PDA

View Full Version : Cowher.....Don't Panic

DIESELMAN
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Everyone is talking free agents,who to pick in the draft who do we keep,who do we let go...what about Bill Cowher? his contract got extended in 2003 and is coming up in 2007...here are some thoughts.....don't have a heart attack or anything just keep this in the back of your heads....hes been the man since 1992....he finally got the Rooney's their Lombardi..does he want to go out on top or stay and build a dynasty?.....:helmet:

Cowher is looking to get out of Pittsburgh, at least as a resident. Cowher and his wife Kaye secured a million dollar home in Raleigh, NC, following the thousands of economic refugees who left Western Pennsylvania over the past few decades for sunnier climes.

During the long stretch of Cowher's tenure as head coach of the Steelers, which started in 1992, many critiques referred to his ability to shine during the regular season but flop in the playoffs. After failing to win the AFC Championship, again, after the 2001 season, Steelers fans began thinking about life without Cowher.

Despite those shortcomings and a dismal regular season in 2003, the team ownership extended Cowher through the 2007 season. This coincides with his youngest daughter's, Lindsay, junior year at Fox Chapel. Bill Cowher, a fixture at Fox Chapel girls basketball games, wouldn't miss her senior year, making a move anywhere else unlikely.

A one-year extension to Cowher's current deal would be conspicuous, to say the least. But Cowher could simply retire from the NFL and take a year off to reflect on his future occupation.

Consider Cowher's coaching career complete, at least at the professional level. He made noise before and after the Super Bowl victory over the Seattle Seahawks about making good on his promise to the Rooneys when they hired him to bring another championship to Pittsburgh. Mission accomplished.

Cowher could retire now and end up in the Hall of Fame. Anything above and beyond the 2006 season is gravy. Purchasing a home in Raleigh at this stage of his career (they already own a summer home off the coast of North Carolina) only reinforces this sense of closure.

The Cowhers can return to the place where they met, North Carolina State University. Current college football head coach, Chuck Amato, is often mentioned as a replacement for Joe Paterno (Penn State) or Bobby Bowden (Florida State), when those two giants retire. Bigger things await Amato than Wolfpack football.

While Steelers fans are dreaming of the beginning of another dynasty, it appears Bill Cowher is busy setting the stage to follow Jerome Bettis off into the sunset.

By Jim Russell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Feb 28, 2006

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Since coaches, unlike players, usually live in the city where they coach during the offseason, this is an interesting development. Can't see Cowher in a one bedroom apartment on the North Side during the season while his wife stays home in Raleigh. If he was buying a bigger beach house someplace like Top Sail Island that would be one thing, but Raleigh isn't exactly a fun in the sun vacation spot.

Can't say I see the implication in the story that Cowher may coach a second tier football program in the ACC. Having gone to school in that area and having family in RDU, State isn't even regarded as the top ACC athletic department in its metropolitan area.

Bill Walsh coached Stanford a couple years after he left the 49ers and Joe Gibbs went off to be a NASCAR owner, but successful NFL coaches typically stay where they are since NFL head coaches are the top of the food chain both in terms of prestige and $$$. Walsh had a bellyful of recruiting and Cowher might also find out that is no fun.

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I think the guy is reading too much into it.

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
The part I don't get is why buy the house now since I assume Cowher is coming back next season and will not be pulling his daughters out of Fox Chapel.

Whenever Cowher does decide to leave there will be plenty of McMansions for sale in North Raleigh.

Can't see it simply as a contract renegotiation ploy.

Another example of the Internet's ability to keep things churning in the offseason.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
well i believe cowher has a home in pittsburgh as a head coach as long as he wants.

DIESELMAN
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
well i believe cowher has a home in pittsburgh as a head coach as long as he wants.

I agree.......just thought I'd mention the fact that his contract is up next year.....

TasmanianTroy271
02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Can you blame the guy for wanting to leave? I mean, he has been head coach for 14 years, and now that his kids have all graduated, I'm sure he'll want to take a few years off. I don't/won't blame him at all if he goes, but I'm sure he won't be done with football. He's still a young guy, and I'm sure he'll be back in football in one way or another...

OX1947
03-01-2006, 02:25 AM
This is the biggest bunch of horse crap I have ever read and the fact that most of you have replied and not said the same thing makes it an even more crapping story. Cowher will retire in 20 years if he stays healthy. This is a dream job and all those losses in the AFC championship games clouded alot of brains. Cowher isnt Marty or Chuck knox. He made Neil O'donnell and Kordell Stewart a household names and nearly won with those two chumps. What the hell did those morons become after they left Pitt, ZERO. All that and losing pro bowl players year after year after year. On top of it all, some people forget to realize that once donahoe left and cowher had a little more say in the personal, our drafts are second to none in the league. Just look at the drafting since 2000 and you'll see.

In this day and age, players and coaches are ultimatly judged by the ring. Its not fair but I get it. Now that Cowher won his ring, it will put it in stone for good. Taking a team to 6 conference championships in 14 years of work is a DAMN good and nearly impossible task.

Ambridge
03-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Winning the Superbowl after 14 years along with all of the other accomplishments Cowher has achieved I think he has earned the right to step away from the game whenever and however he pleases.

When Bill Cowher does leave Pittsburgh it will be a sad day indeed and a lot of people are going to realize just how much he was taken for granted for a lot of years.
It's amazing how winning the Superbowl has revised the history of Bill Cowher's coaching career. It's all he needed to vindicate his 14 years.
Like the old cliche goes....."You don't know what you had until it's gone".

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were to step down within the next few seasons and enjoy life away from football for a while.
I could see him retiring for a few years and if the situation was right in Carolina that Bill Cowher would be the head coach of the Panthers some time in the future.

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2006, 08:23 AM
It definitely sounds like the Cowher family is moving:

Kaye Cowher said her youngest daughter Lindsay, a freshman at Fox Chapel High, is scheduled to visit Cary Academy, a private school near Raleigh, today and Thursday.

However, with regard to how that impacts the Steelers:

Steelers coach Bill Cowher has purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., that might one day become a retirement home.

Just not yet, according to his wife, Kaye.

"No," she said Tuesday, when asked if her Super Bowl-winning husband was preparing to retire this offseason.

Although those who remember the stormy late 1990s recall that Cowher's personal life became the subject of speculation, my only interest in this move is how it impacts the Steelers.

Cowher is from Pittsburgh but for whatever reason it sounds like his wife and he have made a decision to move back to her roots - maybe he is tired of the year round celebrity that goes with living in Pittsburgh as coach of the Steelers.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_428685.html

If Cowher does move to Raleigh, the P-G says no NFL HC will live further from his place of employment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06060/662771.stm

PisnNapalm
03-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I would be very sad, depressed, bummed out, etc... if Cowher left the Steelers. I can't think of a better match than Bill Cowher and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Even during that stretch of losing seasons I never questioned him as a coach. I can say that honestly.

I can also see that it's a very stressful and time consuming job. I dunno waht to amke of it right now.

benberger
03-01-2006, 10:05 AM
im concerned about cowhers passion for the game....is it still there?? id certainly understand if it wasnt.....if its not, it might be best that he move on.

melroseplace
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
it will be a sad day in Pittsburgh when Cowher leaves us..I hope it's not any time soon but for personal reasons I would understand

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
im concerned about cowhers passion for the game....is it still there?? id certainly understand if it wasnt.....if its not, it might be best that he move on.

yeah, im kinda concerned about jenna jamesons passion for sex, and the rolling stones passion for preforming and writing music :rolleyes:

TexaSteeler
03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
To believe a head coach can get the QB of his dreams and plan to leave soon after is ridiculous.

I'll eat this post if it's true.

rowedf
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
yeah, im kinda concerned about jenna jamesons passion for sex, and the rolling stones passion for preforming and writing music :rolleyes:

LOL thank you, your way was a lot nicer for what I was going to reply :cool:

SteelerDan43
03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Cowher has now earned the right to decide about his future, he can coach for another decade or ride off into the sunset. I see him staying a minimum of one more year. His younger daughter would be out of HS, he could then do what he wanted. He is a hall of famer, the second best coach in Steeler history so he has earned it to continue on ala Chuck Noll or bow out ala Joe Gibbs

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
To believe a head coach can get the QB of his dreams and plan to leave soon after is ridiculous.

I'll eat this post if it's true.

Who knows what's up - he is set for life financially. Given how much the season ending losses presumably busted him up, he may have at some point decided if he ever won it all he would have achieved his professional goals and would move on when his existing contract expired.

Gibbs, Madden and Walsh have all said about 10 years is the outer limit of how long you can keep your edge as a HC. We are fortunate to have gotten 15 seasons (and hopefully at least 2 more) from Cowher.

Moving out of Pittsburgh would make it easier to cut the cord.

benberger
03-01-2006, 12:00 PM

yeah, obviously youve lost your passion for making intellegent remarks....maybe you should move on.

SteelerDan43
03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah, obviously youve lost your passion for making intellegent remarks....maybe you should move on.

Dude chill out

TexaSteeler
03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Who knows what's up - he is set for life financially. Given how much the season ending losses presumably busted him up, he may have at some point decided if he ever won it all he would have achieved his professional goals and would move on when his existing contract expired.

Gibbs, Madden and Walsh have all said about 10 years is the outer limit of how long you can keep your edge as a HC. We are fortunate to have gotten 15 seasons (and hopefully at least 2 more) from Cowher.

Moving out of Pittsburgh would make it easier to cut the cord.

Some people buy retirement homes about five years out from retirement. I certianly think the end is within five years.

HburgXL06
03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
If you think Cowher has lost his passion for the game then you obviously have never seen him on the sidelines during a game. He is by far the most imposing coach in the NFL. What other coach commands such respect and obedience from his players. Mike Tice is supposed to be this huge imposing guy but he couldn't keep the vikings in check. It takes a rare and strong man to be able to control and command so many powerful, talented, and sometimes bigheaded people. Cowher is smart in how he knows how to balance his passion/anger in a game to being supportive/pious/encouraging with the players in the locker room.

A good idea for Cowher's retirement hobby: open a camp for juvenile delinquents. By the time they graduate from his camp the army will be hiring them for special ops. If any man could take nothing and turn it into the best....Cowher can.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm not reading too much into this. I think Cowher bought the house because he plans on retiring to that house after his career as the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers is done and over with. I don't think that's any time in the near future.

Livinginthe past
03-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I was always under the impression that sports coaches, especially succesful ones, had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from management.

Again, who knows what is going on inside Cowhers head, but id be surprised if he was able to just walk away from something which has been such an integral part of his life for 14 years.

I'd imagine success can be quite addictive aswell - there are real legends to be forged in the salary cap era (lets hope we still have one in 4/5 years time) - Cowher has a nice coaching set-up, loyal fans and a very supportive Team owner - he has a good chance of becoming one.

NM

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah, obviously youve lost your passion for making intellegent remarks....maybe you should move on. well if you want intelligence, step into my offiece lie on the couch and beginning telling me what it is about cowhers passion that has you so concerned. if we dont get to the bottom of this within one hour im sure we can schedule a follow up appointment for next week.

but really....lighten up. or atleast cite some reasons of why you think cowher is losing passion cause i dont think the rest of steelerfans see it. if you think a real estate investment now at 2.5 mil as opposed to 10 mil 5-10 years down the road is a sign of a loss of passion and not simply a sound business decision please state so.

drizze99
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I think this will be Cowher's last season as the head coach of the Steelers. I really think that when his youngest daughter graduates, he is out.

blackngoldbaby
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
so u guys r sayin that coach cower is leavin the steelers omg if thats true..... i dunno i cant see him leavin though HE CANT LEAVE! HES THE HEART OF THE STEELERS!

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I think this will be Cowher's last season as the head coach of the Steelers. I really think that when his youngest daughter graduates, he is out.

I believe his youngest daughter graduates high school in 2008; she is the one interviewing at a private school in Raleigh this week.

If she moves to NC this summer hard to see why her graduation 2 years later would be a crucial date.

I am randomly speculating Cowher may say no extension beyond the current contract, allow the Rooneys to line up an in-house heir apparent (Grimm or Whisenhunt?), and then announce that either 2006 or 2007 is it.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Bill isnt going anywhere people.. He'd be crazy too. Many players and coaches dont reside in the city of their teams year around. Its nothing to fret over, he'll be around..I'd bet money on it. But right now w/ the way league and cap is, he knows we need to concentrate on players right now.

Suitanim
03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
If Cowher retired, he'd need to immediately take up a new hobby...and a rough one...like boxing.

He's not going anywhere...

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I agree Cowher probably has no interest in coaching for anyone other than the Steelers, but assume he has a life outside of football and that his wife is not planning to file for divorce.

If anyone else caught the Steve Sabol NFL Network interview with Cowher & his family he appeared to be a very devoted Dad.

With his second daughter graduating from high school this year, his youngest daughter, a ninth grader, will be home full time for only 3 more years.

If the Cowhers move to Raleigh this summer, his youngest daughter (who is interviewing at a private school in suburban Raleigh today, presumably not for admission in 2 years) will be spending football season in North Carolina. If his daughter will be spending that time in Raleigh then his wife will be spending that time in Raleigh.

Take off your Steeler hats and think about being a husband and/or father. If you were financially set for life and had reached the peak of your profession, would you want to spend the next three years of your life working and living in one city while your family was 500 miles away during the period from training camp until the season ends?

SteelerzGirl
03-01-2006, 06:52 PM
maybe he bought the house for his daughter..........:hunch:

That's what I'm thinking, thus, she is a "resident" when she attends school in Raleigh. I truly don't think Coach Cowher has any immediate plans to leave our beloved Steelers.

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I agree Cowher probably has no interest in coaching for anyone other than the Steelers, but assume he has a life outside of football and that his wife is not planning to file for divorce.

If anyone else caught the Steve Sabol NFL Network interview with Cowher & his family he appeared to be a very devoted Dad.

With his second daughter graduating from high school this year, his youngest daughter, a ninth grader, will be home full time for only 3 more years.

If the Cowhers move to Raleigh this summer, his youngest daughter (who is interviewing at a private school in suburban Raleigh today, presumably not for admission in 2 years) will be spending football season in North Carolina. If his daughter will be spending that time in Raleigh then his wife will be spending that time in Raleigh.

Take off your Steeler hats and think about being a husband and/or father. If you were financially set for life and had reached the peak of your profession, would you want to spend the next three years of your life working and living in one city while your family was 500 miles away during the period from training camp until the season ends?

you bring up great points atlanta dan. cowher was lucky to last 5 or so years in the nfl as a special teamer. just that was probably making more money than he ever hoped for or dreamed of. cowher has made millions that i bet he never expected or really set himself to achieve. he is a blue collar type of guy and could be just as happy being a family man living off 75,ooo a year. money is most definitely not his motivation and i bet he has so much he dont know what to do with it all. i bet hes freaking out just buying a 2.5 million dollar home. he would be just as happy in a $150,000 home. this does make it easier to walk away if he wants. i bet you anything his wife and daughters wouldnt want that for him though.

Rotorhead
03-02-2006, 04:05 AM
Maybe that is why Wiz is still around as off Coord . . . maybe he is the next in line as the head coach . . . or maybe I am just speculating cause it is boring today and I am hoping the CBA gets extended tonight so things can get going with the NFL

clevestinks
03-02-2006, 05:30 AM
It makes me a bit nervous, but hey its his life. I can`t see a HC, not living in the city of his team, a player Yes. But Cowhers job is year round.We won the Superbowl just 3 weeks ago, and its already been free agency, draft, combines etc.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Sounds like they are definitely moving to Raleigh.

"Lindsay, the Cowher's youngest daughter who is a freshman at Fox Chapel High School, has told schoolmates that she will be moving soon to North Carolina."

Cowher declined to speak directly to the P-G but said through a spokesman the house was purchased early last fall.

Commuter marriages are tough to work through - making the move while he is still coaching is puzzling but it's his life to lead so good luck to the Cowhers on working it out.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06061/663413.stm

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
"Having the [new] house doesn't mean he's leaving here or changing his focus on the team," Lockett related. "He has not given any indication to the club about that. [Buying the house] was something they wanted to do, and they did it and it happened to be the same year we won the Super Bowl."

That should put most of the speculation to rest for now.

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Here's an update:
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06061/663413.stm

Suitanim
03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
That should settle the unrest.

I guess the hysteria and hyperbole is gonna be a lot worse this year because we won the SB...and that kinda sucks. I saw some pretty intelligent people buy into Cowher quitting in this thread, so God only knows what weird rumours we'll have to suffer through actually discussing over the next 6 months...

Mr. Clean
03-05-2006, 07:36 AM
It's clearly obvious that at some point Cowher will step down.
I think that when he steps down is when his wife decides that they are returning to North Carolina.

I'm sure that, at least as far as the Rooneys are concerned, that Cowher can coach as long as he wants to coach. Cowher could easily get a job covering the NFL with one of the TV networks.

I just hope he stays around for some time longer. With a franchise quarterback in Ben, they could win several more Super Bowls in the next few years.