PDA

View Full Version : Team Captains Named

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Steelers Name Four Team Captains

The Steelers selected four players today to serve as team captains for the 2010 season. One new player joins three holdovers from the 2009 season as team captains through a vote of their teammates.

Wide receiver Hines Ward was voted a team captain for the sixth consecutive year (2005-10) and will be joined by tight end and first-time offensive co-captain Heath Miller. Ward registered his club-record sixth 1,000-yard receiving season in 2009, when he also ranked eighth in the NFL with 95 receptions. Miller set a team record for tight ends with 76 catches in 2009 while earning his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

Inside linebacker James Farrior was named a captain of the Steelers’ defense for the seventh straight year (2004-10). Farrior led the Steelers with 126 tackles in 2009, his seventh consecutive season with at least 100 tackles.

Linebacker Keyaron Fox was named special teams captain for the second consecutive season. Fox led all Steelers with 27 special teams tackles (17 solo) in 2009.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Name-Four-Team-Captains/452a4959-71d8-4bef-b575-d8645f7e4e35

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Sweet. Heath is SOOO underrated. Congrats Heath. Why didnt they hold Ben over?

SteelCityMom
09-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Sweet. Heath is SOOO underrated. Congrats Heath. Why didnt they hold Ben over?

Probably for the simple fact that he won't be there for 4 games. If he hadn't been suspended, I imagine he would have been a captain.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Probably for the simple fact that he won't be there for 4 games. If he hadn't been suspended, I imagine he would have been a captain.

True. Good point

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
What do we do when Ben comes back? You know the team won demote Hines. Its between Heath and Ben. I hope they dont demote Heath. He is the consumate professional and team captain worthy.

FogOnTheMon
09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
What do we do when Ben comes back? You know the team won demote Hines. Its between Heath and Ben. I hope they dont demote Heath. He is the consumate professional and team captain worthy.

Nah, they'll keep Heath 'n' Hines at the job. No way a guy suspended for four games (unjustly, and without evidence, I might add... but I digress..) would get picked for captain as soon as he gets back. Plus, I think Heath will be amazing in this new role.

mesaSteeler
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Ben not being named a captain is part of his punishment. Hines and Heath haven't had off season scandals splashed across the headlines. It's just another reminder to Ben to keep his act together.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
No, I am talking about for Next years vote.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Should have clarified. I guess my post does say "when Ben comes back". My bad. I was talking about Next year because you obviously cant have another vote for this season, done deal.

steeltheone
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Good picks in H and H......BR7 needs to worry about other things...

StainlessStill
09-06-2010, 12:55 PM

..Maybe like becoming the teams M.V.P when he returns. Becoming team M.V.P (again) will prove at the end of the season that Ben came in and did his job on a team that is in need of veteran leadership, and that stems from on-field & OFF-FIELD performance.

Corey120120
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Like i always say, when in doubt throw it to the big white boy. Im so happy for miller, he is one of our best recievers

scsteeler
09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I know this may be a dumb questions but what are the responsibilities of the Team Captains other than Being leaders on the team and a example to the other players?

steeltheone
09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=StainlessStill;840034]..Maybe like becoming the teams M.V.P when he returns. Becoming team M.V.P (again) will prove at the end of the season that Ben came in and did his job on a team that is in
need of veteran leadership, and that stems from on-field & OFF-FIELD performance.[

Veteran leadership is not a problem. We have one of the older teams in the league.

ETL
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Previously, Ben was named "Captain" by default because he was the QB. He really wasn't a team leader. Other players did not look up to him or it sounds like many did not like him that much.

He needs to earn his "captain" label now and I think it presents a nice challenge for him. I think its embarassing for a two-time super bowl winning QB not to be named Captain and I hope ben takes on that challenge and earns that title.

StainlessStill
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=StainlessStill;840034]..Maybe like becoming the teams M.V.P when he returns. Becoming team M.V.P (again) will prove at the end of the season that Ben came in and did his job on a team that is in
need of veteran leadership, and that stems from on-field & OFF-FIELD performance.[

Veteran leadership is not a problem. We have one of the older teams in the league.

We had veteran leadership after Bettis left as well. Same with Joey Porter. Of course our older vets hold a staple within this team, always have, always will but I seriously do believe that someone like Ben needs to step up and be THEE leader of the entire unit, something noone has really taken grasp of.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Team captains, keep the other guys in line. If the players have issues the captains will take those issues to the coaching staff. The team captains are the leaders, they do more than just go out for the coin toss. They set the example that the rest of the guys are to follow. So Ben eliminated himself.

TackleMeBen
09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
yeah like keeping his pants up and staying out of trouble:chuckle:

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I guess the team wasnt moved by Bens emotional outburst.

Shea
09-06-2010, 09:51 PM

No, I'm sure the team did appreciate Ben standing before them and apologizing.

Ben shouldn't be a captain, just as Reed lost his captancy due to his offseason as well.

fast988
09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
If he doesn't go to the bar forever, he'll make the work next year.

zulater
09-06-2010, 10:08 PM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_698216.html

James Harrison lost his chair at the captains table too. So what do you make of that? :popcorn:

Shea
09-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Zu, they cut down on how many captains they'd have this year.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Ben shouldn't be a captain, just as Reed lost his captancy due to his offseason as well.

Reed was special teams captain due to no other standouts on the special teams.

Downbylaw
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_698216.html

James Harrison lost his chair at the captains table too. So what do you make of that? :popcorn:

I dont make anything out of it. He was a late bloomer anyways and its not like he is the qb. You know like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers who are Captains and act like them as well as Team Mvps and play like them.

Shea
09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Reed was special teams captain due to no other standouts on the special teams.

Ok, and that has what to do with what I posted?

steeltheone
09-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Perfect post...It is what it is!

steeltheone
09-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I dont make anything out of it. He was a late bloomer anyways and its not like he is the qb. You know like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers who are Captains and act like them as well as Team Mvps and play like them.

Well Farrior does give it his all and plays hard...But is no where near Harrisons level at this point.

zulater
09-07-2010, 05:33 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_698241.html

Ben is our quarterback," Ward said. "He is the leader of this team by being a quarterback. Instead of looking at (Roethlisberger not getting voted a captain), I was happy for Heath. Captain doesn't just mean what you do on the field. It's what you do off the field."

Miller said his election as a captain surprised him, given his quiet nature.

"I didn't talk my way into it," Miller said, "but it's a special honor. I take it as the highest compliment from my teammates."

"That's awesome for Heath," Farrior said of the six-year veteran. "It shows how far he's come. Even though he's one of the most quiet guys in the locker room, he's still able to lead."

Good for Heath. Well deserved. :applaudit:

I think Ben will have enough on his plate when he comes back without having to trot on the field for the coin toss.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Well Farrior does give it his all and plays hard...But is no where near Harrisons level at this point.

I disagree. Farrior has those intangibles that are so valuable. Farrior is by far the mnost important Lb on the defense, in terms of all around value. He is the best run stuffer we have, he is the smartest LB too. Has he lost a step? Yes but thats where the knowledge kicks in. He also keeps cool heads. The ultimate, consumate profesional and leader. Harrison is not.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 06:09 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_698241.html

Ben is our quarterback," Ward said. "He is the leader of this team by being a quarterback. Instead of looking at (Roethlisberger not getting voted a captain), I was happy for Heath. Captain doesn't just mean what you do on the field. It's what you do off the field."

Miller said his election as a captain surprised him, given his quiet nature.

"I didn't talk my way into it," Miller said, "but it's a special honor. I take it as the highest compliment from my teammates."

"That's awesome for Heath," Farrior said of the six-year veteran. "It shows how far he's come. Even though he's one of the most quiet guys in the locker room, he's still able to lead."

Good for Heath. Well deserved. :applaudit:

I think Ben will have enough on his plate when he comes back without having to trot on the field for the coin toss.

Good post. Also, how can Ben mentor a young guy? Its equivalent to the drunkard Preacher. Who is going to listen to that guy?

steelerfan5
09-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I wonder why Troy was not named Captain of the defense?

TackleMeBen
09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
or they thought it was fake and didnt believe him.
maybe bc they dont know if he will be healthy all year.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM

When Farrior retires, I'm sure he will be. Polamalu gets a bad rap for injuries. He has only had two years out of 8 where he has been injured for any significant amount of time (07,09).

Shea
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I wonder which of the four will get to be the coin caller in Dallas this February? :tt02:

Or will the NFC get to call it? I bet some football nut here knows the answer to this ....

Downbylaw
09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
I wonder which of the four will get to be the coin caller in Dallas this February? :tt02:

Or will the NFC get to call it? I bet some football nut here knows the answer to this ....

Visiting team calls the coin flip. Probably the Steeler with the most tenure will call it. My guess is Hines

tony hipchest
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
"tails never fails"

that was rod woodson's motto. thats why he's in the hall of fame.

getting it right is important. just ask jerome...

"hea.. tails" dont cut it.

http://www.referee.com/sampleArticles/2001/SampleArticle0101/headsortails/headstailstext.html

The tape also shows that while Luckett was explaining things to Cowher, an off-camera voice said, “He changed it in the air. It never hit the ground.” The camera then panned back enough to see Bettis say to Cowher, “It hadn’t even hit the ground.” Cowher then looked to Bettis, who clearly says, “I said ‘hea-tails.’ I said, ‘hea ….’ I said, ‘hea ….’”

urgle burgle
09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Good post. Also, how can Ben mentor a young guy? Its equivalent to the drunkard Preacher. Who is going to listen to that guy?

I agree, but only partially. It would not be a good idea for him to mentor anyone this year, or probably even next. However, if he stays on the straight and narrow in that time, and repairs himself off the field, then it would be a good thing.

It would be the same as a recovering alcohilic, drug user, or a former gang member mentoring someone in their youth......telling them what to look for, what not to do, and the repercussions of those actions would be.