View Full Version : McFadden irked by critics after Steelers' opener

mesaSteeler
09-17-2010, 01:51 AM
McFadden irked by critics after Steelers' opener
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699943.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 17, 2010

When Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White caught 13 passes for 111 yards against the Steelers on Sunday, left cornerback Bryant McFadden wasn't fazed.

In fact, McFadden took offense to media and fan criticism this week that he was victimized by White.

For starters, the Steelers' defense didn't allow a touchdown in a 15-9 overtime win at Heinz Field.

White was targeted 23 times, meaning that he failed to make a catch on 10 other occasions. White was held to only 8.5 yards a catch.

The assignment of defending White generally fell to McFadden, since they usually lined up on the same side of the field. However, William Gay also played on the left, and safety Troy Polamalu was shaded to that side when he intercepted a pass intended for White late in regulation.

"He was targeted 23 times - sometimes 23 completions is a whole ballgame for a team," said McFadden, who didn't practice Thursday because of a groin injury. "As far as yards per catch, we did what we needed to do. He was their big-play guy, their Pro Bowl receiver. Not allowing him to make a big play and get in the end zone was something we needed to do to be successful."

McFadden's workload could decrease in Sunday's game at Tennessee. The Titans feature an explosive running attack powered by Chris Johnson. They aren't likely to pass as much as Atlanta did.

However, quarterback Vince Young is developing chemistry with wide receiver Nate Washington, a former Steeler. The pair connected on a long touchdown pass against Oakland in the opener.

Asked if he expects Young to test his side of the field, McFadden replied: "You have to expect the unexpected."

The way McFadden views last Sunday's situation, when the Steelers shut down Atlanta's ground game, the Falcons, who rushed for only 58 yards, were forced to throw more than they wanted.

Of quarterback Matt Ryan's 43 pass attempts, more than half were directed toward White. Tight end Tony Gonzalez was held to only two catches for 35 yards.

The Steelers cornerbacks kept Atlanta's passing game in front of them, and McFadden kept White out of the end zone.

"It's very hard for a team to drive like that. Those plays are not going to beat us," said McFadden, who recorded a career-high 14 tackles against Atlanta. "Most offenses don't want to be nickel and diming all the time. If we can keep everything in front of us and punish them and make tackles, that's what we're going to do.

"A lot of people read into it the wrong way. People watching from the couch really don't understand football. They think it wasn't a good job. But on our end, we did what (defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau) wanted us to do."

Gay, who is becoming a fixture at nickel back when he isn't filling in at cornerback, agreed with McFadden's analysis that the secondary was following orders by playing soft coverage against the Falcons.

"It's tough to run 10-yard outs the whole game and win," said Gay, who will start against Tennessee if McFadden doesn't play. "We tried to erase the big plays. No passes over 25 yards. Coach LeBeau teaches that."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

SteelCurtain0815
09-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Exactly what I have been saying. He had a very good game and if anyone who doesn't agree, doesn't know football. Just ask Dick Lebeau's opinion on it.

Goat27
09-17-2010, 03:07 AM
agreed

SteelCityKing
09-17-2010, 03:07 AM
i have Roddy White on my Fantasy Football team. but i'll take the Steelers win any day over any numbers any team or players puts up on us.

the win may have been ugly, but you can't judge it cause it was a WIN! damn! ha!

steeltheone
09-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Yes i thought Mcfadden did a fine job....Go Steelers!

ricardisimo
09-17-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't know that anyone said he was a bad player. I just didn't understand why he was getting kudos for the game. Look, here's all 23 passes aimed at Roddy White. Can you detect a pattern? I've bolded the coverage player, and colored the incompletions red to help in the process.

(6:27) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to 84-R.White. Coverage by #92 Harrison.
(4:01) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to 84-R.White. Coverage by #25 Clark, Pressure by #43 Polamalu.
(1:50) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to 84-R.White (24-I.Taylor).
(1:45) 2-M.Ryan pass short left to 84-R.White to ATL 48 for 10 yards (24-I.Taylor).

2nd Qtr.
(11:41) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to ATL 48 for 16 yards (20-B.McFadden).
(:10) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short left to 84-R.White pushed ob at PIT 31 for 7 yards (24-I.Taylor).
(:07) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to 84-R.White. Coverage by #22 Gay, #20 McFadden.

3rd Qtr.
(13:11) (No Huddle) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to 84-R.White. Coverage by #24 Taylor.
(13:07) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short left to 84-R.White to PIT 49 for 5 yards (24-I.Taylor).
(12:19) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to PIT 40 for 14 yards (20-B.McFadden).
(10:55) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to 84-R.White. Coverage by #20 McFadden.
(10:51) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to 84-R.White. Pressure by #56 Woodley, Coverage by #20 McFadden.
(5:12) 2-M.Ryan pass short left to 84-R.White to ATL 38 for 7 yards (24-I.Taylor, 92-J.Harrison).
(2:11) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to 84-R.White (20-B.McFadden). Pressure by #56 Woodley.

4th Qtr.
(6:48) 2-M.Ryan pass deep middle to 84-R.White to PIT 40 for 18 yards (20-B.McFadden).
(6:11) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to PIT 34 for 6 yards (25-R.Clark).
(5:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to PIT 31 for 3 yards (92-J.Harrison; 20-B.McFadden). Official measurement.
(4:15) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to PIT 12 for 5 yards (20-B.McFadden).
(4:07) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short middle to 84-R.White to PIT 5 for 7 yards (24-I.Taylor).
(1:45) (Shotgun) 2-M.Ryan pass short right intended for 84-R.White INTERCEPTED by 43-T.Polamalu at ATL 31. 43-T.Polamalu ran ob at ATL 30 for 1 yard. The Replay Assistant challenged the runner was in bounds ruling, and the play was Upheld.

OT
(14:19) 2-M.Ryan pass short right to 84-R.White to ATL 21 for 9 yards (20-B.McFadden).
(13:16) 2-M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to 84-R.White. Pressure by #56 Woodley.

My only point is that whatever argument one uses to defend McFadden's play - he prevented the long play, he was keeping the play in front of him, etc. - his teammates were clearly doing all of it better.

SacknificentStew56
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I yawn at Roddy's stats from that game. We got the "W" and that's all i'm and the team i'm sure is worried about.

Downbylaw
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
White got all those catches because of Lebeaus scheme. I have been saying that and THANKS BMAC for substantiating that.

SteelMember
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, Bmac played the scheme. He played off the line, and gave them all the short routes in front of him. Many of the catches he gave up were between 10-20 yards, but what he didn't do is let them stretch the field and get the big plays. Without Jenkins, Roddy was the only guy gonna do that, so he got a bigger cushion. Other guys like Weems were getting their heads ripped off because our D knew they could press midgets like him.

He played well within the scheme, but I think he could do better. Troy admitted he could have done better. Bmac just needs to do his job to the best of his ability and stop reading what the "critics" are saying.

Critics don't win you games!

GrizzlyDean
09-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone that knows football knows that Mcfadden played a good game, even on some of the balls white caught Mcfadden had his arm in there. I would never worry about the short passes I worry about how the steeler CB's tackle after the catch. Come up and put them on the ground that is Steeler football.

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2010, 01:25 PM
B-Mac makes this defense better. Any tool that doesn't think so simply doesn't get defensive football.

ricardisimo
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
White got all those catches because of Lebeaus scheme. I have been saying that and THANKS BMAC for substantiating that.
Yes, I think we should accept McFadden's word as gospel regarding what sort of a game he played.

Look, once again, he's a fine player, and he certainly didn't lose the game for us. As far as Lebeau's schemes and whatnot... Lebeau has repeatedly said that the lack of turnovers when Troy's not in the game is a problem, and so at least in that regard McFadden was not listening to his coach.

Secondly, everyone else was, statistically speaking, doing a better job of implementing "the scheme" as you like to call it: shortening the plays and keeping the ball in front of them. The long and the short of it is that he gave up more completions for more yards total and on average. I don't need to be a defensive genius to know that he's competent, but really just treading water for now; nor to be able to say that Lebeau would have liked fewer completions for less yards, like he was getting from his other corners, and even from the linebackers occasionally covering White.

B-Mac makes this defense better. Any tool that doesn't think so simply doesn't get defensive football.
Troy and Aaron and a healthy Harrison make this defense better, make no mistake.

stb_steeler
09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Id rather have B-Mac instead of Gay......:wink02:

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, I think we should accept McFadden's word as gospel regarding what sort of a game he played.

It has nothing to do with what McFadden is saying.

Look, once again, he's a fine player, and he certainly didn't lose the game for us. As far as Lebeau's schemes and whatnot... Lebeau has repeatedly said that the lack of turnovers when Troy's not in the game is a problem, and so at least in that regard McFadden was not listening to his coach.

This is where some knowlege of defensive theory comes in (no condescension intended, I just don't know what you know)-- you either play for INTs by staying in front of the receiver(the aggressive method), or play to take away the long plays by staying behind/upfield of the receiver.

McFadden was tasked with staying behind Roddy White to prevent him from making a big play. He did that to perfection.

That is how our defense usually works ideally-- we have our CBs play with a cushion to take away the big plays (this way, the receiver has to come to the defender, instead of the defender having to chase down the receiver), while Polamalu hunts around underneath to pick off stray/deflected passes. Our defense is not designed for our CBs to make lots of INTs.

White was targetted 23 times in that game! He is a Probowl receiver, and still McF defensed 10 of those attempts and did not allow a single play over 25 yards. That is outstanding CB play in Dick Lebeau's scheme.

Listing out each of his completions and who the defender was is not conclusive-- McFadden was tasked specifically with stopping White, so of course, if White makes any completions, they are more than likely going to be at McFadden's expense.

Secondly, everyone else was, statistically speaking, doing a better job of implementing "the scheme" as you like to call it: shortening the plays and keeping the ball in front of them.

Maybe that is because they weren't covering a Probowl receiver, Matt Ryan's favorite target.

The long and the short of it is that he gave up more completions for more yards total and on average.

Again, because he was targeted 23 times in that game.

I don't need to be a defensive genius to know that he's competent, but really just treading water for now

Ummm....no. He executed Lebeau's gameplan to perfection.

nor to be able to say that Lebeau would have liked fewer completions for less yards, like he was getting from his other corners, and even from the linebackers occasionally covering White.

The key word is OCCASIONALLY.....if you get targeted 23 times, while the other guys are hardly being thrown to-- guess what? You will give up more yards and completions than the other guys....

It seems like you are trying to confuse fantasy football stats with real on-field performance, while ignoring game situation, strategy, and scheme.
[/QUOTE]

fer522
09-17-2010, 07:07 PM
did i miss something here i know i live in Arkansas but i think i was watching the same game and i think he played good solid D they threw him(Roddy ) the ball 23 times and ONLY caught 13 passes why dont we give him(Mcfadden) credit for the 10 passes that Roddy missed:wave:
:tt03: