PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Leftwich For One Game

SteelCityMom
09-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Steelers release Leftwich for one game
Saturday, September 18, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Steelers released quarterback Byron Leftwich today with the intention of re-signing him after their game against the Tennessee Titans here on Sunday.

They needed room on their roster to sign defensive tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad. With starting nose tackle Casey Hampton ruled out of the game with a hamstring injury, the Steelers were left shorthanded on their defensive line.

Chris Hoke will start for Hampton at nose tackle, leaving them with two backups, both ends -- Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood. Both also have filled in at nose tackle. But temperatures here are supposed to be in the low 90s on Sunday, and the Steelers want to rotate their backups in with their starters to keep them all fresh.

Leftwich was listed as probable after missing the first game because of a sprained MCL in his left knee. He was scheduled to be the third quarterback today, but they now will go with starter Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch, as they did in the first game against Atlanta.

They likely will re-sign Leftwich on Monday or Tuesday, and he will not miss a paycheck because he is guaranteed his full salary this season.

McLendon is a first-year player from Troy State. He is 6-4, 280 pounds.

For more on the Steelers, read the Ed Bouchette On the Steelers blog at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10261/1088631-100.stm#ixzz0zv2oZvbT

zulater
09-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey, now the league can't stop Ben from associating with Byron! They can go watch the game at FRiday's together.:chuckle:

StainlessStill
09-18-2010, 05:09 PM
This must mean that the whole entire team hates Leftwhich. There is no other reason why we would release him and single him out. Even though we are signing him back, he is not liked by our team.

Just kidding, just doing my best DBL impression. This will allow Lefty another couple days to rehab and try to get off his feet and come back with a strong practice. If DD doesn't have a good game, Lefty's preparation can be key for us going to Tampa. Lets hope we don't have to worry about that.

pete74
09-18-2010, 05:18 PM
they did it just to add another defensive line player for this weeks game and will resign him monday

SteelKnight
09-18-2010, 07:02 PM
they did it just to add another defensive line player for this weeks game and will resign him monday

I don't get the move. I don't want to see that PS guy in there against Chris Johnson.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't get the move. I don't want to see that PS guy in there against Chris Johnson.

Probably would not need to do it a month from now but as the P-G notes with the never ending summer in the South this year the theory apparently is the D-line players need to cut down on the reps tomorrow

I agree major minutes for a practice squad player is yet another reason why the Titans game does not look promising - would be nice to see Ziggy Hood step up and play major minutes at DT and NT tomorrow - if Pouncey can start as a rook at center it would seem Ziggy should be ready to go in year 2

ricardisimo
09-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Seems like depending upon whose articles you read, Ziggy either takes snaps at NT to give him more chances to get on the field, or he is purely a DE, period. Don't know who to believe anymore... i guess we'll see.

Maybe Snack has skewed the numbers a bit with his size, but Ziggy does seem a bit svelte for NT.

Spinlcrack
09-19-2010, 03:35 AM
I would be very surprised if McLendon saw any time in this game. He certainly will not have major minutes. I see Hood subbing at NT and Eason on the ends.

DanRooney
09-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Ziggy Hood is terrible as a 3-4 DE. However, he did show some promise at NT.

2009 was a pretty bad draft class altogether minus Mike Wallace.

stb_steeler
09-19-2010, 08:19 AM
This must mean that the whole entire team hates Leftwhich. There is no other reason why we would release him and single him out. Even though we are signing him back, he is not liked by our team.

Just kidding, just doing my best DBL impression. This will allow Lefty another couple days to rehab and try to get off his feet and come back with a strong practice. If DD doesn't have a good game, Lefty's preparation can be key for us going to Tampa. Lets hope we don't have to worry about that.

Admit it dude u miss the guy.....:rofl:

StainlessStill
09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Admit it dude u miss the guy.....:rofl:

I don't dislike the dude, but it's no coincidence that my message board stress has gone way down since his departure or vacation or whatever you wanna call it and I want to keep it that way.:applaudit::hatsoff:

steelerchad
09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Serious question. What are the rules for another team to sign leftwich before we can resign him. Could a team like Baltimore sign him leaving us shorthanded for our matchup in 2 weeks. With the Dixon injury, we are extremely thin at QB.

tony hipchest
09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Serious question. What are the rules for another team to sign leftwich before we can resign him. Could a team like Baltimore sign him leaving us shorthanded for our matchup in 2 weeks. With the Dixon injury, we are extremely thin at QB.

leftwich is a free agent. anyone can sign him.

but him and the team have a gentlemans handshake that this is a 1 week deal built out of neccessity and he will be back.

i can see leftwich doing what is best for "team".

i cant se him welching on the deal. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
if i was him , i'd ask for mo money ....:chuckle: