PDA

View Full Version : Should our LT and RT swap?

ricardisimo
09-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Jonathan Scott is our default left tackle for the next two-four weeks while Starks recuperates, although most of his history in the NFL is as a RT (he didn't exactly shine in Buffalo on the left side). Flozell has been shaky on the right, most likely as much a function of his age as the fact that he has played almost zero time on the right side during his career.

So, the question to all of you gurus and sages is: Should Tomlin, Kugler et al. swap these two for the Tennessee game and beyond?

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2010, 03:24 AM
adams is going to be huge liability in pass protection regardless of what side of the line he's on.... the cowboys let him go for a reason. if essex was good enough to be the top LT backup for the last few years , why not move him to LT and put legurskey or foster at RG ? Its not like essex is kickin ass at guard....:noidea:

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Jonathan Scott is our default left tackle for the next two-four weeks while Starks recuperates, although most of his history in the NFL is as a RT (he didn't exactly shine in Buffalo on the left side). Flozell has been shaky on the right, most likely as much a function of his age as the fact that he has played almost zero time on the right side during his career.

So, the question to all of you gurus and sages is: Should Tomlin, Kugler et al. swap these two for the Tennessee game and beyond?

Hills will likely get the start since all he does is play LT. He is the 2nd string LT. Scott will continue to play the roll of active non starter who can replace either side.

I think it is a mistake to switch because we have to get Flozelle used to playing the right side. In a game he might learn the left but then when Ben and Starks come back, he will have to learn the right side again. The way it is now, I think as the season goes on, Flozelle will get better on the right.

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM
adams is going to be huge liability in pass protection regardless of what side of the line he's on.... the cowboys let him go for a reason. if essex was good enough to be the top LT backup for the last few years , why not move him to LT and put legurskey or foster at RG ? Its not like essex is kickin ass at guard....:noidea:

Essex has been doing pretty well at RG.

tony hipchest
09-14-2010, 08:46 AM
while the stfu option was compelling i went with "dont tinker"Essex has been doing pretty well at RG.

what do they say? you only good as your last play? he put a man on his ass to help spring mendenhall for his OT winning run.

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 08:54 AM
while the stfu option was compelling i went with "dont tinker"

what do they say? you only good as your last play? he put a man on his ass to help spring mendenhall for his OT winning run.

They keep saying he sucks but the O-line depends on each other and with a weak center, you can't block your guy at RG effectively. Now that Pouncey is there, he should be able to hold his own and he appears to be doing just that. The fact is, he outplayed Pouncey for RG so he is doing something right.

I like our O-line now.

One thing people keep misunderstanding about the tackles is when they use the phonebooth and push players pass the QB. That's normal. If the middle of the pocket is solid, the QB steps up and the players go past, sometimes on the floor and the quarterback better get that ball out in the next couple of seconds. When the center is weak, the middle collapses and the QB runs into the guy being pushed wide. It makes the tackle look worse than he is. For this reason, I think Pouncey helps both tackles too.

Downbylaw
09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Scott did a pretty good job at LT. Starks had volunteered to switch with Flozell and let Flo play LT but the coaches wouldnt allow it. So that means Flozell is staying at RT. Our line is fine and MEAN. I like the double team block that Essex and Kemo put on a DLineman, they knocked him silly and kept driving him after the whistle. LOVE IT

thebus36idf
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
about your link. Maybe you should save that for another forum, another place!! I'll pray for you my fellow Steeler fan.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
We might not have to do any swapping.

“Max Starks has an inversion ankle sprain, which in layman’s terms is a low ankle sprain,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I know it was reported as a high ankle sprain, that report was inaccurate. It’s a low ankle sprain. I saw him this morning, he appears to be doing better, he might be able to do something the latter part of the week and make himself available to us in this football game.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Some-good-news-on-injury-front/0e38c9c4-e49f-4a08-aa45-7820a95854b2

Still available does not necessarily mean start. I gues we'll see later on this week.

ricardisimo
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
about your link. Maybe you should save that for another forum, another place!! I'll pray for you my fellow Steeler fan.
About your post... you can complain to me in a PM and not in a Steelers thread. Keep on praying, though, if that's what floats your boat. :wave:

ricardisimo
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Hills will likely get the start since all he does is play LT. He is the 2nd string LT. Scott will continue to play the roll of active non starter who can replace either side.

I think it is a mistake to switch because we have to get Flozelle used to playing the right side. In a game he might learn the left but then when Ben and Starks come back, he will have to learn the right side again. The way it is now, I think as the season goes on, Flozelle will get better on the right.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would Hills likely get the start if Scott is the first person they put in? My guess is you play the next person in line, whatever the situation, which means Scott was next in line, they played him and will continue to do so until he's no longer "next in line." No? If Hills was 2nd string LT he would have gone in after Starks, seems to me.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would Hills likely get the start if Scott is the first person they put in? My guess is you play the next person in line, whatever the situation, which means Scott was next in line, they played him and will continue to do so until he's no longer "next in line." No? If Hills was 2nd string LT he would have gone in after Starks, seems to me.
unless of course hills didn't dress for the game.
they only dress 7 olinemen for the game. so the 2 backups need to be able to cover all 5 positions. legursky covers center and both guard position. scott can play tackle or guard.
legursky gets to dress over foster because he's more flexible, but if kemo goes down, foster will start instead of legurskey.
it may be the same with hills / scott

ricardisimo
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
unless of course hills didn't dress for the game.
they only dress 7 olinemen for the game. so the 2 backups need to be able to cover all 5 positions. legursky covers center and both guard position. scott can play tackle or guard.
legursky gets to dress over foster because he's more flexible, but if kemo goes down, foster will start instead of legurskey.
it may be the same with hills / scott
Well, consider me schooled, sensei. Thank you.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Well, consider me schooled, sensei. Thank you.
i'm not stating it as fact, i'm just saying this could be the case.... maybe scott will get the nod..:noidea:

Downbylaw
09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
i'm not stating it as fact, i'm just saying this could be the case.... maybe scott will get the nod..:noidea:

It's not the case. Scott is starting, He did a fine job while in there and is being rewarded with a start if Starks cant go.

thebus36idf
09-14-2010, 11:26 PM
About your post... you can complain to me in a PM and not in a Steelers thread. Keep on praying, though, if that's what floats your boat. :wave:

wasn't a complaint just a suggestion. I'll do just that, and not to float my boat.
Go Steelers.

ricardisimo
09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I wasn't being a smatypants, by the way. I just hadn't considered that scenario at all.

That said, it appears that, in fact, Hills is an emergency backup only, and not the new LT:

"He [Starks] might be able to do something in the latter part of the week and may be able to make himself available in this football game," Tomlin said. "Hopefully, that's the case; if not, we're very comfortable with Jonathan Scott. He's been a big addition to our outfit, and we expect him to play great ball if Max is unavailable."
That settled who will start if Starks cannot, and Tomlin asserted that Flozell Adams will not be moved there.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10258/1087553-66.stm#ixzz0zdMmZFeM

MasterOfPuppets
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
I wasn't being a smatypants, by the way. I just hadn't considered that scenario at all.

That said, it appears that, in fact, Hills is an emergency backup only, and not the new LT:

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10258/1087553-66.stm#ixzz0zdMmZFeM

i didn't take it that you were ... i just wanted to add a disclaimer, so i didn't come off as a " know it all ", since i was only speculating.
some people around here would be wise to do the same.

ricardisimo
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
i didn't take it that you were ... i just wanted to add a disclaimer, so i didn't come off as a " know it all ", since i was only speculating.
some people around here would be wise to do the same.
Hey!! I know you're talking about me! Can I help it if I so much gooder and more smarter than all of you dumb-dumbs? It no my fault.