PDA

View Full Version : Formation Questions

caplovestroyp43
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
OK I listen to Tunch and Bill faithfully and when they are calling plays, because I have no cable and cannot see the formations, could you please tell me the following:

Stretch play
Wild cat
Side Cars
Twins
Banana Bunch
Another one where it sounds like Bill says "The QB looks to me" before making the play

Bubble Screen
Protectors

And I think that should do it! Thanks for any help on this. I appreciate it.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
A stretch play is a wide handoff, usually outside of the tackle. You see it a lot out of a single back formation with the back having the option to cut back inside alot of the time.

Wildecat is a formation where a skill position player like a running back or reciever will line up as the QB and take the snap. Mostly teams will run zone reads and options out of thewild cat but sometimes they will throw. Check out some Miami Dolphins (Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams) highlights for a good example.

Protectors are blockers.

Side cars is usually used to describe a running back(s) that are next to the QB in the shotgun formation.

Twins is usually means two wide recievers split out to one side of the formation.

I think the "QB looks to me" you are talking about is "Check with me" plays. This is when the QB will call two plays in the huddle and decide which one to run at the line of scrimmage based on the opposing defenses formation and personnel.

A bublle screem is kind of hard for me to describe. A wide reciever will "bubble" back behind the line of scrimmage. Heres a video to help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kER5Ds_fqnE

I'm not too sure about a "banana bunch". It may just be the name of our bunch formamation with three recievers together on one side of the ball. (See Nate Washington, Hines Ward and Heath Miller below)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/3158054923_e0587612c8_z.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
the stretch play is where the entire line blocks down in the direction of the play -- i.e. if its a run right, then the o-line from tackle to tackle is basically trying to drive his guy back and right -- with the thought of "stretching" the defensive line laterally. The back gets the handoff relatively deep in the backfield and has the freedom to take whatever hole in the line that presents itself

caplovestroyp43
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks a million for the info! That was quite an education. I appreciate the time you took to explain all that.

Now I'll know what they are talking about!

Again, my thanks to you both. Appreciate it. :hatsoff:

Cap

Hobbes
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes "banana bunch" is pictured above.

stb_steeler
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Hillgrove comes up with some good ones....:tt04: