PDA

View Full Version : Will we adjust to the defense?

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
The Titans had the 31st pass defense last year...so bad that it made their defense 28th despite having a top 10 run defense (tied for 10th).

So...will we take advantage of this weakness and try to pass against them?...or will we force the run?

Don't get me wrong...I tink we should run a bunch because Dixon is inexperienced but I feel between our 45 and their 30, we should let things loose and pass more...let Dixon take chances.

They should have 2 gameplans...a conservative one and one that attacks the weakness of the defense.

The same can be said for Baltimore's defense in week 4 where the pass is the weakness. Baltimore's run defense is awesome.

Fire Arians
09-14-2010, 04:48 PM
best way is to mix it up of course, but i think we can have success running the ball against the titans. the raiders were moving the ball on the ground vs them easily, but lost because of turnovers and they couldn't stop chris johnson. honestly i think if we can hold CJ to under 100 yards this game is very winnable.

Childers711
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I say take some shots early. CJ is a huge game changer, but maybe they'll get away from the run if we score early. Let Dennis roll out on some play action and let it fly deep to Mike Wallace or Hines a couple of times. We can see how it goes. If the D plays like they did last Sunday, we should be able to endure some early mistakes. :tt03:

tony hipchest
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
there is the wise thing to do. the smart thing to do. the conventional thing to do. the logical thing to do.

expect BA to do the complete opposite to "trick" them.

MACH1
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
there is the wise thing to do. the smart thing to do. the conventional thing to do. the logical thing to do.

QB sneak out of shotgun empty backfield? :chuckle:

SteelKnight
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM

LOL.

Even though I tend to back Arians, I found this absolutely funny.:sofunny:

With Arians, I just feel he never has the tools. First no O-line and now no QB. I can't wait unitl Ben comes back and he has both.

We definitely MUST test the 31st ranked pass defense. If we don't because we are scared, Dixon shouldn't be playing. Let me repeat...31st/32 teams.

The run can open up the pass but sometimes the pass can open up the run.

stb_steeler
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
With a little luck Dixon will come out lookin like minnie Young. :noidea:

steelerjim58
09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
best way is to mix it up of course, but i think we can have success running the ball against the titans. the raiders were moving the ball on the ground vs them easily, but lost because of turnovers and they couldn't stop chris johnson. honestly i think if we can hold CJ to under 100 yards this game is very winnable.

I would respectfully disagree with you about Johnson. I could live with him having exactly the same kind of game on Sunday. Take away the 76 yd. td and he carried the ball 26 times for 66 yds.

SteelKnight
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
OMG...I just thought of the perfect play...

The halfback option.

Run the ball a few times to the outside...occasionally have Wallace block if the defender is in front of him or keep running to foo that it is a pass play if the defender is behind him. have him do both.

Later in the game, run Mendy to the right then at the end, throw the ball deep to Wallace.

If Mendy's arm is bad, he can throw it to the other side of the field back to Dixon. At that point, Dixon can run (since everyone will have cheated right) or throw the ball deep to Wallace.

It's awesome.

You do it around midfield so in case something goes wrong, you don't feel bad.

MikeHaullace
09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
So I missed my draft for my Fantasy League 'cause the momz was in town, right?

And the people that made it to the draft apparently conspired to f&%k the rest of us that didn't... right?

So I figured I'd have some fun this week and put my Black-N-Gold allegiance to the test... See if we actually do... adjust to the defense. (Hence me responding here. hehe)

Keep in mind, they went out of their way to draft both Hines Ward and Mike Wallace for me "becuz we knew u likd the steelers herpa derpa derpa".

So this week. I'm going balls-out in hopes of Bruce Arians not being a *complete* idiot. I dropped a scrub RB and picked up Dixon. I'm going to start both Ward & Wallace.

IF... I don't destroy my fantasy opponent... (whom I'm currently favored over, actually)

IF... the 31st passing D isn't aerial-attacked AP-style... (that's "all day", for you 'tahds.)

I'm with Fire Arians...

Fire Arians.

Bonus: I am starting our D :tt03: over Tennessee's *and* I have Rob Bironas. I like my chances, IF... Arians doesn't s&!t the bed. Oh... And Dixon doesn't throw at defenders' chests.

steelcity1974
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
As already stated, speculation in this case is a waste of time because we have BA on our sideline.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I repeat. The Titans' pass defense is ranked 31st (last year). Only one team was worse in pass defense.

Please Arians...pass the ball. The fans will get over it if we win.

50/50 would be good.

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Surprisingly even. I just say Playbook and it said we had 33 run plays and 31 pass plays. That's pretty even. Consider that at the end of regulation it was 32-31.

It felt like mostly run to me. When looking at Dixon's attempts, remember that there were 3 sacks so there must have also been 2 plays where he got over the line of scrimmage and failed to throw it.

If that was about 50/50, then I want 57 pass, 43 run for this game. I want it to FEEL like 50/50.

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Tennessee held Pittsburgh to 37 yards rushing last year, but Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed 33 of 43 passes for 363 yards. Santonio Holmes caught nine passes for 131 yards, Hines Ward caught eight for 103, and Heath Miller caught eight for 64.

Proving my point. If we knew how to score, we should have had better than 13-10. They can be had with passing. Pass the ball.

pete74
09-18-2010, 04:22 AM
the only reason they had a top 10 run defense was because there secondary played so bad that teams just kept throwing on them instead of running and that made there run stopping stats appear better then they should be

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
the only reason they had a top 10 run defense was because there secondary played so bad that teams just kept throwing on them instead of running and that made there run stopping stats appear better then they should be

Possibly but I think it is possible to be bad at both pass and run. They handled our run offense by holding us to 37 yards. They probably earned it. I think (most) teams would still mix on the run and get yards if they sucked.

We MUST test them. I think we could be good for 3 scores through the air if we are not chicken.

It is the same with the Ravens. People talk about how great their defense is but without Reed and one of their starting CBs, their secondary is suspect. Ray Ray will be excited with the run on every tackle. I really hope we focus on the air with the Ravens. They are so beatable. If Dixon can't do air, maybe Leftwich will be ready. The Ravens WILL stop our run.

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
"They are, they ran it 31-32 times and Dennis (Dixon) had 24 pass attempts, 12 of which were on third down—or 27 attempts, something like that," Fisher said. "So they are, they’re going to run the football and control the clock, and they’re going to get the ball back on defense.

Now ...I don't know if Fisher is right on how many of the passes were on 3rd down but if correct, maybe that's why it felt like they were running it all the time (because of first and second down).

To the Steelers credit and my surprise, it was fairly even during regulation with 32 run plays, 31 pass plays called. The reason the pass attempts look like 26 is because there were 3 sacks and 2 times where the play broke down and Dixon got a total of 4 yards...but these were still pass plays called.

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I thought I saw 33-31 on NFL network but the box score says 60 offensive plays where 31 were runs. This means 31 pass plays were called and 29 run plays were called because Dixon's 2 runs were pass plays that broke down.