PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 gameball goes too....

tony hipchest
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
... Mendenhall.

troy saved the game ans showed why he is possibly the best player in the nfl.

jeff reed had a gameball slip off of his foot.

mendenhall ran hard all day, on a day where there wasnt much room for running (and of course, had the run to win the game).

notice it is GAMEBALL- not plural. if you split it, you are just being wishy washy... MAKE A STAND!

Polly
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Polamalu

Glad he got to a good start

Downbylaw
09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Hines. Showed leadership all day. Made big catches and would NOT let Dixon get down on himself. He showed his true value as a leader and captain under durress.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Mendenhall also. Troy definitley made it a race though.

SteelCityMom
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Mendenhall as well for me. Even though almost half his yards came on the last play, it was the biggest play of the game.

Reed almost got the game ball for me too. I was very forgiving of that 55 yarder that he JUST missed, and was ecstatic over the 52 yarder he made (new record for HF)...so I was shocked that he shanked a 40 yarder. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Kanata-Steeler
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Hines. Showed leadership all day. Made big catches and would NOT let Dixon get down on himself. He showed his true value as a leader and captain under durress.

I would tend to agree here, Hines Ward stepped up 1st-big time to help Dixon out, then Troy, then Mendenhall, ....

GMU Steeler
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I like giving game balls to guys on each side of the ball. Troy gets it on D for a clutch pick and a hell of a play. Matty Ice became Matty Iced on that play. Nice play too by Troy. And yeah without question Mendy on offense. Love seeing plays like that. That was beautiful.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Sean Kugler

The Steelers O-line played very well. Even though it was very obvious what they were doing, they were still able to handle their own. There were several open holes early but I think Mendenhall was nervous trying to hold on to the ball and not fumble so he missed a few of them. He ran well.

On pass plays there was time too. When Ben gets back he will be happy. Only one sack was their fault (Starks).

Even with the injury to Starks, he was able to sub Scott, and adjust protections to help him so we forgot Starks was gone.

Great job Kugs.

steelerohio
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Seems the wind knocked off the 40 yarder and, if I am correct, the 52 yarder was at the other end of the field...

My game ball would go to mendenhall for the last play...

MattsMe
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
The announcers. For not making the game all about Ben's suspension. I really expected to have to mute it by the end of the first drive.

tony hipchest
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
good call on hines and kugler. :thumbsup:

The Lakelander
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
McFadden ... he had single coverage on Roddy White all game and made every single tackle ... he kept White in front of him ... that was a huge assignment ...

Sure White jobbed us for 13 catches ... but because McFadden was able to cover Roddy White, Ike and company were able to take Gonzalez totally out of this ball game!

Well done McFadden ... welcome back home!

McFadden ... 12 tackles and 2 assists ... HUGE!

skinart82
09-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Way too tuff, Defense played amazing, Hines was...well Hines, Troy was...well Troy, Reed hit a big one, but let the sure shot go to the side.

SmashmouthFootball
09-12-2010, 04:51 PM
The defense was outstanding. Bend, but do not BREAK. Atlanta is a very good offensive team and they were held to three field goals today and that was with our offense not helping us much at all in terms of field position. Gameball to the D, specifically Troy.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
good call on hines and kugler. :thumbsup:

Yug. Kugs the man. Ben would have thrown 3 TDs and Mendenhal would have had 2 more. With Ben we would have been looking at 35 to 9. lol

I'm pretty sure Wallace was open several times. I even saw Sanders run a good route. Dixon is scared...expected...but we have to switch to Batch.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
The defense was outstanding. Bend, but do not BREAK. Atlanta is a very good offensive team and they were held to three field goals today and that was with our offense not helping us much at all in terms of field position. Gameball to the D, specifically Troy.

I don't even think they bent too much except that short pass on the flats is always open. A patient team will keep throwing it there. Troy did a great play but he needs to sniff that out a few more times. They kept throwing that pass. It's always right flat.

They need to design some plays where as soon as the ball is snapped, the CB rushes the WR to try to intercept that pass and if he fails, somebody covers him. It is a gamble guess because if he's wrong, the WR will run right past him but if he is right it is a pick 6.

figg
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Mendenhall :thumbsup:

Steel_Bus_24
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
man this one was tough, this was a total team effort and only that would have won us this game

StainlessStill
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
So many to pick from, from our marquee players. Would have been Reed if he knocked in that 55 yarder. The dude has bigtime leg, he needs his contract. If he makes that 55 yarder, that doesn't allow Atanta a 3 point swing to get an opportunity before half to tie.

I'm going to have to say the game ball goes to Mendenhall for not tripping and falling on the way to the endzone but this was a TEAM win. A pure team win. I bet Ben was going nutso haah.

OX1947
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Seems the wind knocked off the 40 yarder and, if I am correct, the 52 yarder was at the other end of the field...

My game ball would go to mendenhall for the last play...

Boy, I've been watching games at Heinz for 9 years plus, I never saw a ball go right like that when it was dead straight. That wind over there is amazing. Even the first two FGs by Reed and Bryant went RIGHT LEFT RIGHT in the air. Amazing that wind over there....

MACH1
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Gotta give mine to Hines. The old man showed he still haves it.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
McFadden ... he had single coverage on Roddy White all game and made every single tackle ... he kept White in front of him ... that was a huge assignment ...

Sure White jobbed us for 13 catches ... but because McFadden was able to cover Roddy White, Ike and company were able to take Gonzalez totally out of this ball game!

Well done McFadden ... welcome back home!

McFadden ... 12 tackles and 2 assists ... HUGE!

He did OK. White's 13 catches for 111 yards just exposed a weakness in the steelers D...the quick pass to the flats. While this had been known, this will remind teams. Yeah...It could have been worse but I wouldn''t give im a game ball.

steelax04
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Coach Tomlin for the way he called the timeout to 'freeze' the kicker. Anyone else see that?

He still made the 2nd attempt, but I couldn't stop laughing at how he called it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjAu10QDc10

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Mendenhall. He kept us out of 3rd and long in many cases, especially when we had poor field position (so many times). 2nd & 5, 2nd & 6 was better than FWP's 2nd & 12's he (too often) left us with...

Not to mention, of course, the last play of the game.

steelerohio
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Coach Tomlin for the way he called the timeout to 'freeze' the kicker. Anyone else see that?

Yeah i saw that... and the replay too... tres cool...

stb_steeler
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Have to go with Hines.......Could of gone a few ways but Hines helped keep DD head up in the game.

touchdownward
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Hines Ward. The old man can still get it done.

zulater
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Loved Hines, thought he played a great game. Timmons too. Can you say breakout season? But after more thought I've decided to go with Troy Polamalu. Besides his great interception, you can just see how the defense plays with more confidence with him in there. Truly a game changer.

Fire Arians
09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
mendenhall. made a big play when it counted most

Slanted August
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Timmons - You will not see this on the box score but he was like a hungry Mountain Lion chasing Gazelles.

Sep - Cant say enough about the long & high hang time kicks where we got good coverage and change of field position.

MasterOfPuppets
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
hines

Haiku_Dirtt
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM
This is almost impossible because in the sequence of events a game ball could be hoisted.

Where would we be without Hines getting us out to mid-field instead of punting deep? Where would we be without Troy pulling another jaw dropper?

Arguably David Johnson was the guy who gave Mendenhall the cupcake on the final play.

Gameball...Mike Tomlin.

desertsteel
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Mendy

desertsteel
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Mendy

scsteeler
09-12-2010, 11:03 PM

I agree with you it is Hines Ward.

scsteeler
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
This is almost impossible because in the sequence of events a game ball could be hoisted.

Where would we be without Hines getting us out to mid-field instead of punting deep? Where would we be without Troy pulling another jaw dropper?

Arguably David Johnson was the guy who gave Mendenhall the cupcake on the final play.

Gameball...Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin HELL HE CAN'T COACH HE WINS WITH COWHERS OLD TALENT. (sarcasm)

lionslicer
09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
The whole team

roopdawg
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Hines Ward- Great Leadership!!

cloppbeast
09-12-2010, 11:29 PM
No votes for Timmons? This was his breakout game. 11 tackles, he was around the ball all game.

Troy and Mendy both had big moments, but were pretty pedestrian throughout. I'd have to go with Timmons, since he dominated the entire game.

MikeHaullace
09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
He did OK. White's 13 catches for 111 yards just exposed a weakness in the steelers D...the quick pass to the flats. While this had been known, this will remind teams. Yeah...It could have been worse but I wouldn''t give im a game ball.

Sorry dude. I don't think you're seeing the point being made.

This game was played on a very short middle-field.

White was the go-to guy on that short field all day long.

Number of times McFadden let White (Top 5 NFC receiver?) get behind him? ... 0.

That is *HUGE*. More or less containing the 'other weapon' on the Falcons.

White probably takes 3 of those 12 tackles for significant gains or even to the house one-on-one with Gay.

Then again, I never did think Gay was worth a damn.

Perspective.

[EDIT] - For what it is worth, I think Mendy should get the gameball.

StainlessStill
09-13-2010, 12:01 AM
The thing is about the Steelers defense is when they give up something, they are content on dealing with it and understand their priorities must be elsewhere. That sideline pass was there the whole day, as well as the underneath quick passes. You could complete those passes all day while Dick LeBeau snickers and giggles on the sideline because that is exactly what we bait them into taking to set up some things designed around blitz packages in certain situation.

That sideline pass was open all day, but you saw McFadden stuff it everytime and pretty much give up 0 yards after the catch. Why? SCHEME, which set up Polamalu's read to get the pick since we jumped what we've been giving them that they were taking.

BIGWILL
09-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Id give it to sepulveda. no joke

StainlessStill
09-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Id give it to sepulveda. no joke

Like anyone else, he CERTAINLY is worthy. Even though we lost most of the average field position battle, Sup. helped in booming the right kicks at the right time. He doesn't go unnoticed. He's very important to this team!

SacknificentStew56
09-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Mendy gets my vote. He came through and ran patient and scored the games on TD. For that, he's the Week 1 game ball recipient.

steeltheone
09-13-2010, 02:37 AM
[QUOTE=cloppbeast;842830]No votes for Timmons? This was his breakout game. 11 tackles, he was around the ball all game.

Troy and Mendy both had big moments, but were pretty pedestrian throughout. I'd have to go with Timmons, since he dominated the entire game.[

I agree Timmons was a monster! His speed from the middle is something we have been lacking!