PDA

View Full Version : So how come...

3 to be 4
03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Pittsburgh has never had an NBA franchise? Its a great sports town and has had everything else. I remember the Condors. haha

But for a major city not to have an NBA team ever is kind of weird.

HburgXL06
03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I have always wondered that as well. Who are the Condors that you are referring to? A good reason why they might have not have had one recently is if you have heard the city is having a hard time holding on to the Penguins and Pirates. The management of the Pirates from what I heard is horrible and keeps being dumb trying to move the franchise and the Penguins are still having financial problems from overpaying Mario way back. I would instantly switch my affiliation from the 76ers to a Pittsburgh team if they ever had one. Peace.

BuFu

tony hipchest
03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Pittsburgh has never had an NBA franchise? Its a great sports town and has had everything else. I remember the Condors. haha

But for a major city not to have an NBA team ever is kind of weird. i think it was the vipers(?) was the closest they had.

dr. j starred in "the fish that saved pittsburgh"

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-04-2006, 09:32 PM
The Condors were an ABA team, I believe. The problem is the perception that Pittsburgh is a "BIG" city. It's really not a "big" town,we are lucky.We have most of the advantages of a "big" town but not all the problems! It still has a small town air to it that makes it a friendly place.

MattsMe
03-05-2006, 02:04 AM
dr. j starred in "the fish that saved pittsburgh"

The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh...nearly two hours of my life that I will never get back.

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-05-2006, 08:25 AM
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh...nearly two hours of my life that I will never get back.Yeah I don't think it won any Academy awards, but my Brother who was attending Pitt at the time was an extra in it.

Ambridge
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Pittsburgh isn't a huge Basketball City.

Football and Baseball have always been the Kings of the Town and over the last twenty plus years football(The Steelers)have ruled the roost.

Football at any level has always been huge in Western Pa. and it probably always will be.
Plus I don't think there's enough money in the Pittsburgh economy to successfully support four major league franchises.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates end up closing up shop in the near future and move to another city.

melroseplace
03-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm home for spring break and I took my brother to the local mall this weekend to find him a pro basketball jersey (he needs to wear one for his team photo this week) and none of the stores carried them...even D ick's only had Pitt. are the sports stores in Pittsburgh like that too? my theory was maybe because we don't have a pro team :confused:

luvmysteelers
03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Too much distraction from football..

SteelerDan43
03-06-2006, 04:43 PM
The Pirates are not going anywhere, it would be like MLB closing up teams like the Tigers, Reds, or O's something that will never happen. They have way to much history, they played in the first World Series ever!!

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Who cares about basketball anyway? Unless they raise the hoop 2 or 3 more feet, I will not watch it.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I've had a few conversations with fans from Pittsburgh over the years, and the best guess we could come up with was that Pittsburgh is JUST north and east enough (more east coast than midwest) that hockey makes more sense. Basketball is more midwestern, and hockey is more cold weather and northern in nature. When I was a kid in Ohio, there was NO hockey to be played at all, but basketball was (and still is) huge.

Not scientific at all, but probably accurate.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Not scientific at all, but probably accurate. agreed.

i bet plaxico burress would give a much more "scientific" explanation :dang: :sofunny:

blackvelvet
03-08-2006, 06:49 PM
We got the Steelers. Plus, we got Pitt. So we don't need one!