PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich eyes quick recovery

mesaSteeler
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Leftwich eyes quick recovery
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 9, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_698548.html

Mark Kaboly is the McKeesport Daily News sports editor and can be reached at 412-664-9161 or via via e-mail.

Byron Leftwich is still holding out hope that he will be the Steelers starting quarterback this week.

Despite spraining his left knee in the preseason finale against Carolina last week an injury expected to keep him out of the lineup for 2-4 weeks Leftwich isn't giving up the possibility of playing Sunday when the Steelers open the season at Heinz Field against Atlanta.

Well, sort of.

"(The injury) wasn't a disappointment because it was the last preseason game, it was a disappointment because there is a chance that I might miss this one," Leftwich said. "You see how I left myself a chance."

Leftwich was sporting a sizable grin when he said there is still a chance he will play against the Falcons, because the reality of the situation is that Leftwich would need a minor miracle to occur for him to suit up.

Leftwich was still limping around the Steelers' practice facility yesterday, watching as the team went through its first day of preparations for Sunday's opener.

Leftwich doesn't know when he will be back but is hopeful it will be closer to two weeks than four.

"Hopefully, I have a few more Willis Reed moments left in me," Leftwich said. "I could rush these things. I won't go out there unless I am healthy enough to play. Hopefully, I can speed this process giving myself a timetable, I won't do that right now.