PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Tommy........

Lyn
03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
and thank you for everything you have done to make the team better. For starters:

Because of Tommy Maddox, Kordell was shown the door, because of Tommy Maddox Ben was ushered in the door. I will always remember when Ben was forced to start his first pro game. A lot of us fans were scared that week. The rookie qb who was such an unknown was being fed to a good Miami D. Tommy had the grace to never complain and help Ben. Tommy taught Ben some lessons that Ben will use for a very long time. That is per Ben.

I'll never forget the day Tommy got hit and lay on the ground unmoving. He was temporarily paralyzed. Thank goodness he surrived and came back to finish one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. I'd say it was the first taste of success for the current team that lead to the Super bowl win. I am not sure Tommy ever fully recovered after that injury.

I have seen the Steeler's play alot of football and many good games. But the greatest game I have ever witnessed was definitely the Wildcard game against the Cleveland Browns. It was one awesome game and Tommy Gun brought it home. That game was the most exciting Steeler game I have seen and I will never forget it nor will I forget Tommy Gun in a most positive manner.
I wish him the very best of the best, no matter what his future endeavors may be.
Good bless you, Mr. Maddox and you have a superbowl ring! You deserve it.

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, conversely, Maddox should thank Christ every day for the rest of his life that the Steelers answered his call.

Ambridge
03-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Tommy did some good things for the Steelers and yes he was a nice temporary stepping stone from Kordell to Ben.

Enjoy the Superbowl Ring Tommy.

tony hipchest
03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
while i didnt see it i got to hear myron cope call it, and even though it ended in a tie the game vs. atlanta and the then hot superstar mike vick will be my 2nd favorite tommy preformance and definitely my favorite plax preformance. inches away from a win. that was dramatic as hell.

SmashMouthSteelerFan
03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I have seen the Steeler's play alot of football and many good games. But the greatest game I have ever witnessed was definitely the Wildcard game against the Cleveland Browns. It was one awesome game and Tommy Gun brought it home. That game was the most exciting Steeler game I have seen and I will never forget it nor will I forget Tommy Gun in a most positive manner.
I wish him the very best of the best, no matter what his future endeavors may be.

I have to agree! That wildcard game against the Clowns, a couple of years ago WAS a classic. I still wish I had a copy of that game! I still remember like it was yesterday, when Jerome went into the endzone with a minute or so to go in the game!!! I was exctatic!!! Tommy has definitly seen some highs and lows (with probably more lows than highs) but he is an alright guy and I know he loved the city of Pittsburgh! Good Luck Tommy!

:wave: :tt: :tt: :tt: :wave:

siss
03-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I understand why they did it, but I kinda worry that without a veteran QB Ben (who is still developing) won't have someone to show him the way anymore. Tommy knows the offence backwords and forwords. Doesnt he meet Ben in the middle of the field to answer some of his questions? Whose gunna do that now?

83-Steelers-43
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I understand why they did it, but I kinda worry that without a veteran QB Ben (who is still developing) won't have someone to show him the way anymore. Tommy knows the offence backwords and forwords. Doesnt he meet Ben in the middle of the field to answer some of his questions? Whose gunna do that now?

1) We have Charlie Batch.

2) Ben won the Super Bowl. Not Tommy Maddox. Ben is capable.

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Charlie Batch has more NFL starts than Maddox, and Batch wasn't ever that bad...he just played for Detroit.

Lyn
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Charlie Batch has more NFL starts than Maddox, and Batch wasn't ever that bad...he just played for Detroit.

Yes he certainly did play for Detriot. I live in MI so I heard nothing but negative press on Batch throught the local media. Batch was horizontal most of his Lions career. When the Steeler's picked him up I thought...............OMG!

But when I saw Batch play for Pittsburgh, I was amazed, he was pretty damn good. I guess the supporting cast is everything. He surely did look like a different quarterback than the one I saw in Detriot. I was impressed with Batch.

bigbensgirl7
03-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree with most of the posters here. I, for one, am glad to see Tommy gone. He had his moment, and it's gone. You can't honestly sit there and can tell me that when Tommy was in there this year you felt confident in his abilities.
2 games that will always stay in the back of my mind when his name is mentiond
1) Houston 2002-I know it was his 1st game after a pretty scary injury, but Houston had I think 49 yrd and 3 offensive points and we lost because of Tommy turn overs....I was at that game and it had to be one of the worst things I have ever sat through.
2) Jacksonville 2005-OVERTIME do I need to say more???? Absolutely disgusted again!
After that I never wanted to see him in the black and gold again!!! Ben is in his third year...he has been to the playoffs twice and won a world championship!!! He doesn't need Tommy "Gun" to help him!
I do, howevver, wish him the best in life!

MattsMe
03-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Batch is the only veteran QB we need.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
and thank you for everything you have done to make the team better. For starters:

Because of Tommy Maddox, Kordell was shown the door, because of Tommy Maddox Ben was ushered in the door. I will always remember when Ben was forced to start his first pro game. A lot of us fans were scared that week. The rookie qb who was such an unknown was being fed to a good Miami D. Tommy had the grace to never complain and help Ben. Tommy taught Ben some lessons that Ben will use for a very long time. That is per Ben.

I'll never forget the day Tommy got hit and lay on the ground unmoving. He was temporarily paralyzed. Thank goodness he surrived and came back to finish one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. I'd say it was the first taste of success for the current team that lead to the Super bowl win. I am not sure Tommy ever fully recovered after that injury.

I was in Baltimore the day Tommy got injured and Ben had to step in, I was there listening to all the ratbird fans chomping at the bit to get at Ben and saying how we're done now, no way we can do anything w/ a rookie QB. I told them, just wait and see...well that and plethera of 4 letter words that would make blackbeard roll over in his grave..

and we have the last laugh as the ratbirds are pathetic and we're World Champs !!!

as far as Tommy, yes he did have some good times with us but when he was called upon the last 2 years to produce, he couldnt do it, his time was over.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
forget all this good stuff about tommy let me get this off my chest.Tommy it wasn't the o-line,it wasnot the other teams defense but it was just you suck.There I said it yep you suck.You suck by george I got it you suck tommy thank the Lord you are release from the steelers I have been waiting for this news for along time.

shutdown
03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Some of these kids are foolish. Bashing Tommy Maddox for no ****ing reason. Give yourselves a few more years to develop into real Steeler fans (if you stay on the bandwagon that long) or at least know what you're talking about for shits sake.

Tommy Maddox was a great stepping stone for us. Real Steeler fans knew Tommy Maddox wasnt our anwser; he was more like a sigh of relief. He saved us from putting up with another horrible season with Kordell Stewart at the helm. For that we all thank him.

Tommy Maddox was never a leader for us though; all he did was go out there and play and try to not **** it up (note the word try). I mean he did go to work week in and week out playing to the best of his ability and never gave any grief which is 1 characteristic we want out of our QB, but he didnt have the spark and the leadership capabilities to take us that extra mile, but we all knew that. He was a par QB, but it sure was better seeing him there and Kordell.

It sucks to see Tommy Maddox go, but his time here was worth it. No real Steeler fan is happy to see him go because of what he gave us and the doors he opened up. He was a great team player and a great friend to the team. Im sure everyone will miss him.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
"He was a great player"?

:tap:

That's news to me. Then again, I'm just one of those notorious bandwagon fans that pays for season tickets every year and helps pay the team salary.

shutdown
03-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I ment to say great team player. But if thats the only sentence you were able to comprehend I shouldnt have even pointed that out.

Lyn
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Some of these kids are foolish. Bashing Tommy Maddox for no ****ing reason. Give yourselves a few more years to develop into real Steeler fans (if you stay on the bandwagon that long) or at least know what you're talking about for shits sake.

Tommy Maddox was a great stepping stone for us. Real Steeler fans knew Tommy Maddox wasnt our anwser; he was more like a sigh of relief. He saved us from putting up with another horrible season with Kordell Stewart at the helm. For that we all thank him.

Tommy Maddox was never a leader for us though; all he did was go out there and play and try to not **** it up (note the word try). I mean he did go to work week in and week out playing to the best of his ability and never gave any grief which is 1 characteristic we want out of our QB, but he didnt have the spark and the leadership capabilities to take us that extra mile, but we all knew that. He was a par QB, but it sure was better seeing him there and Kordell.

It sucks to see Tommy Maddox go, but his time here was worth it. No real Steeler fan is happy to see him go because of what he gave us and the doors he opened up. He was a great team player and a great friend to the team. Im sure everyone will miss him.

Truer words were never spoken. I am also a hardcore Steeler fan and have been for many years. When I hear these people say stuff like "leave Tommy just go" I know they are new steeler fans who aren't into the history end of the organization. Positive reputation for you.

WWIIOwheelz
03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Tommy Maddox stepping in when he did gave the Steelers something NO team with a playbook on them suspected--- a VERY contemporary passing game that was a legitimate threat. No longer could teams stack the box early then drop into soft coverage with minimal blitzing & expect to befuddle the way they could with Kordel.

Tommy could hurt teams with the passing game, often 3-deep in his looks, but the KEY was always having a legitimate running game. The combination of Bettis getting banged up and Tommy getting hurt exposed his passing game to a lot more zone coverages and blitzes, lots of different looks he wasn't equipped to handle.

The element of surprise wore off in the playoffs against good coaching (Belicek) and there's really no surprise there. Tommy Maddox was a decent QB with all the other pieces of the puzzle. Ben Roethlisberger is a great young QB with all those same pieces, and IMHO better ones than Tommy had.

I wish Tommy the best and honestly think during his tenure as QB Cowher learned more about passing offensive options than any other time during his career. I credit Tommy with being integral in broadening the coach's understanding of the game.

Big Ben is already entrenched in Steelers history in his 2nd year, after going 15 - 1 in his first season?! Like someone for the Broncos said after the AFC Championship Game, "If you are going to come this far & lose, you want it to be to a team like that." I'll bet Tommy Maddox can relate quite well, but in a different sense.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I ment to say great team player. But if thats the only sentence you were able to comprehend I shouldnt have even pointed that out.

Well, what you "ment"? to say and what you did say are two different things. I kept nodding off when your little "bandwagon rants" came into play. Here's a "Steelers #1 Fan" sticker and some ridalin If it makes you feel any better. Hopefully someday I can become a true fan like yourself instead of being one of those notorious "fake" ones.

SteelCityMan786
03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE MADDOX. GO **** UP SOME OTHER TEAM!

PisnNapalm
03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey now!! Tommy Gun wasn't all that bad. Geez... He gave us some great times. I nearly bought his jersey a few years ago, but I'mglad I waited and got a #7 instead.

Tommy wasn't bad. He was... decent. Neil O'Donnell kind of decent. Not a star, but he was no bust either.

As I read in an article somewhere... The Steelers would not have had things fall into place without Tommy.

Thank you for the memories Tommy!

I.C. Lights
03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I'll remember those few games where Tommy lit 'em up and nobody knew whether it was a fluke or if we have a Superbowl MVP on our hands... Remember all the announcers talking about his years in Arena football and how it made his reflexes faster or something crazy like that?

Well, we all know the rest of the story, it was a fluke. Arena football didn't make him any better - he was just inspired for a while after getting his chance. And no, he was never the same after the ratbird game. I'm gonna choose to remember the good times and I wish the guy well in his future endeavors. '

I'm also gonna breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Batch is officially our backup now.

shutdown
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, what you "ment"? to say and what you did say are two different things. I kept nodding off when your little "bandwagon rants" came into play. Here's a "Steelers #1 Fan" sticker and some ridalin If it makes you feel any better. Hopefully someday I can become a true fan like yourself instead of being one of those notorious "fake" ones.

Yes it was said that he was "great player", but not more than a paragraph ago i pointed out why he wasnt our anwser at QB and i even called him a PAR Quarterback. I guess you missed that part or your comprehension ability are lacking pretty pathetically. (as i already pointed out)

It seems like you're the one who feels obligated to slap that label on your own forehead. You have had zero rebuttals to any legitimate or semi knowledgeable statements on here. You would rather spend your time smart mouthing the little things that are said on here. You are obviously the TRUE steeler fan. All hail the smart ass!

Anyways im done with this clown. He is obviously here to just be a smart ass to people. If for once he actually has one thing to say relational to the topic i might be surprised.

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
You stated Tommy Maddox was a "great player".

I simply questioned your opinion.

You went off on me.

I'm the clown? lol.

"You have had zero rebuttals to any legitimate or semi knowledgeable statements on here."

Reason why, because the Tommy Maddox topic has been beaten to death. There is no need for me to repeat myself. I saw "great player" and Tommy Maddox in the same paragraph so I simply asked a question.

Anyways.......take care buddy. I apologize if my question offended you.

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
ok I have been waiting a long time to say this

GOOD BYE TOMMY DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU :moon:

SteelerzGirl
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Good luck and best wishes, Tommy!

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes it was said that he was "great player", but not more than a paragraph ago i pointed out why he wasnt our anwser at QB and i even called him a PAR Quarterback. I guess you missed that part or your comprehension ability are lacking pretty pathetically. (as i already pointed out)

It seems like you're the one who feels obligated to slap that label on your own forehead. You have had zero rebuttals to any legitimate or semi knowledgeable statements on here. You would rather spend your time smart mouthing the little things that are said on here. You are obviously the TRUE steeler fan. All hail the smart ass!

Anyways im done with this clown. He is obviously here to just be a smart ass to people. If for once he actually has one thing to say relational to the topic i might be surprised.

Dude, lighten up a bit...less than 15 posts and you're already calling people out? I've been a Steelers fan for almost 30 years, and I have repeatedly bashed Tommy Maddox, not as a person, but for his refusal to accept the obvious: His skills have eroded away to less than acceptable NFL QB levels. It's understandable for a pro athlete to hang on too long...lot's of them do. It's much more confusing when fans make the same mistake, especially when faced with the overwhelming and obvious evidence to the contrary.

Did Tommy fill a role? Sure. Did he fill it well? Yeah, he did okay. By definition, that makes him a good role player...correction: MADE him a good role player.

Webfactor8
03-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Listen Tom isn't the greatest player. I don't think anyone can say that. But he isn't a Barry Bonds either. Using HGH and Being a general A-Hole. Or say a Jamal Lewis fronting money for drugs and being a general A-Hole.
I don't like his play, but come on guys do you have to rip on a guy who went out and got the crap kicked out of him every Sunday for YOU?
I'm glad we have better options, and could release him. But I'm sad to see a decent guy lose his job.

Hawk Believer
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Props to the people who are classy enough to thank Tommy and wish him well. Even if the guy wasn't a "great", from what I know of him it seems like he always gave it his best and never did anything to discredit your organization off the field. Can't really ask much more of a player. I bet there is a team out there with an developing QB that Maddox could really help out. I hope he finds some meaningful work for a couple more years.

Tooquickrich
03-08-2006, 12:58 AM
I wish Tommy all the best. Tommy filled the role he was brought in to do...... He was the link we needed until we could get a franchise QB.

I live in Dayton, OH. (45 minutes north of Cincy), so I have the unique view of seeing all the Bungals press. Just to show how bad it COULD have been I'll mention 2 names that the Cincy press said would take the Bungals to the top........ David Klingler and Akili Smith. I'd still take Maddox over either of them any day of the week.

schoondog
03-08-2006, 04:27 AM
ok I have been waiting a long time to say this

GOOD BYE TOMMY DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU :moon:

Well said, and to Hawk believer you guys can have him

Ohio Steeler
03-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I wish Tommy all the best. Tommy filled the role he was brought in to do...... He was the link we needed until we could get a franchise QB.

I live in Dayton, OH. (45 minutes north of Cincy), so I have the unique view of seeing all the Bungals press. Just to show how bad it COULD have been I'll mention 2 names that the Cincy press said would take the Bungals to the top........ David Klingler and Akili Smith. I'd still take Maddox over either of them any day of the week.

what I find funny and I am not sure if it is true but Cincy is looking at Tommy as there back up now that kitna is leaving

bigbensgirl7
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
what I find funny and I am not sure if it is true but Cincy is looking at Tommy as there back up now that kitna is leaving
I don't think it would happen but if it does it looks like it will be more than just a back up for the first 6-7 weeks.

Suitanim
03-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Kitna is leaving?

drizze99
03-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Tommy DID help the Steelers at one point in his career, but this league is "what have you done for me lately" attitude and the answer to that is NOTHING.

I'm am glad to see Tommy move on because I am tired of the turnovers and tired of seeing the "self sacking fetal position drop" he mastered after that hit by Bullock.

It looks like Miami might be interested...

Dolphins | Maddox could draw Miami's interest
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:54:56 -0800

Jason Cole and Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, report free agent QB Tommy Maddox (Steelers) might draw some interest from the Miami Dolphins. Maddox is a great admirer of new Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey from when Mularkey held the same job with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

www.KFFL.com

Ohio Steeler
03-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Kitna is leaving?

from what I am hearing his days in Cincy are done the Jets want him bad

shutdown
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Dude, lighten up a bit...less than 15 posts and you're already calling people out? I've been a Steelers fan for almost 30 years, and I have repeatedly bashed Tommy Maddox, not as a person, but for his refusal to accept the obvious: His skills have eroded away to less than acceptable NFL QB levels. It's understandable for a pro athlete to hang on too long...lot's of them do. It's much more confusing when fans make the same mistake, especially when faced with the overwhelming and obvious evidence to the contrary.

Did Tommy fill a role? Sure. Did he fill it well? Yeah, he did okay. By definition, that makes him a good role player...correction: MADE him a good role player.

What do you expect him to do about it? Tell the Coaches he is done and put Batch in? He was contracted to play football, and that is what he did (to the best of his abilities). Yes he can't let go and still thinks he has it, but that isnt our problem anymore. If we would have resigned him and he bitched about wanting to start you might have had a point. But he's gone. You're saying his skills have diminished which is fair but what do you expect the guy to do about it. Last time i checked the Steelers were allowing people to compete for the job but the people who get paid to make the decisions on who to start chose Tommy as their Starting QB.

Bottom line is what basically alot of knowledgeable people have been saying in this thread. Tommy not only did alot for this team he also opened some doors and eyes at the same time. Everyone who is saying good riddance are just being complete idiots and cant really comprehend all the good things Tommy Maddox brought to us.

schoondog
03-09-2006, 03:09 AM
from what I am hearing his days in Cincy are done the Jets want him bad

I also heard the ravens wanted Kitna but they are backing out of it because they don't want to get into a bidding war.

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Bottom line is what basically alot of knowledgeable people have been saying in this thread. Tommy not only did alot for this team he also opened some doors and eyes at the same time. Everyone who is saying good riddance are just being complete idiots and cant really comprehend all the good things Tommy Maddox brought to us.

I am pretty sure that I'm not an idiot because I can decipher the difference between what WAS and what will be.