PDA

View Full Version : Running out of things to bitch about? Pete Prisco's NFL Power Rankings

Fire Haley
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Week 1

1 Colts - Don't get caught up in their preseason showing. It never matters with this team. They are the best team heading into the season, no matter what they showed the past month.

2 Cowboys - Their offensive line has injury issues, but there is too much talent on this roster to rank them lower. Getting back 20 of 22 starters means something. Wade Phillips is likely coaching for his job again.

3 Falcons -Are they higher than most will rank them? Probably so, but this is a talented team with a quarterback ready to take the next step. Those types of teams usually make big jumps.

4 Saints - They will again have an explosive offense. I worry about the defense duplicating what it did last season. It will be hard to get 39 takeaways again.

5 Chargers -They will have an easy time in their division. The tough part for Norv Turner is turning talent into a title.

6 Packers -They are the trendy Super Bowl pick. I love Aaron Rodgers, and he just might be the MVP. But I think they're a year away from winning it all.

7 Patriots -Too high? Not with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. The defense has concerns, but they will score a ton.

8 Bengals -They've added some nice pieces to an offense that needed it. Carson Palmer bounces back in a big way. The defense will be suffocating.

9 Vikings -Yes, they have their gunslinger back in Brett Favre. But they've lost a lot around him because of injuries. If they can handle things until they get truly healthy, they'll be around playoff time. That is, if Favre holds up.

10 Ravens -This is Joe Flacco's team now. And he has weapons. That should translate to more points. They might need them. The corner situation on defense isn't good, and Ed Reed isn't around to save them

11 Giants - Don't forget the Giants were 5-0 to open the 2009 season. There is talent on this roster. The key will be how improved defensive coordinator Perry Fewell can make his unit

12 Jets - Here's what I have to say to all those out there putting the Jets in the Super Bowl: %*$@#. That's Ryan-speak for, "You're nuts."

13 Eagles - It's all about Kevin Kolb. If he can show the Eagles made the right move to jettison Donovan McNabb, the Eagles will be in the playoffs. If not, Andy Reid will be open to a Philadelphia-style rip job. And he's a big target

14 Steelers - Four games with Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch at quarterback would scare the heck out of me if I were the coach. Then there's the four-game layoff for Ben Roethlisberger. How will that hurt him? That's a lot to overcome.

15 Dolphins - They are better than a year ago, but how much better? Chad Henne didn't wow people in the preseason. He has to be better if the Dolphins are to make the playoffs and validate the Tuna making all that money.

more

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13897416/nfl-power-rankings-start-of-a-silverblack-revival

STEELAMANIA
09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
This is good comedy.

SteelMember
09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
There's plenty of "if's and but's" in there... too bad it's not christmas.

tony hipchest
09-08-2010, 01:52 PM
pete prisco writes for grade schoolers.

Indo
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
pete prisco IS a grade schooler

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Prisco ranking the Steelers at 14 makes him an optimist

ESPN has the Black & Gold at 18

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=1

As does Don Banks at Sports Illustrated

I was fairly certain the Steelers were going to weather their Roethlisberger-less first month of the season in decent 2-2 shape, but now I'm thinking that might have been optimistic. I do believe the more mobile and athletic Dennis Dixon was the right call over Charlie Batch at QB, but if Pittsburgh hits its Week 5 bye at 1-3, I'm not going to be all that surprised.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/08/week.1.2/index.html

The consensus on sports talk radio in Atlanta is that the only question is what the margin of victory for the Falcons will be as Dixon is getting trashed

Either a lot of sportswriters are missing the boat or by around 4 pm on Sunday a lot of us are going to start realizing it will be a tough time at least until the first Cleveland game comes around

Fire Haley
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
It's all about Ben, can you blame them?

LVSteelersfan
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I think a lot of sportswriters are going to be wrong and Atlanta fans will rue the fact that the prognosticators are ranking them so high when Matt Ryan gets rocked around Heinz Field on Sunday. The Steelers D is going to be taking this personally especially the part where Vegas is calling them a home dog. They are never a home dog and they will not lose this game. Harrison, Woodley and Timmons are going to have a lot to say about that.

The Lakelander
09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Neither Matt Ryan nor Mike Smith have seen an AFC North defense yet.

Neither Matt Ryan nor Mike Smith have seen a Dick LeBeau Zone Blitz yet.

The Falcons are a paltry 6-10 on the road under Matt Ryan.

They Falcons have nevr won a football game in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers have ranked #3 or better for three straight seasons at stopping the run.

And yet Atlanta is a 2.5 point favorite at Heinz Field on Sunday?

What gives?

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
What gives?

The Falcons are a trendy pick to make the playoffs even outside of Atlanta (the adulation for Matt Ryan escapes me but it is there) and if those sorts of teams have a good year it often involves a road win against a traditional power early in the season - so if the Falcons are going to have a good year it is assumed this is a game they should win

But I think what gives is that the Steelers national TV preseason game against Denver featured Dixon wetting the bed in the second quarter - the assumption is that is what is coming on Sunday

scsteeler
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I would not have it any other way gives us something to work Towards. If you are ranked number 1 you can only go down.

:tt04::tt04:

Steelerfreak58
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Sunday can't get here fast enough.

ricardisimo
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I see he still has a woody for Bungholes.

Fire Haley
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I see he still has a woody for Bungholes.

Who...Pete the Prick?

yah...always.........this is what I say...

"Get Ben back - - - blow the doors off all the competition.

Win the division.

These are your goals, men....get crackin'"

yea verily

I hath spoken

jjpro11
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
these low rankings are based solely because we won't have Ben for 4 games and we let go of Holmes.

none of these "experts" are capable of looking past these facts and realizing our entire historic 2008 defense is together again, and fully healthy. the same defense that carried the team time and time again while the offense was anemic.

the experts also don't seem to realize we didn't lose a game by more than 7 points last season.. we weren't a "bad" team last year.. we were an inconsistent team. now if teams want to come back against us in the 4th quarter, they are going to have to do it against Troy Polamalu, Bryant McFadden, and Aaron Smith... not Tyrone Carter, William Gay, and Nick Eason.

also, our oline is probably better than it's been in about 3 or 4 years.. losing Colon will hurt in pass protection, but Pouncey should provide a significant upgrade to Hartwig, who was one of the worst centers in the game.

Holmes was a great player for us, but Wallace is a f'ing stud. i also believe we drafted 2 good rookies who will both be contributing by the end of the season. ARE won't provide the "shock" factor Wallace brought to the slot position last year, but he will be reliable and get the job done.

if there is any positive you can take from the Ben suspension, it's that he will be fresher than ever for the remaining 12 games of the season and hopefully beyond. that's 4 less games from the usual abuse he takes. if we can start out 2-2, i think we will be be able to finish the season strong and make the playoffs.

StainlessStill
09-09-2010, 04:17 AM
I take all of these power rankings with a grain of salt. OF COURSE no "expert" has the balls to rank the Steelers high. It's just not in the cards for us right now. But hey, overlook us, we dare you.

We haven't missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons since the '99'-'00 seasons. You don't think we're p!ssed off to prove that last season was a damn fluke?

It's time to get pissed now, ladies and gentleman.

pancake
09-09-2010, 04:23 AM
I love the title of this thread killer... :applaudit: :toofunny: :rofl:

MasterOfPuppets
09-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Who...Pete the Prick?

yah...always.........this is what I say...

"Get Ben back - - - blow the doors off all the competition.

Win the division.

These are your goals, men....get crackin'"

yea verily

I hath spoken

are you proposing....(gulp)... unleashing hell ?:nervous: