PDA

View Full Version : Farrior and Smith: Elder statesman of the defense

mesaSteeler
09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Farrior and Smith: Elder statesman of the defense
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/september/14/farrior-and-smith-elder-statesman-of-the-defense.html
By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Beaver County Times

Tuesday September 14, 2010 06:49 AM

James Farrior, Inside linebacker

Farrior on what itís like to be playing in his 14th pro season at age 35

ďIím not getting any younger or faster, but my body feels good. The main thing is keeping yourself healthy and doing things to maintain your body Ö Have I ever thought about retiring? Iíve thought about it the last three or four years. But once you get out there with the guys and coaches, (the thought of retirement) goes away Ö If you donít still have it inside you, if you still donít have that desire to win, you wonít be able to play. You canít fake that. You canít fool anybody Ö The way I see it, Iím chasing (41-year-old) Brett Favre.Ē

Aaron Smith, defensive end

Smith on what itís like playing in his 12th pro season at age 34

ďI feel good, and Iím excited about being out here again. I love playing this game, and I feel blessed to have another opportunity Ö One of the things that allows guys my age to keep playing are all the advances in strength training, conditioning, nutrition, restoration and keeping athletes healthy. Weíve come so far. We understand it so much better Ö Iíd be lying to you if I said I never thought about the day Iíll retire. But right now, Iím just taking it year by year. Let me get through this year first and then Iíll re-evaluate.Ē

steeltheone
09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Farriors last year here. Maybe Smiths too unless he takes a big cut in pay. Both will be remebered well after they are gone!