PDA

View Full Version : Official Time for Batch vote

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
OK. You saw the game.

Dixon looks like a rookie. His legs are not offering us any advantage. He is severely limiting Arians. He made SEVERAL poor throws. He offers no advantage over Batch.

Time for the switch. Vote now.

truesteelerfan
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
In week one, a win is a win IMO.....He's only going to get better..and this win should help his confidence. The only think I think that limits Ariens,is Arien's lack of imagination...Batch would probably not have underthrown so many passes, but would likely leave us with only 1 QB once he's injured. Dixon will get better with practice....

MattsMe
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm one of the few fans Batch has left, and I have never been impressed with Dixon. I could never understand the hype after the Ravens game last year. And I believe he will cost us a game before it's over.

However, there's something to be said for sticking with one QB. So as much as I hate to say it, stay with Dixon.

SmashmouthFootball
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I disagree, he did look like a rookie, but he also had his moments.

I think the key will be to see how he progresses from game to game in the regular season. If he improves next week and is better, we'll know we have something. Plus, even though we limit the way he can use his mobility, we could potentially need it more than ever if Starks can't go next week.

In the end, it's not a HUGE deal one way or the other. We only have three more games to go without Ben, one is against Tampa which shouldn't be much of an issue as long as the team doesn't overlook them...our defense proved today that it is back in a big, big way and Mendenhall showed what he can do. I don't think a major shakeup is a good thing at this point. Just try to get through the next three games, 3-1 would be a HUGE success and is very attainable.

Kanata-Steeler
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
It's not really a matter of Batch or Dixon ?, it's more of the rest of the Steelers pulling together big-time now (especially the veterans) -just like Hines Ward, and Troy did today ... to help out our 3rd-string QB's.
Our "Running" game is paramount.
but no doubt, WE need both Batch and Dixon healthy now, more than ever !

:tt04:

Kanata-Steeler
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Obviously, we won a tough game today against the dirty-birds with Dixon in all day.

I'm sure if our veteran BATCH was in instead today, the poll would 80% for him too. ?
So, no offense, but your "poll" is rather useless? -dare i say
;)
:tt:

Downbylaw
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I love when I said Batch should start due to experience and most were against me. Oh how the tides have changed. Again. all we need is a LITTLE from the qb. We are good. Ben has been winning like this MOST of his career. You guys act like this is new. Go back to last year and look at the Bears, 2nd Browns game, 2nd Ravens game, Vikings game and Titans game. Offensively it looked just like today.

The Lakelander
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
In fairness, Dixon was pinned inside the 10 yard line in the 1st Half almost every drive ...

If you are going to play to lose, you let Dixon make his mistakes down deep in our own end ...

The coaching staff played it to win at home ... they played it conservatively ...

Who can really complain about that?

Dixon needs to stay in there ... he needs to grow through confidence and experience ...

His QB rating is higher than Matt Ryan's already ... :chuckle:

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
In week one, a win is a win IMO.....He's only going to get better..and this win should help his confidence. The only think I think that limits Ariens,is Arien's lack of imagination...Batch would probably not have underthrown so many passes, but would likely leave us with only 1 QB once he's injured. Dixon will get better with practice....

There were several plays that required a simple pass to the open recever. Batch, wile he floats the ball, can make those passes. Dixon can't...yet. He needs playing time.

The one advantage I thought Dixon was going to offer us was his legs. He didn't have any advantage with is legs. None.

Yes...he will get better with practice and if we were talking about a 16 game season, I would say play him and maybe by game 8, we'll see te fruits but we don't have time to allow theis 4 game stretch to be an experiment.

I'm one of the few fans Batch has left, and I have never been impressed with Dixon. I could never understand the hype after the Ravens game last year. And I believe he will cost us a game before it's over.

However, there's something to be said for sticking with one QB. So as much as I hate to say it, stay with Dixon.

You guys are all feeling the euphoria of the win and are not thinkig straightly. lol If we had lost, would you feel the same way? lol

ajs8207
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Batch can't make that 52 yard pass to Wallace. That pass was perfect. Dixon's legs cause defenses to try to contain him, limiting pass rush and run defense.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Obviously, we won a tough game today against the dirty-birds with Dixon in all day.

I'm sure if our veteran BATCH was in instead today, the poll would 80% for him too. ?
So, no offense, but your "poll" is rather useless? -dare i say
;)
:tt:

I think people are feeling the Euphoria of the win and are not thinking straight. Had we lost, it would be different. I tink I am thinking rationally. If Dixon would make the occasional first down with his legs, I might feel differently but he is not offering that.

He makes me stessed and nervous. lol

The advantage to declaring Batch the starter now is allowing him to actually PRACTICE with te first team (something he didn't do all off season) and allowing them to design a gameplan for Batch.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:14 PM
In fairness, Dixon was pinned inside the 10 yard line in the 1st Half almost every drive ...

If you are going to play to lose, you let Dixon make his mistakes down deep in our own end ...

The coaching staff played it to win at home ... they played it conservatively ...

Dixon needs to stay in there ... he needs to grow through confidence and experience ...

But every almost time they called on Dixon to pass he choked it up. There was a play where Randel El was open on the left sideline for a first down (punt). There was a play where he underthrew El (punt). There was the interception where he should have floated it to Miller (INT). He underthrew Wallace who was open (punt). He botched a screen. There was a play where sanders was open for a big play.

How many of these plays would Batch have made? Maybe half...good enough.

DoctorCAD
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Batch can't make that 52 yard pass to Wallace. That pass was perfect. Dixon's legs cause defenses to try to contain him, limiting pass rush and run defense.

Another 4 feet and that pass would have been perfect. Receiver had to turn around and slow up. Very Ben-like.

Dixon had NO running for the defense to worry about, neither did the rest of the team after the first few drives. The adjusted to the run and Dixon couldn't win it with his arm.

Damn lucky that the D played 3.5 quarters instead of their last seasons 3.0.

Come on, only 4 plays in the red zone is BAD FOOTBALL.

MasterOfPuppets
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I love when I said Batch should start due to experience and most were against me. Oh how the tides have changed. Again. all we need is a LITTLE from the qb. We are good. Ben has been winning like this MOST of his career. You guys act like this is new. Go back to last year and look at the Bears, 2nd Browns game, 2nd Ravens game, Vikings game and Titans game. Offensively it looked just like today.
http://images.memegenerator.net/jesus-says/ImageMacro/1896324/Jesus-says-Stfu-and-gtfo.jpg

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
The only think I think that limits Ariens,is Arien's lack of imagination...

Are you serious? lol Is this Arians' fault too? Dixon obviously is nervous, can't trust seeing open receivers, and made no plays with his legs. Finally they give Arians an O-ine to work with then they tie his arms behind his back again with Dixon.

If Dixon could make the simple short thows accurately we would have had an easy win. The guys were open.

MACH1
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Stick with Dixon until he blows it big time. He almost did today.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Stick with Dixon until he blows it big time. He almost did today.

That's fine. I see what's going on ere. He did blow it today. Just because we won, everyone has forgotten. The first 3 drives all ended because of his mistakes. he should have been making these mistakes in the preseason.

We will see a running QB next week in Vince Young.

MACH1
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
That's fine. I see what's going on ere. He did blow it today. Just because we won, everyone has forgotten. The first 3 drives all ended because of his mistakes. he should have been making these mistakes in the preseason.

We will see a running QB next week in Vince Young.

I didn't forget!

I think Tomlin has to stick with his decision to start dixon aka kordell jr. IMO

BlockMonsta
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Damn this fourm is so full of people that bitch 24/7. We won. Thats all there is to it. He missed a few passes, everyone does. Shut up.

StainlessStill
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Dixon actually dissapointed me today. The throws that he missed were the ones that he made last season @ Baltimore. He seems too uptight and cute with it, every ball is in the dirt. His throwing motion has a lot to do with it and if he could complete the routine balls a QB is supposed to, then things change (clock management, field position, chain movement, etc.) Hell, almost had that one ball picked , the 2nd one he threw RIGHT IN THE CHEST of a Falcon defender that dropped it in our own territory.

Still, give the man a couple chances. He's young and faced a TOUGH defense. Good thing Mendy stepped up and helped his young QB out in OT.

pittguy578
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Dixon was bouncing balls that were only 10-15 yards out. Totally unacceptable for a QB.
Steelers would have easily won that game if they had a QB that could actually complete passes that any QB should make and not make mental errors. He almost threw two ints in one quarter,

Hirsch
09-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Every body is worried about Batch getting hurt and leaving us with only one QB but what if DD gets hurt wont we be in the same boat.I say put Batch in he cant throw the deep ball but IMO he is the better QB right now. We are not asking him to make it thru a whole season just 3 more games.

Thank God for a great DEFENSE

lionslicer
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Dixon, a rookie, will make rookie mistakes especially under Arians. If we still had the whiz, I'd say otherwise.

Batch, smart verteran, but out of shape, everytime he plays he seems to get injured or sacked.

One thing I don't like about Dixon, is after he threw that interception, on the sidelines he wasn't acting like a real quarterback. Instead of going right to coaches and pictures, he just moped in his own defeat. That destroys team moral when your quarterback isn't a leader. Sometime Ben has always done. He might walk off the field in shame, but he goes right to the coaches and learns from his mistake. When your team is losing, and you look at your "leader" and he's sulking in his own defeat, that doesn't make you feel any better about your performance.

But Dixon has potential, just needs to focus and play the game. I'd take him over Batch as of right now. Batch hasn't been in real playing shape in years because he hasn't expected to start. He's slow, brittle, his neck is stiff, he doesn't look around the field quick enough. I have more of a problem with Batch than Dixon.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Batch? Dude looked like a deer in the headlights in the last preseason game.

Third string QB Dennis Dixon: 18/26 for 236 yards...69.23% completion rate

Future of the Franchise Matt Ryan: 27/44 for 252 yards...61.36% completion rate

Umm. As someone who watched Dixon at Oregon I think y'all should give this warrior time to get his sea legs. Besides what happens if Batch goes down? Now instead of taking the training wheels off slowly we throw Dixon onto a highwire with a unicycle?

Did Dixon make mistakes? Do I need to recount every stupid arse interception that Ben has thrown.

I'm confused. I thought we won this game.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Dixon was bouncing balls that were only 10-15 yards out. Totally unacceptable for a QB.
Steelers would have easily won that game if they had a QB that could actually complete passes that any QB should make and not make mental errors. He almost threw two ints in one quarter,

Let's completely ignore the plays he did make. Amnesia? :mg:

He completed almost 70% of his passes. WTF are you guys talking about. He is basically a rookie.

tony hipchest
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Damn this fourm is so full of people that bitch 24/7. We won. Thats all there is to it. He missed a few passes, everyone does. Shut up.i know another board where nobody bitches at all (if you do you get banned).

its probably best to take the good with the "bad".

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I didn't forget!

Do you think think the poll results would have been the same if we had lost? I don't.

Tomlin can back out by saying "Dixon did well but we decided to go wit Carlie primarily because of experience." (Bradford looked better than Dixon today).

I can't wait until Leftwich comes back.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Batch? Dude looked like a deer in the headlights in the last preseason game.

Third string QB Dennis Dixon: 18/26 for 236 yards...69.23% completion rate

Future of the Franchise Matt Ryan: 27/44 for 252 yards...61.36% completion rate

Umm. As someone who watched Dixon at Oregon I think y'all should give this warrior time to get his sea legs. Besides what happens if Batch goes down? Now instead of taking the training wheels off slowly we throw Dixon onto a highwire with a unicycle?

Did Dixon make mistakes? Do I need to recount every stupid arse interception that Ben has thrown.

I'm confused. I thought we won this game.

Yeah...we won but we won DESPITE him instead of because of him. You can't have one opinion the whole game and then because we win change it.

I know those stats look pretty good but watching the game, he didn't play that well. Maybe of the 8 passes he missed, 6 of them were easy 3rd down passes he should have made.

If only his legs balanced out is poor throwing...Maybe they need to encourage him to run more.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Let's completely ignore the plays he did make. Amnesia? :mg:

He completed almost 70% of his passes. WTF are you guys talking about. He is basically a rookie.

I think the problem was we were 4/14 on 3rd downs (29%). I'm not sure how many of those were passes but I remember dixon mising a bunch. That's no good.

Had he come through on more of those 3rd down plays, things would be different.

VegasStlrFan
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
He played like a rookie at times, but I say play calling could be changed to match his strengths for major improvement. Seemed to me like most of the passes were straight drop back (no rollout and very little play action). Giving him the hook after his performance today would be premature. IMO

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Dixon, a rookie, will make rookie mistakes especially under Arians. If we still had the whiz, I'd say otherwise.

Batch, smart verteran, but out of shape, everytime he plays he seems to get injured or sacked.

One thing I don't like about Dixon, is after he threw that interception, on the sidelines he wasn't acting like a real quarterback. Instead of going right to coaches and pictures, he just moped in his own defeat. That destroys team moral when your quarterback isn't a leader. Sometime Ben has always done. He might walk off the field in shame, but he goes right to the coaches and learns from his mistake. When your team is losing, and you look at your "leader" and he's sulking in his own defeat, that doesn't make you feel any better about your performance.

But Dixon has potential, just needs to focus and play the game. I'd take him over Batch as of right now. Batch hasn't been in real playing shape in years because he hasn't expected to start. He's slow, brittle, his neck is stiff, he doesn't look around the field quick enough. I have more of a problem with Batch than Dixon.

Ben makes a mistake and he FAKES like he is hurt. See the Titan game where he fumbled on the Titan 1 yard line, looked around to see who recovered the ball, saw the Titans get the ball and immediately acted hurt. True story

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008122107/2008/REG16/steelers@titans/watch

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah...we won but we won DESPITE him instead of because of him. You can't have one opinion the whole game and then because we win change it.

I know those stats look pretty good but watching the game, he didn't play that well. Maybe of the 8 passes he missed, 6 of them were easy 3rd down passes he should have made.

If only his legs balanced out is poor throwing...Maybe they need to encourage him to run more.

How many games have we won DESPITE Ben? SB40, Vikings (09), Titans (09), I could go on and on. Double Standard

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I think the problem was we were 4/14 on 3rd downs (29%). I'm not sure how many of those were passes but I remember dixon mising a bunch. That's no good.

Had he come through on more of those 3rd down plays, things would be different.

You mean like last year under Ben when we missed the playoffs being 28% on third down? Double Standard

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Ben makes a mistake and he FAKES like he is hurt. See the Titan game where he fumbled on the Titan 1 yard line, looked around to see who recovered the ball, saw the Titans get the ball and immediately acted hurt. True story

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008122107/2008/REG16/steelers@titans/watch

We Lost that game didn't we??
When you're quarterback is an asshole about certain things, the players around him play worse.
And what was the point of posting that? Are you so **** struck jealous of Ben you have to go against him in any situation? You're nothing but a Ben Troll of hate and want to argue about anything Ben related.

steeltheone
09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
No BR7 2 less trophys!

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
You mean like last year under Ben when we missed the playoffs being 28% on third down? Double Standard

28% on 3rd down because the line couldn't run block and Arians would call the dumbest pass plays. Like all recievers run routes longer than 10 yards when all the steelers needed was like 1 yard. But you have a double standar for Arians. You'll critisize him about what players he puts in, but not the plays he calls and blame it on something else, like you always blame Ben for everything. You have more double standards than anyone here.

steeltheone
09-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Dixon deserves another start. Just please roll him out more, Bruce!

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
We Lost that game didn't we??
When you're quarterback is an asshole about certain things, the players around him play worse.
And what was the point of posting that? Are you so **** struck jealous of Ben you have to go against him in any situation? You're nothing but a Ben Troll of hate and want to argue about anything Ben related.

No, I'm merely a guy that holds a mirror to all of your faces and points out your hypocrisy and double standards. About the qb being a butthole. You mean like Jim Mcmahon on the 86 Bears. The 15-1 super bowl champion bears? Yeah I get cha

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
No BR7 2 less trophys!

Prove that please

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 08:04 AM
28% on 3rd down because the line couldn't run block and Arians would call the dumbest pass plays. Like all recievers run routes longer than 10 yards when all the steelers needed was like 1 yard. But you have a double standar for Arians. You'll critisize him about what players he puts in, but not the plays he calls and blame it on something else, like you always blame Ben for everything. You have more double standards than anyone here.

They blocked for Dixon last year. 26 passes vs the bltiz happy ravens and no sacks. Runnig game was fine. If Arians calls a dumb play then WHY doesnt Ben change it? Peyton Manning is not bound by any play called from the sideline and neither if Favre, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers etc. So why is Ben? If the routes are long then Ben should HOT ROUTE at the line and make it a shorter route. Leftwich did this vs the Redskins. Why cant our starter? I Do criticize Arians for some of his play calling, see the difference? I criticize him when he is wrong and give him credit when I disagree. I dont hold him in such high esteem where I wont allow myself to criticize him at all. You know like you do about you know who?

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 08:07 AM
No, I'm merely a guy that holds a mirror to all of your faces and points out your hypocrisy and double standards. About the qb being a butthole. You mean like Jim Mcmahon on the 86 Bears. The 15-1 super bowl champion bears? Yeah I get cha

Jim played 11 games, he was medicore at best, but he was also one of the first quarterbacks to act like that when you shouldn't.

Bears went 15-1 that one season, McMahon never played over 11 games for the rest of his career because he was "injured" and sat for his stupid antics. In 1987 Ditka had enough of him and traded him for his stupidness. He would never have another sucessful season in his life.
There is no hypocracy. Mirriors don't work on people who aren't stupid.

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 08:13 AM
They blocked for Dixon last year. 26 passes vs the bltiz happy ravens and no sacks. Runnig game was fine. If Arians calls a dumb play then WHY doesnt Ben change it? Peyton Manning is not bound by any play called from the sideline and neither if Favre, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers etc. So why is Ben? If the routes are long then Ben should HOT ROUTE at the line and make it a shorter route. Leftwich did this vs the Redskins. Why cant our starter? I Do criticize Arians for some of his play calling, see the difference? I criticize him when he is wrong and give him credit when I disagree. I dont hold him in such high esteem where I wont allow myself to criticize him at all. You know like you do about you know who?

Most players obey coordinators so they don't get bitched out on the side line.
And here's something you might not know, centers are KEY to line blocks when you audible and get up to the line. If you have a center who can't call line blocks correctly, you will have a sack or you will have the running back running in fear.
Jeff Saturday, the center for the colts, calls plays from the line as much as Peyton calls palys. Saturday is constantly changing the line calls for every calls Peyton makes, whether its real or just a fake call. The past 4 years we haven't had a good center. A good center has to be able to block and control that line.

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Jim played 11 games, he was medicore at best, but he was also one of the first quarterbacks to act like that when you shouldn't.

Bears went 15-1 that one season, McMahon never played over 11 games for the rest of his career because he was "injured" and sat for his stupid antics. In 1987 Ditka had enough of him and traded him for his stupidness. He would never have another sucessful season in his life.
There is no hypocracy. Mirriors don't work on people who aren't stupid.

Mcmahon was key to their success. He also has two SB rings The point is I refuted your butthole qb analogy with proof. Simple

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Most players obey coordinators so they don't get bitched out on the side line.
And here's something you might not know, centers are KEY to line blocks when you audible and get up to the line. If you have a center who can't call line blocks correctly, you will have a sack or you will have the running back running in fear.
Jeff Saturday, the center for the colts, calls plays from the line as much as Peyton calls palys. Saturday is constantly changing the line calls for every calls Peyton makes, whether its real or just a fake call. The past 4 years we haven't had a good center. A good center has to be able to block and control that line.

Coordinators call the plays BEFORE they see the defense. If the qb sees something in the defense and he knows the play wont work, so he should just go with the call? Good, smart qbs dont do that. Good, smart qbs change the play to a play that will beat the defense. Its a chess match. Saturday doesnt call PLAYS, he calls sight adjustments and line maneuvers, such as to pinch, spread and or block right or left. So your EXCUSE Is that Ben doesnt audible because we dont have a good center?
Then please explain why it worked for Leftwich vs the skins on the goaline? He saw the corner off of Tone and he audibled and hot routed to a quick pass. Result? TD.
What about when we had Hartings? He was a great center. Next excuse?

drizze99
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
There were several plays that required a simple pass to the open recever. Batch, wile he floats the ball, can make those passes. Dixon can't...yet. He needs playing time.

The one advantage I thought Dixon was going to offer us was his legs. He didn't have any advantage with is legs. None.

Yes...he will get better with practice and if we were talking about a 16 game season, I would say play him and maybe by game 8, we'll see te fruits but we don't have time to allow theis 4 game stretch to be an experiment.

You guys are all feeling the euphoria of the win and are not thinkig straightly. lol If we had lost, would you feel the same way? lol

Amazing how so many "fans" have such short memories. Anyone feel like turning back the hands of time and looking a Big Ben's first few games as a Steeler? I'll give you a hint, they weren't pretty... at all. Ben did the same thing that Dixon did yesterday and that was trying to place the ball instead of just throwing it. Dixon has an unbelievable arm and can make ANY NFL throw because of it BUT he lacks in experience. That lack in experience showed yesterday BUT I still want him as my QB because he is young. Batch is all but washed up. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he has been a solid back-up throughout the years but it's time for him to hang up the cleats and pull out the coaches clipboard. I really hope he becomes a Steeler assistant next year because I believe he will be a good coach.

Anyways, getting back to the reason why this thread was made, Dixon made some amazing plays yesterday. If you don't believe me, watch the game again. Most of the time he looked like a first time starter but there flashes of brilliance that should tell you that this kid can definitely play QB in the NFL if given the playing time.

Also, I firmly believe that he didn't use his legs as much yesterday as he could have because Arians wants him to go through his progressions and not just scramble to get out of a jam. So if there is anyone to blame for Dixon being "legless" yesterday, point it at Arians.

truesteelerfan
09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
One reason I support Dennis,is that while he didn't use his legs to get us yards this week...at least he has make opposing defenses watch for it...With Batch in there (who I love as a backup..he is steady)...Game plans need to keep someone around just in case Dennis runs...with Charlie in there, that one person who might shadow Dennis,can be either rushing theQB, or in coverage. Just the threat of him running (whether he does or not) might get us a few yards.

tunes4life
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
The problem with batch has not been his skill as a quarterback for several years. He is just too injury prone recently. So you put him in, he gets hurt in the first half and then your back to Dennis. And then the offense is set up for Charlie. Nah, give the kid another shot. He admitted to being nervous. We won! Lets see what he can do.

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Coordinators call the plays BEFORE they see the defense. If the qb sees something in the defense and he knows the play wont work, so he should just go with the call? Good, smart qbs dont do that. Good, smart qbs change the play to a play that will beat the defense. Its a chess match. Saturday doesnt call PLAYS, he calls sight adjustments and line maneuvers, such as to pinch, spread and or block right or left. So your EXCUSE Is that Ben doesnt audible because we dont have a good center?
Then please explain why it worked for Leftwich vs the skins on the goaline? He saw the corner off of Tone and he audibled and hot routed to a quick pass. Result? TD.
What about when we had Hartings? He was a great center. Next excuse?

Centers do a lot more than call simple manuevers. Saturday has to make sure when Peyton switches to a run play that if there is a stunt, that Oline men knows the stunt and who he supposed to block. They made up words before each game for linebackers and stunts so a scout from another team can't steal their terminology. There are a lot of things he does. There has also been instances where saturday will yell out an idea in their own little languge if he doesn't like what peyton is calling. Thats just them, most centers don't have this good of a relationship with their quarterbacks.

I never said Ben doesn't audible because we don't have a good center? I was pretty clear that the blocking was terrible because we don't have a good center.
I said Arians calls are pretty bad sometimes, but Ben isn't the smartest person in the world, and he would suck arians dick if he could for how much he lets him pass. Whiz never let Ben pass. Ben only had 2000 so yards a season because we ran the ball so much, but he had really good completion and quarterback ratings in 2004 and 2005, playoffs he tanked but we still won.
I've seen Ben audible and check out of plays a lot, but he wont check to run plays because he doesn't have confidence in the line. But with certain formations, he can only call out certain audibles. A whole new play could screw everyone up causing penalties. Steelers aren't used to moving around like Manning can move around his guys. So with a 4 or 5 wide set, the only plays he can call are pass plays 5-10 yards deep, even if we only need 1 yard. A smart defense will know this from studying film and only rush 3 guys, making it impossible for Ben to find an open person, he runs around, gets sacked. And then are 3rd down percentage sucks because this happens over and over. And when we run on 3rd and short, the line fails at life at blocking because they aren't governed who to block or what stunts to use because the center fails at life on calling the right adjustments.

Its a team game, but sometimes 1 bad player or play call can cause a serious of unfortunate events.

lionslicer
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Mcmahon was key to their success. He also has two SB rings The point is I refuted your butthole qb analogy with proof. Simple

He won that ring as a back up to Favre. 1987 Ditka had enough of him, and even the president was pissed off at him, so they traded him to the chargers, when the chargers were in a rut. The players and coaches hated him, during the next season, he was still an asshole, and he played medicore, similar to his medicore playing in chicago. And was sat for the final 5 games of the season, released after the season. Went to philly to be a back up, and nothing more. No one wanted to start him.

Winning a superbowl ring as a backup doesn't make you good in anyway. For Favre got a long with him and requested he'd stay the backup there when he arrived in Greenbay. He retired after winning the ring. Not after disrespecting the packers by wearing his bears jersey to the white house, though he said it was because he never got tot he white house as a bear because the trip was cancelled, it was unexcepted, and packers probably were going to trade him, and to not go though that again, he just retired.

Oh and his key to winning for the bears in 1985 season wasn't that big, the bears had a huge offense at the begining of the season, but it completely died out the rest of the season, in the playoffs the defense bailed them out many of times, much like steelers offense had to be bailed out in 2008.

Do some freaking research before you challenge someone about things you think you know

ZoneBlitzer
09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
The reason Dixon is in there is evade the pass rush when the blocking breaks down. He offers the Steelers the best option on that front when in comparison to Batch who would just get killed. However, Dixon, showed very little elusiveness. His throwing, on occasion, was absolutely dreadful.

The thing with Batch is that is arm isn't what it used to be. He can read better than Dixon obviously but can he deliver it anymore? From what I've seen in recent history, I'd have to say no. Part of me wants to see Batch in there to just hand it off and run play-action but then I have to remind myself that his talent level is on the other side of the bell curve way on the down side when it comes to making the throws that are required.

Dixon's problem are all mental. As a pro-athlete, he is obviously in his infancy. He needs to bear down and just do it. Hopefully this experience will help develop him a bit. I think all of this should emphasize just how amazing and remarkable Big Ben was in his rookie season and how bloody hard it is to get a good, reliable QB in this league. When you get one, you hang on to them for dear life.

theplatypus
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Our 3rd string QB was 18-26 for 256 in his 2nd NFL start and you're calling for his head?

stb_steeler
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Good point.... I think they limited him to what he could have done with his legs, but your right they played it conservatively.

SteelKnight
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Our 3rd string QB was 18-26 for 256 in his 2nd NFL start and you're calling for his head?

I don't care about the stats. I saw the game. Our offense was severely limited because of Dixon and you know it. Even when they made it easy for im and all he had to do was make short throws on third down, he was botching them. He personally killed like the first 4 drives.

It feels weird to ave a whole team ready to play and have one guy hold you back.

Now...he did admit to being "excited" so if that's it and he can shake it off, fine but I don't want another game like that. Usually you need more than 9 points to stay in the game. Maybe Batch should play 3rd downs for him. lol

I'll admit the reason he is not prepared is because he seldom got to play with the first team during the preseason ...in the games or in practice. I didn't like how the Steelers handled preseason. They were more worried about getting wins for confidence than developing Dixon. When he was in there, they could have unleashed him and let him make his mistakes but instead they were handing it off 7 times in a row to people like Justin Vincent who they knew had no chance to make the team.

I wanted Dixon to have his oops moments in preseason and learn but maybe they thought that would affect his confidence too muc.

I don't mind giving im one more shot...and I hope you guys are right and he can step up. If Leftwich came back though, I'd definitely play him.

theplatypus
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't care about the stats. I saw the game. Our offense was severely limited because of Dixon and you know it. Even when they made it easy for im and all he had to do was make short throws on third down, he was botching them. He personally killed like the first 4 drives.

You must have wanted to end it all after Ben's first few starts.

SteelKnight
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
You must have wanted to end it all after Ben's first few starts.

No...for Ben I thought we were developing a QB for the future so it was OK. If I thought Dixon was going to be our QB of the future, I wouldn't complain at all. In fact, I'd give up a whole season to let him learn "growing pains" and hope we'd be better next year.

This is not the case.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow I thought it would be closer then that

DanRooney
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Ben has never looked that clueless on the field. The amount of catering we had to do with Dixon was ridiculous. Not only did we have to run the ball heavily, but we had to design routes where our receivers had to cross right in front of him because he was unable to make throws along the sideline. Ben has always been a high risk, high reward quarterback. Dixon is playing a low risk, no reward game that somehow turns risky because he can't throw.

I will say that we need to stick with Dixon even though he's hindering the team. Batch will not play any better.

I'm praying we beat Tennessee and expecting to beat Tampa. No way in hell we beat Baltimore with Dixon.

SteelKnight
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow I thought it would be closer then that

People are feeling euphoria from the win. I was shocked to see Dixon had 26 pass attempts. It felt more like 15. I wish I could find out how many of the 4/14 3rd downs were pass attempts.

Dixon is just nervous and afraid to throw a pick. He still looks down his receiver. With a better secondary, those will be picks.

The only way to make Dixon better is to increase the called passes more but have more roll-outs and have Dixon run about 1/3 of the time. That would make them nervous.

finesward
09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
He won that ring as a back up to Favre. 1987 Ditka had enough of him, and even the president was pissed off at him, so they traded him to the chargers, when the chargers were in a rut. The players and coaches hated him, during the next season, he was still an asshole, and he played medicore, similar to his medicore playing in chicago. And was sat for the final 5 games of the season, released after the season. Went to philly to be a back up, and nothing more. No one wanted to start him.

Winning a superbowl ring as a backup doesn't make you good in anyway. For Favre got a long with him and requested he'd stay the backup there when he arrived in Greenbay. He retired after winning the ring. Not after disrespecting the packers by wearing his bears jersey to the white house, though he said it was because he never got tot he white house as a bear because the trip was cancelled, it was unexcepted, and packers probably were going to trade him, and to not go though that again, he just retired.

Oh and his key to winning for the bears in 1985 season wasn't that big, the bears had a huge offense at the begining of the season, but it completely died out the rest of the season, in the playoffs the defense bailed them out many of times, much like steelers offense had to be bailed out in 2008.

Do some freaking research before you challenge someone about things you think you know

:popcorn::thumbsup: