PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Fumble Issues

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I just had te pleasure of watching the 10 min game review of the Steelers game on NFL Network on Demand. You notice things that you might miss in the game.

One thing I noticed is ...

Forget it. I've changed my mind. Each time you watch over, you see new things. I think he was appropriate.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
... ...

Fire Arians
09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Coaching staff might be telling him to use more caution because we don't have #7 playing qb also. Turnovers from our offense will hurt us a lot more without our star QB.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Coaching staff might be telling him to use more caution because we don't have #7 playing qb also. Turnovers from our offense will hurt us a lot more without our star QB.

That's true. One more turnover would've killed us last week. It is a risk reward thing.

If he gets to being hiself though, he is going to break some big ones.

tony hipchest
09-16-2010, 09:53 PM
i think the fans just wanna have the most perfect and bestest player at each and every position.
noidea:
its simply not going to happen, especially in this day and age of salary cap.

im just glad to have the best defense whose capable of winning 2 sb's in the past 5 years.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
i think the fans just wanna have the most perfect and bestest player at each and every position.
noidea:
its simply not going to happen, especially in this day and age of salary cap.

im just glad to have the best defense whose capable of winning 2 sb's in the past 5 years.

I have edited because when I watched it again, I could see why he decided to use two hands.
Feel free to lock this thread. Thanks.

figg
09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
On the game winner he was carrying it like a loaf of bread. Hopefully he fixes that.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
On the game winner he was carrying it like a loaf of bread. Hopefully he fixes that.

That's when he runs the best...when he uses one hand, uses the other hand for ballance, push off, etc.

figg
09-16-2010, 11:06 PM
If he fumbling he isnt running his best. A fumbling rb doesnt last long in the NFL. Even Tiki Barber was able to fix his problems.

SteelKnight
09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
If he fumbling he isnt running his best. A fumbling rb doesnt last long in the NFL. Even Tiki Barber was able to fix his problems.

He needs to find the right place between an acceptable number of fumbles and a point where his explosiveness, balance and jukability is not limited by wanting to use 2 hands.

figg
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
He needs to find the right place between an acceptable number of fumbles and a point where his explosiveness, balance and jukability is not limited by wanting to use 2 hands.

It was nice to see him hold it with two hands to be honest. BTW he can hold onto the ball and still make moves.

tony hipchest
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
i wanted to be a pro football player, but i never played college ball. i also wanted to be a surgeon, but i never attended medical college.

i once witnessed a surgery though and didnt like the way the surgeon held the scalpel because i thought he might slice a nerve or artery.

but then again, who the hell am i?

mendenhall has 3 fumbles in his 3 year career (all last year).

he has 3 fumbles in about 280 carries (all lost).

he averages 1 fumble every 90+ touches.

hines had 2 fumbles last year (only one lost). over his entire career, hines avereages a fumble about every 93 touches.

ben fumbles and throws interceptions left and right.

im just as concerned about hines fumble issues, and way more concerned about ben.

not really sure why people nitpick with mendenhall. im sure it has something to do with being jerome spoiled (even bettis almost cost us a SB bid).

figg
09-17-2010, 12:58 AM
i wanted to be a pro football player, but i never played college ball. i also wanted to be a surgeon, but i never attended medical college.

i once witnessed a surgery though and didnt like the way the surgeon held the scalpel because i thought he might slice a nerve or artery.

but then again, who the hell am i?

mendenhall has 3 fumbles in his 3 year career (all last year).

he has 3 fumbles in about 280 carries (all lost).

he averages 1 fumble every 90+ touches.

hines had 2 fumbles last year (only one lost). over his entire career, hines avereages a fumble about every 93 touches.

ben fumbles and throws interceptions left and right.

im just as concerned about hines fumble issues, and way more concerned about ben.

not really sure why people nitpick with mendenhall. im sure it has something to do with being jerome spoiled (even bettis almost cost us a SB bid).

I like Mendenhall he just scares me.

SteelMember
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I like Mendenhall he just scares me.

Just don't look him straight in the eyes and you'll be fine. :chuckle:

I will admit he does seem to like to pump his arm's when he's in his sprint. I think that's natural to any runner. Just not technically sound. It's really only his 2nd year. He has more to learn, but I think he's doing a pretty good job so far.

Folks seem to worry about his spin moves too. "he's exposing the ball." "he's gonna fumble."

The guy just had a good game. He's up for ground player of the week. People like to worry, but I guess i'll be more concerned if these things actually start to be an issue.

SteelKnight
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Just don't look him straight in the eyes and you'll be fine. :chuckle:

I will admit he does seem to like to pump his arm's when he's in his sprint. I think that's natural to any runner. Just not technically sound. It's really only his 2nd year. He has more to learn, but I think he's doing a pretty good job so far.

Folks seem to worry about his spin moves too. "he's exposing the ball." "he's gonna fumble."

The guy just had a good game. He's up for ground player of the week. People like to worry, but I guess i'll be more concerned if these things actually start to be an issue.

What actually happened was the opposite. Sure i worry about how he holds it and i was shocked he didn't have more fumbles last year...but i think that is when his juking and balance is at his best. Once he starts using two hands in the croud, the play is over.

I watched a lot of runners on tape this weekend and all the good ones take their chance and use one hand and use the other hand for balance, push off, etc. ...even when running through a crowd (unless they are being gang tackled.

I started this thread criticizing him for missing huge holes because he wanted to hold on with two hands and spin or trip but when i rewatched it they were appropriate.

We have to decrease the fumbles while at the same time not hinder his running style too much as to make him unproductive.

The Steelers running was OK. I'm sure they would have done better if the defense didn't know they were going to run on every play. The reason it looks spectacular is because of te big run. I'm sure if we took away the top 2-3 runs, the median would not be spectacular. This will change when Ben comes back and we can actually fool them with some runs (by having a capable passer).

stb_steeler
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM

A big loaf at that, and whats with the spin moves every carry....(sigh).

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
A big loaf at that, and whats with the spin moves every carry....(sigh).

As long as he gets yards and scores points, he can come out there spinning like a top on every play, for all I care. It seems to work....telling Mendy not to spin is like telling Dixon not to bring the ball down and run it when he thinks it is appropriate.