PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Bronze- Jack Ham

tony hipchest
09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
mesa should like this. link just posted on twitter-

ProFootballHOF Jack Ham is a man of many interests. Learn more about him in our new web series BEHIND THE BRONZE. http://tinyurl.com/25545cd

Two-hundred-sixty bronze busts reside in the Hall of Fame Gallery inside the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. They "immortalize" the greatest players, coaches, and contributors that this game has produced.

Jack Ham

Linebacker Jack Ham was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round in 1971. He earned a starting position as a rookie, named All-AFC or All-Pro seven straight years and was voted to eight consecutive Pro Bowls. His 32 career interceptions rank him tied for first among all Hall of Fame linebackers. He was enshrined into the Hall of Fame in 1988.

Hobbies: I guess one of my hobbies is I have to actually work for a living, number one. I'm in the energy business. No. 2, my wife and I both really enjoy live theater. We go to theater in the Pittsburgh area, we love going to New York. So, anytime you can get live theater for me, that's my first love.

Last Book You Read: Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence by Peter Mayle.

Favorite Music: I enjoy the three tenors – Josť Carreras, Placido Domingo, and Luciano Pavarotti

Favorite Food: Pasta. My favorite is pali fino, a green noodle along with white noodle, with prosciutto and peas and a very, very light on the cream.

Favorite Current NFL Player: It's got to be Tom Brady because of his professionalism and how he goes about his business running that offensive football team. He's a true professional.

Favorite Athlete in another sport: Tiger Woods. Let's not go into all the other stuff. But, the way (up until this year) he's been able to each week dominate that sport.

Favorite NFL Team as a Child: San Diego Chargers. I used to watch the old AFL games and loved the wide-open AFL.

Favorite NFL Stadium (other than Three Rivers): I loved playing in Oakland. People would throw stuff at you and you had to go underneath that tunnel to go back into the locker room. We knew we had a hell of a challenge in front of us playing the Raiders out there during that period time.

One Person Who Influenced You Most: Joe Paterno. Because when you're 18 or 19 years old you could go in a lot of directions. He got me grounded early in my college career, as a student number one, and a football player, number two.

Did you have any pre-game rituals/superstitions? I really didn't. Well, there was one. Terry Bradshaw would always throw me a pass first when we got out there on the field in pregame warm-ups. He'd help me with my hands because he'd drill that ball at me so hard so any other quarterback when I was trying to intercept a pass wasn't as bad. But, it was really more of a tradition than a superstition.

see link to the official HOF site for the rest...

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the link

In terms of who was the best at playing his position on those 70s teams, I thought #59 was clearly the preeminent OLB of his pre-LT era.

Both videos that can be linked through the article are interesting.- In the first video Ham reiterates what every 70s Steeler I have ever heard say - the most memorable game for that team was not any of the Super Bowls but defeating Oakland in the 1974 AFC championship. The second video is a shocker only because Ham's hair and beard have gone to snow white :jawdrop: Another way to make me feel old:chuckle: