PDA

View Full Version : What crap is this?!?

California-Steel
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Not that it really means anything but the ESPN power rankings are a joke
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

How can teams that lost be ranked higher than the teams that beat them? What a joke!!

SteelCityMom
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Vikings, Colts and Cowboys are still the sexy picks. They can lose a couple games and still stay on top of the rankings. If they lose a few in a row though, watch them drop down.

And I agree with you....the ESPN rankings are a complete joke.

ricardisimo
09-14-2010, 04:28 PM
In my estimation, Prisco's at CBS are the worst. His teeny little boner for the Bungholes is always peeking out of his fly. ESPN's are bad. I stopped following all of that stuff, but as I recall PFW's tended to be reasonable, somewhat well thought out.

Fire Arians
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
lol i haven't seen a list this inaccurate in my life. i mean for ****s sake.

san francisco rated higher than seattle after they just lost to them like 31-6? not only a loss but a total blowout?
chiefs still ranked much lower than SD who they just beat
redskins beat the cowboys, and are still ranked 6 slots below them lol
colts ahead of the texans?

yeah, it's not an accurate list it's a suck-off fest lol. he's going mainly by reputation and last year's trends forgetting that this is a different season.

texans and chiefs are 2 teams on the up and will probably surprise many

stb_steeler
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
We'll see come playoff time whos what in the NFL= which stands for ( Not For Long) if they keep pickin like this.....

StainlessStill
09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Here's my top 10 picks I just got done putting together:

StainlessStill's Week 1 power rankings:

1. New Orleans Saints: Givin the level of competition vs other teams, New Orleans got the job done against a tough Vikings defense in a close game that could have gone either way. It wasn't the shootout New Orleans fans had hoped, but winning on defense is even prettier sometimes.

2. Houston Texans: The Texans FINALLY made a statement against the team that tormented their division and themselves since their existence. Beating Peyton Manning and Indy was a week 1 must and now it's time to respond the rest of the season rather than winning a game that they treated like a Super Bowl victory. Funny how every team won in the South BUT the Colts.

3. New England Patriots: Granted, it was the Cincinnati Bengals, who I thinks terrible, but Brady looked in mid-season form and Wes Welker got his feet wet early. Jury is still out on their young defense when their challenged but their huge margin of victory can't go unnoticed, esp in Foxboro, which the Pats are pretty much unbeatable.

4. Green Bay Packers: The Pack got off to a rough start but it looks like their defense is finally warming up to a 3-4 defense and they'll only get better. Going on the road to Philly is no easy task and even though Rodgers had a mediocre day, they still found a way to get it done. If they can't keep Rodgers upright, they might stumble later on in the season.

5. Minnesota Vikings: Tough game all around for Minnesota. 3 weeks ago, Brett Favre wasn't even sure his ankle was even 60% healthy and he was riding his lawn mowers on his farm. Going into New Orleans in that environment with no work with the offense whatsoever was so much to ask from Favre, but they brought him back for a reason. Once the season goes on, they'll get back in sync. Their offense misses Sydney Rice badly, but they still have a top 3 defense.

6. Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore has a nice team on paper and their defense played very well and stingy last night against the Jets. Still, as bad as the Jets offense was and the kind of weapons the Ravens have on offense, they still could only manage 10 overall points and got lucky with a running into the kicker penalty for the games only touchdown. That defense was barely challenged so we'll wait until Baltimore faces an offense that could spread them out. Big game next week in Cincy in an AFC North showdown.

7. Indianapolis Colts: Losing a divisional game on the road against a team that is so determined to beat you is tough. Manning and the Colts have been here before and always seem to start off lazy like the Chargers in the WEST. There's no doubt in my mind Manning and company will bounce back from this, but without Peyton, how good are the Colts? Answer: Not good at all.

8. N.Y Jets: What an embarrassing performance offensively. If the Jets want to be taking seriously, then they might want to start getting serious on offense and that's putting more stock into their franchise quarterback. Not gaining 1 single 3rd down until their last ditch effort drive is a major concern for the Jets, who have New England coming up NEXT WEEK. You figure their defense can't be on the field for 50 minutes EVERY game, esp against the hated Patriots.

9. Tennessee Titans: It was the Raiders, but Chris Johnson is such a freak that there's no doubt defensive coordinators hide in a dark corner leading up to game day against this guy. He is on a great start and on pace for his 2,000 yard predicted season. Play action could be huge for this team and TENN could make noise in the AFC this season. They have a tough task against a very tough Pittsburgh defense Sunday at home.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers will be in survival mode until Ben Roethlisberger gets back. That's exactly what they did against a TOUGH Atlanta Falcons team with weaponry. It wasn't pretty, but they sure did survive, playing the kind of defense that stems back to the 70's. If they can ride their defensive coattails and if Mendenhall is up for the task of a heavy workload, then the seat will be warm for Roethlisberger to return.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On the BRINK

11. N.Y Giants: The Giants are the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFC. Out to prove that last season was a fluke after starting the '08 season with a bang then failing to make the playoffs. They made a statement that they can't be overlooked hanging over 30 points on a tough opponent in Carolina. If this team could get it together, watch out.

12. Washington Redskins: The Skins are a completley different team with McNabb under center, but they could be better. Going up against a "powerhouse" like Dallas in the season opener in a rivalry game is a tough task to over come, but they had the home crowd behind them and a little luck in between. Washington will be an interesting team to watch over the coarse of the season in a very tough division.

Up for grabs:

Seattle Seahawks , Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles

Turning some heads:

Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions

Disappointing efforts:

Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49'ers, Oakland Raiders

Work in progress:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, St.Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos

StainlessStill
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM

How can teams that lost be ranked higher than the teams that beat them? What a joke!!

Because it's all percentages. You must take into consideration by where they started before week one, whether they were high or low, then act accordingly on that certain team of that week's result. For instance, your pre-season rankings could have New England at # 1, but if they lose a close game, they may only drop a certain spots while say a team like the Packers who were #8 but won big, will only move up 2-3 spots but won't be enough to overtake New England just yet because of percentages of how a ranking works. That's how I see it and how I've always put together my ranks.

stb_steeler
09-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's my top 10 picks I just got done putting together:

StainlessStill's Week 1 power rankings:

1. New Orleans Saints: Givin the level of competition vs other teams, New Orleans got the job done against a tough Vikings defense in a close game that could have gone either way. It wasn't the shootout New Orleans fans had hoped, but winning on defense is even prettier sometimes.

2. Houston Texans: The Texans FINALLY made a statement against the team that tormented their division and themselves since their existence. Beating Peyton Manning and Indy was a week 1 must and now it's time to respond the rest of the season rather than winning a game that they treated like a Super Bowl victory. Funny how every team won in the South BUT the Colts.

3. New England Patriots: Granted, it was the Cincinnati Bengals, who I thinks terrible, but Brady looked in mid-season form and Wes Welker got his feet wet early. Jury is still out on their young defense when their challenged but their huge margin of victory can't go unnoticed, esp in Foxboro, which the Pats are pretty much unbeatable.

4. Green Bay Packers: The Pack got off to a rough start but it looks like their defense is finally warming up to a 3-4 defense and they'll only get better. Going on the road to Philly is no easy task and even though Rodgers had a mediocre day, they still found a way to get it done. If they can't keep Rodgers upright, they might stumble later on in the season.

5. Minnesota Vikings: Tough game all around for Minnesota. 3 weeks ago, Brett Favre wasn't even sure his ankle was even 60% healthy and he was riding his lawn mowers on his farm. Going into New Orleans in that environment with no work with the offense whatsoever was so much to ask from Favre, but they brought him back for a reason. Once the season goes on, they'll get back in sync. Their offense misses Sydney Rice badly, but they still have a top 3 defense.

6. Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore has a nice team on paper and their defense played very well and stingy last night against the Jets. Still, as bad as the Jets offense was and the kind of weapons the Ravens have on offense, they still could only manage 10 overall points and got lucky with a running into the kicker penalty for the games only touchdown. That defense was barely challenged so we'll wait until Baltimore faces an offense that could spread them out. Big game next week in Cincy in an AFC North showdown.

7. Indianapolis Colts: Losing a divisional game on the road against a team that is so determined to beat you is tough. Manning and the Colts have been here before and always seem to start off lazy like the Chargers in the WEST. There's no doubt in my mind Manning and company will bounce back from this, but without Peyton, how good are the Colts? Answer: Not good at all.

8. N.Y Jets: What an embarrassing performance offensively. If the Jets want to be taking seriously, then they might want to start getting serious on offense and that's putting more stock into their franchise quarterback. Not gaining 1 single 3rd down until their last ditch effort drive is a major concern for the Jets, who have New England coming up NEXT WEEK. You figure their defense can't be on the field for 50 minutes EVERY game, esp against the hated Patriots.

9. Tennessee Titans: It was the Raiders, but Chris Johnson is such a freak that there's no doubt defensive coordinators hide in a dark corner leading up to game day against this guy. He is on a great start and on pace for his 2,000 yard predicted season. Play action could be huge for this team and TENN could make noise in the AFC this season. They have a tough task against a very tough Pittsburgh defense Sunday at home.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers will be in survival mode until Ben Roethlisberger gets back. That's exactly what they did against a TOUGH Atlanta Falcons team with weaponry. It wasn't pretty, but they sure did survive, playing the kind of defense that stems back to the 70's. If they can ride their defensive coattails and if Mendenhall is up for the task of a heavy workload, then the seat will be warm for Roethlisberger to return.

On the BRINK

11. N.Y Giants: The Giants are the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFC. Out to prove that last season was a fluke after starting the '08 season with a bang then failing to make the playoffs. They made a statement that they can't be overlooked hanging over 30 points on a tough opponent in Carolina. If this team could get it together, watch out.

12. Washington Redskins: The Skins are a completley different team with McNabb under center, but they could be better. Going up against a "powerhouse" like Dallas in the season opener in a rivalry game is a tough task to over come, but they had the home crowd behind them and a little luck in between. Washington will be an interesting team to watch over the coarse of the season in a very tough division.

Up for grabs:

Seattle Seahawks , Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles

Turning some heads:

Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions

Disappointing efforts:

Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49'ers, Oakland Raiders

Work in progress:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, St.Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos

I agree with most of your rankings but, DUDE you have us at 10......LoL kidding. I expect us to go higher every year!

StainlessStill
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I agree with most of your rankings but, DUDE you have us at 10......LoL kidding. I expect us to go higher every year!

Trust me my man, they have plenty of time to move up the rank ;) They just need to prove that winning at home was no fluke. We must now go on the road, where a place Dixon's never seen, with that crowd noise and make it happen.

This game is monumental for our team. If we win this, then I say we could be a top 5 team and possibly in the top 3 when Ben comes back. We could be THAT good. Tennessee is a big test and we must show who we are going into a hostile environment and to a place where we don't have much success.

stb_steeler
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
With Timmons coming of age and Pouncey working the front line, we'll be making the grade soon.

toughsticks87
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
At least we can all agree on the 32 spot.

stb_steeler
09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
At least we can all agree on the 32 spot.

There ya go! :applaudit: Well some on here may not...Shhhhh

California-Steel
09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
At least we can all agree on the 32 spot. Yes we can!!! :rofl:

ricardisimo
09-15-2010, 10:36 PM
As I mentioned above, Prisco's ranking are always atrocious, and of course he had to go and prove me right (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13946226/nfl-power-rankings-forecast-so-far-is-mostly-cloudy).

Is he in lust with Carson, or what?

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think the top is that bad and and I don't care about the middle and bottom non- playoff teams.

Here's My Top 15:

1. New Orleans -SB champs are still the team to beat.
2. GB - Rogers still gets nervous at the end of games but hopefully for him, his team can take big leads.
3. New England - So Formidable. No matter what anyone says, the Patriots on te schedule still strikes fear, even if with excitement. If you play the Patriots, your odds of losing is high.
4. Baltimore -They will be potent this year. It is only the Jets' top defense that slowed them down. Cinci this week will define them and show us whether they live up to the paper.
5. Indianapolis -They will recover.
6. Houston -They have potential to be great. Consistency is the key.
7. Pittsburgh - They will be devistating once Ben returns.
8. Chargers - Being handled by the Cheifs shows they still have chokeability.
9. Cowboys -They look so good on paper but potential is not enough.
10. Minnesota -They will stay here until Sidney Rice returns and Farve can shake off the rust.
11. NY Giants - They looked good. Indianapolis this week will show us if they are for real.
12. NY Jets - great defense limited by weak QB. They could get better with Holmes but Sanchez still has to get it to him. Their defense showed some potential weaknesses in Cromartie (gambler) and Wilson. These two need to be tested and they will be this week with New England. They are overhyped. This week will define them.
13. Tennessee -Benless Steelers this week will be a good test for them. Their 31st rank pass defense must be tested by noobie QB Dixon if Seelers want to win.
14. Seatle -looked good albeit against SF. Week 3's game will let us know if they are for real.
15. Altanta -This team is missing something. Very beatable.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 01:35 AM
bump...I want some feedback on my power ranking

steeltheone
09-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Move Philly.Wash and Miami in Tenn, ATL , Sea out

( Jets) Nobody is defined in week two especially after starting out with the Ravens and the Pats

StainlessStill
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't think the top is that bad and and I don't care about the middle and bottom non- playoff teams.

Here's My Top 15:

1. New Orleans -SB champs are still the team to beat.
2. GB - Rogers still gets nervous at the end of games but hopefully for him, his team can take big leads.
3. New England - So Formidable. No matter what anyone says, the Patriots on te schedule still strikes fear, even if with excitement. If you play the Patriots, your odds of losing is high.
4. Baltimore -They will be potent this year. It is only the Jets' top defense that slowed them down. Cinci this week will define them and show us whether they live up to the paper.
5. Indianapolis -They will recover.
6. Houston -They have potential to be great. Consistency is the key.
7. Pittsburgh - They will be devistating once Ben returns.
8. Chargers - Being handled by the Cheifs shows they still have chokeability.
9. Cowboys -They look so good on paper but potential is not enough.
10. Minnesota -They will stay here until Sidney Rice returns and Farve can shake off the rust.
11. NY Giants - They looked good. Indianapolis this week will show us if they are for real.
12. NY Jets - great defense limited by weak QB. They could get better with Holmes but Sanchez still has to get it to him. Their defense showed some potential weaknesses in Cromartie (gambler) and Wilson. These two need to be tested and they will be this week with New England. They are overhyped. This week will define them.
13. Tennessee -Benless Steelers this week will be a good test for them. Their 31st rank pass defense must be tested by noobie QB Dixon if Seelers want to win.
14. Seatle -looked good albeit against SF. Week 3's game will let us know if they are for real.
15. Altanta -This team is missing something. Very beatable.

IMHO, you have a very nice list. After week 1, a lot of people's will look similiar since noone is really busting down the door. The only thing I see is that you have Minnesota WAY too low and givin that S.D got sliced and diced against K.C last week and showed barely any offense or running game (atleast to their potential) I'd rank them slightly lower and maybe move Houston ahead of Indy FOR NOW. Tennessee should be givin the benefit of the doubt, and swap with Dallas for the time being, but other than that, good work.

wootawnee
09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
SPORTING NEWS
has the best power rankings every week.........Seems like everyone else is clueless..........

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Move Philly.Wash and Miami in Tenn, ATL , Sea out

( Jets) Nobody is defined in week two especially after starting out with the Ravens and the Pats

Philly should be interesting. Maybe in a couple of weeks we will know what's up with them.

I'm not sold on Washington yet because they were too arrogant to provide McNabb with some weapons. They should have added TO or Housh. If they handle Houston this weak, they will have earned my respect though.

Miami...IDK. Let's wait for them to play someone good.

Thanks for the feedback.

IMHO, you have a very nice list. After week 1, a lot of people's will look similiar since noone is really busting down the door. The only thing I see is that you have Minnesota WAY too low and givin that S.D got sliced and diced against K.C last week and showed barely any offense or running game (atleast to their potential) I'd rank them slightly lower and maybe move Houston ahead of Indy FOR NOW. Tennessee should be givin the benefit of the doubt, and swap with Dallas for the time being, but other than that, good work.

Thanks for the feedback. When I was reading the rankings, I said I will do my own then I saw you were doing one and I made sure not to read it so I would not be influenced. I just forgot to go back to it. lol I'll r.ead it.

With Minnesota, Farve looked really rusty. Let's see if he can shake it off. Sidney Rice is still out and now Harvin is having hip problems? They may be able to gel after a few weeks and move up on my list but as it is, I feel the 9 teams I put ahead of them would have an edge to beat them.

I watched the whole San Diego game. Receivers kept slipping and dropping the ball. Hopefully for SD it was the rain. In addition, special teams played a big role ...not only for the TD but for field position. I think SD will improve as the season goes on but I agree this is not their year. They will make the playoffs but will choke there.

Tennessee will have their chance to prove their worth this week and in the future. They played Oakland. Maybe that's why they looked so great. I'd like to see their 31st ranked pass defense against a real QB. Unfortunately I won't get to see it this week.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Here's my top 10 picks ...

Good read. I can't skyrocket Houston until they get to 4-0 or something. They have always had good games but they are very inconsistent.

Minnesota may very well be different with Rice. That was a huge blow to lose him. We'll see.

The way I do mine is I think "which team will have more clout come playoff time?". Which team would be more formidable? With the Steelers, this means having Ben back of course. lol

ricardisimo
09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
bump...I want some feedback on my power ranking
I think you have Houston, the Chargers and the Cowgirls all a tad high... move them all down two-three spots. Also, I think either Washington or Miami need to be considered in a Top-15 list at this point, even if at the bottom. Their offenses should get better as the year goes on, and their Ds are solid.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I think you have Houston, the Chargers and the Cowgirls all a tad high... move them all down two-three spots. Also, I think either Washington or Miami need to be considered in a Top-15 list at this point, even if at the bottom. Their offenses should get better as the year goes on, and their Ds are solid.

Thanks. Washington will have a chance to prove themselves this weekend against Houston. I have no idea why they were too arrogant to pick up TO or Housh. McNab needs targets.

Even though the Chargers ave choke-ability, I still think had it not been for they can beat many teams.

You might be right about the Cowboys. They always look so good on paper.

lionslicer
09-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Because they were higher and got knocked down, but not enough to be lower than ten. C'mon atleast the Steelers moved up 8 places.'

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
IMHO, you have a very nice list. After week 1, a lot ....

The two of us should keep up a power ranking of the Top 15 every week. We can call it "Still & Knight's power Rankings". We can each post our own ranking. I guess we've have to do it on the BORING NFL board though...lol ...unless it is called "Where are the Steelers in Still and Knight's ranking? Do you agree?"

I think 15 is a better number than 10 because since 12 make the playoffs, you are more likely to get all the playoff teams in your ranking. You still could miss some if one conference dominates but it increases your odds of getting all 12 that you think will make the playoffs.