PDA

View Full Version : Our passing game in trouble?

steelrush
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow, our divisional opponents sought to boost their passing games (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_698183.html). How will this impact on us?

Thoughts?

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
My thoughts? Our Dbs will be tested. We won a Super Bowl in 05 with minimal passing game and can again.

scsteeler
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
They key for us this season will be Defense and also the run game on short yardage plays. If these 2 elements of the game succeed then the Steelers will come out with Wins in most situations.

We just need to be able to pass the ball effective when we do pass and not turn the ball over and Dixon needs to understand throwing the ball away is not a bad thing.

TackleMeBen
09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
we will be fine if harrison and woodley just sack the qb every other down...lol

Fire Haley
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
yep - Turn up the heat. Our defense will crush Palmer and flatten Flacco the Choker into the dirt.

WR's don't matter if the Qb has no time to get them the ball.

TackleMeBen
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
yep - Turn up the heat. Our defense will crush Palmer and flatten Flacco the Choker into the dirt.

WR's don't matter if the Qb has no time to get them the ball.
exactly. why do people here get so worried about stuff.. in the words of our great coach... it is what it is.... :thumbsup:

kirklandrules
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Besides, most of the additions in the passing game in our division were made by adding a bunch of has-been WRs. I'm not worried at all. There's a reason TJ was dumped from Seattle. Boldin might be o.k., but he's still not the receiver he was before he had his face crushed. T.O.? He sucked with the Bills and he sucked with the Cowboys before that ... so are we really worried about him? And last but not least ... Cleveland sucks.

Did I miss anything?:noidea:

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Besides, most of the additions in the passing game in our division were made by adding a bunch of has-been WRs. I'm not worried at all. There's a reason TJ was dumped from Seattle. Boldin might be o.k., but he's still not the receiver he was before he had his face crushed. T.O.? He sucked with the Bills and he sucked with the Cowboys before that ... so are we really worried about him? And last but not least ... Cleveland sucks.

Did I miss anything?:noidea:

Look at T.O. stats with the Cowboys and you will be hard pressed to find a more productive receiver. Its one thing to not like the guy but to tell an out and out lie is just ridiculous

stb_steeler
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Look at T.O. stats with the Cowboys and you will be hard pressed to find a more productive receiver. Its one thing to not like the guy but to tell an out and out lie is just ridiculous

Wasnt TO second leader in receiving the year he was on Dallas?

steeltheone
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Wasnt TO second leader in receiving the year he was on Dallas?

And drops..He Dropped ball after ball that year.

kirklandrules
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Yep, and when TO was with the Cowboys and they came to the 'burgh ... he was a no show and we beat them. He's old, slow and sux ... don't worry about it.

Downbylaw
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
A no show? He caught a TD on Ike in the back of the endzone. T.O. is NOT slow, you guys let your hatred for a guy cloud your vision. lol

mikegrimey
09-07-2010, 11:53 PM
A no show? He caught a TD on Ike in the back of the endzone. T.O. is NOT slow, you guys let your hatred for a guy cloud your vision. lol

You're absoutley correct. It is legit to point out that TO has a drop problem and that when he sours up and starts throwing tantrums his performance diminishes. Hell it's even fair to mention that he may hurt his team by bitching about not getting enough balls thrown his way, but you can't knock the guy for his game. Calling him washed up etc. is just the biased talk of a divional rival. He is a tough receiver and should pose a threat especially if he stays happy all year. Nobody expects him to be as dominant as he was with the eagles or his first year with the Cowboys but he can still play.

urgle burgle
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM

he needs to be accounted for, and he may pose a problem. but remember in that game he made multiple mistakes and was mostly a non-issue. he made that catch(although well played) on Ike, because we couldn't get to Romo, and he had an hour and a half to throw the ball in the red zone. It was (and this hurts me to say this) more of Romo's play and an eventual defensive breakdown. we shall see now that we play him twice this year.

kirklandrules
09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
TO did not present a huge distraction in Buffalo and yet they made very little effort to bring him back. All I'm saying is the Ocho and TO of today are not the passing threat the old Chad, TJ and Henry the Bungles posed for us of years past. I'm less concerned about these two clowns than I was about the old passing attack. And I'm not worried about seeing TJ go to the Ratbirds after being cut by Seattle when the Ratbirds dump Mason. Say what you want about that Mason, but he was a true thorn in our secondary's side. Flaco would lean on him during games like an old one legged hunchback leans on a crutch.

Stinky Fred
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Ben being out might serve to keep the defense off the field. If we are successful "featuring the run", our defense will be on the field less and ready to impact as they are designed to do. When that defense is "on", they can shut anybody down. That comes from pressure that prevents plays.

On a related note, MTs statement that Ben isn't necessarily starting upon his return, coupled with Artie's earlier message to MT "to run" signals that. If our defense is only on the field for 25 minutes or so, we'll have no problems with all those pass attempts.

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 06:35 AM
TO did not present a huge distraction in Buffalo and yet they made very little effort to bring him back. All I'm saying is the Ocho and TO of today are not the passing threat the old Chad, TJ and Henry the Bungles posed for us of years past. I'm less concerned about these two clowns than I was about the old passing attack. And I'm not worried about seeing TJ go to the Ratbirds after being cut by Seattle when the Ratbirds dump Mason. Say what you want about that Mason, but he was a true thorn in our secondary's side. Flaco would lean on him during games like an old one legged hunchback leans on a crutch.

I disagree. T.O, Ocho, Shipley and Gresham (Go Sooners) are a way better tandem