PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Heinz Field for the first time

Flames
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi,

I am a Steelers fan from the UK. I'm coming over to Pittsburgh with my son (also a fan) to celebrate his 21st birthday. This will be a one off, chance of a lifetime for us both, and a total surprise for him (he won't know until the week before !) We will be going to the Bengals game.

Obviously with it costing me the best part of $2000, and not being a rich man, I want to make the trip as memorable as possible for him (and me), so can anyone suggest some "must do" things we should do whilst there ?

I also have some questions . . .

1. Is it worth going to Heinz Field the day before the game to look around ?

2. Do they do tours of the stadium ?

3. Is there a training ground where you can see the players from a relatively close distance ?

4. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap(ish) hotel in downtown Pittsburgh that won't break the bank ?

5. Do any of the local stores sell Steelers clothing (t shirts and sweatshirts etc) or is it only NFL registered clothing ?

6. Tailgate parties - how do you get an invite to one ?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

MasterOfPuppets
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
hi flames.... you may find some of your answers in this thread...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36948

or browse through the "fans unite" forum.

Flames
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi MasterOfPuppets,

Thanks for the link, so much to do, eat and drink. Will sure fill our visit, and I guess I will have to drink for my son too, as he isn't 21 til the end of the month ! Shame ! (in the UK you can drink once you are 18)

Regards,

Flames

MasterOfPuppets
09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
:drink: your quite welcome. i hope you've found your answers. i seen somewhere that someone from the UK had said priceline.com was a big help in finding them a good price on a hotel in pittsburgh.
i hope you'll take the time to share your experience with us after your trip. :thumbsup:

what game will you be attending ?

http://www.hellopittsburgh.com/Attractions.cfm?gclid=CKHP2djJ-KMCFeQD5Qod22m1LA

Flames
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Hopefully the home game against the Bengals.

Ideally we would have gone to one in January, after his actual birthday so he could have a beer at the game (the ultimate icing on the cake ? and the US is so hot on checking ID) Knowing my luck we either wouldn't be able to get tickets, or the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs !

Still, the fact it's a surprise should make up for not having a cold one whilst waving that Terrible Towel (yes, we both have them and sat up til 4 am UK time when we watched Superbowl XLIII, with pizza, hot wings and cold Bud !

What a night that was !

Regards,

Flames

MasterOfPuppets
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
i went to a december game in pittsburgh back in 1993. it was so cold that day the beers were turning to ice as you were drinking them .( true story ) i don't remember exactly what the temperature was , but i do remember someone saying the windchill was 25 below zero ....pack extra clothing !!! ....:chuckle:

Flames
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Wise words, thanks for that. Might have room in my suitcase for a nice big winter Steelers jacket ! !

Can't wait to get there, hopefully it will be a great season for the Black and Gold.

Flames