PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 1

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
2nd and 1 on a good team sould be a passing down...maybe a play action pass...possibly a screen or bomb.

A good team knows they can make 3rd and 1 running the ball and they trust their QB to throw the ball away if nothing is there.

It should be a free pass play to possibly go deep.

Once I saw us run on 2nd and 1, I knew we were chicken. I knew we were going to run a conservative game because we were afraid.

So what if you get a couple of yards and get a first down. Now you are in the same position ...2 yards further and you have 10 yards that you have to make up. Now you have no more free plays. Why not take your free pass play then get the couple of yards and start over with a fresh set of downs?

Afraid...that's why.

I hope we are less chicken this week.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
woo hoo...this is post 900. I bet at least 200 were used arguing foolishly with a certain member. lol

stb_steeler
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
LMFAO.......i know who!!!!

lionslicer
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I predict someone will say it was Arians fault, and then someone will say it isn't his fault and somehow blame Dixon through a series of comments about nothing

vasteeler
09-16-2010, 06:14 PM
idk, id be a little afraid as well with a 3rd string qb

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I predict someone will say it was Arians fault, and then someone will say it isn't his fault and somehow blame Dixon through a series of comments about nothing

It was clearly not Dixon calling the plays ... I hate to blame everything on Arians but I guess this one I'm going to.

idk, id be a little afraid as well with a 3rd string qb

lol. It is a free play. Once we did that, the defense knew we were scared and were going to play it conservatively. Getting a first down does nothing for you there. It just speeds up the time with which you have to make the next first down

Play action there is perfect.

lionslicer
09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
It was clearly not Dixon calling the plays ... I hate to blame everything on Arians but I guess this one I'm going to.

You could find a way to blame either one if you really dug down enough. I brought up the fact that after the steelers had a big 9 yard run, on 2nd and 1, arians decided to call a run play, and Dixon who doesn't know enough to audible, runs the play with 8 defenders in the box and it ends up being a 4 or 5 yard loss. That is a perfect time for play action. Or just a pass play.

Someone who really hates Dixon might come up and say "well on 2nd and short he threw the interception and Arians lost trust in him for the rest of the game"

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 09:29 PM
You could find a way to blame either one if you really dug down enough. I brought up the fact that after the steelers had a big 9 yard run, on 2nd and 1, arians decided to call a run play, and Dixon who doesn't know enough to audible, runs the play with 8 defenders in the box and it ends up being a 4 or 5 yard loss. That is a perfect time for play action. Or just a pass play.

Someone who really hates Dixon might come up and say "well on 2nd and short he threw the interception and Arians lost trust in him for the rest of the game"

I get what you are saying. Fortunately I can just blame te team and not worry about who specifically to blame. They are scared. I'm sure they would not let Dixon audible a run on anything and 1...even if they had 11 in the box...lol

You see my point of a free play though right? Once the other team sees you are afraid to take the free play, they see your hand.

lionslicer
09-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I get what you are saying. Fortunately I can just blame te team and not worry about who specifically to blame. They are scared. I'm sure they would not let Dixon audible a run on anything and 1...even if they had 11 in the box...lol

You see my point of a free play though right? Once the other team sees you are afraid to take the free play, they see your hand.

I get what you are saying, and I'm sure most people do. Defensive coaches in my mind are way smarter than any other coach on any team and they will notice these little things and exploit it. I know the Titans defense will be sending every guy they got next week on 2nd and short downs. We'll see gameday if they make the necessary adjustments to help Dixon.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 12:05 AM
I get what you are saying, and I'm sure most people do. Defensive coaches in my mind are way smarter than any other coach on any team and they will notice these little things and exploit it. I know the Titans defense will be sending every guy they got next week on 2nd and short downs. We'll see gameday if they make the necessary adjustments to help Dixon.

Maybe not. They may count on the nervousness of Dixon to create his own pressure. Atlanta several times sent a 3 man rush and Dixon looked nervous.

Tennessee has the 31st ranked pass defense from last year. If we don't attempt to exploit this then we deserve to lose.