PDA

View Full Version : ARE says he's willing to take less to stay.

rgleason
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Didnt see anyone had post this yet. Got this from ProFootballTalk.com. Pretty reliable site.

RANDLE EL REALIZES LESS COULD BE MORE

Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El, the darling of Super Bowl XL who soon could cash in via free agency even under the restrictive terms of the current CBA, possibly has studied the examples of past Super Bowl Cinderellas like Larry Brown and Desmond Howard.

Both parlayed their success in the ultimate football spotlight into big contracts, and both fizzled in their new homes.

Maybe that's why Randle El now says he'd take less money to stay in Pittsburgh, with the Steelers.

"If [the Steelers] are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," Randle El said, according to The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?"

The problem, however, is that even without an extended CBA the total package offered to Randle El likely will be more than $1 million greater than Pittsburgh's best offer. We've also heard that the Steelers don't necessarily regard Randle El as a solid No. 2 receiver -- which might have something to do with the fact that the Steelers will in the end offer much less than other teams might.

Those interested in Randle El reportedly include the Bears, Redskins, and Eagles. (They might not be as interested as Randle El hopes, however, if he continues to mention the contract Reggie Wayne recently signed with the Colts, which included a $13.5 million signing bonus.)

Our guess? Randle El won't be back in Pittsburgh. The team can draft a new punt returner, or they can give Ricardo Colclough a try. As to filling El's spot on the offensive depth chart, there are plenty of options for replacing a guy who caught less than 40 passes a year ago -- and he ain't the only non-quarterback on the team who can throw the ball once in a while.

Still, if he leaves it'd be a shame. This new generation of Super Bowl-winning Steelers will spawn another wave of players who will be set up financially after they quit playing, if they stay with the team until they retire. Antwaan, in our opinion, should try to look 20 years down the road before becoming just another guy who bounces from team to team.

Twenty years from now, he'll probably be wishing he had.

tony hipchest
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
his situationf (and styles of play) is awfully similar to az akir hakim leaving the rams after their sb run, only to fizzle out. randel el should look into this.

drizze99
03-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I agree with the report saying that he is not a solid #2. Let's face it, he a nice player to have on your team but he is not a game breaker. I appreciate what he brings to the table, but it's not #2 money. With Ward getting a big contract last year, it's highly unlikely the Steelers will pull the wallet out 2 years in a row for a skilled position... and frankly, I don't want them to. IMHO, we'll be fine with Cedric, Morgan & Washington and whoever we draft.

OX1947
03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
See, this is what I have been thinking in the back of my mind since the Super Bowl. I remember my dad told me had Kordell Stewart stayed as Slash, he would have had a 10-15 year career and would have been the only player in the modern era to do it all in his career. He would have revolutionized a position like no other had. Endorsments would have been theiur his whole career.

Randle El knows he is a mini-slash guy. He knows Bill Cowher can get every inch of his talent out playing in the Steelers offense. I am sure he has seen the Az, the peerless price and all these players who went for the money only to get cut or released after a year or 2. He actually would make more money in the long run with Pitt then if he took big money in Chicago or that rat whole in Philly.

All this talk about MAKE THE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN, doesnt work in the NFL, the money isnt guarenteed. El is guarenteed to play and be effective in Pitt, not in Chicago or Philly or wherever.

PisnNapalm
03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I get a bit of ridicule from people but I honestly think Kordell is a huge talent wasted. In that slash role he was a game breaker. Hell, as a wide reciever he had the skills and speed of a #1 guy.

Even during his one great year at QB I still thought he should have been a wide out.

I don't think Antwaan has all the skills of Kordell or his speed, I do think he's an asset. I also think he won't like the offer the Steelers make and will end up elsewhere.

clevestinks
03-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I`ve always said that El is a great third reciever, and that Hines is the best number two in the league, we need a number one. If EL returns. El Yes. If not thank you antway!

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Unfortunately, the collapse of the CBA negotiations probably mean the Steelers will not even be tendering offers to Hope or ARE. Steelers need to get under the cap ASAP.

I am afraid letting Hartings go is an easy way to meet the #, but they then have no $$ to pay any increase to any FA.

ARE may find nobody is touching FAs until it is clear in several weeks there will be no new CBA.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Look for El to possibly sign a 2 yr deal or so maybe for less money, and then try and cash in in the future since their doesnt appear to be anything left a cap free future ahead. I'd love to have him back.

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2006, 05:18 PM
We will still be below $5million to whatever El will be offered.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
We'll see what El is saying when teams start dangling fat offers in front of his face. Hines Ward got 9 million? Ed Bouchette stated today on the KDKA evening news that El is looking for around 7 or 8. If that is the case, It's not going to happen nor should it happen. The Rooney's will not give El that type of money. In my opinion, Randle El is gone.

HburgXL06
03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
See, this is what I have been thinking in the back of my mind since the Super Bowl. I remember my dad told me had Kordell Stewart stayed as Slash, he would have had a 10-15 year career and would have been the only player in the modern era to do it all in his career. He would have revolutionized a position like no other had. Endorsments would have been theiur his whole career.

My dad said the same thing back when we had Kordell. If he had played slash he would have been great because the other team would never know who the ball was going to get hiked to. For me it was like I woke up one day and Kordell was gone and I still don't know where he went or what happened to him. It would seem obvious to me that it could work out greater for you if you take less of a salary but have the better chance of getting a ring or just being successful in general. Hey, it worked for Bettis and we have a chance next year it is all a matter of how this off season works out with who goes and who stays.

BuFu

OX1947
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
We'll see what El is saying when teams start dangling fat offers in front of his face. Hines Ward got 9 million? Ed Bouchette stated today on the KDKA evening news that El is looking for around 7 or 8. If that is the case, It's not going to happen nor should it happen. The Rooney's will not give El that type of money. In my opinion, Randle El is gone.

No team in the NFL will give El 7 or 8 mil or even close to that. The most he would get and this is a HUGE stretch, is 4 or 5 mil.

Ambridge
03-01-2006, 07:56 PM

No way Randle El gets 7-8 million........he would be the most grossly overpaid receiver/returner in the league.
Randle El will continue to thrive in the Steeler system if he decides to stay but look for him to fizzle out like most other Steelers who go elsewhere thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Ambridge
03-01-2006, 07:57 PM
No team in the NFL will give El 7 or 8 mil or even close to that. The most he would get and this is a HUGE stretch, is 4 or 5 mil.

Yeah! 4-5 million is more like it.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Like I said, just stating what Ed Bouchette stated tonight on KDKA. Keep in mind folks that he did not give a source to his "seven to eight million dollar" statement.

TexaSteeler
03-02-2006, 01:38 PM
his situationf (and styles of play) is awfully similar to az akir hakim leaving the rams after their sb run, only to fizzle out. randel el should look into this.

Except Hakim had terrible hands.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I`ve always said that El is a great third reciever, and that Hines is the best number two in the league, we need a number one. If EL returns. El Yes. If not thank you antway!

So you're saying we need a No 1 receiver to win the Super Bowl????? :dang:

Hmmm. Let me think about that for a day...No. A hour. No. A minute. No. A second.

Ok done. I checked (after dusting off) the history books and concluded that we don't need "a number one". I had to go all the way back to the 2006 Super Bowl. But it is there in Black and Gold.

What we do need is a number one tailback. Take a look at our post-season rushing numbers and please be seated when viewing the woefully low numbers.

WWIIOwheelz
03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
What we do need is a number one tailback. Take a look at our post-season rushing numbers and please be seated when viewing the woefully low numbers.

That was actually what put us over the top, but you know that. The teams we played feared our running attack so much, they built their gameplan around defending against it, then Ben ate them alive.

Fast Willy earned his keep last season in my eyes, and if Duce can EVER get healthy, we've got the exact same tools in the garage for next season already in place.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-02-2006, 04:52 PM
That was actually what put us over the top, but you know that. The teams we played feared our running attack so much, they built their gameplan around defending against it, then Ben ate them alive.

Fast Willy earned his keep last season in my eyes, and if Duce can EVER get healthy, we've got the exact same tools in the garage for next season already in place.

I like Parker. He certainly earned his keep I think in the last game of the previous season in Buffalo. I am not convinced about his durability and more importantly consistency. As a One-Two punch he'd be lethal much like USC had with Reggie and LenDale.

The IF that comes with Duce will never go away. He is costing far too much in money and medical.

My point is that more production and consistency at tailback means the need for hyper-quality (i.e. Moss, T.O.) receivers is small. Run the right passing routes w/ the ability to make adjustments and catch the damn ball when you can read the fine print on the pigskin. Economy has been the Steeler way at the receiver position. Hines Ward is an anomaly is so many ways...on the field and off.

I think they'll find ARE's replacement with relative ease. His numbers are actually pretty weak. And with the players union about throw ice water on themselves, the chances that ARE stays put are improving.

Suitanim
03-02-2006, 07:23 PM
profootballtalk.com is NOT a relaible source.

But I do buy this story. And 4-5 mil sounds right...and about 2-3 more than the Steelers are probably willing to pay.

WWIIOwheelz
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I like Parker. He certainly earned his keep I think in the last game of the previous season in Buffalo. I am not convinced about his durability and more importantly consistency. As a One-Two punch he'd be lethal much like USC had with Reggie and LenDale.

The IF that comes with Duce will never go away. He is costing far too much in money and medical.

My point is that more production and consistency at tailback means the need for hyper-quality (i.e. Moss, T.O.) receivers is small. Run the right passing routes w/ the ability to make adjustments and catch the damn ball when you can read the fine print on the pigskin. Economy has been the Steeler way at the receiver position. Hines Ward is an anomaly is so many ways...on the field and off.

I think they'll find ARE's replacement with relative ease. His numbers are actually pretty weak. And with the players union about throw ice water on themselves, the chances that ARE stays put are improving.

I agree. I think you & I are on the same page about Duce, completely. With him healthy and running to his potential, he brings as much, possibly more to the table in the "Bus role" as JB himself. But.... MAN! I was telling my wife during the season, I forgot what his number was. I'd recognize him in plainclothes anywhere. I've seen most of his favorite outfits, I'll bet. Bus believes in him, though. 2 years of rust is hard to shake off at this level.