PDA

View Full Version : Arians...vote

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arians has been developing Ben (he helped develop Manning). I think the Steelers have decent plays except because of the O-line he couldn't run when he wanted to. I agree they needed to work on their Red Zone playcalling.

People have been out to fire him since '07. lol So now you can vote.

steelax04
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Where's the proper poll that has The Patriots Suck and Tom Brady is gay as an option?

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Where's the proper poll that has The Patriots Suck and Tom Brady is gay as an option?

I'm hoping this is Arian's year. That aweful line hampered his playcalling. I'm excited. It is good that he has the pressure and the spotlight. Even with all of that' he still put up 23 PPG (12th in the league).

Imagine how good we will be with better running and Ben more focused (and looking the Best Arians has ever seen him).

The thing is it might be popular to jump on the fire Arians, he will suck this year but at the end of the year, I will look for this thread again. My prediction is one of the best offenses we've had in recent years once Ben comes back.

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
if i were the steelers owner, i'd have fired his stupid ass DURING, the browns game ....:mad:

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
if i were the steelers owner, i'd have fired his stupid ass DURING, the browns game ....:mad:

Do you think he will do better this year with a better O-line and Ben more focused or not?

I'm going to predict if we take the O stats from when Ben comes back and prorate it (and an extra quarter) we will be a top 10 offense.

Downbylaw
09-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I dont think the O-line is all that Bad. Its not the best but its not as bad as they are portrayed.

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Do you think he will do better this year with a better O-line and Ben more focused or not?

I'm going to predict if we take the O stats from when Ben comes back and prorate it (and an extra quarter) we will be a top 10 offense.

what makes you think ben wasn't "focused" last year ?
my theory for much of last years rushing failures were largely caused by lack of practicing run blocking in practice.... mendenhall all but confirmed it when he said they were putting a lot more emphasize on running the ball in practice...is that a just a coincidence ? i mean after the boss commented on it and all....of course why would arians have wasted time practicing run blocking when your planning on throwing most of the time..:noidea:

MACH1
09-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.

No...He'll still make the bone headed decisions, like throwing every down in a blizzard.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
what makes you think ben wasn't "focused" last year ?
my theory for much of last years rushing failures were largely caused by lack of practicing run blocking in practice.... mendenhall all but confirmed it when he said they were putting a lot more emphasize on running the ball in practice...is that a just a coincidence ? i mean after the boss commented on it and all....of course why would arians have wasted time practicing run blocking when your planning on throwing most of the time..:noidea:

I think Ben was focused last year...fine...but he will be even MORE focused and dedicated after this offseason. He did make some mistakes last year and he admits he can get better. Arians said that this is the best he has ever seen Ben look.
Perhaps I should have said "better calibrated".

Stupid is as stupid does.

No...He'll still make the bone headed decisions, like throwing every down in a blizzard.

I hope you are wrong and he is better. He has openly admitted that he was limited because of run effectiveness and made calls he otherwise wouldn't have made if the team was able to run. Maybe Adams (or Kugler) was helping the running game. This will be a good test Sunday as the Falcons are a top 10 defense against the run. Their weakness is the pass where they are in the mid to late 20s, I believe, so if we have to pass, let's do it. Robinson didn't play a single preseason game and said he won't feel ready until he actually plays his first game.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I am pleased with the poll results thus far. I think we will have a great year.

Arians has had to deal with a Bad line his whole tenure as OC. He has had to adapt his pass plays and cut back on the run because they just couldn't do it. It's been a while since we've had the confidence to run on 3rd and 3 yet we were doing it in the preseason. I hope the regular season can match that.

Watch the offense be prolific once Ben is back.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm pretty sure we were already a top ten offense (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/year/2009) last year.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty sure we were already a top ten offense (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/year/2009) last year.

Yup...we were #7:wink02: We were number 12 in points. I just think we are gonna kick some azz this year with a better running line giving Arians the options to be great. I like knowing the guy who worked with Manning has been working with Ben.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Yup...we were #7:wink02: We were number 12 in points. I just think we are gonna kick some azz tis year with a better running line giving Arians the options to be great. I like knowing the guy who worked with Manning has been working with Ben.

Especially now that Ben is starting to dedicate himself to the game. By putting extra time in the film room, maybe Ben will know where to throw the ball so he won't have to hold onto it so long and not take so many sacks this season.

Plus, Pouncey replacing Hartwig is huge. Outside speed rush was always easy for Ben to avoid because he would just step up into the pocket. It seems to me he had the most trouble with pressure up the middle. Maybe with that whole plugged up, Ben won't be throwing with defenders hanging on him:coffee:, not that it really bothered him in the first place though.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Especially now that Ben is starting to dedicate himself to the game. By putting extra time in the film room, maybe Ben will know where to throw the ball so he won't have to hold onto it so long and not take so many sacks this season.

Plus, Pouncey replacing Hartwig is huge. Outside speed rush was always easy for Ben to avoid because he would just step up into the pocket. It seems to me he had the most trouble with pressure up the middle. Maybe with that whole plugged up, Ben won't be throwing with defenders hanging on him:coffee:, not that it really bothered him in the first place though.

Agreed. I'm excited. I got to witness the difference between Pouncey and Hartwig in the preseason. The center affects both guards.

Ben does always look so calm...lol

I'm not sure were most of the pressure came from but if the inside is weak and the tackle has to cheat inside, it does expose the outside. Also you watch many teams and the rushers run wide and they just phonebooth and push them past the QB. This happens all the time. If the center of the pocket is strong, you never notice it but if it is weak it looks like everybody is getting beat.

Downbylaw
09-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Either you have the desire to be great or you dont. Ben never took the time to be a student of the game because success came early, he never had to. He doenst have to now either. All the talk about "Ben being sharp" didnt translate onto the field. He didnt look sharp to me. He looked like the same talented qb who is getting by on raw talent. What I saw last night in Brees, we will never see in Ben. Hes not that type of qb.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
What I saw last night in Brees, we will never see in Ben. Hes not that type of qb.

How do you know?

mesaSteeler
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl:

:hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff:

Well said!

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Either you have the desire to be great or you dont. Ben never took the time to be a student of the game because success came early, he never had to. He doenst have to now either. All the talk about "Ben being sharp" didnt translate onto the field. He didnt look sharp to me. He looked like the same talented qb who is getting by on raw talent. What I saw last night in Brees, we will never see in Ben. Hes not that type of qb.

So, just let me get this straight....

Despite the reports and comments from players, coaches, and commentators that Ben looks better than ever, you don't think he'll ever be the "same type of qb as Brees", based on the fact that you didn't think he looked sharp in his 20 preseason pass attempts.

I don't know how I can argue against such reasoning, but I'll try....

Your argument goes astray with the first sentence when you rule out that a person can change, which is just flat out wrong. Any person can change, both personally and professionally (sometimes the two overlap). We need to look no further than Josh Hamilton, who was addicted to who knows how many drugs one moment, and in the next moment he was one of the best sluggers in baseball.

So, while you're somewhat correct in that "either you have the desire to be great or you dont", but that isn't to say a person can't change. I'll be the first to admit that Ben relied mostly on natural ability and wasn't exactly dedicated to his craft before March 5th, but it seems that he's focused himself since then based on numerous observations from coaches, teammates and reporters. I'll trust their word more than your assessment of his preseason play.

I don't know whether Ben is going to have a good season, but based on what I've read, it seems that he's turned his life around and is very focused on football. His pedestrian preseason isn't enough for me to rule out that he's changed.

fer522
09-10-2010, 11:55 PM
:wave:fire his ass he aint done s**t:wave:

ricardisimo
09-11-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty sure this poll is missing at least one obvious option... something about the Patriots sucking and Tom Brady somethingsomething...

Downbylaw
09-11-2010, 06:49 AM
How do you know?

Well I guess I dont KNOW for sure but I dont think so. Brees is a coaches dream, he is smarty, he is a coach on the field. Ben seems confused and lost out there a lot of the time. Thats what I attibute the sack to, confusion. Could he turn over a new leaf? Its possible but to get what Brees has, its not a matter of coaching he just has IT. Just like Brees will never get Bens ability to throw huge Dlineman off of him, there are certain things you can never do. Judging by the preseaon (small sample size) Ben looks to be the same guy.

Downbylaw
09-11-2010, 07:02 AM
So, just let me get this straight....

Despite the reports and comments from players, coaches, and commentators that Ben looks better than ever, you don't think he'll ever be the "same type of qb as Brees", based on the fact that you didn't think he looked sharp in his 20 preseason pass attempts.

I don't know how I can argue against such reasoning, but I'll try....

Your argument goes astray with the first sentence when you rule out that a person can change, which is just flat out wrong. Any person can change, both personally and professionally (sometimes the two overlap). We need to look no further than Josh Hamilton, who was addicted to who knows how many drugs one moment, and in the next moment he was one of the best sluggers in baseball.

So, while you're somewhat correct in that "either you have the desire to be great or you dont", but that isn't to say a person can't change. I'll be the first to admit that Ben relied mostly on natural ability and wasn't exactly dedicated to his craft before March 5th, but it seems that he's focused himself since then based on numerous observations from coaches, teammates and reporters. I'll trust their word more than your assessment of his preseason play.

I don't know whether Ben is going to have a good season, but based on what I've read, it seems that he's turned his life around and is very focused on football. His pedestrian preseason isn't enough for me to rule out that he's changed.

So based on those comments then Ben was dogging it the other 6 years right? Did you hear any comments about "Ben looks like crap" "Ben is out of shape". No we didnt. No, I didnt think he looked sharp in preseason in fact he had the lowest qb rating of all the Steeler qbs. But again, its a short sample size. I think Ben is what he is and the only place that Ben can get better is in his mind. It has nothing to do with his weight, it has everything to do with his mind. That is where he is trailing Brees.

Of course anyone can change. Drug addiction is not the same as committing yourself to your trade. When have you ever heard of Ben staying after practice to work on timing routes with the receivers? When have you heard a young qb say "Ben took me under his wing and made me better". This guy has a locker right next to Sepulveda and has never (according to sepulveda) said one word to him. What is that?

Again, of course anyone can change but when you are successful (And Ben is) you become arrogant and you dont believe that you need to change. To get to a state of change you have to reach rock bottom. Ben has reached rock bottom in his personal life and I do believe he will change in that regard. Professionally Ben will think 'I'm good. What do I need to change" Im assuming.

Ok the coaches and players say he looks sharp. Have you heard any reports about him staying late and working on routes with his receivers? Have you heard of any extra hours in the film room? Yes, he has stayed late and signed autographs but that helps the fans, not the team.

The jury is still out on Ben. I mean I see him talking to Dixon from time to time on the sidelines but its Batch, who is often going over still shots with all the qbs and offering a helping hand. Batch is even helping Ben with reads and skeletons of opposing defenses. I want to hear stories about Ben helping prepare Dixon for the Falcons etc Ben could offer invaluable insight to him. I'm not saying he hasnt, maybe he has but my point is why dont we hear about it? From Dixon, the reporters or the players?

Downbylaw
09-11-2010, 07:13 AM
I think a lot of Bens problem is Arians, Tomlin and Cowher. Ken Whisenhunt is the only coach to stand up to Ben from what I understand and Ben disliked him as a result. Arians is similar to Brad Childress over in Minnesota. Its PATHETIC how those deseperate guys are pampering Brett Favre. Arians is the same way and to some degree Tomlin. Arians took over in 07 and since then the passing attempts have increased every season. He doesnt do what best for the team a lot of the time. Like the Ravens game, you dont leave Dixon in the pocket, his mobility was giving them fits. Again, its like telling Michael Jordan to shoot set shots and not use his jumping ability. The beauty of Dennis Dixon is his Elusiveness, arm and Mobility, you do not take away one of his strengths and make him a pocket qb. The best coaches are the coaches who dont let the players dictate what is going on. Ben sees Brady, Manning, Warner etc having these great passing seasons so its only natural for him to suggest to the OC (who he has in his pocket) to pass more. But its up to the coach to do whats best for the team and to know his personnel, he should know that Ben is not the type of qb who you can let pass 35-40 times and be successful. The numbers bare that truth. When we pass 35 times or more, we generally lose. Thats on Arians and not Ben.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Go Arians...go do your thing and make us proud. We'll be watching.

Downbylaw
09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Until things go bad and then the cry will be "FIRE ARIANS!"

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Even though I was happy the O-line is blocking better so Arians can call more runs, I was equally happy to see Arians willing to go to 4WR on occasion (Sanders was there as #4 which gives us 2 speedsters).

I thought he would be afraid of the fans and avoid that formation but he had the guts to dial it up. If it was Ben, it would have worked more.

A top quarterback can see the play developing and release the ball before the receiver is even in position.
Dixon is like 3 seconds behind. The receiver has to get open then he has to see the receiver open then has has to ask himself "Am I sure this won't be a pick? Is he REALLY open?" That gives defenders a chance to catch up.