PDA

View Full Version : Troys Contract

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Putting off Woodley's contract might mean good bye to Wood because at the end of this season we must do Troy's contract.

With all the high contracts going on, I wanted to do a poll on how much you think Troy will get. Over his last contract he made a little over 7.5 million per year.

This past year has showed we need Troy and he'll get whatever he wants but the question is how much?

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I think Troy's a nice guy. Revis got 11.5. I think he'll settle for 12 million per year.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Troy's a nice guy. Revis got 11.5. I think he'll settle for 12 million per year.

I highly doubt he'll get more than Revis. Revis is entering the prime of his career, and by next year, Troy will about to be entering the downside of his. I say he'll get somewhere around 10-11.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I highly doubt he'll get more than Revis. Revis is entering the prime of his career, and by next year, Troy will about to be entering the downside of his. I say he'll get somewhere around 10-11.

I think he'll simply ask to be the highest DB. If that is 11.6, so be it but I think he will ask and the Steelers won't be able to bluff. He's so nice that he is lucky he has an agent to break legs for him. lol

Contract are getting crazy. Look at Miles Austin getting 9 million per year.

It's gonna be very hard to do Troy, Woodley, Ike, AND Timmons in one year. What if Timmons DOES have that break out year? Trouble for us.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I think he'll simply ask to be the highest DB. If that is 11.6, so be it but I think he will ask and the Steelers won't be able to bluff. He's so nice that he is lucky he has an agent to break legs for him. lol

Contract are getting crazy. Look at Miles Austin getting 9 million per year.

It's gonna be very hard to do Troy, Woodley AND Ike in one year.

Ike is easily the odd man out. With Butler and Lewis behind him, both young with high potential, I don't see any reason to keep stone handed Ike around any longer. Thanks for your time Ike :drink:, but your services are no longer needed.

I predict Woodley get's franchised, and the Steelers will find a way to keep Troy. No way they'll let him go.

SteelKnight
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Ike is easily the odd man out. With Butler and Lewis behind him, both young with high potential, I don't see any reason to keep stone handed Ike around any longer. Thanks for your time Ike :drink:, but your services are no longer needed.

I predict Woodley get's franchised, and the Steelers will find a way to keep Troy. No way they'll let him go.

I think I might agree with you. Prior to camp, I would have said No way but I didn't know about Lewis' development and Butler. I still would like to keep Ike if he can be signed for a reasonable price (5.5 million per). You can never have enough good corners.

I think they definitely do Troy's contract next summer (no way they let him hit the market or upset him with the tag). Woodley might be franchised or let go. It defends on Gibson and Worilds. IDK about Timmons. The better he plays the harder. Everyone can't get paid. That's why the Jets cut Faneca. His 8 million easily went to Revis.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I think I might agree with you. Prior to camp, I would have said No way but I didn't know about Lewis' development and Butler. I still would like to keep Ike if he can be signed for a reasonable price (5.5 million per). You can never have enough good corners.

I think they definitely do Troy's contract next summer (no way they let him hit the market or upset him with the tag). Woodley might be franchised or let go. It defends on Gibson and Worilds. IDK about Timmons. The better he plays the harder. Everyone can't get paid. That's why the Jets cut Faneca. His 8 million easily went to Revis.

It usually takes a good 2 years to develop college DEs to NFL 3-4 OLBs. Woodley was definitely an exception to that rule, but it doesn't look like Gibson or Worilds coming along as quickly as him. I'd say the chances are, unless we're lucky, only one of them will work out, and they'll probably be used to replace the 32 or 33 year old Harrison.

But then again, I don't know if they would franchise Woodley, That would be really messed up to do to the guy. Here he is, at like 25, already probably the best OLB in the NFL, set to make just $560,000 this year, and arrives in on time camp with absolutely no complaints. I personally would not franchise a player with that kind of dedication and character. I would break the bank to keep him. But that's just me.

Downbylaw
09-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Troy would never get Revis or Ndamdi money. He is too old. Plus he is a safety. Corners are more of a premium and draw bigger bucks. When safties get older they generally get sent packing. Guys like Dawkins, Rod Woodson, John Lynch ,Ronnie Lott etc

DanRooney
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Troy would never get Revis or Ndamdi money. He is too old. Plus he is a safety. Corners are more of a premium and draw bigger bucks. When safties get older they generally get sent packing. Guys like Dawkins, Rod Woodson, John Lynch ,Ronnie Lott etc

Heh Troy just turned 29. Hardly on the downside of his career yet. He'll get about 8-9 million per year. His frequent injuries will play into the contract discussion.

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
well they're gonna have to do better than this...

The contract numbers are in for Kansas City Chiefs rookie safety Eric Berry and they're big.

Very big.

Per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, Berry received a six-year contract worth a maximum of $60 million.

That's a $10 million per-year average that I told you they wanted to hit.

The guaranteed portion is $34 million.

The contract makes him the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

true. I stand corrected.

as a side note, how ridiculous have rookie contracts become? Eric Berry getting paid more than an established, hall of fame safety in Polamalu - well, that's just insane.

Downbylaw
09-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Heh Troy just turned 29. Hardly on the downside of his career yet. He'll get about 8-9 million per year. His frequent injuries will play into the contract discussion.

Never said he was on the downside of his career. I love Troy. I think he is the best safety ALL TIME. Even better than Ronnie Lott. I'm just saying he wont get that kind of money.

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2010, 08:39 PM
true. I stand corrected.

as a side note, how ridiculous have rookie contracts become? Eric Berry getting paid more than an established, hall of fame safety in Polamalu - well, that's just insane.

and that would be one of the owners focal points of the new cba.

cloppbeast
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
and that would be one of the owners focal points of the new cba.

Go owners!

fast988
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Of course he will.:rofl:

Big
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I dont think they will resign troy to a contract extension at the end of this season juust so they can for woodley.........troy is good until the end of 2011 and thats when they'll wrap him up for life

jjpro11
09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
i hate to sound this way, but i don't think the Steelers will look at Troy's contract until it is up because of his injury history, specifically concussions. one more serious concussion could about do it for his career. it's no secret he has had several throughout his playing days. the Steelers can't afford to commit a lot of money to him before it's necessary, and then have something bad happen. while i don't think this will happen, it wouldn't be a shock if he went ahead and retired after his contract is up to save himself from more punishment. he's an undersized guy who has had a history of knee trouble and head trauma. he's intelligent, i am sure he realizes the more he plays, the harder it's going to be for his body down the road in life. this is all just speculation of course. nobody knows what will happen in the future.

ricardisimo
09-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Dude, you really need to hone your poll-making skills. Tony, can we put together a tutorial for how to correctly design SF polls? I see no Patriots/Brady option here, nor in this poster's other poll. Bad form all around.

pete74
09-11-2010, 04:15 AM
i love troy and he has been my favorite steeler for years but anyone who thinks he deserves more money then revis is nuts. revis is much younger and hasnt had the injuries troy has had. i personally would sign him for 9 million a year tops. with all his injuries and playing style he probably has 3 good years left.

this season will really show what he is worth. if he plays 16 games he will get more then if he gets another major injury and misses half the season

MasterOfPuppets
09-11-2010, 05:03 AM
i love troy and he has been my favorite steeler for years but anyone who thinks he deserves more money then revis is nuts. revis is much younger and hasnt had the injuries troy has had. i personally would sign him for 9 million a year tops. with all his injuries and playing style he probably has 3 good years left.

this season will really show what he is worth. if he plays 16 games he will get more then if he gets another major injury and misses half the season

Darrelle Revis signed a document yesterday that ended seven months of negotiations and a 36-day contract holdout. The four-year deal, worth a total of $46 million, bridged a gap between the sides that owner Woody Johnson once called "insurmountable."

Pro Football Talk was the first to obtain a full breakdown of the deal, and we have confirmed the specifics.

The deal is seven years, and voids to four if Revis does not hold out. Here's a look at how the money breaks down for the All-Pro cornerback:

2010: $7.5 million base salary, no signing bonus
2011: $18 million option bonus (due on the first day of the first league year after 2010, accounting for the chance of a lockout), $7 million base salary
2012: $7.5 million base salary (guaranteed for injury)
2013: $6 million base salary (guaranteed for skill)

The 2011 to 2013 base salaries listed above kick in after the option bonus is exercised. Before the option is exercised, there is $13.772 million in 2011 and 2012 base salary guaranteed for injury, and $13.772 million in 2013 base salary guaranteed for skill.

Over the first two years, he will earn $32.5 million. That's a $16.25 million average. Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha -- who set the mark for cornerbacks -- will earn $16.1 million this year.

If Revis suffered a career-ending injury today, he would walk away with about $21 million (this year's base, plus the $13.772 million guaranteed for injury).

If Revis does not hold out, and the seven-year deal voids to four, the Jets will not be able to use the franchise or transition tag (assuming they still exist in the new CBA) on Revis -- so he would be an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season, unless a new arrangement is already reached.
i hope they get a salary cap back in place and all these big contracts the jets have been giving out blows up in their face ...:chuckle:

Downbylaw
09-11-2010, 05:43 AM
I dont know if the contracts signed under the old CBA will count against the new one. Good question though.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-11-2010, 08:08 AM
I hope we can kept both 56 and 43

SteelKnight
09-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Agreed. He will need to be the highest paid safety. I know we are all thinking he is nice but that doesn't mean his agent is nice. He will say "I leave that stuff to my agent." His agent saw the '09 season and will want to be the highest paid safety.

I dont think they will resign troy to a contract extension at the end of this season juust so they can for woodley.........troy is good until the end of 2011 and thats when they'll wrap him up for life

I think players take it as an insult if you let them hit the open market. They will do his contract next summer (so long as the CBA is done).

Troy is so quiet with the national public. I'm glad to see him opening up to the public in these funny "Head and Shoulders" commercials. It took Peyton a while to open up (now Oreo and Sony). I hope we see more from him. He could get a lot of money outside his contract that way. Does he do local commercials?

lionslicer
09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
He's getting what? 10 million a year for his current contract. He gets paid millions for those hair comercials he used to do, there's even like a million dollar insurance policy on his hair. I would be surprised if he wanted more than 10 million a year. I'd say somewhere between 7 mil and 10 mil. But I don't know, maybe below his niceness Troy is as greedy as every other sports athlete...

SteelKnight
09-11-2010, 02:06 PM
He's getting what? 10 million a year for his current contract. He gets paid millions for those hair comercials he used to do, there's even like a million dollar insurance policy on his hair. I would be surprised if he wanted more than 10 million a year. I'd say somewhere between 7 mil and 10 mil. But I don't know, maybe below his niceness Troy is as greedy as every other sports athlete...

His current contract is a little over 7.5. It's like 7.55. I'm sure he will say he is leaving it up to his agent.

I hope these players realize they have a much greater legacy by staying one team. Alan Faneca could have finished a legend. Now what is he?

Fire Arians
09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
18-20 million a year? lol he'll be making 2x as much as ben

sorry i had to laugh at that option ;)

im sure polamalu will make top 5 safety money but nothing like a revis or asomasudl/fhuahsh (sp?) contract. he gets hurt way too much and im sure that will be a factor

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I think they will on Troy until 2011. As it is, he still has two years left on a $32 mil contract that made him the highest paid safety on active rosters in the NFL at the time.

lionslicer
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
His current contract is a little over 7.5. It's like 7.55. I'm sure he will say he is leaving it up to his agent.

I hope these players realize they have a much greater legacy by staying one team. Alan Faneca could have finished a legend. Now what is he?

I read like 5 different articles around when Troy Signed the contract, and they all say different things. and he's making between 6.5 and 9.75 mil before bonuses and before money made on roylaties from comercials. He's making a lot. lol
And if he leaves it up to his agent, he might be making a lot more with a new contract, agents get a percentage of the contract, and they want as much as they can get.

steeltheone
09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Hair commercials he used to make? They are on every other commercial here. I'm so sick of them.

lionslicer
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Hair commercials he used to make? They are on every other commercial here. I'm so sick of them.

He gets royalties from that, not only did he do comercials, he did billboards, internet ads, magazine photos, you name it. He probably made 50K upfront for each one, plus he makes a percentage of money everytime the comecials air, someone clicks a link online, a bottle is bought. It might onlybe like .1% but you take that from $4 million a month that head and shoulders bring in, thats 400k a month for troy. This is just best guess, there's a good chance he's making a lot more, especially if the comercials air during NFL games.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 12:40 AM
18-20 million a year? lol he'll be making 2x as much as ben

sorry i had to laugh at that option ;)

im sure polamalu will make top 5 safety money but nothing like a revis or asomasudl/fhuahsh (sp?) contract. he gets hurt way too much and im sure that will be a factor

Well we saw how important he was to our defense last year. With Brady and Manning set to be in that range (Brady already confirmed), I had to put it in there as an option.

Keep in mind that Miles Austin just got 9 mill per year.

Somebody just posted that the #5 pick is making 10mil/year for safety.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I think they will on Troy until 2011. As it is, he still has two years left on a $32 mil contract that made him the highest paid safety on active rosters in the NFL at the time.

They usually do the contract with 1 year left...which means next summer. If not, the player will hit free agency (unless tagged). If I remember the contract was 30.19 over 4 years but that source could be wrong.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
He gets royalties from that, not only did he do comercials, he did billboards, internet ads, magazine photos, you name it. He probably made 50K upfront for each one, plus he makes a percentage of money everytime the comecials air, someone clicks a link online, a bottle is bought. It might onlybe like .1% but you take that from $4 million a month that head and shoulders bring in, thats 400k a month for troy. This is just best guess, there's a good chance he's making a lot more, especially if the comercials air during NFL games.

Thanks. Most of that is local. The only national one we see is the Head and Shoulders...and of course Madden 10 last year.