PDA

View Full Version : Backup nose tackle Hoke is a super sub

mesaSteeler
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Backup nose tackle Hoke is a super sub
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_700125.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 18, 2010

He's a backup who thinks like a starter. In Chris Hoke's world, becoming the Steelers' first-team nose tackle is one injury away.

Casey Hampton injured his hamstring during the Steelers' season-opening win against Atlanta and didn't practice this week in preparation for Sunday's game at Tennessee.

Hoke replaced Hampton against the Falcons and will make his first start in two years.

"I always look for these opportunities," said Hoke, who will be making his 16th career start in his 95th NFL game. "This is why you play the game.

"It's a different mentality. When you're a backup, you sit on the sideline, and all of a sudden, you've got to be ready to go. (Now), I'll have to go from the very first snap and carry the load that Casey does."

Hoke joked that while it seems like Hampton engages a dozen blockers on every snap, he just tries to play his role - however minor it might be.

Don't believe the hype. Hoke doesn't possesses Hampton's girth, but he's also expected to defeat double teams and plug the running game.

"They don't change the defense for me. I've got to do the same things," said Hoke, who is 14-1 in games he has started in place of Hampton. "Casey plays a lot between the tackles, and that's what I'm expected to do.

"When you know there's a really good chance you're going to start, you pay attention to the details a little more."

Hoke started three consecutive games during the 2008 season as Hampton's replacement.

The Steelers defense didn't miss a beat then, and a similar pattern emerged when Hampton left in the second quarter against Atlanta.

The Falcons never got their running game going, finishing with 58 yards on 2.3 yards a carry.

"It's been a couple of years since I started and played a full game, but I think I'll be fine," Hoke said. "I'm going to get my rest and be ready to take as many snaps as I need to get the job done."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

steeltheone
09-18-2010, 04:25 PM
We replace Smith with Eason and Ziggy...Replace Hampton with Hoke several times over....Possibly the system?

lionslicer
09-18-2010, 09:10 PM
This doesn't mention how Hoke replaced Hampton for like 12 games in 2004 and did a hell of a job, and he is constantly on the field when Hampton needs to take a breather.

ricardisimo
09-18-2010, 10:49 PM
This doesn't mention how Hoke replaced Hampton for like 12 games in 2004 and did a hell of a job, and he is constantly on the field when Hampton needs to take a breather.
But it does mention that he is 14-1 as a starter. I imagine most of those 14 came in 2004, Ben's rather magical rookie season. In truth Ben was merely competent that year, while the defense was superb.

steeltheone
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
But it does mention that he is 14-1 as a starter. I imagine most of those 14 came in 2004, Ben's rather magical rookie season. In truth Ben was merely competent that year, while the defense was superb.

The surely was awesome that year!

tony hipchest
09-18-2010, 11:49 PM
We replace Smith with Eason and Ziggy...Replace Hampton with Hoke several times over....Possibly the system?

while the system definitely helps, hoke is just a special player. there is nothing that says he should be able to step in and replace the best NT in the league, but he does it year after year, in every game.

im almost certains the steelers have fielded offers from other teams to acquire him and refused.

hoke who would be a starter anywhere else, couldve easilly threatened a hold out or demanded a trade, yet he hasnt.

Goat27
09-19-2010, 02:46 AM
According to Jamie Dukes on NFL network, Chris Johnson will get 90 something yards since the 360 plug, aint playing. Wow what a slap in the face...

ricardisimo
09-19-2010, 03:42 AM
while the system definitely helps, hoke is just a special player. there is nothing that says he should be able to step in and replace the best NT in the league, but he does it year after year, in every game.

im almost certains the steelers have fielded offers from other teams to acquire him and refused.

hoke who would be a starter anywhere else, couldve easilly threatened a hold out or demanded a trade, yet he hasnt.
Especially with how many teams want to install or experiment with a 3-4 and can't do so because they are missing a working NT.

SacknificentStew56
09-19-2010, 04:43 AM
Hoke hasn't disappointed when he filled in for BIG Hamp before and he won't start now.