PDA

View Full Version : I Hate this time of year

3 to be 4
02-26-2006, 06:43 AM
the worst time of the year for me to be a sports fan. No football. No baseball. stuck with crap like college basketball, NBA, or NHL. Is that any kind of way to spend a sunday afternoon?? man, i guess i'll have to pay attention to my kids:bouncy:

Zez
02-26-2006, 07:40 AM
the worst time of the year for me to be a sports fan. No football. No baseball. stuck with crap like college basketball, NBA, or NHL. Is that any kind of way to spend a sunday afternoon?? man, i guess i'll have to pay attention to my kids:bouncy:

I totally agree (especially NBA). But March Madness isn't too bad.

pucho58
02-26-2006, 09:15 AM

I feel your pain thats why I bought a ps2 game(war of the gods)to keep my mind off football. You should try it. Its good therapy.:bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Summer is the worst for me. All that is on is that horribly managed sport that we all know as baseball. Thank god for vacations.

melroseplace
02-26-2006, 10:46 AM
I hate this time of the year too. by this time the cold winter is getting really old, there's no football and it's just kinda blah...start the countdown til training camp!!

BlackNGold203
02-26-2006, 10:59 AM
its tough...the NCAA's keep me a lil occupied....its almost time to break out the golf clubs....the Buccos keep my interest just about long enough for training camp to start....

remember the days when we could get caught up in the Pens playoff runs????

siss
02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
It sucks in California to. Kings are bleh this year and my hate for the Lakers rivals my hate for any team thats not the steelers, so it sucks this time of year to! Oh and school kinda sucks to!

HburgXL06
02-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I actually have no excuse to study on Sunday now and with university cable having only 50 channels (3 each of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, 2 WB's and UPN's) there isn't even and ESPN classic to hope to find an old Steelers game. I would watch AFL if I ever knew when the games were on. I don't give a damn about the games or the teams but at least I would get to see some sort of football. Since the NBA became the NHL and baseball...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....sorry fell asleep for a second. Bring on September.

BuFu

SteelerDan43
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
www.arenafootball.com gives you a full tv and radio schedule, the national broadcasts are on OLN and NBC.

melroseplace
02-27-2006, 05:39 PM
(for those in the Pittsburgh area) I heard that KDKA will be talking to Hines tomorrow around 10 AM. it's probably just a short little interview or something, but better than nothing!

Suitanim
02-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I love this time of year...NASCAR is rolling, Spring Training starting up, College B-ball conference tourney's imminent, march madness right around the corner, the draft only a couple months away.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Well I like college hoops,I am a NASCAR fan,NBA is cool,and it's almost time for baseball (and this year we have the WBC).

HburgXL06
02-28-2006, 02:51 AM
www.arenafootball.com gives you a full tv and radio schedule, the national broadcasts are on OLN and NBC.

Thanks for the info, I'll def check it out!

I love this time of year...NASCAR is rolling, Spring Training starting up, College B-ball conference tourney's imminent, march madness right around the corner, the draft only a couple months away.

I don't get what is so great about NASCAR. Around-and-around a loop for 500 laps and all the cars are the same. If it were back in the day when there were actual differences in the cars and they were doing it on something more than a loop then it may be more exciting. NASCAR commercials are great with all the cars racing on real streets....but that's just some weird advertising. I wish I could get SPEED channel in my dorm so I could possibly find some WRC or LeMans or F1.

BuFu

FisherMOM
02-28-2006, 07:21 AM
for sure, this time of the year stinks....

.. no football.. and I don't ice fish... so no fishing either....

Lyn
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
One good thing coming up is March Madness. This is a really fun time of year and only because of MM, then the draft, then the schedule, then send in fo rtix, set date for annual tailgate. i am enjoying this Superbowl win. I am just enjoying it. Soon, we will start all over again and hopefully bring us 6 Lombardis in '06

SalukiSteelers
02-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Though the NFL is done, this is still a good time for sports in Carbondale, IL.

The Salukis basketball team is fighting for an NCAA berth. The Missouri Valley Conference tournament -- "Arch Madness" -- starts Thursday, in St. Louis. SIU's a #2 seed so their first game is Friday. They play terribly in the 'Lou, so it'll be interesting seeing if they can nab an at-large bid.

SIU baseball is off the chains. The Dawgs took two of three from the #20 team in the nation and they just completed a rare 4-game sweep of the top MAC West team, Central Michigan. SIU is killing the ball -- they're hitting over .300 as a team. Kevin Koski -- think Chris Duffy -- is hitting .524 w/11 RBI and only one K in 42 ABs. SIU has an RPI in the top ten. Good stuff.

HS baseball should start in a couple of weeks. HS basketball is in its postseason and basketball is huge in IL.

The Pirates, despite their young rotation, give fans some hope for a .500 season. Thank goodness for low expectations.

Tiger's on the tube. NASCAR isn't one of my things but I did watch Daytona.

The Bulls suck but teams are fighting for playoff berths in these last few weeks.

And, oh yeah, the Steelers are basking in an SB title. I'm okay with this time of the year.

If I could just figure out a way to not hate school, I'd be fine. If you're thinking of an English major -- don't do it. No money, tons of reading and writing and classmates who are annoying, superior eggheads. Aside from sports, life sucks so if I couldn't find happiness in sports I'd jump off a damn cliff.

HburgXL06
03-01-2006, 01:00 AM
If I could just figure out a way to not hate school, I'd be fine. If you're thinking of an English major -- don't do it. No money, tons of reading and writing and classmates who are annoying, superior eggheads. Aside from sports, life sucks so if I couldn't find happiness in sports I'd jump off a damn cliff.

You must be going to the wrong school. I am an English major too and there may be a good amount of reading but all the English majors I know are real chill and everyone else I know is also. If you don't like it where you are (what school are you at exactly?) try the University of Delaware haha. Peace.

BuFu

Suitanim
03-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't get what is so great about NASCAR. Around-and-around a loop for 500 laps and all the cars are the same. If it were back in the day when there were actual differences in the cars and they were doing it on something more than a loop then it may be more exciting. NASCAR commercials are great with all the cars racing on real streets....but that's just some weird advertising. I wish I could get SPEED channel in my dorm so I could possibly find some WRC or LeMans or F1.

BuFu

I'll give you the fast, abridged Cliff's notes synopsis:

500 mile races (None of this 112k crap)
36+ races a season
Road Racing
Tech
Drafting
Co-opetition
Most competitive racing in the World

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch F-1.

clevestinks
03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Kids! LOL

College hoops is great once the Final Four starts up!

Koopa
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
i love this time of year, it's really the only time i can soley focus on my spurs

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
i love this time of year, it's really the only time i can soley focus on my spurs
i was in san antonio mon night but missed the chance to see the spurs and nicks and m. finley going 12-12 (8-8 from 3)at one point- not sure of his final numbers. i really wanted to go though. i got to see the alamo zzzzzzzz and watched the game from several bars along the riverwalk. the town is really consumed by them thats for sure.

3 to be 4
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
i was in san antonio mon night but missed the chance to see the spurs and nicks and m. finley going 12-12 (8-8 from 3)at one point- not sure of his final numbers. i really wanted to go though. i got to see the alamo zzzzzzzz and watched the game from several bars along the riverwalk. the town is really consumed by them thats for sure.

I miss San Antonio. I lived there from 1986-1989. the Riverwalk is awesome. Of course i moved the year before David Robinson arrived. But i did get to see the Celtics at their peak when they came to town. In March of 1986, Larry Bird, at the peak of his career, had a triple double with 30 points by halftime.

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
i have never been to a bb game (so i really wanted to go even if it was in the nosebleed seats) and never been to s.a. made it a point to go see the alamo. it looks like this will be a yearly trip with my company which is based there and next year they want to put us up in a hotel located on the riverwalk. coming from the desert i dig water and now understand why it is such a tourist attraction. it is awsome. and very surreal, and hip.

i got drunk on samuel adams at the hard rock cafe

Koopa
03-01-2006, 10:45 PM
i have never been to a bb game (so i really wanted to go even if it was in the nosebleed seats) and never been to s.a. made it a point to go see the alamo. it looks like this will be a yearly trip with my company which is based there and next year they want to put us up in a hotel located on the riverwalk. coming from the desert i dig water and now understand why it is such a tourist attraction. it is awsome. and very surreal, and hip.

i got drunk on samuel adams at the hard rock cafe

nose bleed is the way to go, 25 bucks (well that's what they were when i went to see them play the heat this past december) for the ticket and since the at&t center is real small you still see everyone real good.

HburgXL06
03-02-2006, 01:38 AM
I'll give you the fast, abridged Cliff's notes synopsis:

500 mile races (None of this 112k crap)
36+ races a season
Road Racing
Tech
Drafting
Co-opetition
Most competitive racing in the World

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch F-1.

All I ever see is them go around-around-around-around-around-.............nothing else. Maybe someone will pass someone.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......I just end up waitin for someone to cause a pile-up or some sort of wreckage. What's so great bout that? It might be great to watch in person but on tv there is no point.

BuFu

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 06:58 PM
All I ever see is them go around-around-around-around-around-.............nothing else. Maybe someone will pass someone.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......I just end up waitin for someone to cause a pile-up or some sort of wreckage. What's so great bout that? It might be great to watch in person but on tv there is no point.

BuFu

i guess they could race down a 500 mile road but that wouldnt be too fun to watch live. you would need several pit teams and the grandstands would be nearly impossible to build. youre into skating on ice right? dont they go round and round when they race? infact most running tracks ive seen are also circular (oval to be precise) in shape.

racings not everyons bag, but it sure breaks the lull between the nfl off season.

baseball? all they do is run around in the shape of a square (diamond to be more precise) and throw and hit and catch a sphere.

basketball? throwing a sphere through a circular hoop within rectangular boundries.

as long as you dont bring up the tired "anyone can drive a car" argument i respect your opinion.

HburgXL06
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
i guess they could race down a 500 mile road but that wouldnt be too fun to watch live. you would need several pit teams and the grandstands would be nearly impossible to build. youre into skating on ice right? dont they go round and round when they race? infact most running tracks ive seen are also circular (oval to be precise) in shape.

racings not everyons bag, but it sure breaks the lull between the nfl off season.

baseball? all they do is run around in the shape of a square (diamond to be more precise) and throw and hit and catch a sphere.

basketball? throwing a sphere through a circular hoop within rectangular boundries.

as long as you dont bring up the tired "anyone can drive a car" argument i respect your opinion.

Yea, I know most things are circular and I like racing in general. But in baseball do the runners just constantly lap the bases? No, theres batting, and fielding involved. In speed skating there are differences in the competitors and you can see the power they are exerting to gain their speed. With NASCAR all the cars are the same for the most part. The engines are the same, the shells (fiberglass around a steel roll cage) are all the same so it's no fun to watch them follow each other around the track. I don't think its just like driving a car and I know you aren't accusing me of that. I can see where it would be competitive to pass and have the endurance to complete a race and complete a race on top. I never thought it was comparable to "anyone can drive a car" I just don't think NASCAR specifically is interesting to watch on TV. To bring up your arguement about racing 500 miles on a road with multiple pit crews...they have it on road and off-road: it's called the WRC aka Rally racing. It's so fun to watch the cars as they race over the terrain.

Also I am into skating, but not speed skating so much. I'm a figure skater which is also based a lot around circles. You rotate in spins and jumps in a circle, edges and turns are all based on the different circle radii (multiple radius), etc.
Peace.

BuFu

FisherMOM
03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
trout season is right around the corner.

I hear that!
Now.. As long as the ICE is all gone...I'm gonna be fishin'!

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Yea, I know most things are circular and I like racing in general. But in baseball do the runners just constantly lap the bases? No, theres batting, and fielding involved. In speed skating there are differences in the competitors and you can see the power they are exerting to gain their speed. With NASCAR all the cars are the same for the most part. The engines are the same, the shells (fiberglass around a steel roll cage) are all the same so it's no fun to watch them follow each other around the track. I don't think its just like driving a car and I know you aren't accusing me of that. I can see where it would be competitive to pass and have the endurance to complete a race and complete a race on top. I never thought it was comparable to "anyone can drive a car" I just don't think NASCAR specifically is interesting to watch on TV. To bring up your arguement about racing 500 miles on a road with multiple pit crews...they have it on road and off-road: it's called the WRC aka Rally racing. It's so fun to watch the cars as they race over the terrain.

Also I am into skating, but not speed skating so much. I'm a figure skater which is also based a lot around circles. You rotate in spins and jumps in a circle, edges and turns are all based on the different circle radii (multiple radius), etc.
Peace.

BuFu nice post. i will admit i have seen some pretty boring nascar races before but i have also seen some moments in the sport that rival jordans last shot against the jazz or jeromes fumble and bens tackle vs. indy. while i dont follow figure skating i do appreciate it and enjoy checking it out once every 4 years.

i sure would like to try curling.

the rally racing is awesome although i much prefer nascar.

HburgXL06
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
nice post. i will admit i have seen some pretty boring nascar races before but i have also seen some moments in the sport that rival jordans last shot against the jazz or jeromes fumble and bens tackle vs. indy. while i dont follow figure skating i do appreciate it and enjoy checking it out once every 4 years.

i sure would like to try curling.

the rally racing is awesome although i much prefer nascar.

I guess I will admit I do not follow NASCAR enought to know the "good moments" and I probably do not know enough about the sport to appreciate all that goes on. Forever it seemed NASCAR was disregarded, at least by me I admit, as just some hick sport born and bred in the redneck, racist south. However, after reading about it and how the races are across the country now (I know they have been all over in the past but it is now becoming more mainstream) and how the teams and racers are becoming more diverse (like how Jerome was noted as wanting to get involved in a NASCAR team investment with another player on this forum) which all makes me appreciate it more. I don't know if I'll ever get really into it but at least it has garned more respect in my book recently....especially listening to some of you guys talking about it on this forum. You aren't just some back-country hicks as my original (and misguided) thoughts were but intelligent diehard fans that appreciate every sport for what it brings to the table.

With skating it also can have its ups and downs. This Olympics except for a few stories was very boring as far as figure skating went. Michelle Kwan was injured, johnny (f*ckin queer) weir wouldn't shut the hell up about how much of a lil girl he is (he is a horrible image for the sport), Evgeni Plushenko just had to step on the ice to win gold, and the hottest competitors the US had were ice dancers..........and no one cares about ice dance because its boring as hell. So for me except for getting to see Kimmie Meissner a girl from the same rink/club as me the Olympics was nothing.

I visited a curling rink in Maryland one time when I was at a competition. It was right next door to the regular rink and it was very interesting to watch. I don't understand how the points work or the rules but the physics/mechanics of it is all is interesting. Unlike hockey ice they actually sprinkle the ice with water so that is is really bumpy. As I was told that way the stones they use have less actual contact with the ice and move easier across it. The brushes are used to apply pressure to the area of ice in front of the moving stone to melt the very top layer of the ice and create somewhat of a puddle that guides the stone in whatever way they want. It is cool....now if I just knew what they were screaming about when they did all this I would get it. Peace.

PS: If I mistakenly came off as offensive it is by mistake. Just let me know if I was and I'll correct myself. I apologize if I did accidently say something of poor taste.

BuFu

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 05:00 PM
PS: If I mistakenly came off as offensive it is by mistake. Just let me know if I was and I'll correct myself. I apologize if I did accidently say something of poor taste.

BuFu

no, not at all dude.

i have to admit i was mesmerised by belbin and agusto (sp) and her sheer beauty and the dynamic they shared on the ice. in nascar you really dont wish anyone to wreck but it is a little thrilling when it happens just like in skating you will tune in just to see if someone bites it. you feel sorry for them but it is exciting that a wreck or a bail could happen, so in that aspect they share a little similarity.

nascar has worked very hard to shed the good ol boy image it has always had. as far as diversity they are about 50 years behind baseball and basketball. magic johnson has become involved taking hundereds of inner city kids to the races in california. as you said JB wants to get involved as does tim brown. other footbal people who have been involved as owners are dan marino, jim kelly, terry bradshaw, troy aikman, and roger staubach. brett farve is interrested. big ben was the grand marshall (the dude who says "gentlemen, start your engines") at a busch race-nascars triple A- last year.
walter payton became a racecar driver after he retired from football.

alot of the drivers are former stand out atheletes in other areas.

sterling marlin- h.s. standout qb (huge vols fan)
brendan gaughan- team mate of allen iverson and the hoyas
dale jarrett- offered golf scholorship. probably coulda gone pro
mark martin has a 6 hour religious workout regimen that rivals most boxers
carl edwards is yoked and built like chipper jones
ryan newman is built like a smallish linebacker
elliot saddler- starred in 5 sports in h.s. and turned down many scholorships to race.

teams are now recruiting hs and college atheletes to be pit crew members.

the focus on atheleticism in the sport is akin to the revolution in baseball about 35 years ago when the players figured out that hitting the weightroom and being conditionned would give them a competitive edge.

3 to be 4
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
After further review and reading all the posts I have to say:

I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 08:01 PM

well i must say i am glad the steelers squeezed an extra 4 games out of a season that many thought would end with them sitting at home in january.

HburgXL06
03-03-2006, 09:04 PM
no, not at all dude.

i have to admit i was mesmerised by belbin and agusto (sp) and her sheer beauty and the dynamic they shared on the ice. in nascar you really dont wish anyone to wreck but it is a little thrilling when it happens just like in skating you will tune in just to see if someone bites it. you feel sorry for them but it is exciting that a wreck or a bail could happen, so in that aspect they share a little similarity.

nascar has worked very hard to shed the good ol boy image it has always had. as far as diversity they are about 50 years behind baseball and basketball. magic johnson has become involved taking hundereds of inner city kids to the races in california. as you said JB wants to get involved as does tim brown. other footbal people who have been involved as owners are dan marino, jim kelly, terry bradshaw, troy aikman, and roger staubach. brett farve is interrested. big ben was the grand marshall (the dude who says "gentlemen, start your engines") at a busch race-nascars triple A- last year.
walter payton became a racecar driver after he retired from football.

alot of the drivers are former stand out atheletes in other areas.

sterling marlin- h.s. standout qb (huge vols fan)
brendan gaughan- team mate of allen iverson and the hoyas
dale jarrett- offered golf scholorship. probably coulda gone pro
mark martin has a 6 hour religious workout regimen that rivals most boxers
carl edwards is yoked and built like chipper jones
ryan newman is built like a smallish linebacker
elliot saddler- starred in 5 sports in h.s. and turned down many scholorships to race.

teams are now recruiting hs and college atheletes to be pit crew members.

the focus on atheleticism in the sport is akin to the revolution in baseball about 35 years ago when the players figured out that hitting the weightroom and being conditionned would give them a competitive edge.

Belbin and Agosto were a good dance team this year and were rewarded with the silver medal. To my knowledge that is the first US medal at the Olympics for ice dancing within the past two (or three) decades. I have noticed that NASCAR has become more mainstream in the recent years and that the main competition today is between drivers and not between auto manufacturers. Everyone tries to get a competitive edge and I'm sure that all the drivers (or at least the top ones) are very physically fit as any athlete is for their sport. This probably does give them a competitve edge (I've read of all sorts of tactics that have been used in all different areas of racing for an advantage. The two in NASCAR that I know of are when one team realized there was a restriction on the size of the fuel cell, but not on the size or length of hose in that connected the fuel cell to the fuel injection system on the engine. So they snaked the hose all around the car and gained an extra 11 gallons of fuel capacity. Another one was that the cars had to be a certain weight. So one team, to make the proper weight, filled the inside of the roll cage with birdshot that made the car heavier during weigh-in. Then once the race had started there was a quick release switch that emptied the birdshot from the tubes/rails of the rollcage at the beginning of the race. This was thought to be ok since it could never be traced as to how or where it was coming from. The problem came when before a race the team decided to wash the car which caused water to get inside the cage and rust the birdshot inside but still loose enought to somewhat slowly trickle out. It was said that when the driver returned to pit row it was like someone had fired a shotgun with all the metal flying around. My source just in case anyone thinks I'm bullshitting is from a Motor Trend article I read almost a year ago. I'd look up the magazine to be more accurate but my teacher took the magazine away from me in class because I was reading it haha.). Anyway I've diverged.

I can tell you from MUCH experience in my own everyday practicing that skaters fall a lot and it often hurts. You do get used to it to a certain extent and as weird as it sounds your body "learns" the "right" way to fall as to avoid too much pain. A lot of skaters also wear padding around their hips, tailbone, and sometimes their knees to avoid extensive stress taking a toll on their bodies. An example of the damage that can be done when not wearing pads: within a year of winning a gold medal in Nagano, Tara Lipinski had to have hip surgery to repair the extensive blunt trauma that her body had endured from falling continuously on her side while practicing her then famous triple loop-triple loop combination. Her left hip was just horribly bruised and battered from years of falling on it without wearing pads. I don't know if she had anything done on the right hip but if she did that can also be understood. The amount of pressure and strain put on the body in a triple jump is enormous. Since her trademark combination was a loop-loop combination (a loop jump takes off and lands on the same foot so essentially the skater takes off/lands/takes off/lands all in less than two seconds. You can understand then how that can break down all the joints and ligaments in the area. The muscles and joints have to create spring to accelerate into the air and then be able to absorb the force of falling almost 3 feet out of the air and then repeat the process in a very short amount of time. If I repeat myself I apologize. I'm just trying to explain the forces and altheticism that are needed to be a competitive skater. If I sound on a soap box I apologize I just have had to deal with many people over the years who do not see figure skating as a real sport. Being a skater I know what it does take and am even more amazed when I see other skaters doing the amazing performances. I've diverged too many times so far so I'll let it go for now. Peace.

BuFu

HburgXL06
03-03-2006, 09:06 PM

Which is why you entertain yourself by reading our posts on this forum. If you don't like what we talkin bout go somewhere else.

BuFu

3 to be 4
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
i think i stayed in Newark,De on my way to SC. is there a comfort inn there next to a great diner??

HburgXL06
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
i think i stayed in Newark,De on my way to SC. is there a comfort inn there next to a great diner??

There's a Quality Inn right off I-95 that has the "1st State Diner" as its restaurant. When did you come through? I think it was a Comfort Inn before it was a Quality Inn. Just for reference the hotel I'm talking about was across from the Howard Johnson's and Friendly's. Newark, DE really isn't much besides a college town that gets a lot of income from the students at the university. It's a fun place if you attend school and know where to party here haha. Peace.

BuFu

3 to be 4
03-04-2006, 05:41 AM
There's a Quality Inn right off I-95 that has the "1st State Diner" as its restaurant. When did you come through? I think it was a Comfort Inn before it was a Quality Inn. Just for reference the hotel I'm talking about was across from the Howard Johnson's and Friendly's. Newark, DE really isn't much besides a college town that gets a lot of income from the students at the university. It's a fun place if you attend school and know where to party here haha. Peace.

BuFu

THATS THE PLACE!!!!!! When we moved from Leominster,Ma to Florence,SC ( i kn ow i know, pretty dumb, but that is being rectified next week with a move to Olathe,KS), I took the U-haul on Christmas Day, 2004 and started driving. I made it as far as Newark,DE and had a nice restful nigh watching the KC-Oakland game, then eating at the 1st State Diner. I love places lioke that. the next morning I had a nice breakfast there and heard about a storm coming to Virginia and NC so i drove as far as i could the next day until i landed at some Hampton Inn in Virginia. the only place to watch the Patriots-Jets game was at the Hooters across the street. I love football so much I hardly noticed the.....oh never mind

HburgXL06
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
THATS THE PLACE!!!!!! When we moved from Leominster,Ma to Florence,SC ( i kn ow i know, pretty dumb, but that is being rectified next week with a move to Olathe,KS), I took the U-haul on Christmas Day, 2004 and started driving. I made it as far as Newark,DE and had a nice restful nigh watching the KC-Oakland game, then eating at the 1st State Diner. I love places lioke that. the next morning I had a nice breakfast there and heard about a storm coming to Virginia and NC so i drove as far as i could the next day until i landed at some Hampton Inn in Virginia. the only place to watch the Patriots-Jets game was at the Hooters across the street. I love football so much I hardly noticed the.....oh never mind

I love diners too. Back at home in Harrisburg, PA we spend a lot of bored time hanging around in diners. I ate at the 1st State Diner a few years back and I remember the food was aiight. Why would I play you on moving from MA to SC? I like the south a lot. I was in Charleston, SC about two years back and it was SO nice. I'd be more interested why you are moving to KS? Or why you've moving twice in the past 2/3 years. But it ain't my business to ask so I apologize. But yea Delaware is a state that most people just drive through aka only see on I-95. I think it's funny on how they make you pay money to leave the state of Delaware! If I was at Hooters I do not think I would be able to pay attention to most any football game.....unless it was the Steelers.

PS: Forgot to mention, you would love my roommate. He's a patriots fan. I have to wake up every morning in the dorm to see his patriots super bowl XXXIX 3-time champions flag that is 3x2 ft. Ironically he's from Jersey but I guess his dad is from Boston area. He also is a diehard Red Sox fan. No matter though, I have my Terrible Towel hanging up and a Steelers poster on my closet door and I plan to get a Pittsburgh Steelers 5-TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS FLAG that measures 3x5 ft. to cover what is now a Jamaican flag that hangs over my bed. Peace

BuFu

tony hipchest
03-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I can tell you from MUCH experience in my own everyday practicing that skaters fall a lot and it often hurts. You do get used to it to a certain extent and as weird as it sounds your body "learns" the "right" way to fall as to avoid too much pain. A lot of skaters also wear padding around their hips, tailbone, and sometimes their knees to avoid extensive stress taking a toll on their bodies. An example of the damage that can be done when not wearing pads: within a year of winning a gold medal in Nagano, Tara Lipinski had to have hip surgery to repair the extensive blunt trauma that her body had endured from falling continuously on her side while practicing her then famous triple loop-triple loop combination. Her left hip was just horribly bruised and battered from years of falling on it without wearing pads. I don't know if she had anything done on the right hip but if she did that can also be understood. The amount of pressure and strain put on the body in a triple jump is enormous. Since her trademark combination was a loop-loop combination (a loop jump takes off and lands on the same foot so essentially the skater takes off/lands/takes off/lands all in less than two seconds. You can understand then how that can break down all the joints and ligaments in the area. The muscles and joints have to create spring to accelerate into the air and then be able to absorb the force of falling almost 3 feet out of the air and then repeat the process in a very short amount of time. If I repeat myself I apologize. I'm just trying to explain the forces and altheticism that are needed to be a competitive skater. If I sound on a soap box I apologize I just have had to deal with many people over the years who do not see figure skating as a real sport. Being a skater I know what it does take and am even more amazed when I see other skaters doing the amazing performances. I've diverged too many times so far so I'll let it go for now. Peace.

BuFu well i have definitely gained even MORE respect for you and your sport. dont sweat the fools who say youre not an athelete. racing drivers catch that heat all the time. i have skated, although on a skateboard back in the day, so i totally understand what youre saying about biting it. you definitely get beat up. i definitely look at someone like tony hawk as a skater and respect him alot as one i looked up to when i was younger. i pretty much respect all the "tricks" figure skaters do just as those that skateboarders, snowboarders, etc. do. its pretty awesome stuff that takes total body control and almost a completely different level of precision and practice than alot of sports.

good luck especially if youre active in competition.

HburgXL06
03-04-2006, 04:15 PM
well i have definitely gained even MORE respect for you and your sport. dont sweat the fools who say youre not an athelete. racing drivers catch that heat all the time. i have skated, although on a skateboard back in the day, so i totally understand what youre saying about biting it. you definitely get beat up. i definitely look at someone like tony hawk as a skater and respect him alot as one i looked up to when i was younger. i pretty much respect all the "tricks" figure skaters do just as those that skateboarders, snowboarders, etc. do. its pretty awesome stuff that takes total body control and almost a completely different level of precision and practice than alot of sports.

good luck especially if youre active in competition.

I appreciate the support man! I respect the skaterboarders, bmx bikers, and all the other extreme sport athletes and only wish people like "viva la bam" didn't give them such a bad image. I was competitive for several years. Qualified for nationals 4 times and competed nationally 3 times. Twice I competed in singles and once in pairs. Since college started I took a break my first semester. But with the start of the new semester I began to get on the ice again after 4 months off! I am still working on getting my jumps back and plan to be competitive this and next year. I want to compete nationally one more time before I get too old to compete. I will keep all you guys updated as to how I'm doing and if there are any competitions in Pittsburgh! Thanks for the support. Peace.

BuFu

blackvelvet
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmmm... I don't think it's too bad. Course, I like NASCAR and college ball. Summer's boring at first, but then I get used to it.

3 to be 4
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I love diners too. Back at home in Harrisburg, PA we spend a lot of bored time hanging around in diners. I ate at the 1st State Diner a few years back and I remember the food was aiight. Why would I play you on moving from MA to SC? I like the south a lot. I was in Charleston, SC about two years back and it was SO nice. I'd be more interested why you are moving to KS? Or why you've moving twice in the past 2/3 years. But it ain't my business to ask so I apologize. But yea Delaware is a state that most people just drive through aka only see on I-95. I think it's funny on how they make you pay money to leave the state of Delaware! If I was at Hooters I do not think I would be able to pay attention to most any football game.....unless it was the Steelers.

PS: Forgot to mention, you would love my roommate. He's a patriots fan. I have to wake up every morning in the dorm to see his patriots super bowl XXXIX 3-time champions flag that is 3x2 ft. Ironically he's from Jersey but I guess his dad is from Boston area. He also is a diehard Red Sox fan. No matter though, I have my Terrible Towel hanging up and a Steelers poster on my closet door and I plan to get a Pittsburgh Steelers 5-TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS FLAG that measures 3x5 ft. to cover what is now a Jamaican flag that hangs over my bed. Peace

BuFu

i guess the problem wasnt SC as a whole, just Florence. Not much opportunity here.
the moves are all about jobs. My wifes. she has the brains in the family. She hasnt liked it here since Day 1. Olathe,KS is a beautiful suburban town, very family orientated, just outside of KC, so we're back in civilization. Plus the public schools in Johnson County, KS are like in the top 10 in the country (yes, i know the irony that i said "are like in.." while praising the schools)

but back to the point of entire thread, the 1st State Diner, i loved that place.

HburgXL06
03-05-2006, 09:53 PM
i guess the problem wasnt SC as a whole, just Florence. Not much opportunity here.
the moves are all about jobs. My wifes. she has the brains in the family. She hasnt liked it here since Day 1. Olathe,KS is a beautiful suburban town, very family orientated, just outside of KC, so we're back in civilization. Plus the public schools in Johnson County, KS are like in the top 10 in the country (yes, i know the irony that i said "are like in.." while praising the schools)

but back to the point of entire thread, the 1st State Diner, i loved that place.

Ok, I've never been to Florence, SC so I can't bust you for whether it was bad or good. Coming from a bad public school it's good to hear you found a good system. But yea the diner is still there glad you liked it. Me and my roommate went to Waffle House in Elkton, MD last night (about 5 mins away) at 4am and I love it there. The food is great and you can mix and match whatever you want. After that we drove east until we got to the delaware river to watch the sun rise. Got back and was asleep finally at 8am. It was a great night but I was looking at all the hotels and diners/restaurants on the roads (there's a lot of them around a college town) and I couldn't find any other place that matched your description. Come back sometime.....Delware will still be the same, it never changes haha (sorry all of us at this school that are not from Delaware like to bust on the state because it seems so .......well nothing much really lol). Peace.

BuFu