PDA

View Full Version : Turner to test Steelers' run defense

mesaSteeler
09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/08/turner-to-test-steelers-run-defense/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Turner to test Steelers' run defense
September 8th, 2010

Don’t expect the Falcons to air it out Sunday at Heinz Field, and not just because Atlanta coach Mike Smith subscribes to the philosophy that success is directly proportional to a team’s ability to run the ball and stop the run. (To bad we can't hire Mike Smith as our OC, - mesa)

Falcons running back Michael Turner appears poised to return to his 2008 form when he rushed for 1,699 yards and a team-record 17 touchdowns in his first season as an NFL starter.

A high ankle sprain limited Turner to 11 games and 871 rushing yards last season but Smith said the 5-10, 244-pounder is both healthy and hungry.

“He looks leaner. He is lighter than what he started the season at last year. He has worked extremely hard during the offseason, been in the building basically almost every day,” Smith said Wednesday during a conference call. “I know Michael is such a passionate guy about playing the game. He doesn’t want to be known as a guy that was a one-year flash.”

Turner rushed for the second most yards in an NFL season opener two years ago when he gashed the Lions for 220 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Yards won’t come nearly as easily against the Steelers, who are going to force third-year quarterback Matt Ryan to beat them.

But a rejuvenated Turner versus a proud defense that will play a little angry after giving up five fourth quarter leads last season may be the best game within the game Sunday.

fer522
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
who cares what his done

Fire Arians
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
im sure he'll see a lot of aaron smith in his face

mikegrimey
09-08-2010, 07:43 PM
They will have to at least try and stick with the run unless we manage to start blowing them out. Should be a good matchup but I think we'll win the battle against their running game, we've stopped better attacks than Turner before.

steeltheone
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Im not worried about the run.

Steel_Bus_24
09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
anyone getting sick of that stupid fantasy commercial with the guy pestering the other guy about how great Turner was in week 1

BlockMonsta
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
You guys dont give Turner much credit at all. He is a very good back, just hope he has a bad day against us. Not to mention Ryan is a damn good qb aswell..

Fire Haley
09-08-2010, 09:24 PM
We'll see if all those extra cheezeburgers makes Timmons stouter at the LOS.

He still runs like a deer.

Shea
09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
im sure he'll see a lot of aaron smith in his face

Yep, the ultimate run stuffer.

Love Aaron, just pray he has an injury free season.

MikeHaullace
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I am confident Turner is going to have a great year.

I am not so confident it will begin in Week 1.

Personally, I expect no more than 80 yards and 1 TD. Certainly a good game, but not great. Remember, folks: Our house. Our field. Our D.

Arizona should be more worried about Turner than Pittsburgh.

Is it Sunday yet? :tt03:

StainlessStill
09-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Go ahead and turn over the fossil the last time the Steelers let a 100 yard rusher. It's a rarity and I don't think Atlanta will have too much success on the ground since our defense is called to stop the run first at all costs. Everyone forgets that our run defense is as stout as any run defense could be.

Plus, Turner is an through the tackles type guy, right into the teeth of our strength. The only thing that he could get us with is his shiftyness for being a small guy that can pound it. He may find a few holes here and there, but no way he goes above 65.:helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
09-09-2010, 03:19 AM
Go ahead and turn over the fossil the last time the Steelers let a 100 yard rusher. It's a rarity and I don't think Atlanta will have too much success on the ground since our defense is called to stop the run first at all costs. Everyone forgets that our run defense is as stout as any run defense could be.

Plus, Turner is an through the tackles type guy, right into the teeth of our strength. The only thing that he could get us with is his shiftyness for being a small guy that can pound it. He may find a few holes here and there, but no way he goes above 65.:helmet:
week 16 of last year ray rice hung hung a buck 41 on em ....:noidea:

http://www.nfl.com/players/rayrice/gamelogs?id=RIC154451&season=2009

BlockMonsta
09-09-2010, 03:19 AM

Um the Steelers gave up 147yds in week 16 last season...Turner is not a small back.

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Good Luck with that. I would rather them try to run on us than the try to pass. The passing part makes me nervous.

StainlessStill
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Um the Steelers gave up 147yds in week 16 last season...Turner is not a small back.

My point:

Week 1: Tennessee Titans
Chris Johnson 15 carries, 57 yards
Lendale White 8 carries, 28 yards

Week 2: Chicago Bears
Matt Forte 13 carries 29 yards
A. Peterson 3 carries 16 yards

Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals
Cedric Benson 16 carries, 76 yards
Crocker 1 carry, 26 yards

Week 4: San Diego Chargers
LT 7 carries, 15 yards

Week 5: Detroit Lions
Kevin Smith 20 carries, 53 yards.

Week 6. Cleveland Browns
Josh Cribbs 6 carries, 45 yards
Harrison 5 carries, 26 yards

Week 7: Minnesota Vikings
Adrian Peterson 18 carries, 69 yards
Chester Taylor 3 carries, 14 yards

Week 8: BYE

Week 9: Denver Broncos
Buckhalter 9 carries, 24 yards

Week 10: Cincinnati Bengals
Bart Scott 13 carries, 33 yards
Benson 7 carries, 22 yards

Week 11: KC Chiefs
Charles 17 carries, 58 yards

Week 12: Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice 14 carries, 88 yards

Week 13: Oakland Raiders
Fargas 15 carries, 63 yards

Week 14: Cleveland Browns
Cribbs 8 carries, 87 yards

Week 15: Green Bay Packers
Ryan Grant 8 carries 37 yards

Week 16: Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice 30 carries, 141 yards

Week 17: Miami Dolphins
Ricky Williams 12 carries, 31 yards

The point as I was trying to make, is that any feature back that has EVER competed against us (and over the years we've faced the best backs in the league weekly) is that we RARELY, if EVER give up a 100 yard day on the ground for a feature back.

I'm aware of Rice's yardage Week 16 and knew we gave up one last season going over my head, but 1 game out of 16? I'll take it. The Steelers NEVER give up running lanes and it's our #1 priority. Always was, always will be. You can't be a successful defense if you can't stop the run, period. We are the best at it from an overall standpoint over the years.

Again, turn over the Fossil's and see the tracks in them that our run D ever gives up. THERE'S NOT MANY TRACINGS.

As far as Michael Turner, the dude is 5 foot 10. I said he's a small guy that could pound the ball between the tackles. He's low in stature, could slip through the line given his height but still had the power with his low center of gravity.

BlockMonsta
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
5'10 244lbs=not small

StainlessStill
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
5'10 244lbs=not small

.. it is running behind guys that are 6'5-6'7, 320 pounds. I'm not saying small as in bulk, the dude is obviously built like a tank. Small is the Wes Welkers, Stefan Logan's of the league. He's a small as in a short reference. A guy that can sneak through cracks given his 5'10 stature.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Good Luck with that. I would rather them try to run on us than the try to pass. The passing part makes me nervous.

Why? The mediocre pass defense is Big Ben and Bruce Arians' fault, right? Don't you remember? You just spent like 6 pages arguing with someone about this in another thread......now you come on this thread and post the exact opposite of what you were arguing elsewhere. IN the 2009 offense vs defense thread, you just got done beating the dead horse into red pulp, that it is all the offense's fault we ranked #16 against the pass last year.....

I am seeing a pattern-- you just like to argue with folks, just for the sake of disagreeing with them. You come off like a courtoom lawyer, or an aspiring one that is trying to brush up on his public lying skills.

I don't know if it is your ego, or your intellect, that is the problem, but one definitely exists....

mikegrimey
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't even bother with the guy Riddle, his intellect is only marginal at best and he runs away from anyone that ever proves him wrong. He seems to love picking on the people that are a bit slower than him but when someone (like yours truly) gives him a spanking up and down a thread he ends up cowering and running away.

He's only interested in drawing simpletons out to debate him and then running around with circular and conflicting logic that would result in an endless argumentless debate if anyone bothered to follow through. He postures a lot about rationality and logic but never uses it. His main aim is to just piss people off. Once in a while he will post an accurate post or argument, but that's just the result of throwing darts with a blindfold on, every once in a while an argument will stick but it's only by luck.

When he's really backed into a corner he becomes sentimental and spouts cliches.

He's pretty much an egoist coward that hates admitting he's wrong. I wonder that you brought up his phony lawyer posturing, because when proven wrong his arguments often do fly into nonsequitors and meanignless nonsense, much like a lawyers.

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Why? The mediocre pass defense is Big Ben and Bruce Arians' fault, right? Don't you remember? You just spent like 6 pages arguing with someone about this in another thread......now you come on this thread and post the exact opposite of what you were arguing elsewhere. IN the 2009 offense vs defense thread, you just got done beating the dead horse into red pulp, that it is all the offense's fault we ranked #16 against the pass last year.....

I am seeing a pattern-- you just like to argue with folks, just for the sake of disagreeing with them. You come off like a courtoom lawyer, or an aspiring one that is trying to brush up on his public lying skills.

I don't know if it is your ego, or your intellect, that is the problem, but one definitely exists....

I am seeing a pattern you have no reading comprehension. SHOW ME where I said our Dbs are good. In what thread did I argue that our DBs were a strength. I think I debated about our DEFENSE. I bet you feel like a single digit midget right about now dont you? You come off as Mrs Kravits who lives next door to Darren and Samantha Stevens (Bewitched) and your always in everyones business. Dont forget to show me what I posted sir.

ABNER!!! ABNER!! ABNER!!!

Downbylaw
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Comparing me to a lawyer is a backhanded compliment. He is saying I'm a good debator. Thank you for the compliement...... I think.......:banging: