PDA

View Full Version : Ward not worried about contract

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2005, 12:23 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_323021.html

Wide receiver Hines Ward will cost the Steelers $1,668,750 in base salary and $2,168,750 against the salary cap in 2005, but that situation is subject to change. Sooner, rather than later, if Ward gets his wish.

"I would hope so," he said.

Ward had initially hoped to receive a contract extension last spring. No such offer was forthcoming, but Steelers president Art Rooney II said at the time that it would be a "priority" for the team to extend Ward's contract before he became an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of 2005.

"I'm just up here working out," Ward said Monday. "I did my job. That's between the Steelers and my agent; they didn't really set any timetable."

"I'm here today. I'm ready to go out there and continue being a leader, and working hard. That's really up to my agent (Roosevelt Barnes) and the Steelers. It's out of my control now."

clevestinks
04-12-2005, 03:12 AM
$$$$$$ Whatever it takes, within reason. $$$$$$$
Man I would love to be his agent for the day. This will be easy, he wants to stay, the Steelers want him to stay, the Steelers are willing to pay more. Done deal.

Pay Me.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2005, 07:24 AM
no doubt cleve.... This is something that *knock on wood* probably wont be much of an issue..but you never know for sure when $$$$$ signs start flying around. I would imagine they would start working on his contract maybe a month or so before training camp starts. Similar to what they've done w/ townsend, scott, washington, and many others.

steelersgirl86
04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
As long as he stays I am happy. :)

radaz52
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Ward is worth every penny!!! I love the fact that he states:

"I did my job. That's between the Steelers and my agent; they didn't really set any timetable."

What a great attitude.
Like I said, Worth every penny!!!

clevestinks
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
I believe so many players should learn and listen from players like Bettis and Ward. Play hard, be a team player, and good things will happen

ironcitychef
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Could we get a deal done before this TO thing gets ugly. I would hate for PHI to cave, bump up TO's salary even more just so Roosevelt B. can tell Steelers brass that the average of the top 5 WR in the league just went up. Clock is ticking Steelers FO. Get it now while its a bargain.

BB2W
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
May 5th, 2005

One year after Hines Ward first made it an issue, the Steelers and agent Eugene Parker have opened negotiations for a contract extension that could become the most expensive in the team's history.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05125/499395.stm

"I want to retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I couldn't imagine playing for another team. It's just great hearing other guys: 'Oh, man, you're the best, I really respect the way you play the game. That keeps me motivated to go out and work twice as hard.'

when I read that.......It gave me goosebumps.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Hines Ward realizes there's more to life than money,and he already has more than he'll ever need.He plays with all heart,no matter what.If someone like T.O. doesn't feel he's making enough,he'll "alligator arm" a few balls to show he's unhappy.

There are two ways to go about getting a new contract,the peaceful way and the hostile way.Players seem to always wanna go the hostile way.Maybe if they would just go to the owner/GM/whoever and say "I feel like I have outlplayed my contract,I would like to renegotiate it" the owners/GM's/whoevers wouldn't be so against wanting to do it.

Seriously,what is T.O. going to do with the $49M he was set to make with his current contract?It's probally just going to sit in a bank,he doens't NEED it.

Maybe if he wasn't such a "ME" player he'd have a SB ring.

KeystoneKC
05-05-2005, 12:55 PM
May 5th, 2005

One year after Hines Ward first made it an issue, the Steelers and agent Eugene Parker have opened negotiations for a contract extension that could become the most expensive in the team's history.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05125/499395.stm

"I want to retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I couldn't imagine playing for another team. It's just great hearing other guys: 'Oh, man, you're the best, I really respect the way you play the game. That keeps me motivated to go out and work twice as hard.'

when I read that.......It gave me goosebumps.

Here's the part that gave me goosebumps:

Whether they can reach an agreement is another matter because the model for a new contract has to be the one the Indianapolis Colts gave Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison last year.

At age 32, Harrison received a reported seven-year, $67 million extension that included $23 million in guaranteed money the first two years. He earned a $6 million signing bonus last year plus a $7 million roster bonus this past March, which subsequently was turned into a signing bonus for salary cap accounting. In essence, he received a $13 million signing bonus.

BB2W
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
lol, Sorry guys I didn't mean to get two threads going on the same topic. I brought up the old Ward/contract thread......I didn't see Blitzburgh created a new one. (The Steeler symbols were not in color when I visited) I thought it wasn't posted yet.

clevestinks
05-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I hope Ward get enough, that both are happy. He deseves a bunch, but please don`t break the bank