PDA

View Full Version : interesting Cowher research on Dennis Dixon

tony hipchest
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
in prepping for sundays studio work, cowher asked pat kirwan to bring up the run-pass ratio last year in the games with ben and the 1 game with dixon.

in 15 games w/ben the steelers averaged 38 pass vs 26 run.

in the 1 game with dixon it was flipped- 38 run vs 26 pass.

yesterday dixon had 26 pass.

scsteeler
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
in prepping for sundays studio work, cowher asked pat kirwan to bring up the run-pass ratio last year in the games with ben and the 1 game with dixon.

in 15 games w/ben the steelers averaged 38 pass vs 26 run.

in the 1 game with dixon it was flipped- 38 run vs 26 pass.

yesterday dixon had 26 pass.

Well the head man said he wanted us to run more!

SteelKnight
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Well the head man said he wanted us to run more!

I've never in my life see one statement requoted and rephrased more.

tony hipchest
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
the head man said "more effectively". we did that yesterday with the use of FB, 2XTE and LESS passing.

scsteeler
09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
After looking at the Jets game Dixon seems to be far ahead of Sanchez with his play. I don't know if that is by OC design or Sanchez just taking the check down as soon as possible.

steeltheone
09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Sanchez will get much better once holmes gets in the lineup!

Childers711
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I cannot be optimistic about the current run/pass ratio of the Steelers offense. What we saw Sunday was the team trying to protect Dixon and not make him win the game with quarterback play. When Ben is back, its going to be Air Arians all over again.

On another note, during training camp Arians was quoted as saying, "We don't necessarily want to run the ball more. We just want to do it more effectively." Remember when Cowher re-established the "mind-set"? It takes repitition and commitment to run the ball in the NFL. You can't just decide on a series or a down that we are going to run it effectively right now. You have work to establish the running game. I think when Ben is back, we are going to see a lot of last years same stuff. Maybe a few formations more suited to the run, but still more passing and less effective running as a result.

Downbylaw
09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
May I remind you guys that Dixon has ONLY started 2 NFL games. Mind you I wanted Batch as the starter but I'm not such a Dixon hater that I cant see the facts. If Ben comes back and is rusty you will all say "Oh Ben is just rusty". This may be a fact. Also, a fact is that Dixon is inexperienced and you guys expect him to play like Peyton Manning (who sucked royally his 1st year by the way). Of course we will pass less with Dixon in because AGAIN, this is only his 2nd start. Lastly, look at our record when Ben passes more than 35 times. Its not a good record, in fact its a losing one. Worth noting.

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I cannot be optimistic about the current run/pass ratio of the Steelers offense. What we saw Sunday was the team trying to protect Dixon and not make him win the game with quarterback play. When Ben is back, its going to be Air Arians all over again.

On another note, during training camp Arians was quoted as saying, "We don't necessarily want to run the ball more. We just want to do it more effectively." Remember when Cowher re-established the "mind-set"? It takes repitition and commitment to run the ball in the NFL. You can't just decide on a series or a down that we are going to run it effectively right now. You have work to establish the running game. I think when Ben is back, we are going to see a lot of last years same stuff. Maybe a few formations more suited to the run, but still more passing and less effective running as a result.

I want the Cowher formula. 50/50 in the first half then let the score and how you are doing dictate the second half or at least the 4th quarter. Also Taylor it to attack the defense's weakness. For example, the Ravens have a huge weakness with their pass D (1 corner and Reed out on an already suspect secondary). They are good at stopping the Run. While we should do some running, we should do more passing. 60-40 would be good if we are not too chicken with Dixon. That's how you beat them now. They certainly can't handle 4 WR.

tony hipchest
09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
cowher is 4 seasons removed from the steelers, and im sure never talks to tomlin, which makes it even more remarkable how in tune he still is with this team.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/09000d5d81a7f098/article/six-from-sunday-eagles-face-qb-dilemma-steelers-have-a-plan?module=HP_cp2

2. The Pittsburgh plan

Former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher told me the day after Roethlisberger was suspended that "the Steelers will not let it break them down. They will find a way to win, and they have all summer to get their minds right."

Before Cowher and I sat down Saturday night to discuss what would happen in Pittsburgh's first game without Big Ben, he asked me to bring along the official game book from the Week 12 Steelers-Ravens game in 2009. Inside would be the key to the game plan, Cowher said, and he was right. That game -- a 20-17 Ravens victory in which Roethlisberger sat out with a concussion -- turned out to be the blueprint for Steelers ball without Big Ben.

Dennis Dixon had to play in that Sunday night game last year when Roethlisberger couldn't go, and the offense flipped their run/pass play calls. In the other 15 games last season with Roethlisberger under center, the Steelers averaged 26 runs and 38 passes. In the Ravens game, they ran it 37 times to 26 pass attempts. Pittsburgh revisited that plan in Sunday's win over the Falcons with, you guessed it, 31 runs and 26 passes.

Coach Cowher also pointed out that Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau would turn up the heat even more in an attempt to support the offense. It was LeBeau's pressure on Sunday in a 15-9 victory in OT against Atlanta -- two sacks, an interception and lots of heat that stuffed the run down to 2.3 yards per carry -- that gave Pittsburgh's offense the little bit of breathing room it needed.

cubanstogie
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM

I say give Arians a chance this year. Last year we could not convert on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. It was nauseating how many times we were stuffed when we tried to run and then we had to pass on short yardage or even trick plays. I don't think he had a choice. IMO we didn't give up last year we had no alternative. Game 1 to me was huge improvement over last year. I will be first to admit this year if he falls in love with pass. Believe me I wan't to run but not go 3 and out all game running. You have to change things if they aren't working or you will be deemed insane. I think Arians was in a no win situation last year . I don't think we would have fared much better had we ran more with the o line as poor as it was. I am not saying Arians is in upper echelon of OC's at this point, but I am willing to give him a chance. Not that what I say matters, just a matter of perspective.