PDA

View Full Version : What if the Steelers go 4-0?

Hayeksheroes
09-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Dixon is to get the start. I wish him Godspeed. I think he'll do fine. What happens if he does super great and the Steelers win the next 4 games?

I guess this is a good problem to have. Tomlin will have little choice but to turn the offense to Ben. Or should he ride the hot hand of Dixon?

MACH1
09-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Ben starts game 5. End of story.

ajs8207
09-07-2010, 01:18 AM
No offense but you have to be kidding. Ben's in game 5, no questions asked.

tony hipchest
09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
if the steelers go 4-0 it most certainly wont be because of arians playcalling, and unfortunately (because of that) wont be because of dixon.

but if they do go 4-0 i expect ben to return and they do even better.

mikegrimey
09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
It'd be awesome if we go 4-0 but the only way Ben doesn't start ASAP is if Dixon or LEftwich or Batch start slinging the ball around like Steve Young in his hey-day.

madtowndrunkard
09-07-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm as big a steeler fan as anyone here. Starting 4-0 with out Ben and Byron is ridiculous. Even with Ben we'd be lucky to do so.

Why? Arians is still our OC. This is not an offense built to play mistake free football. This is an offense that takes gambles. This is an offense that ignores game situations but tries to go for the kill on nearly every play in every situation. Arians asks the QB to hold the ball for long periods of time. Our offense is not built to eat up clock and keep the opponent off the field. This is the old Cleveland Browns offense. Deny it all you want but that is the fact. With that we take the good with the bad. Sure we'll knock off a great team here and there and we will over come mistakes from time to time. But this type of offense will not generate a lot of winning streaks. We will beat the best teams but we will also lose to the worst teams. In the NFL when you make mistakes you lose. Asking anyone to run Arian's offense and not make mistakes is asking the impossible. If anyone has been paying attention the last two years then you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'll be happy with 2-2 to start the season. I'll be ecstatic with anything better.

Even with Arians we are capable of winning a SB....that all lies on the back of our defense. As with our last SB victory it all depends on if our defense can with stand Bruce Arians offense.

pancake
09-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Dixon is to get the start. I wish him Godspeed. I think he'll do fine. What happens if he does super great and the Steelers win the next 4 games?

I guess this is a good problem to have. Tomlin will have little choice but to turn the offense to Ben. Or should he ride the hot hand of Dixon?

If Steelers are 4-0, then we will be abole to trade in in the offseason for a good pick, because Ben is our starter.

ricardisimo
09-07-2010, 02:36 AM
You should ask a different question regarding week 9:

What if we go 4-0, then Ben takes over and we lose four straight?

Then maybe we have something to discuss, but probably not even then. Sorry.

California-Steel
09-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Then we are 4 and 0. Duh!?!?

MasterOfPuppets
09-07-2010, 03:02 AM
if dixon goes 4-0 and plays well, i'd shop him around for a draft pick.

pete74
09-07-2010, 05:09 AM
if there 4-0 and Dixon has a perfect QB rating in every game plus throws four 5td games without a single pick then i would say leave Dixon in. That's obviously not going to happen but its the only way Ben wouldnt be playing week 6

DanRooney
09-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Not this shit again... :doh:

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 07:00 AM
The Ben Lovers HATE these kind of threads. If Dixon is hot WHY would we trade him? It is a luxury to have two quality qbs. If anyone would get dealt (assuming Dixon tears it up) it would be Ben. From a business perspective it unhandcuffs the team. You get rid of his huge salary, you get value in return. Dixon is younger, more mobile. He will physically slow down a lot later than Ben would. In 4-5 more years Ben will be like Craig Morton (slow) and Dixon will still be fleet of foot (barring injury). I know you guys dont like to think about whats best for the team but I mean come on, its a no brainer.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Plus Dixon is a better Character Person.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Enter the 2 Super Bowl comments. To that I say the 9ers got rid of arguably the best qb in NFL History- Joe Montana for a fast, fleet footed youngster named Steve Young. And oh by the way.......Montana had won FOUR Super Bowls. But his situation fit the situation I just described above. Same goes for Favre and Rodgers. Who left? The OLDER SB winning qb. Makes business sense. And both Young and Rodgers were untested. Worked out fine as well.

DoctorCAD
09-07-2010, 07:44 AM
If the Steelers are 4 -0, we will all have free bacon because pigs will be flying out of all of our asses.

Ain't gonna happen.

steeltheone
09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Dixon is not Steve Young he is Kordell Stewart. The Niners knew what they had in Young, a passer who could run. Dixon has given us no reason to believe he can be an NFL passer. I hope this changes, but i doubt it. Dixon is a Free Agent at the end of this year.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Dixon is not Steve Young he is Kordell Stewart. The Niners knew what they had in Young, a passer who could run. Dixon has given us no reason to believe he can be an NFL passer. I hope this changes, but i doubt it. Dixon is a Free Agent at the end of this year.

How did Young look in Tampa? How did he look in games he subbed for Montana? Average at best for the most part. I never said Dixon was Steve Young just highlighted a principle of how Ben is NOT untouchable like some of you think. Dixon did pretty well in his only start vs the Ravens. In fact our offense looked better under him than it did under Ben weeks later. Dixon had a TD dropped, where he placed it perfectly in Wallaces hands. A lucky play by the DB knocked it out. The jury is out on Dixon as a passer. Its not like Ben is a prolific passer anyways. Hes good but no Manning, Favre, Brees, Warner, Moon, Fouts, Aikman etc.

tony hipchest
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
The Ben Lovers HATE these kind of threads. If Dixon is hot WHY would we trade him? It is a luxury to have two quality qbs. If anyone would get dealt (assuming Dixon tears it up) it would be Ben. From a business perspective it unhandcuffs the team. You get rid of his huge salary, you get value in return. Dixon is younger, more mobile. He will physically slow down a lot later than Ben would. In 4-5 more years Ben will be like Craig Morton (slow) and Dixon will still be fleet of foot (barring injury). I know you guys dont like to think about whats best for the team but I mean come on, its a no brainer.

Plus Dixon is a better Character Person.

Enter the 2 Super Bowl comments. To that I say the 9ers got rid of arguably the best qb in NFL History- Joe Montana for a fast, fleet footed youngster named Steve Young. And oh by the way.......Montana had won FOUR Super Bowls. But his situation fit the situation I just described above. Same goes for Favre and Rodgers. Who left? The OLDER SB winning qb. Makes business sense. And both Young and Rodgers were untested. Worked out fine as well.

in a matter of 5 minutes you have posted 3 posts in succession. this is know as post wh0ring and post count padding amongst internet messageboard and forum circles.

please cease this practice immediately. there are tools at the bottom of your post box to help you out.

see the edit button? learn to use it. notice how i addressed all 3 of your quotes in a single post?

it is called the "multi-quote" feature denoted with the little "MQ" icon. please learn to use that as well.

:thumbsup:

steelerohio
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
If the Steelers go 4-0, I'd say they're in good shape. It doesn't matter who start those four games or after...

GO STEELERS!

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
in a matter of 5 minutes you have posted 3 posts in succession. this is know as post wh0ring and post count padding amongst internet messageboard and forum circles.

please cease this practice immediately. there are tools at the bottom of your post box to help you out.

see the edit button? learn to use it. notice how i addressed all 3 of your quotes in a single post?

it is called the "multi-quote" feature denoted with the little "MQ" icon. please learn to use that as well.

:thumbsup:

Eddie Haskell voice - Why thank you Tony! I will certainly keep that in mind when posting. Thanks for the knowledge bud :applaudit:

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
If the Steelers go 4-0, I'd say they're in good shape. It doesn't matter who start those four games or after...

GO STEELERS!

It depends on how we look in those 4 games.

tony hipchest
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Eddie Haskell voice - Why thank you Tony! I will certainly keep that in mind when posting. Thanks for the knowledge bud :applaudit:im getting pretty sick of your tone.

you have been warned repeatedly, and i already had to remove a post of yours today for arguing the basic enforcement of the simplest of rules.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

9. Do not argue with the enforcement of the above commandments.

-If any of the Steelers Fever Administrators or Moderators tells you to comply with one of these rules, you must comply.
-If you argue the rules, you'll be warned.
-Keep it up, and you'll receive a temporary ban.

infractions are the next step (i think you are on thin ice in those regards), and perhaps you can be an example to serve notice to any newbs who need to review the above COC link.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
im getting pretty sick of your tone.

you have been warned repeatedly, and i already had to remove a post of yours today for arguing the basic enforcement of the simplest of rules.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

infractions are the next step (i think you are on thin ice in those regards), and perhaps you can be an example to serve notice to any newbs who need to review the above COC link.

I thanked you for the knowledge, what would you like me to do be rude? Thats not in my nature. Sorry.

PhantomJB93
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Lets say, hypothetically because this would never happen, Dixon throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs in every game he starts. Obviously he won't replace Ben. I would say keep him in certain packages and utilize him during the season while Ben starts, and once the season ends, shop him around to a team that needs a QB and see what we can get for him.

BritishSteel
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
To answer the original post, Ben comes back in in week 5. If Dixon has an absolute barn-stormer then perhaps we look to utilise him another way (though Arians is no Wisenhunt when it comes to the gadget playbook), but more likely than not he only sees further time in the middle if Ben gets injured (not impossible given recent history) or we're spanking teams every week. Come the close season, we'd be daft not to at least test the water in terms of trade value.

Downbylaw
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Lets say, hypothetically because this would never happen, Dixon throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs in every game he starts. Obviously he won't replace Ben. I would say keep him in certain packages and utilize him during the season while Ben starts, and once the season ends, shop him around to a team that needs a QB and see what we can get for him.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Why didnt the Pats do that with Brady? No they traded Bledsoe. Why didnt the Rams do that? No they traded Trent Green. Why didn the Packers do that? No, they kept Favre and traded Majikowski. Why didnt the Packers do that? No, they traded Favre and kept Rodgers. Why didnt the 9ers do that? No, they traded Montana and kept Young.

Over and over again, they stay with the hot guy and send the replaced "legend" packing. But I know I know. Ben is better than Favre, Montana etc. I get it lol

MACH1
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Why didnt the Pats do that with Brady? No they traded Bledsoe. Why didnt the Rams do that? No they traded Trent Green. Why didn the Packers do that? No, they kept Favre and traded Majikowski. Why didnt the Packers do that? No, they traded Favre and kept Rodgers. Why didnt the 9ers do that? No, they traded Montana and kept Young.

Over and over again, they stay with the hot guy and send the replaced "legend" packing. But I know I know. Ben is better than Favre, Montana etc. I get it lol

And just when has dixon shown he's the next montana? Against 3rd stringers?

So far it's more like the next kordell.

scsteeler
09-08-2010, 06:53 PM

If we go 4-0 that would be great. Week 5 Ben Starts unless they feel he needs another week working with the Offense other than that Ben is the starter Period no matter how good Dixon does.

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 07:36 AM
And just when has dixon shown he's the next montana? Against 3rd stringers?

So far it's more like the next kordell.

Dixon has only played ONE game. SIGH

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
If we go 4-0 that would be great. Week 5 Ben Starts unless they feel he needs another week working with the Offense other than that Ben is the starter Period no matter how good Dixon does.

Thats is a biased statement if I have ever heard of one. "No matter how good Dixon does?" You are kidding right?