PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin will not guarantee Ben Roethlisberger the starting job

pete74
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
When Ben Roethlisberger(notes) returns from his four-game suspension, he is not guaranteed the starting quarterback job, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says.

"I'm going to dodge that one and not artfully," Tomlin said Tuesday on Sirius NFL Radio. "I'm not going to back myself in corner (regarding whether Roethlisberger will start)."

The NFL originally suspended Roethlisberger for the first six games of the season after the quarterback was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a Georgia nightclub last May. The suspension was cut to four games for good behavior.

Pittsburgh planned to start Byron Leftwich(notes) the first few weeks of the season while Roethlisberger served his suspension, but Leftwich sprained a knee in the Thursday's preseason finale.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Dixon earned the job over Charlie Batch(notes) with his strong play in the preseason. Dixon will likely start the first four games. On Friday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reduced Roethlisberger's suspension to six game from the original six

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm sure all he means is that if Ben isn't ready and is out of football shape for the first game (and Dixon is playing well), he may give him a game to get ready (3 weeks with the bye). That's it. Everyone knows Ben is our QB for the season.

scsteeler
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm sure all he means is that if Ben isn't ready and is out of football shape for the first game (and Dixon is playing well), he may give him a game to get ready (3 weeks with the bye). That's it. Everyone knows Ben is our QB for the season.

Exactly the case.

SteelKnight
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Exactly the case.

Yeah. He has the luxury of having options since it is the Browns at home. If Ben isn't ready, he could always start Dixon with a short leash. If anything looks bad, in goes Ben.

If we were playing the Saints or Patriots in that first game, he'd likely have a different answer. lol

StainlessStill
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Lets not make this a bigger deal than some people might think it is. This is nothing. Tomlin did everything and anything to just side-step the question out of its ridiculous nature. Ben is our QB and would of been our QB if Dixon went 6-0 if Ben got 6. That's all there is to it. Dead discussion.

Need4spd
09-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Where's 'Downbylaw' when you need him to make a bigger deal out of something than it is??!! Of course this question was going to be asked sooner or later. As I and others have stated, it's kind of absurd to suggest that Ben would lose his job to Dennis Dixon or Byron Leftwich. Sorry, but that's just the plain and simple fact of the matter.

Downbylaw
09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Here I am Here I am!!! You guys act like Ben cant be benched due to good play by Dixon. So if we go 4-0 and Dixon has 16 Td and 2 ints and we are blowing out the opponents (like we should. Ben nail biters are an underachievement). Then your saying we go with Ben? I say go with the Hot hand. By that logic Willie Parker should have never been benched for Mendenhall based on his past. I forgot, all logic and sence gets thrown out of the window in regards to Prince Ben. lol

joeyssteelcurtain
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Here I am Here I am!!! You guys act like Ben cant be benched due to good play by Dixon. So if we go 4-0 and Dixon has 16 Td and 2 ints and we are blowing out the opponents (like we should. Ben nail biters are an underachievement). Then your saying we go with Ben? I say go with the Hot hand. By that logic Willie Parker should have never been benched for Mendenhall based on his past. I forgot, all logic and sence gets thrown out of the window in regards to Prince Ben. lol

You are out of your mind and do what with are 100 million dollar Qb ???? Bench him???
Come on man. Ben is are QB and he is not going anywhere.

Downbylaw
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
You are out of your mind and do what with are 100 million dollar Qb ???? Bench him???
Come on man. Ben is are QB and he is not going anywhere.

If we are playing good what does salary have to do with anything? Are you saying guys with big contracts cant be outplayed or benched?

joeyssteelcurtain
09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
If we are playing good what does salary have to do with anything? Are you saying guys with big contracts cant be outplayed or benched?

On Dixon's best day he wont outplay Ben. Do you see Dixon going 90 yards at the end of a game to win it ? Cause I dont.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Basically, yes. And it isn't what WE are saying....

The Rooney's didn't sign him to a $100 million contract to have him sit on the bench....nothing short of a cataclysmic, multiple-game, in-game breakdown is going to cause them to bench Big Ben as long as he is on the roster and being paid $100 million.

Your usual courtoom discourse does not apply here....

steelrush
09-10-2010, 02:06 AM
A coach will mostly like to be on the reasonable/fairness side of the fence when it comes to players. I also believe that the message Tomlin tried to send was that if Dennis has played well by week six he’ll be likely be given the starting spot.
It all comes down to reason, you know… If, by week six we’ll be, say 4-0 or 3-1, will you bench Dennis?
I believe Tomlin will have Ben ready to go in all respects and be ready to monitor any sign of Dennis getting worse (if that will ever happen) as the games unfold and stronger opponents are faced (Miami, New Orleans and Cincinnati – boy, what a trio in a row).
Anyway, the fact remains that, by week 6, we’ll have quite a formidable QB trio! :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
09-11-2010, 04:30 PM
i am glad that tomlin said that he wont guarantee ben his starting job. ben brought this on himself and if dixon is playing well and we are winning then you need to stay with the hot hand. its about time a coach tells king ben, that he cant always get what you want.