PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed is very annoying

LVSteelersfan
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
That miss of what should have been an easy field goal should tell people that he needs to be replaced next year. He almost cost us yet another game. And don't tell me he hit that 50 yarder earlier. So what? He needs to be money under pressure like so many people on this forum say that he is and he blew it. And then he follows it up later with a kickoff that didn't make the 10 yard line and the returner got a running start at the worst possible time. Thank god for the defense holding the Falcons in OT. I had that sick feeling I kept getting last year at the end of games.

hammy36
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Sorry but a 40 yard fg at the open end of heinz is anything but an "easy" field goal. Don't forget that Mr. Reed was the only one scoring for us today and the 53 so what yarder was clutch...not to mention 1/3 of what kept us in the game. I can understand the frustration for sure but calling for a guys head in that circumstance is jumping the gun a tad don't ya think. Why not call out the O for not getting that first down to keep the drive going and allow for a shorter try?

Haiku_Dirtt
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry but a 40 yard fg at the open end of heinz is anything but an "easy" field goal. Don't forget that Mr. Reed was the only one scoring for us today and the 53 so what yarder was clutch...not to mention 1/3 of what kept us in the game. I can understand the frustration for sure but calling for a guys head in that circumstance is jumping the gun a tad don't ya think. Why not call out the O for not getting that first down to keep the drive going and allow for a shorter try?

Concur. When Reed attempted a 52-53 yarder I almost thought it was a ploy. Did they forget that they were at Heinz Field?

Dead center and probably good from 58-59.

lionslicer
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
The offense actually screwed reed on this. Redman was stopped short, but kind of ran more to the right, causes Reed to kick from the right hashmark, which shouldn't matter, but the wind was comming from left to right and when Reed kicked the ball, he can't kick it completely to the left because it will get blocked, kickers have to have some skill at this to not get the ball blocked. The ball went as left as he could get it, but the wind just took it back to the right.

jjpro11
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
that wind was nasty.. don't write him off yet.. he had that bad game in Chicago in week 2 last year and came back strong for the rest of the season.

Merchant
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I thought it was a good kick.. it looked like it was going to go dead centre, then did you see how the wind completely carried it wide right? Hard kick to make with that kind of pressure and wind conditions.

rich4eagle
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
That miss of what should have been an easy field goal should tell people that he needs to be replaced next year. He almost cost us yet another game. And don't tell me he hit that 50 yarder earlier. So what? He needs to be money under pressure like so many people on this forum say that he is and he blew it. And then he follows it up later with a kickoff that didn't make the 10 yard line and the returner got a running start at the worst possible time. Thank god for the defense holding the Falcons in OT. I had that sick feeling I kept getting last year at the end of games.

I agree with assessment of Reed, he lost US a place at playoffs last year with his inablility to slow a runner down. He lost todays game by not making a simple kick and we overshadowed as we won by others which should have not been needed

Reed is liability on this team........and hopefully he will be gone sooner than later:tt04::tt03::tt:

The Lakelander
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow ... no love for Reed.

One thing's for sure ... he's had a few regrettable kicks at clutch moments dating back to the Chicago loss last season ...

LVSteelersfan
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I just don't care much for Reed. So I bash him every time I can. :chuckle:

Actually I know he is going nowhere just like Arians is going nowhere to my chagrin. :banging:

that wind was nasty.. don't write him off yet.. he had that bad game in Chicago in week 2 last year and came back strong for the rest of the season.

tony hipchest
09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree with assessment of Reed, he lost US a place at playoffs last year with his inablility to slow a runner down. ::tt03::tt:what game, exactly, was that? :tap:

ricksteelers55
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I have no problems with finding a replacement next year if we can find a kicker as good or better which should be tough to do.Reed is one of the better kicker in the league although yes he has lost some clutch since last year and his off the field problems are bothering me too.

zulater
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Wow ... no love for Reed.

One thing's for sure ... he's had a few regrettable kicks at clutch moments dating back to the Chicago loss last season ...

I think he might have missed one kick after that the rest of the year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the same happened this year and he runs off about 20 straight. I'm fine with reed as our kicker.

ETL
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Reed is good for the money that we paid him. Not any more!

stb_steeler
09-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Exactly.....some dont realize how bad the wind crosses at the open end of Hienz field. Most kickers know how bad it can be there.

StainlessStill
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!?!? I completley disagree with this post!! If anything, Reed deserves to get his paid contract. The dude has been nothing but money his entire time here and a good field goal kicker is needed on a team like the Steelers who play stout defense and low scoring affairs. Most games are decided by FG's and Jeff Reed has been one of the best kickers in the leauge over the years.

He could of made that 55 yard Field Goal from 65 yards and was a pube away from leaning that sucker in. The wind in Heinz swirls like a bad mother and that 40 some yarder was yanked do to the wind.

If Mendy wouldn't of broken that gorgeous 50 yard run, there's no doubt in my mind that it would of been Reed as the MVP and kicking the game winner.

AndyWitmyer
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!?!? I completley disagree with this post!! If anything, Reed deserves to get his paid contract. The dude has been nothing but money his entire time here and a good field goal kicker is needed on a team like the Steelers who play stout defense and low scoring affairs. Most games are decided by FG's and Jeff Reed has been one of the best kickers in the leauge over the years.

He could of made that 55 yard Field Goal from 65 yards and was a pube away from leaning that sucker in. The wind in Heinz swirls like a bad mother and that 40 some yarder was yanked do to the wind.

If Mendy wouldn't of broken that gorgeous 50 yard run, there's no doubt in my mind that it would of been Reed as the MVP and kicking the game winner.

^^^^This :tt02:

steeltheone
09-13-2010, 02:41 AM
I am fine with him too. Could be much worse.

public - enemy
09-13-2010, 08:55 AM
And Jeff is wondering why he did not got a contract extension. He has been arrested twice in one year and missed to many field goals.

Downbylaw
09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Reed for the most part is money.

public - enemy
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!?!? I completely disagree with this post!! If anything, Reed deserves to get his paid contract. The dude has been nothing but money his entire time here and a good field goal kicker is needed on a team like the Steelers who play stout defense and low scoring affairs. Most games are decided by FG's and Jeff Reed has been one of the best kickers in the league over the years.

Stainless Steel

Who are the steelers competing against for Jeff Reed services?

BritishSteel
09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree with assessment of Reed, he lost US a place at playoffs last year with his inablility to slow a runner down.

I don't remember that game - which one was it? Also, if we're criticising a kicker for his tackling on a player who ran through ten players specifically out there to do exactly that job, I'd humbly suggest that the blame is somewhat misplaced.

Reed might not quite be the kicker he was two or three years ago, but he's still very decent, he's used to the conditions at Heinz (as far as anyone can be) and and if he's replaced then we've got a year of dodgy kicking whilst the new guy gets his head around our maelstrom of a stadium. It's gonna have to happen eventually, but why bring that forward? There are other priorities above Reed.

BlackAndGold4Ever
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Personally I think Jeff is clutch and wouldn’t trade him for any other kicker in the league. Sure he had some off field problems but after dropping Holmes and the Ben situation Im sure he's walking on egg shells. The wind took that kick, you cant be mad about that. BTW, we won... Try to be happy till Sunday at least

Mags87
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Jeff reed was responsible for 9 of our 15 points yesterday. there is a reason that no one likes to kick at Heinz field, especially at that end of the stadium. was i dissapointed when he missed it? yes i was. but i remember last year the Ravens lost to the vikes on a 40 yard field goal attempt in a dome. 40 yards is not a gimme, especially with the game on the line on our field

kirklandrules
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I really don't like Reed and have blasted him enough on these posts. He has the personality of a d-bag. However, I thought that 40 yarder was a tough kick and will not fault him on that miss (nor the 55 yarder). Hate to admit that he's actually a very good fieldgoal kicker. His kickoffs were better yesterday than what he showed the past few years, but it would be nice to have a guy that could put it in the endzone on a more consistent basis. If he keeps kicking like he did yesterday (both fieldgoals and kickoffs), then I'll be happy and say, regardless of his personality, keep putting the franchise tag on him. He's being underpaid with that tag compared to his accuracy.

LVSteelersfan
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Just started this post because I was furious when Troy intercepted that pass and did his job and Mr. towel dispenser puncher whose only job is to kick field goals missed what should have been a gimmee field goal for him since he hit a 52 yarder in the first half. He could have easily cost us that game if the defense wasn't doing their job as well. It seems the only one not doing his job was Reed. He did manage to get some kickoffs into the end zone this time, which is also his job, but there were also some annoyingly short kickoffs as well. I hate it when the other team automatically gets out past the 30 because of Reed's kicks. A good team like the Pats or Colts will be in field goal range in two or three plays from the 35.

Third Rail
09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Sure, it annoyed me that Troy's amazing pick amounted to nothing, thanks to Jeff... but you could also equally blame Dixon for not being able to pass or the RB corps for not making it to the line.

And if it wasn't for Jeff, the Steelers wouldn't have scored. Not once. Not even the Mendenhall TD because we wouldn't have gone into overtime. We would have lost, 0-9.