PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown emulating Chris Johnson during Steelers practice

mesaSteeler
09-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Antonio Brown emulating Chris Johnson during Steelers practice
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699709.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown isn't just auditioning this week for a spot on the Steelers' active roster Sunday.

"Coach (Mike Tomlin) picked me out of everybody on the team to play (Titans running back) Chris Johnson," Brown said Wednesday after practice. "I'm going to take the initiative to give the defense a good look and get them prepared."

Of course, there is only so much Brown can do to emulate Johnson, who last season became only the sixth player in NFL history to rush for at least 2,000 yards in a season.

"From a receiver to the best running back in the NFL is a little different," strong safety Troy Polamalu said.

Brown is hoping to be one of the receivers that dresses against the Titans after not playing in the season opener because of a numbers crunch.

He and fellow rookie Emmanuel Sanders appear to be in a weekly competition for the final wide receiver spot on game day.

Brown is listed No. 1 on the depth chart at kickoff and punt returner, and he could get an opportunity in Nashville if a quadriceps injury that limited Sanders in practice yesterday lingers.

"I'm preparing every week for what coach has in store for me and hopefully the opportunity will present itself," Brown said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

steeltheone
09-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Still not sold on Johnson long term...Just a gut feeling.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-16-2010, 12:35 AM
I have a pretty good feeling thay CJ2K's triple digit rushing streak is comming very close to an end.

fer522
09-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I dont care if he runs for 200 yards as long as we get the W :wave:
:tt03:

LukesDad88
09-17-2010, 08:09 PM
He'll be done by the end of the season. Remember what happened to Larry Johnson after 2 years when the Chiefs kept on handing him the rock? Same with Priest Holmes, or basically any other back that keeps getting that many touches during the year.

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I have a pretty good feeling thay CJ2K's triple digit rushing streak is comming very close to an end.

This I can agree to. Steelers are going to stuff him and make Young try to beat them and its not going to happen.

NYC_Steeler
09-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Can't see AB as CJ - just not the same body type or skills. I do want the Steelers to crush CJ and get rid of all the hype surrounding him. He ran all over the Raiders - big deal! Let's see how well he runs against Polamalu & Co.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
It's this kind of activity that slows lower players development ...having to work on the scout team instead of spending valuable time learning OUR offense and working on his routes.

This is what slowed Dixon's development. Instead of studying more film and working with the second team, he was third and running the stupid scout team while all the reps went to Batch. Aaron Rogers got to focus on becoming a better QB with his own playbook each week.

I hope when Ben comes back, Dixon can continue to learn OUR playbook.

Each NFL team should be allowed a staff of 11 players not appropriate for the NFL who can never play in any games or be activated but who spend each week learning the opponents offense and defense for occasional practice. The practice squad can intermix with them to help. This would allow the regular players to focus on our playbooks. The offense also needs other looks besides OUR defense.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 09:46 PM
You know, I don't think there is a rule stopping my idea. You could just call them "staff".

DanRooney
09-18-2010, 01:49 AM
It's this kind of activity that slows lower players development ...having to work on the scout team instead of spending valuable time learning OUR offense and working on his routes.

This is what slowed Dixon's development. Instead of studying more film and working with the second team, he was third and running the stupid scout team while all the reps went to Batch. Aaron Rogers got to focus on becoming a better QB with his own playbook each week.

I hope when Ben comes back, Dixon can continue to learn OUR playbook.

Each NFL team should be allowed a staff of 11 players not appropriate for the NFL who can never play in any games or be activated but who spend each week learning the opponents offense and defense for occasional practice. The practice squad can intermix with them to help. This would allow the regular players to focus on our playbooks. The offense also needs other looks besides OUR defense.

1. Dixon doesn't have the ability to replace Ben. His major issue isn't reading defenses, it's his poor mechanics. He doesn't have enough zip to his ball and it showed against Atlanta with his inability to throw to the outside.
2. Ben is still in the prime of his career. We won't need to start looking for someone else for another 7-8 years barring injury/another sexual assault allegation
3. Leftwich will be the long term backup. Dixon will probably be backing some other team up after this season.

SacknificentStew56
09-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Can't see AB as CJ - just not the same body type or skills. I do want the Steelers to crush CJ and get rid of all the hype surrounding him. He ran all over the Raiders - big deal! Let's see how well he runs against Polamalu & Co.

He better pack a lunch because he's gonna have to work very hard against Troy, Wood, Tim Dogg, Potsie, and Silverback.for the 53 yds that he's gonna get on gameday. Anything more would be UNCIVILIZED!!