a shot at taking the backup SS spot this year. I just think Thorton had a good enough preseason to garner a PS spot also.

Fire Haley
09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Al Woods

http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/uploads/woods_al.jpg

Positives: Woods has a thick frame with very long limbs, large hands and strong, thick lower body that allows him to generate good leg drive coming off the snap … Very agile and powerful lineman who shows impressive aggression flashing into the backfield, using strong hand swipes to get a good push off blockers … Despite his tall frame, he does a good job of sinking his weight and maintaining balance on the move, using his long arms effectively to keep blockers from attacking his legs … Keeps his hands inside his frame and generates a strong hand punch to split double teams … Has very good explosion heading upfield, showing no hesitation to the play … Uses his raw power to toss blockers aside with consistency … Displays the proper hand technique to dominate, shed and wrap up ballcarriers in the backfield … Has developed an array of spin moves and has learned how to stay low coming out of his charge, making him much more effective on shooting the gaps … His fluid change-of-direction agility allows him to move down the line instantly … Explodes into ballcarriers when tackling, as he consistently gets leverage to be a disruptive force in the backfield … Has the short-area quickness to chase down the plays and is effective when sliding down to play over the center's head … Has excellent rip skills to fight through the double team … Uses his club and swim moves with consistency when shedding … Gets a good inside surge with his initial burst and is quite nimble for a big man when changing direction and working down the line.

Negatives: Generally keeps his pads down, but there are times where he tends to go upright when his initial move does not work, resulting in him losing leverage on the play … Has had concentration lapses and needs to show a better overall awareness for the play … While he is adequate as a pass rusher, he needs to develop another move when redirecting inside (blockers can get into his chest, as he leaves himself exposed, at times) … Sometimes tries to overpower his man on each play, taking him out of the action as he hesitates some to redirect … Must learn when to give up on the battle and redirect to make the play (gets so caught up in one-on-one confrontations, he forgets to go after the ballcarrier at times) … Good wrap-up tackler, but despite his strength it is rare to see him punish or explode into ballcarriers.

04/25/2010 - COULD SURPRISE: Defensive tackle Al Woods -- The Saints didn't have a true run-stopper to pair with Sedrick Ellis after tackle Kendrick Clancy was lost for the 2009 season. Woods, who is extremely agile, was known as a stout run defender at LSU and could help the Saints solve their problem

tony hipchest
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
werent several of the draft geeks here pimping him as a potential mid-round selection?

MasterOfPuppets
09-07-2010, 07:02 PM
werent several of the draft geeks here pimping him as a potential mid-round selection?

he was a mid round selection...:noidea:

Former LSU superstar Glenn Dorsey once summed up the tantalizing potential of fellow defensive tackle tackle Al Woods by saying, "I've seen the future of LSU defense, and it's Al Woods."

The New Orleans Saints traded up to secure LSU defensive tackle Al Woods in the NFL draft Saturday.Woods, a gifted 6-foot-4, 309-pound athlete, never quite lived up to those lofty expectations, starting just one year for the Tigers in 2009. But clearly the New Orleans Saints saw that same upside, prompting them to trade up seven spots Saturday to draft Woods with the 123rd overall pick in Round 4.

tony hipchest
09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
he was a mid round selection...:noidea:

my bad... i meant US selecting him w/ a midround pick.

MasterOfPuppets
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
my bad... i meant US selecting him w/ a midround pick.
obviously the steelers did have their eye on him.... of course they musta been thinking post 4th.
anyway....the draft geek community gave woods tons of undeserved luv, for nothing more than potential based on his measurables.

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
obviously the steelers did have their eye on him.... of course they musta been thinking post 4th.
anyway....the draft geek community gave woods tons of undeserved luv, for nothing more than potential based on his measurables.

It's not Woods that makes me surprised. It's Worthington. They could have cut one of those other players.

ETL
09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
It's not Woods that makes me surprised. It's Worthington. They could have cut one of those other players.

Agree. I thought Worthington was good enough to make the roster at times. I guess they only want a limited amount of PS spots for DL.

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Agree. I thought Worthington was good enough to make the roster at times. I guess they only want a limited amount of PS spots for DL.

I think we should have given him a year. Like I said, maybe he was giving them attitude or asked to be released. I want more info. There must be some other players that should not be cut. As much as I like Tyler Grisham, he is a luxury. He is unlikely to ever be a Steeler again. I think he could make another team. Let him go find work.

The reason it is good to have two is we don't know which will be good.

I do hope the new guy is good. Brandt was saying he was the highest drafted player that didn't make a team. He was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

SteelMember
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Wow...really? maybe Worthington asked to be released. He was getting rave reviews.

I'm not sure where you heard that. He was considered a project from the get go. The fact that 31 other teams passed on him 6 times tells me that their were better projects out there, but if your are an OSU fan, I can see where some of this is coming from.

Also, the fact that we released a DE for another DE/NT project shouldn't suprise anyone. We don't need more than 2 at any one position to protect against potential injuries on the 53. It stands to reason that having a good mix there will cover more bases if someone were to go down.

Here's a link to Woods from one of the better draft sites.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66825&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure where you heard that. He was considered a project from the get go. The fact that 31 other teams passed on him 6 times tells me that their were better projects out there, but if your are an OSU fan, I can see where some of this is coming from.

Also, the fact that we released a DE for another DE/NT project shouldn't suprise anyone. We don't need more than 2 at any one position to protect against potential injuries on the 53. It stands to reason that having a good mix there will cover more bases if someone were to go down.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66825&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT

As an Ohio State fan I agree with you completely. Watching Worthington in the preseason he look pretty weak. Especially against the run. I remeber one play in the Denver game specifically where he got drove eight yards down the field. Not good when your your specialty is run stuffing.

I wish him luck and hope he finds a roster spot somewhere but right now Woods was the better option.

SteelKnight
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Ed Bouchette, for one, was talking about it.

I must say on a PS, they should really follow BPA. If they have two worthy DT/DEs, so what? Plus we have another D-Lineman on the PS. You never know which one will develop.

SteelMember
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Ed Bouchette, for one, was talking about it.

I must say on a PS, they should really follow BPA. If they have two worthy DT/DEs, so what? Plus we have another D-Lineman on the PS. You never know which one will develop.

I don't know about 'ol Ed sometimes, but my point for the practice squad was we already had 3 defensive linemen. 4 would be overkill. Half the squad for D-line. You can't be serious there, can you? If they didn't think Woods was worth more than Worthington... they wouldn't have made the deal. Personally, I didn't see anything, but I'm not writing the checks either.

SteelKnight
09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't know about 'ol Ed sometimes, but my point for the practice squad was we already had 3 defensive linemen. 4 would be overkill. Half the squad for D-line. You can't be serious there, can you? If they didn't think Woods was worth more than Worthington... they wouldn't have made the deal.

It was earlier on in the preseason because I had just made my earlu 53 and I remember he was talking about the Steelers thinking they've found a talent there who looks good at DE and can also play NT and they would hope to sneak him on the PS without anyone noticing but it might not happen. I remember because I looked at my list again. maybe after that he had some bad games and minds were changed. IDK.

I recognized his name more than some of those other guys so I was surprised.

It's OK...unless he turns out to be good elsewhere...lol.

SteelMember
09-08-2010, 02:21 PM
It was earlier on in the preseason because I had just made my earlu 53 and I remember he was talking about the Steelers thinking they've found a talent there who looks good at DE and can also play NT and they would hope to sneak him on the PS without anyone noticing but it might not happen. I remember because I looked at my list again. maybe after that he had some bad games and minds were changed. IDK.

I recognized his name more than some of those other guys so I was surprised.

It's OK...unless he turns out to be good elsewhere...lol.

To be honest with you, I think if Ra'shon Harris were eligible, he'd have made the practice squad before Worthington anyway. The fact that the Steelers kept an eye out for another DE/NT says to me that they saw an opportunity to improve the team. If Worthington does make it somewhere, it will probably be in the same 3 years it would have taken him here. :noidea: