PDA

View Full Version : Hampton and Starks

desertsteel
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know the extent of their injuries? Any others banged up. I hate to see these injuries in game 1... they start adding up quick...

Sorry if a thread has already been posted on this... didn't see one.

StainlessStill
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know the extent of their injuries? Any others banged up. I hate to see these injuries in game 1... they start adding up quick...

Sorry if a thread has already been posted on this... didn't see one.

I know they said Hampton had a Hammy ( no pun intended) and Starks has a high ankle sprain. I don't think anything else was reported. Might get more Tues with Tomlin's news conference.

jjpro11
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
the high ankle sprain will knock Starks out for a few weeks.. i'd imagine they will try to get him back after the bye.. but you can't rush these things, high ankle sprains can get re-aggravated really quick.. how soon they try to rush him back will probably have to do with how well the line holds up in his absence.

the hammy could linger with Hampton the entire season. hamstring pulls can get re-aggrivated even easier than high ankle sprains. both injuries suck.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
The one plus about Hampton's injury is the most running he does is on and off of the field. The hamstring may hinder his ability to fire out but I feel more comfortable with a nose tackle whose hammie is only say 75% than I would with any other position on the field.

mesaSteeler
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Casey Hampton, Max Starks
9/12/2010 6:06 PM ET By J.J. Cooper
o J.J. Cooper
o NFL Writer
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/12/steelers-suffer-big-injuries-to-pair-of-big-men/

The Steelers were already playing without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and right tackle Willie Colon. Now they are having to scramble to fill two more big holes.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton left the game in the first half with a hamstring injury. Then in the third quarter, left tackle Max Starks hobbled off the field with an injured ankle that he sustained when a Falcons' defensive lineman accidentally rolled into it.

The Steelers are better equipped to handle Hampton's injury. His backup, Chris Hoke, is an nine-year veteran who has played well whenever he's been called on to fill in for Hampton. Pittsburgh's biggest problem is that there is no other true nose tackle on the active roster, so Pittsburgh will have to decide whether to use Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason as fill-in backups or find someone on the waiver wire to serve as Hoke's backup.

At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo.

Pittsburgh could also turn to Tony Hills, a more natural left tackle, if Starks is out for any length of time. But Hills has only good preseason work on his resume -- he's played in only one regular season game.

MasterOfPuppets
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
they freakin kept hills on the roster for a reason.. if your not good enough to be a backup and play in real games when needed , then you shouldn't be on the roster. :banging:

lionslicer
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
"At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo."

How does someone not have starting experience but are also the worst starters in the league...

figg
09-12-2010, 10:18 PM
At one point in the game they showed Hampton talking to Colon and it looked like he said he wasnt playing next week. I'm no professional lip reader but thats what it looked like to me.

AndyWitmyer
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
"At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo."

How does someone not have starting experience but are also the worst starters in the league...

Re-read that. The man does have some starting experience. Apparently he just sucks.

SteelKnight
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
the high ankle sprain will knock Starks out for a few weeks.. i'd imagine they will try to get him back after the bye.. but you can't rush these things, high ankle sprains can get re-aggravated really quick.. how soon they try to rush him back will probably have to do with how well the line holds up in his absence.

the hammy could linger with Hampton the entire season. hamstring pulls can get re-aggrivated even easier than high ankle sprains. both injuries suck.

That hamstring injury is Hampton's fault for either being poorly conditioned or not doing appropriate warm ups. It can happen to anyone but being poorly conditioned doesn't help. Hoke looked fine. How long he will be out depends on the severity no miss(if Tomlin doesn't mind him skipping practice) to 6 weeks. The fact that he was walking and not in critches leads me to believe it is not a third degree so we are talking zero to 3 weeks. I don't think they will be in any rush to get him back so I would guess he misses 1 week.

I guess Tony Hills is going to get his dream start. I think he'll be fine.

lionslicer
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Re-read that. The man does have some starting experience. Apparently he just sucks.

dyslexia, sorry it happens..

Atlanta Dan
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Adam Schefter says Starks is out for a month, which sounds about right to me
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/statuses/24391212533

Fire Arians
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM

hopefully my boy tony hills can step up and take the spot

steeltheone
09-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Damn it...that hurts.

Fire Arians
09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Damn it...that hurts.

If Hills stays healthy it could possibly be an upgrade. Hills was handling dudes in preseason that starks was struggling against. The big question about hills though is he can go through a season without getting banged up. He made it through preseason so that's a start.

kirklandrules
09-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm always a supporter of someone on the team until they show me they suck. So I'm excited to see what Hills can do. I thought he was good coming out of college and thought he'd be a great addition to the team. Here's your chance Hills!

I'd rather have Big Snack, but Hoake has been a rock in replacement. He certainly did his job yesterday. The hamstring is essential in the type of pushing a NT will do. There's no getting around it if it's not 100% and you don't want to send a 350 + lbs guy out with a hammy that is less than 100% or you run the risk of season ending injuries (you could go from a strain to a pull to a tear in a hurry).

MasterOfPuppets
09-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) starting left tackle Max Starks (http://www.nfl.com/players/maxstarks/profile?id=STA603966) will miss four weeks with a high ankle sprain, a league source said Monday.
Starks suffered the injury during the third quarter of Sunday's 15-9 overtime victory over when an Atlanta Falcons (http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL) defender fell on the lineman's right leg. Starks was replaced by fifth-year veteran Jonathan Scott (http://www.nfl.com/players/jonathanscott/profile?id=SCO402822).
Starks was seen in a protective boot following the game.
"I've had this happen before, so it's nothing new," Starks told the Beaver County Times (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/september/12/starks-injury-means-more-changes-for-line.html). “Hopefully it'll heal fast and it's nothing more than a week. It could have been a lot worse and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm going to do everything they tell me to do to make sure I'm ready to go as soon as possible.”
:doh:

ricardisimo
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
If there is re-shuffling to be done, I would have to imagine that they will be regretting losing Urbik... unless, somehow, he just really, really sucked.

I'd rather have Big Snack, but Hoake has been a rock in replacement. He certainly did his job yesterday.
Hoke is quality, no doubt. I remember reading one little sidelight about him, where I think the Steelers were undefeated (or nearly so) in games he started... which obviously doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but he's clearly not losing games for us when his number gets called.

Fire Arians
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
If there is re-shuffling to be done, I would have to imagine that they will be regretting losing Urbik... unless, somehow, he just really, really sucked.

he just really, really sucked. He couldn't even beat out ramon foster or essex, he has no place on this team.

as a 3rd round pick with a few years under his belt, if you can't even beat out an undrafted rookie or trai esSUCKS then that's pretty sad

PhantomJB93
09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Any news on Hampton? Starks being out is one thing but the oline was in shambles already so Im not as worried, but if Hampton is out for a significant period of time Id start getting pretty worried, he's the anchor of our defense and although he might not be as significant a loss as Troy he's probably the second or third most vital player this defense cant afford to lose...

wootawnee
09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Hoke is like Favre.......an IronMan............Has he ever been hurt......

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Any news on Hampton? Starks being out is one thing but the oline was in shambles already so Im not as worried, but if Hampton is out for a significant period of time Id start getting pretty worried, he's the anchor of our defense and although he might not be as significant a loss as Troy he's probably the second or third most vital player this defense cant afford to lose...

I disagree. Sure the NT is the anchor but Hoke always does fine. I'd be more concerned about losing (right now) 1.Troy, 2. Harrison 3. Woodley 4. Ike Taylor 5.B Mac 6.Ryan Clark 7.Timmons

As long as he's back before the Baltimore game, we should be straight.

Again, not that the NT isn't important. It's just that Hoke does a fine job.

Hampton will be lucky if he doesn't get any rolling of the eyes. He didn't take training camp seriously and kept saying it was for rookies. Maybe he should have focused on conditioning.