PDA

View Full Version : Miller emerges as Steelers' quiet force

mesaSteeler
09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Miller emerges as Steelers' quiet force
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_698346.html

Tight end Heath Miller has been an impact player since joining the Steelers in 2005. The 30th overall pick of the 2005 draft came into his own last season when he established career highs in catches and receiving yards and was selected to his first Pro Bowl. Here is a look at Miller's career:

2005: 16 games, 39 receptions, 459 yards, 11.8 avg, 50-yard long, 6 TDs

2006: 16 games, 34 receptions, 393 yards, 11.6 avg, 87-yard long, 5 TDs

2007: 16 games, 47 receptions, 566 yards, 12.0 avg, 29-yard long, 7 TDs

2008: 14 games, 48 receptions, 514 yards, 10.7 avg, 22-yard long, 3 TDs

2009: 16 games, 76 receptions, 789 yards, 10.4 avg, 41-yard long, 6 TDs
In-depth Steelers

Scott Brown is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Steelers beat writer and can be reached at 412-481-5432 or via e-mail.
Ways to get us

Las Vegas offers, among many things, the chance to make just about any sports-related bet, no matter how outrageous it seems.

One thing Vegas bookmakers will never set odds for, simply because they may not exist: Heath Miller breaking into a celebration jig after scoring a touchdown.

"You have a better chance of the sun dying out before seeing Heath do an end zone dance," Steelers left tackle Max Starks said. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::hatsoff::hatsoff :

Miller has quietly established himself as a premier tight end. And more than a few people in the Steelers' locker room will tell you that there is not a more complete tight end on the planet than Earl Heath Miller.

The last guy who would say that, of course, is Miller himself.

"These guys may be a little biased," Miller recently said of his teammates, "but I don't really play to be labeled as the best tight end in the league. I have areas that I can improve on, and I'm trying to be the best end I can be."

That approach has made Miller one of the most respected Steelers among his teammates. They honored him for it Monday when they elected him as an offensive co-captain, along with wide receiver Hines Ward.

Given his understated nature, Miller's teammates seemed more excited about his captaincy than he did.

That is not to say Miller does not appreciate or cherish one of the ultimate compliments a player can receive from his colleagues. But he is not any more prone to emotion, on or off the field, than he is to flubbed catches or mental mistakes.

Miller is, in fact, so even-keeled that it would be hard to tell if he had just split the atom and brokered Middle East peace. (He attitude reminds me of Jack Ham. - mesa)

Or if he had just lost his starting job and been told he had to sing the national anthem while standing on his head at a Steelers' home game.

"On and off the field, he's just the same guy 24/7," Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said. "He's like a robot almost."

"You have to check his pulse at times to make sure he is still breathing because you think he's a machine," Starks said.

One person who can probably verify this is Miller's wife, Katie.

"She gives my trouble when she sees me fist-pump or something like that," Miller said. "She says, 'Oh, I see you got a little excited out there' because she knows I never really show that much emotion." (Good for Katie! Does she have a sister that Heath can introduce to Ben? - mesa)

Miller shows plenty of other stuff when he is on the field.

The 6-foot-5, 256-pounder has the speed and athleticism to make him a primary target in the passing game. The workmanlike Miller also has the size and strength to block arguably as well as anyone at his position.

"He doesn't drop any balls, he can run like a deer, and he blocks better than any of those other receiving tight ends," Smith said.

Miller has increased his receptions total every year except for one since the Steelers took him late in the first round of the 2005 draft. And the six-year veteran could play an even more prominent role in the passing game this season.

The offseason trade of Santonio Holmes leaves the Steelers with some question marks at wide receiver.

There are none regarding Miller, who gives the Steelers a top receiving threat to work the middle of the field.

As accomplished at football as he is, some of his teammates said Miller could be downright deadly in a different game.

"If you were to play poker with Heath, you would lose every time," Starks said. "You wouldn't know if he is bluffing. He has the best poker face I have ever seen on a human being."

"He definitely should think about (playing poker) after his career," inside linebacker James Farrior said.

Not that he should be thinking about post-football plans anytime soon. Miller doesn't turn 28 until late October, and he only seems to be getting better with age.

"You wish you had 50 guys like him," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "You'd have no problems as a coach." (Hey Airhead Arians, why don't you throw to him more then? - mesa)

SteelMember
09-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Wow. No love for Heeeeeeeeeeath yet.

His 1st probowl last year. Named Captain this year. He's finally getting some props... all deserved.

It's Miller Time! :drink:

kiuaswarrior
09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Good read.

I'd be surprised if he breaks the 80 catch, 800 yard mark this season... but I can foresee an 8-10 TD season in him.

BlackAndGold4Ever
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Good read.

I'd be surprised if he breaks the 80 catch, 800 yard mark this season... but I can foresee an 8-10 TD season in him.

Lets hope so, hes my starting TE in fantasy :chuckle:

Honestly though, Heath is a great TE that is often overlooked. He will be a critical part of the offence especially during the first four games when Dixon or Batch will need to get rid of the ball.

Fire Haley
09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Heath never gets enough love around here.

another article

Steelers Preview 2010: Q&A with Heath Miller
Beaver County Times
Wednesday September 8, 2010

Heath Miller, the Steelers’ first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, set a franchise record last year with 76 catches. That’s the most ever by a Steelers tight end. Miller's performance last season sent him to the Pro Bowl for the first time.

Q: How’s it feel to be a co-captain for the first time?
A:”It’s an honor. It’s voted upon by your teammates, so that’s what makes it special. So I take a lot of pride in that. I take it as the highest compliment from my teammates.”

Q: For a guy who isn’t very vocal, are you surprised that your teammates want you to be a co-captain? Does that honor speak more of your actions on the field than the words you might speak?
A: “It has to, I guess, because I didn’t talk my way into it. And yeah, I am a little surprised because I really wasn’t expecting it. But I’ll be the same guy I’ve always been. I’ll go about my business and lead by example. We have leaders on this team who are more vocal and if something needs to be said, odds are they will probably do the saying. I’ll pretty much stay the course. But like I said, I’ll be very proud of it.”

Q: The Steelers regard you as one of the NFL’s most complete tight ends. Ben Roethlisberger even said he believes you could end up with 100 catches this year. What do you expect out of yourself this season?
A:”Personally, I just want to be the best player I can be and help the team do whatever they ask me to do. The bottom line is getting wins on the field. Everything comes along with it. So I really don’t focus on individual goals.”

Q: What did you think when you heard that Roethlisberger said you might catch 100 passes?
A:”The way I look at it, if you get opportunities, you just have to make the most of them. But like I said, I’m not really focusing on individual goals. I just want to do whatever I can to help this team get back to the Super Bowl.”

Q: Last year, you signed a six-year contract extension that will keep you a Steeler through the 2014 season. What did that mean to you and do you think you’ll play your entire pro career in Pittsburgh?
A: “I hope so. I can’t think of a better city to play football than Pittsburgh. It's a great organization with a great coach and there are great men in this locker room. For me, it couldn't be a better situation."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/september/08/steelers-preview-2010-qa-with-heath-miller.html

Busforever
09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
I always said and thought that Heath Miller is the best TE in the NFL, because no one else brings all his skills on the table. Tremendous blocker, tremendous receiver. Some TE are better catching TE, but they limit their team because of a lack of blocking ability. With Heath, you can do what you want as a OC.

urgle burgle
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
as they say in baseball....Heath is a "five tool" player.

StainlessStill
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Say it with me... say it with me:

"HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!"

Me and my girl will be together for 5 years Sept. 13th. Her favorite player is Heath and always smirks and smiles whenever he catches the football. I picked up on it and asked her who her favorite player was. She didn't even hesitate she says "HEATH!" Cutest damn thing because it's usually the usual with women (their faves are always Troy, Ben, or Hines..looks like she appreciates the crafts of a steamrolling tight end as well. BROWNIE POINTS.)

So I went out today and bought her her very own home Heath Miller jersey for this Sunday as a gift. She'll be fired up, haha.

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaath. I always argue with my brother (Cowboy fan). He say Whitten is better etc. I bring up the fact that Heath, can block, has better hands and would kick his *ss in a fist fight.

HEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH

Steelerfreak58
09-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Most underutilized weapon on offense. He is the best all around TE in the league hands down.

Ruffneck525
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
heath is an absolute beast. great blocker and solid catching the ball. the guy is a beast on the field.