PDA

View Full Version : Players around town

siss
03-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Has anyone ever ran into a player out of the Blue? Like at a resturant or a club or even at Best Buy? Are they nice guys? Do you ask them to sign an autograph or do you leave them alone.

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, I just ran into 4 Cleveland Browns, and I ignored them. If they were Steelers, I would have walked up, offered them a drink, asked them a couple questions, then left.

Steelerfan81
03-04-2006, 10:59 PM
What Browns players did you run into Suit?

I ran into Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, and couple others after the Pitt/Notre Dame game. I was walking past 'Bahama Momma's' where Woodson's bar used to be at in Station Square and they walked past me headed to the club. I just kept walking cause it was like 12am and they were up the steps by the time I realized it was them.

WWIIOwheelz
03-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Ben's a fun guy. I saw him at Midget Madness at Casey's Draft House on the Southside on a Monday Night last Fall. The place is always packed on Mondays, and he was drawing attention, but it was manageable.

I don't get out as much as I used to, but Pittsburgh's a big small town. It's inevitable you run into the guys. The hockey players I see ALL the time, used to run into Jagr & Ian Moran frequently at food places near Southpointe.

TasmanianTroy271
03-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I haven't, but my neighbor ran into Randle El at Joe's Crab Shack. Plus there's a whole "friend of a friend" thing connecting my brother to Max Starks.

tony hipchest
03-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Ben's a fun guy. I saw him at Midget Madness at Casey's Draft House on the Southside on a Monday Night last Fall. The place is always packed on Mondays, and he was drawing attention, but it was manageable.

I don't get out as much as I used to, but Pittsburgh's a big small town. It's inevitable you run into the guys. The hockey players I see ALL the time, used to run into Jagr & Ian Moran frequently at food places near Southpointe. jagr used to always get his mullet trimmed at a barbershop in lawrenceville. i never saw him but thats where my grandparents live.

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I've seen a few athletes....Haynes, Ben, Ward, Taylor. I don't bother them. Depends on the setting, normally I say hello ir scream "GO STEELERS!!!!" if I'm in a bar. I don't ask for autographs.

Pittsburghfan007
03-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I work out at Kmart in the North Hills (summer job from college) and we have had a few steelers...Logan, Ward, and Randle El I believe have dropped in

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
What Browns players did you run into Suit?

I ran into Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, and couple others after the Pitt/Notre Dame game. I was walking past 'Bahama Momma's' where Woodson's bar used to be at in Station Square and they walked past me headed to the club. I just kept walking cause it was like 12am and they were up the steps by the time I realized it was them.

Here Justin:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5762

How ya doing?

Ambridge
03-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I actually met Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby(when they were still playing with the Redskins) many years ago at Kilroy's Bar in Northern Virginia.
They were hanging out having a few drinks before being the guest Judges for a Bikini Contest that was going on that night.

They were pretty cool and down to earth guys.

SteelCurtain
03-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I ran into Kevin Greene and Charles Johnson a few years back, while I was in Pittsburgh for a Pirates and Reds game. They were nice guys and I got my picture taken with them.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Have anyone seen or meet my favorite nfl player ike taylor yet.Man I hope and pray I get to meet him someday.

siss
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Ike taylor is the type of you pray gets on your team because you woulnd't want him knocking you down!

DrunkFlea
03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen any of the players myself, but a buddy of mine does all the time.

He works at a car dealership which a lot of the Steelers go to. He said the other week Roethlisberger came in and while there, slipped on a big rubber doormat. I guess it was wet or something. Anyway, he was about to go down big time when his bodygaurd cought him. I can only imagine the lawsuit if he had got hurt!

siss
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Awww clumsy Ben thats so cute!

NV STEELERS 723
03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
How come nobody ever talks about meeting Bill Cowher or if they have how was he?

polamalufan43
03-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, I ran into Dan Rooney while I was downtown. He happens to be friends with the guy who works at the snow cone place there. I was at that stand there with a few friends and they went to find a bench. I few minutes later I started to turn around to follow them and I happened to look back and saw the Dan was behind me in line.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

fansince'76
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen any of the players myself, but a buddy of mine does all the time.

He works at a car dealership which a lot of the Steelers go to. He said the other week Roethlisberger came in and while there, slipped on a big rubber doormat. I guess it was wet or something. Anyway, he was about to go down big time when his bodygaurd cought him. I can only imagine the lawsuit if he had got hurt!

I can picture a surrealistic scene out of an old "Frankenstein" movie - citizens of the 'Burgh storming the dealership with torches in their hands.... :chuckle:

PAMillerGrrl83
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
^^Ben slipping on a mat, I can picture that with him being so tall and gangly. Glad he didnt fall though, dude is like a walking disaster, but I love him anyways LoL.

TackleMeBen
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
^^Ben slipping on a mat, I can picture that with him being so tall and gangly. Glad he didnt fall though, dude is like a walking disaster, but I love him anyways LoL.

:iagree: although i wouldnt have mind being the doormat :wink02:

BOXCAR JOEY
03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I seen jerome bettis driving once. it was awesome cuz i just drove into the city after my cross state drive and i was like OMG its Bettis!

polamalufan43
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Wow, Ben has a bodyguard. With the luck he has I would have expected a SWAT team, lol... jk jk.

I can picture a surrealistic scene out of an old "Frankenstein" movie - citizens of the 'Burgh storming the dealership with torches in their hands.... :chuckle:
I think instead of torches it would be terrible towels, and everyone would be wearing Steelers gear....

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

TackleMeBen
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
i would think he would have the national guard protecting him..lol

maybe this way he would not be so prone to accidents..lol

steelpinstripe72
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
How come nobody ever talks about meeting Bill Cowher or if they have how was he?

I've never met him, but I know someone who has. This girl and I were at Ithaca College together - she's from the `Burgh, and she went to school and was friends with Cowher's oldest daughter. Had 3rd row seats behind the bench for the games and got to go to Super Bowl XL. To her, he's just a normal guy, her friend's dad.

DJfan
03-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Does vegas count? I went into a cigar shop to buy and had my jersey on (as always). Guy said that Troy left the shop about 10 minutes before I came in. Too bad. I had his jersey on. Went looking for him, but never did see him. Closest I have come.

PAMillerGrrl83
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
:iagree: although i wouldnt have mind being the doormat :wink02:

LoL I dont think I would've wanted Big Ben to step on me, lay on me, yes, step on me...no thanks LoL.

LarryNJ
03-13-2007, 09:41 PM
OK..I'm going to show my age a little but:

Willie Stargell several times while I was a bus boy at Kings back in the mid 70's. Franco Harris at a bar called Alexander Graham Bells downtown in the late 70's. Ronnie Francis at a resturant in Greentree. I never ask for autographs I just said hello and shock their hands.

caligirlsteelerfan86
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM

I meet Cowher over the summer during training camp. I was in town for visiting family and my Dad took me out to his local bar one night. He told me Cowher usually shows up pretty late (guessing after all his meeting, ect). We were at Spitfire Grill in Greensburg, having some beers, and it was getting late I think little after 11:00PM (I was up for 24 hrs...thats why I say late). Very nice mercedes parks across the street, and my Dad says..."cohwers here". He sat up at the bar with a few older guys, talking and having a few beers. My Dad said, "Here is your chance, go up and shake his hand". I didn't want to bother him, sure he had a long day. The waitress came over, so I decided to get a beer for Cowher...Rolling Rock. When he got his beer the waitress pointed at me, and I went up and congrat him on the Super Bowl and wished him the best for the season. He was friendly, thanked me for the beer, and had some small talk. My Dad and I wear leaving Cowher came over to say goodbye and thanks for the beer again. I'm not sure why...but I thought he wouldn't be as friendly. But, he was really cool. Wish I got a pic with him, but thought that was pushing it.

Buzz05
03-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I met Hines and Deshae at Hine's bar on the South Side. The LockerRoom. He owns it with Jerome. Hines was a real nice guy, he was behind the bar helping out. I asked him if I could by him a shot, 1 for him and 1 for all my friends and I said his choice. We ended up getting 6 Jager Bombs total. he charged me like $20. real classy guy. Nice guy. Got our picture takin with him. The I told him to kick the hell outa the Clowns since they were playin them on Sunday (This was the Super Bowl year right before we blanked them in Cleveland). Deshae was nice too, talkative with us. But we all wanted to talk to Hines. Couldnt have asked for a better host.