PDA

View Full Version : Willie McGinest cut?

hardwork
03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
The word is the Patriots will cut Willie McGinest this afternoon. That means, among other things, that Ty Law, Lawyer Maloy, and Willie McGinest, will all be on the street. Now, the Browns are in a good position right now. Could all 3 of these guys end up playing for Romeo again?

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
just when you think w. mac is washed up he goes out and has a 4 1/2 sac game. it almost seems certain the browns is his best fit.

hardwork
03-02-2006, 03:53 PM
just when you think w. mac is washed up he goes out and has a 4 1/2 sac game. it almost seems certain the browns is his best fit.

Yeah. Of course we don't know but I think he's got a couple of years left in him, even though he's 34/5. The Browns want to go young naturaly but why not take McGinest and have him help bring the kids along, plus give you what he can as a player.

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I think the Paty's will try to resign him like they did with Troy Brown.

hardwork
03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I think the Paty's will try to resign him like they did with Troy Brown.

Who are the Patys? Never heard of them. I've heard of a Paty wagon where I suspect you've spent a lot of time.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Who are the Patys? Never heard of them. I've heard of a Paty wagon where I suspect you've spent a lot of time.

you mean paddy wagon?

paddy wagon

NOUN: Slang A van used by police for taking suspects into custody.

hardwork
03-02-2006, 08:05 PM
you mean paddy wagon?

paddy wagon

NOUN: Slang A van used by police for taking suspects into custody.

No, what I mean is, who gives a shit? But thank you, I can rest tonight knowing you know about paty wagons.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
No, what I mean is, who gives a shit? But thank you, I can rest tonight knowing you know about paty wagons.

kinda sucks when your feeble attempt to be the spelling and grammar police blows up in your face huh? id be upset too if i looked like such a fool. :sofunny:

3 to be 4
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
uh-oh, another thread is going down the crapper

hardwork
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
kinda sucks when your feeble attempt to be the spelling and grammar police blows up in your face huh? id be upset too if i looked like such a fool. :sofunny:

To be the spelling and grammar police? Lol, what a nerd. Get a life.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM

i guess if this wasnt a feeble attempt at being the spelling and grammar police it was an extreme show of wit that flew over EVERYBODYS head. lol

sure did backfire didnt it? :sofunny:

(i think hardwork is a crabby paty!) LMAO!

hardwork
03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't think you're trying hard enough.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think you're trying hard enough.

you mean like saying fitzpatrick scored a 50 on his wonderlic, didnt get drafted, and then saying youve heard of a paty wagon before? LMAO!

great that you dont have to try at all to be stupid huh?

hardwork
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
You're looking dumber and more foolish with every post hipchest.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
I've heard of a Paty wagon where I suspect you've spent a lot of time.

:sofunny: LMAO :sofunny:

im sorry....who were you saying was looking stupid?

hardwork
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
No need to be sorry Tony. We understand.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
No need to be sorry Tony. We understand.

lol! im so greatful all the patfans on this patriots message board are so understanding. im probably better served finding a steelers board so i can post with my own kind and "we" can ridicule you in unison like you "all" have done here.:sofunny:

delusional and schitzophrenic- HW and his boys sure take the cake:rolleyes:

hardwork
03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
lol! im so greatful all the patfans on this patriots message board are so understanding. im probably better served finding a steelers board so i can post with my own kind and "we" can ridicule you in unison like you "all" have done here.:sofunny:

delusional and schitzophrenic- HW and his boys sure take the cake:rolleyes:

I still don't think you try hard enough hipchest. Keep trying though.

tony hipchest
03-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I still don't think you try hard enough hipchest. Keep trying though.

ZZZZZZZOWNEDZZZZZZZZ

augustashark
03-03-2006, 01:02 AM
(i think hardwork is a crabby paty!) LMAO!

Ahhhhh thats funny! Tony, you either have young kids or you have loads of free time on your hands. Oh screw it what am I talking about I love spongebob!:sofunny:

3 to be 4
03-03-2006, 01:59 AM
hear the flush, thread is going down

Livinginthe past
03-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Yep quite correct.

You know what would really help?

Posters could stop using the terms 'patsies', 'patsy's', 'pathetic pansy assed Pastys' in threads that aren't supposed to be smack. Personally, it doesnt bother me, but it does show a lack of respect and this is often where most threads go 'down the crapper'

As I said before, its exactly like me prefacing every post with "The Stoolers.......etc etc"

Also, certain posters keep bringing the content of one thread into another, especially personal vendetta's, which is great if you enjoy reading this stuff in every thread.

Not so good if you dont.

Now, dont get me wrong, I am not telling anyone what to do - im just saying you could quickly find this whole forum become a cess pit of abuse if this sort of behaviour continues.

NM

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Yep quite correct.

You know what would really help?

Posters could stop using the terms 'patsies', 'patsy's', 'pathetic pansy assed Pastys' in threads that aren't supposed to be smack. Personally, it doesnt bother me, but it does show a lack of respect and this is often where most threads go 'down the crapper'

As I said before, its exactly like me prefacing every post with "The Stoolers.......etc etc"

Also, certain posters keep bringing the content of one thread into another, especially personal vendetta's, which is great if you enjoy reading this stuff in every thread.

Not so good if you dont.

Now, dont get me wrong, I am not telling anyone what to do - im just saying you could quickly find this whole forum become a cess pit of abuse if this sort of behaviour continues.

NM you are a little to quick to pin everything on steelerfans and especially suit when inflamitory remarks like this from hardwork get it going (fine example of a lack of respect and a personal vendetta against someone who lives in mass. but roots for the steelers):

Re: 2006-2007? The Patriots will do it again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head
Will not happen! And yes I'm willing to put money on that!

I could care less what anyone who lives in Mass. and roots for a team other then the Patriots thinks. You're worse then those who live here but root for the Yankees. Hey, do you root for the Taliban to?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HW is one of the least respectful posters on this board so dont make him out to be some poor innocent victim.

Livinginthe past
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
you are a little to quick to pin everything on steelerfans and especially suit when inflamitory remarks like this from hardwork get it going (fine example of a lack of respect and a personal vendetta against someone who lives in mass. but roots for the steelers):

Re: 2006-2007? The Patriots will do it again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head
Will not happen! And yes I'm willing to put money on that!

I could care less what anyone who lives in Mass. and roots for a team other then the Patriots thinks. You're worse then those who live here but root for the Yankees. Hey, do you root for the Taliban to?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HW is one of the least respectful posters on this board so dont make him out to be some poor innocent victim.

I am not trying to make anyone out to be an innocent victim - HW has shown himself more than capable of looking after himself in smack related threads.

It was just an observation - alot of posters seem to think that they will get a rational response if they use the term 'patsies' everytime they refer to the Patriots.

As I said - I dont care either way.

Its a Steeler forum so maybe you should be trying to set a better example, unless you are happy with every thread disappearing down the crapper?!

NM

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
HW has shown himself more than capable of looking after himself in smack related

Its a Steeler forum so maybe you should be trying to set a better example, unless you are happy with every thread disappearing down the crapper?!

NM

had to laugh at the 1st sentence.

so youre suggesting i turn the other cheek? sorry i dont play like that.

and please show me where EVERY thread has disappeared down the crapper. i bet you cant.

"hot air?"

if the steelerfans in this forum dont like me putting a jack-assed patfan in his rightful place by calling him out for his idiot remarks (see paty wagon) im sure they will collectively shoot me a pm and i will gladly cease. until then i will cary on.

Livinginthe past
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
had to laugh at the 1st sentence.

so youre suggesting i turn the other cheek? sorry i dont play like that.

and please show me where EVERY thread has disappeared down the crapper. i bet you cant.

"hot air?"

if the steelerfans in this forum dont like me putting a jack-assed patfan in his rightful place by calling him out for his idiot remarks (see paty wagon) im sure they will collectively shoot me a pm and i will gladly cease. until then i will cary on.

You misunderstood.

When I said the bit about every thread disappearing down the crapper _ I was of course referring to the future - unless you own a DeLorean I dont see how we can affect the past.

My point was - there are plenty of threads where you and HW can go at it - but we are losing the original content of each thread it happens on.

If everyone is happy with that then fine.

Its a Steeler forum - I would have thought it would be in everyones interest to have a few more threads that dont contain smack.

I know I am guilty of this at times - im sure other people find it a little tedious to read my dialogies with Suitanim.

But then I spent a large amount of time trying to ignore him so this exact situation didnt arise.

NM

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
You misunderstood.

When I said the bit about every thread disappearing down the crapper _ I was of course referring to the future - unless you own a DeLorean I dont see how we can affect the past.

My point was - there are plenty of threads where you and HW can go at it - but we are losing the original content of each thread it happens on.

If everyone is happy with that then fine.

Its a Steeler forum - I would have thought it would be in everyones interest to have a few more threads that dont contain smack.

I know I am guilty of this at times - im sure other people find it a little tedious to read my dialogies with Suitanim.

But then I spent a large amount of time trying to ignore him so this exact situation didnt arise.

NM ok then re- read posts 1-4 in this thread. started off fine, then someone got extremely sensitive over the term "patys" in post #5. (it just doesnt seem to have the same negative connotation or sting to it as say, the "n" word.)

me? i simply found humor in the term "paty wagon"

you know i simply like to spread humor and cheer on these boards :cool: and make people smile or laugh.

"unless you are happy with every thread disappearing down the crapper?!" i can see where the term "disappearing" could have either a present or future connotation. it was a 50/50 determination of what you actually meant.

Livinginthe past
03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
ok then re- read posts 1-4 in this thread. started off fine, then someone got extremely sensitive over the term "patys" in post #5. (it just doesnt seem to have the same negative connotation or sting to it as say, the "n" word.)

me? i simply found humor in the term "paty wagon"

you know i simply like to spread humor and cheer on these boards :cool: and make people smile or laugh.

"unless you are happy with every thread disappearing down the crapper?!" i can see where the term "disappearing" could have either a present or future connotation. it was a 50/50 determination of what you actually meant.

Yeah I know ya like a laugh Tony.

About time we had one of your 'incredible but untrue' storylines in the Blast Furnace no? :sofunny:

NM

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah I know ya like a laugh Tony.

About time we had one of your 'incredible but untrue' storylines in the Blast Furnace no? :sofunny:

NM

you mean like chad johnson extending an invitation to carrot top, to a bengals game, to assist with end zone celebration props? lol. sometimes i kill me.

i did hear carrot top was gonna dye black stripes in his hair for his guest appearance on the sidelines :sofunny:

Livinginthe past
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
you mean like chad johnson extending an invitation to carrot top, to a bengals game, to assist with end zone celebration props? lol. sometimes i kill me.

i did hear carrot top was gonna dye black stripes in his hair for his guest appearance on the sidelines :sofunny:

Yeah!

Thats the stuff.

I know its a bit harder in the offseason, less material etc etc maybe you could scare the Bengal fans witless with something about a totally unrealistic proposed deal involving draft picks and maddox ha ha.

NM

hardwork
03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Boys, boys, boys, can't you all get along? Has our public educational system let us down this badly? Must you hoodlums bandy about terms like "owned" and "punked" as if you just got out of reform school? I understand that the Steelers represent the barbarians and the Patriots are more representative of, say, Athens, but try and curb your pillaging and plundering when you're in the presence of greatness like the Patriots legions.

augustashark
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
patsies!

oops........sorry, last one.....I swear!

3 to be 4
03-03-2006, 08:25 PM
so how about that Willie McGinest situation?!?

tony hipchest
03-03-2006, 08:38 PM
so how about that Willie McGinest situation?!? the steelers are always looking for a player of his calibur at vet minimum to be a role player. he would sign with the pats at minimum before he would do that though. the jets and browns definitely seem like logical choises but like ccsteelhead said this very well could be like t. browns situation last year. i bet brown is glad he didnt take that richer offer in new orleans only to have his new house blown away by a hurricaine.

hardwork
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
McGinest doesn't want to leave, he's said so himself, to his own potential financial detriment. But, there are a lot of teams either playing or moving toward the 3-4. Willie would be a good two year pick up for them. And of course you have Romeo who knows what McGinest brings to the table. One of the things that goes against McGinest with the Patriots is that we don't have to have his leadership skills around. We already have Bruschi, and with Harrison coming back we're strong enough leadership wise on defense both on the field and in the locker room. Although, the younger players do listen to every word Willie says, and they're affraid of what he's going to say if they **** up.

I think it comes down to whether or not McGinest is willing to take the home town discount.

hardwork
03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Browns spend the between 20 and 30 mill they'll have under the cap.

>>"The Browns continue to rebuild their defense, which is why Willie McGinest will get a long look there if he becomes a free agent. Coach Romeo Crennel would like to add a 3-4 outside linebacker/pass-rusher type, and that's McGinest's M.O. They also could seek one in the draft, but if the price is right McGinest would be the kind of upgrade that could get them into the mix in the AFC North. The Browns can afford it, too, because they have more cap room than nearly any other team -- more than $20 million based on a $94.5 million cap and an incredible $30 million if it goes up to $104 million with a CBA extension. Cleveland is hot for Givens, too."<<

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/03/05/players_need_to_know_their_limits/

tony hipchest
03-05-2006, 01:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Browns spend the between 20 and 30 mill they'll have under the cap.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/03/05/players_need_to_know_their_limits/
hopefully it works out as well as all the ravens f.a. acquisitions last year

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 04:06 PM
well i think if he was gonna be cut it wouldve happened. heard him interviewed on sirius thismorning and it sounds like hes there for the long haul. getting cut wasnt even mentionned from what i heard

hardwork
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
well i think if he was gonna be cut it wouldve happened. heard him interviewed on sirius thismorning and it sounds like hes there for the long haul. getting cut wasnt even mentionned from what i heard

What I think was going on was that the Patriots owe him some kind of a bumb that goes against the cap. If the cap doesn't increase they won't be able to pay him and stay under the cap.

Anyway, we shall see what we shall see.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
what suprised me is that the subject never came up, although i missed the 1st 2 or 3 minutes. the conversation was pretty much about next year and their positive outlooks and what they did to overcome things this past year. i think the interviewers were kirwan and cross and they love talking about the cap.

hardwork
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
what suprised me is that the subject never came up, although i missed the 1st 2 or 3 minutes. the conversation was pretty much about next year and their positive outlooks and what they did to overcome things this past year. i think the interviewers were kirwan and cross and they love talking about the cap.

Well, McGinest has said that he wants to stay here. Coming from him you have a tendency to believe it. He's usually not one to put out a bunch of BS.

I think until we know where things are going to stand between the owners and players and all that stuff we can't really expect get a handle on this kind of move. The Patriots don't have to show their hand just yet.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 06:57 PM
if he does get cut you can almost bank on b. parcells being the 1st one to give him a call.

hardwork
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
if he does get cut you can almost bank on b. parcells being the 1st one to give him a call.

No doubt Dallas would be in the hunt. Parcells drafted McGinest.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 07:16 PM
No doubt Dallas would be in the hunt. Parcells drafted McGinest.

yep, i just remembered that with the lavar arrington to dallas talk. i can see mcginest possibly interrested in coaching (dont really know though- j. peppers & m. carthon, makes me think of this) and parcells would give him his best shot to play, tutor their youngsters, and eventually break into coaching

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
bob picozzi and randy cross were talking how the boston globe reported that he was cut right after the owners agreed on the cba due to his 7 mil cap hit. picozzi seemed suprised and that he must not have known it was coming. cross said he mustve had a feeling with a cap # that high. this move could put the patriots some 16-18 mil under the cap

hardwork
03-09-2006, 02:47 PM
bob picozzi and randy cross were talking how the boston globe reported that he was cut right after the owners agreed on the cba due to his 7 mil cap hit. picozzi seemed suprised and that he must not have known it was coming. cross said he mustve had a feeling with a cap # that high. this move could put the patriots some 16-18 mil under the cap

McGinest had to have known it was coming. Doesn't mean that they won't resign him though.

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
sounds like chargers are now in the mix along with browns and cowboys. if winning championships is still important to him he will ask the steelers to take a risk on him at vet minimum as a back up.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
sounds like chargers are now in the mix along with browns and cowboys. if winning championships is still important to him he will ask the steelers to take a risk on him at vet minimum as a back up.

I think you said it a while back - if McGinest is going to play for Vet minimum it wont be outside New England.

He knows NE has been consistently successful for the last 5 years, he knows he can make plenty of money in home town endorsements - unless someone can guarantee him big money and a definite starters role he is staying put.

Incidentally, I think he still has enough gas to play OLB as a starter, but one that needs to be subbed on a fairly regular basis.

Alot may depend on where Vrabel finds himself next year - if he is on the ILB rotation then I think we still got Colvin and McGinest as starting OLB's with Chad Brown and a rookie providing back up.

NM

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
at first i wondered if the pats really wanted to keep this guy why didnt they just re-negotiate his contract. then i realized this was the patriots.

what they are doing is in a sense playing hardball yet allowing willie the courtesy to go out and set his own market and price.

take this scenario: the patriots know that his value to their team and the highest they will pay is 3 mil. why offer him that in a contract re negotiation? they can release him and say the browns, dallas, and san deigo are willing to offer 1.5, 1.9 and 2.6 mil respectively. this give the pats the opportunity to come back with an offer of say 2.7 mil, which he would surely take, or even gamble a bit and offer 2.1 mil which he may take to retire a pat. either way they save .3-.9 mil.

or say he is offered 4, 5, 6, mil. they can offer him the max they had allotted (3 mil). he can take it or leave it and the pats dont look like bad guys for cutting a player. they generously gave him the opportunity to go out and earn more money.

pretty smart on their part. if he goes i dont think they will be sweating it to much. they will just draft his replacement or pick up an even cheaper free agent and demand and expect they pick up the slack or run the risk of getting quickly replaced. some new players actually respond positively to this type of fear based motivation.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
at first i wondered if the pats really wanted to keep this guy why didnt they just re-negotiate his contract. then i realized this was the patriots.

what they are doing is in a sense playing hardball yet allowing willie the courtesy to go out and set his own market and price.

take this scenario: the patriots know that his value to their team and the highest they will pay is 3 mil. why offer him that in a contract re negotiation? they can release him and say the browns, dallas, and san deigo are willing to offer 1.5, 1.9 and 2.6 mil respectively. this give the pats the opportunity to come back with an offer of say 2.7 mil, which he would surely take, or even gamble a bit and offer 2.1 mil which he may take to retire a pat. either way they save .3-.9 mil.

or say he is offered 4, 5, 6, mil. they can offer him the max they had allotted (3 mil). he can take it or leave it and the pats dont look like bad guys for cutting a player. they generously gave him the opportunity to go out and earn more money.

pretty smart on their part. if he goes i dont think they will be sweating it to much. they will just draft his replacement or pick up an even cheaper free agent and demand and expect they pick up the slack or run the risk of getting quickly replaced. some new players actually respond positively to this type of fear based motivation.

The guys who are Patriots vets understand the scenario - the money they save from overpaying certain players goes towards keeping the highest possible quality on the roster.

McGinest understand its not a one man game - and he wouldnt look so good if the Pats weren't so talented on the D-Line.

The D-Line is the only area I think BB will play slightly over market value - he paid a fair chunk of money to keep back-up Jarvis Green last year - possibly as an insurance policy in case Seymour could not or did not return.

As I say, its not like the Pats have a ton of spare cap room at the beginning of the season - they are just trying to share it around to keep the highest quality team on the field.

It helps get this point across when your QB and team leader voluntarily takes less than he could have commanded on the open market.

NM

hardwork
03-10-2006, 12:06 AM
The guys who are Patriots vets understand the scenario - the money they save from overpaying certain players goes towards keeping the highest possible quality on the roster.

McGinest understand its not a one man game - and he wouldnt look so good if the Pats weren't so talented on the D-Line.

The D-Line is the only area I think BB will play slightly over market value - he paid a fair chunk of money to keep back-up Jarvis Green last year - possibly as an insurance policy in case Seymour could not or did not return.

As I say, its not like the Pats have a ton of spare cap room at the beginning of the season - they are just trying to share it around to keep the highest quality team on the field.

It helps get this point across when your QB and team leader voluntarily takes less than he could have commanded on the open market.

NM

That's right. No hard feelings here towards McGinest, or from McGinest, if he doesn't sign with the Patriots again. Good for him if he can get more elsewhere, and I mean that sincerely. Everybody who plays for the Patriots knows the story. As I said in another thread, except for Lawyer Malloy none of the players who have left have shown any animosity towards there former employer.