PDA

View Full Version : Often Not Discussed

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 04:10 AM
I don't know if Goodell has put a muzzle on discussing such things for game integrity but I'm glad someone came out and admitted this:

With four years of knowledge of the organization, Washington said he would advise Titans players and coaches this week about the schemes and personalities of the Steelers coaches.

This is why I never like players going to other teams in our division...even the practice squad.

I'm sure the defense will show Tenn new looks that Nate is not all that familiar with. I'm sure the offensive playbook is so huge that he cannot give them enough info to prepare for Dixon. He played the slot so he might be able to help the nickel back recognize looks.

Besides, teams already have tons of film so the only thing an ex player can offer is plays that have not been used. I guess they can also offer them "what if"...like what they are instructed to do if the defender does X or the offense does X that may not have shown up on the film.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Washington-Anxious-to-Face-Former-Team/130cf4cc-ad95-42b5-91b3-0a1af4a114e4

jjpro11
09-18-2010, 06:23 AM
he can really only provide so much info, especially considering ha has been gone a couple years now and we have an entirely new offense with Dixon in there. schemes and tendencies can be picked up on game film, so it's nothing too secretive. if you think about it, if this was such a big deal to teams, they would be signing players from opposing teams' practice squads the week before every game.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Washington was a free agent signing to a starter's position so if he passes along what he knows about the Steelers offense that is a risk of losing your players to free agency - the Titans certainly did not sign Washington to obtain his knowledge of teh Steelers playbook. With a new OL coach and Dixon under center I doubt Washington has a lot of insights of value

OTOH the "pump and dump" suspect for the Titans game is Patrick Bailey, whom Fisher signed after Bailey was cut.2 weeks ago = let's see if Bailey stays on the roster after Sunday. With Bailey having earned an engineering degree at Duke there is an outside chance he might have remembered more of what he learned while in Pittsburgh than Nate recalls.:chuckle:

Picking up marginal players prior to a game against the player's former team is part of the system - Tom Coughlin was notorious for doing it when Jax was in the same division as the Steelers

StainlessStill
09-18-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't know if Goodell has put a muzzle on discussing such things for game integrity but I'm glad someone came out and admitted this:

With four years of knowledge of the organization, Washington said he would advise Titans players and coaches this week about the schemes and personalities of the Steelers coaches.

This is why I never like players going to other teams in our division...even the practice squad.

I'm sure the defense will show Tenn new looks that Nate is not all that familiar with. I'm sure the offensive playbook is so huge that he cannot give them enough info to prepare for Dixon. He played the slot so he might be able to help the nickel back recognize looks.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Washington-Anxious-to-Face-Former-Team/130cf4cc-ad95-42b5-91b3-0a1af4a114e4

There's nothing Nate can tell these guys that isn't on film. These coaches are pure football genius and will see it on game film eventually. A player like Nate just helps them along the process of what to expect to see package wise and maybe what we like to run the best. We are aware of this, and I'm sure LeBeau will be dialing up some schemes and blitzes we haven't seen yet. Didn't Aaron Smith say LeBeau has like over 20% of the playbook updated and fresh? I bet he's in the war room right now coming up with new schemes.

Besides, when it's all said and done, you could know what's coming all day, they MUST stop us. I remember in the Bettis years, we would literally point at where we were running and tip our hats every single down and Bettis would still be rumbling and knocking people senseless. Couldn't stop it.

mesaSteeler
09-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I'd be more concerned if he were a defensive player since then he could pass on the calls used by our offense to his new teams defense. Consider that our offense and defense play each in training camp so each side must know what the other is doing and what calls they use.

Also consider that we played and beat the lucky once Arizona Turdnials in the big game. They had Whiz and Grim on their sideline. Since they were coaches they must have had our entire playbooks memorized and we still beat their lucky once butts.

The only time I think that something like this actually burned us was when the stinking Cheatriots and the lying Belicheat were cheating by reading our defensive signals in real time because they had illegally taped them from a game earlier in the season. Those lying filth cost us at least one trip to the super bowl.

I don't think the Steelers are losing any sleep over what Washington has told told the Titans.

LVSteelersfan
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Non story. I don't think the Titan's offense will know what hit them when Troy and company get done with them no matter what Washington or Bailey tell them. They will stop CJ dead in his tracks and put the game in VYs hand. Game, set, match Steelers.

tony hipchest
09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
20% of dick lebeau's playbook this year is new.

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Good point guys. I guess it's only fair since Leftwich is going to try and help us next weak. The difference is Leftwich only knew the playbook for 1 year instead of 4.

I had forgotten about Patrick Bailey...lol

Excellent point on the Superbowl. I know we don't change the playbook every year. On offense we made one major change when Tomlin came on. I remember Arians talking about it. He kept most of it, cleaned it up and added new plays. It would be too hard on the players to change the playbook every year.

I did hear NFL network talking about Jim Sorgi being able to help the Giants this week since he backed up Manning for a long time and must know the playbook well. Manning throws a lot of passes before the receiver is in position so knowing the primary may be of help. The film doesn't show "primary" but Nate will know.

In the Superbowl, I remember there was one Colts D-back that said he recognized the Bears play from college since he had the same O-coordinator or something. That helped him make a pick.

The only place where I think someone would be of help is the "what if" that did not occur on film. He could also help a little with philosophy to state clear what they are trying to do rather than coaches making a good guess what they are trying to do to fool us.

I was surprised that Ward said we ran the same running play like 15 times during the Falcons game (the one that broke for the win).