PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Update

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

SteelerDan43
04-21-2006, 10:35 PM
wait did wilson just get hurt??? it said injury delay then duffy came in to run for him... All i got is espn gamecast so I dont know what happened!!!!

SteelerDan43
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
garrrrrrrrrr Burnitz is a bum

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
wait did wilson just get hurt??? it said injury delay then duffy came in to run for him... All i got is espn gamecast so I dont know what happened!!!!

No injury, just came in for him.

SteelerDan43
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
No injury, just came in for him.

Damn ESPN got me all worried...

SteelerDan43
04-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Here is my first attempt at a Pirates editorial/blog what ever you want to call it

SteelerDan43
04-22-2006, 12:09 PM
New Bucs Old Bucs

So far this year we have seen just about all of it. From the thumping of the class of the NL in the St. Louis Cardinals, to getting blown out by an offensively mediocre Los Angeles Dodgers. From Duke's 2-1 gem against the Cards to the 5 earned runs in 3.1 innings given up by Oliver Perez against the Reds. So where will the Pirates go from here? Will they be the poor pitching great hitting team we saw early or the decent to good pitching team that cant scrap a run together of 05 and recent games. I have to believe that it will fall somewhere in the middle.

So far this year we rank 19th in team batting average and 13th in runs. Mind you that the runs ranking is a little off because we are one of only two teams that have played 18 games thus far. The one offensive statistic that stands out so far is the home runs. We rank 3rd in the league with 26 (Reds lead with 32). This is due largely in part to the amazing power surge of Craig Wilson over the past home stand. He had all but one of his home runs within 6 days. Since then he has cooled of a little as he is homerless in the last four games striking out at least once in those games. This power surge by the Bucs is not just from C.Wilson though. The other Wilson, Jack has four HR in one less game than Jason Bay who also has four. This comes as a big surprise as the Pirates last year were 22nd in the league in home runs.

First off if you don’t have the Baseball Prospectus 2006 get out of your chair drive to the book store and get it. It is the best 20 bucks you will spend outside of a ticket to the game. It is pretty much the baseball bible. They have full stat projections for 1600 players including the Pirates. These projections are made through a detailed formula and previous player performance along with ball park factors. I won’t go into how its done but it is detailed in the book. Ok now that my little Baseball Prospectus speech is over I'll get back to what I was saying before. They have Bay projected to hit 32 HR in 682 AB. That’s approximately 21.3 AB/HR. So far this year that number is down to 14.25 AB/HR. J.Wilson has improved from a mark of 78.5 AB/HR to 15 AB/HR. J.Wilson's power surge is even more impressive than Craig's as even in Jack's breakout offensive year in 04 he only hit 11 home runs. He is almost halfway to that number already in 18 games. Very Impressive but not likely to continue. Craig Wilson has gone from 22.2 AB/HR in 04 to 47.6 AB/HR in his injury plagued 05 campaign to a ridiculous mark of 8 AB/HR so far this year. The one other guy not mentioned much is Burnitz who has hit four home runs this year, 1/6th of his total last year in just 1/9th of the games. It would be nice to see these numbers continue but they will most likely come down. Lets just hope not to much. Bay, Burnitz, Craig Wilson and Jack Wilson are projected to hit 32, 21, 17, and 8 home runs respectively. They are already at 18 home runs as a group this year, but will they be able to beat the projected mark of 78 home runs? More than likely yes.

As opposed to the hitters this year the Pirates pitching staff has gone the other way regressing from a mediocre staff last year to an absolutely horrid one. So far we have the fifth worst ERA in the league and that’s been helped out by the few recent well pitched games. The Starters ERAs have been Duke 4.50, Santos 5.85, Maholm 6.11, Perez 6.75, and Snell 9.60. That’s just plain bad. There is no other way to look at it, you cant sugar coat those numbers. Duke has all but one of our quality starts this year. He has been the only guy worth a damn putting out there. Perez had one good start, Snell will pitch decent for 4 innings then have a major brain fart and give up a multi-run inning. Santos has been mediocre at best. Maholm is the biggest disappointment in my opinion. He pitched stellar last year and has Duke like stuff but just hasn’t been able to pitch effectively. Its not a good thing when your team leader in wins is a rubber armed set up man who is past his prime. Torres has pitched decent this year and has appeared in 10 games already but has fell off some from his 05 ERA of 2.76 posting an ERA up over three at 3.14. One thing you can say good about the team is the GM Dave Littlefield's scrapheap reclamation project for the year in Roberto Hernandez was a actually a good deal! In 8.1 innings he has given up just 2 runs and has a 2.16 ERA. He has also been an effective mentor to Mike Gonzalez while he is getting the hang of the closer's role. Mike has been so far what we thought he would be. He has collected both saves in his two save opportunities. He does have a 3.00 ERA in 6 innings but he is striking out a man an inning so far with six Ks and only one walk. I have one more word about the pitching staff, GET RID OF VOGELSONG!!! I don’t care if you send him down, trade him for an A ball player, or give him away for a song and a dance. He needs to go. He can't get guys out to save his life. I don’t care who you bring up he has to be better than Vogey.

So where do we go from here?? In the last 10 games we are 4-6, infinitely better than the 0-7 start but still not where we want to be. I would expect the bats to cool off some which they have already started to do. I would also expect the pitching to be better as it has. I don’t think the pitching will be as good as last year but I think the offense will be slightly better. That would put us at slightly better than last years 95 losses. At this point with the extremely poor start our ceiling is at a 85-87 loss season, Not the .500 season we want but closer.

tony hipchest
04-22-2006, 12:51 PM
well done steelerdan. if you write it i will read it. i definitely enjoy and appreciate the yin/yang viewpoints of 83-steelers-43 and yourself. since i dont see many games it definitely gives me a better perspective of the club, rather than just listenning to or reading from national media outlets. keep it up.

83-Steelers-43
04-22-2006, 03:38 PM
That would put us at slightly better than last years 95 losses. At this point with the extremely poor start our ceiling is at a 85-87 loss season, Not the .500 season we want but closer.

I pretty much agree with your entire breakdown up to this point Dan, well done. But the quote above is a testament towards the mind frame Pirate fans have had the last ten years. Personally, I would have left out the "but closer" ending and have simply stated it was another hyped up Pirate season of false hopes and playing under .500 ball. Like I stated in another post, Pirate fans seem content with playing under .500 baseball. We seem to blow it off like it's no thing..lol. Here's an excellent article by Dejan Kovacevic pertaining to this specific topic. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06111/683960-63.stm

My fear and understandably so, is when and if we actually do start playing good ball in future years, it will be time for our annual whole sale of players that we can no longer afford to pay. While I'm sure many will have reasons why that may not happen, I will believe it when I see it. When the Yankees or Red Sox come knocking on our door with those fat checks we will see what happens.

SteelerDan43
04-22-2006, 09:14 PM
In no way am I satisfied or content with .500, seeing teams like the Marlins start from nothing win a world series dump the team and rebuild and win another world series while we are still "rebuilding" is just angering. I want a winner just like everyone else. Do I see it with the Nuttings writing the checks? probably not. But I'll still root for them no matter how bad it gets, praying one of these times we can get through the .500 barrier and become a contender. We have at least have a general direction, even though management forgets what has worked and what hasnt in the past. I guess in the end it comes down to hoping every year that we will get there even though I know the chances are slim at best. It's sad to see one of the proudest franchises in baseball fall this far. But there is a glimmer of hope..... at least we aren't the Royals!

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Seven straight losses. The pitching and the bats look horrible. It also makes a ton of sense to bench a ball player that is currently batting .357 in Freddy Sanchez. Very smart. :rolleyes:

SteelerDan43
04-26-2006, 11:20 AM
game is on ESPN this afternoon I believe

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
game is on ESPN this afternoon I believe

Yes it is.

SteelerDan43
04-26-2006, 04:34 PM
2-6 in 1 run games.... now we have a worse winning pct. than the royals. Eldred now gone for the year. Its goin in the tank fast. If you want all star tickets the going rate is 1300 a piece.

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
tie it up in the 9th inning against an excellent team, only to lose it to a hit by puhols, who theyd walked all day :dang:

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Pujols is amazing! But what the frig, Lets Go Bucs, we hit two bombs and only muster up 3 runs?

SteelerDan43
04-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Two in a row! Another close game with the Phils, 3-2 Win and most importantly a quality start made by Maholm!

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Watch out! Here come the Pirates! lol.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Go Bucs! Lets Go Bucs!

SteelerDan43
04-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Snell and Maholm have dropped their era's significantly, 6.11 to 5.86 and 9.60 to 5.79 respectivley. I know it doesnt mean much now that we have dug ourselves in a major hole but its good to see these guys getting their head back in the game and being more of what we saw last year

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Snell and Maholm have dropped their era's significantly, 6.11 to 5.86 and 9.60 to 5.79 respectivley. I know it doesnt mean much now that we have dug ourselves in a major hole but its good to see these guys getting their head back in the game and being more of what we saw last year damn. i guess that means the 1962 mets record for most losses in a season is out of the question.

SteelerDan43
04-30-2006, 12:08 AM
damn. i guess that means the 1962 mets record for most losses in a season is out of the question.

You still got the Royals and the 14 million dollar team in the Marlins

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 12:39 AM
You still got the Royals and the 14 million dollar team in the Marlinslol. that is one record the pirates better not break. they are so close in so many games, im not too concerned about them being the worst of all time. but damn. just the fact that they come into this conversation (worst of all time) sucks.

SteelerDan43
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
lol. that is one record the pirates better not break. they are so close in so many games, im not too concerned about them being the worst of all time. but damn. just the fact that they come into this conversation (worst of all time) sucks.

We have had 8 1-run games and have only come out on the winning side twice. It would be nice to get the sweep against the Phils

83-Steelers-43
04-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Current comments from one of the beloved Pirate owners, Kevin McClatchy pertaining to this years Pirates and about a few fans starting to grumble: "Nobody has had it as hard as me.".

This guy is joking right? It's not the people who open the wallets to watch false hopes every year huh Kevin?

One on one interview on WTAE news tonight. This guy is a dope. A complete tool.

83-Steelers-43
04-30-2006, 04:28 PM
And the "streak" stops at two. lol. Pirates lose 5-1 to the Phillies.

SteelerDan43
04-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Unlike Duke and of recent Maholm and Snell Perez just cant put it together

83-Steelers-43
05-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Well, that was one horrible month of baseball for the Pirates.

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 09:15 AM
It's about time.................http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06122/686717-63.stm

On a side note, how about Arroyo? lol. Another one.

SteelerDan43
05-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Ya at some point you cant say anything but the guy went out there and just didnt get the job done, he sucked. As far as the Paulino thing goes, he has called games better obviuosly and has been decent at the plate so you got to keep him in there for now, Cota is inept at the plate to put it nicely. Doumit is quickly turning into a JR House that made it to Pittsburgh before he got hurt. McLouth and Duffy are evenly shitty so far this year. Arroyo was another Spin Williams failure then he left and a real coach showed him how to do it.

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey, whadda ya know, they are actually playing Freddy Sanchez and he has gone 3 for 4 with 2 RBI's and the Pirates are winning 8-0 in the 6th.

clevestinks
05-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I don`t get alot of Steelers game here, but I left work early today to watch the game, on WGN, so far so good 8-0 Bucs. The Duke is on

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I live 55 miles from Chicago. So I live in Cubs country. Hey our Buccos are kicking the Cubbies tail today. Zach Duke is the real deal. I love this kid. He has such great command for a young pitcher. Hopefully Snell can have another solid outing like he did the last time he pitched.

Sanchez should be in the lineup. Joe Randa hasn't done crap so far. It was nice to see Burnitz go yard. He needs to start hitting. I hope Bay gets going soon as well. The Wilson's have been the only consistent hitters all year. I love my Steelers and they are my favorite sports team. But I also love the Buccos and hope they finally have a 500 or above season. I was 11-13 years old when the Pirates won those three NL East championships. Those days seem so long ago now.

SteelerDan43
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
The one positive thing Ive seen Bay change this year is that he is much more disciplined at the plate he is walking a good bit more than last year. I just checked and he is 5th in the NL in BB

SteelerDan43
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Here is a little bit of perspective on another reason that the Pirates are struggling, we have the second hardest schedule of anyone in the league, the NL Central is by far the best division in baseball. We have the top 4 teams in RPI (Brewers, Reds, Cards, Cubs) and the top 3 in SOS (Brewers, Pirates, Cubs). 5 teams are over .500, the next best division has only 3.

SteelerDan43
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Snell has struck out 7 in just 3 innings, Feddy Sanchez homered of Pedro. 1-1 through 3.5

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Go Buccos its great seeing Snell pitching well. Sanchez needs to start everyday. Beat' em Bucs Beat'em Bucs

SteelerDan43
05-03-2006, 08:48 PM
he's up to 9 strike outs now

83-Steelers-43
05-03-2006, 11:01 PM
And we lose 4-3 in 12 innings.

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
And we lose 4-3 in 12 innings.

yeh what a game, I thought we where going to pull it out oh well

SteelerDan43
05-03-2006, 11:06 PM
that makes like 2-14 on the road i believe

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 11:42 PM

yep dont remind me

83-Steelers-43
05-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Torres blew the game last night. Starting pitching means jack shit when you can't hit the ball and your bullpen gives up six runs. Plus our bats are non-existent. As for our supposed "slugger", Jason Bay has been very quiet.

8-22 record. :pity:

SteelerDan43
05-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Ya it has been completley opposite of the beginning of the year. Torres just had a bad night. Maholm pitched very nicely though.

3 to be 4
05-05-2006, 06:41 AM
the Royals still havent won a road game. its so bad that because i went to one game the first week of the season, the Royals ticket office called me yesterday to beg me to buy a package. i will if its still 7 bucks and they include Red Sox and Yankees.

83-Steelers-43
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm sure that makes all Pirate fans feel better. We don't suck as bad as the Royals. Thank God for that....lol.

83-Steelers-43
05-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Ollie, Ollie, Ollie.......what happened buddy?

BlackNGold203
05-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm sure that makes all Pirate fans feel better. We don't suck as bad as the Royals. Thank God for that....lol.

LOL...we arent much better....all Ive asked of the Buccos lately is to keep me interested until late July..when Latrobe opens....

not this year

SteelerDan43
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
From ESPN... Any takers?
May 8 - There is reason to believe the Pirates might soon be on the market, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. Owner Kevin McClatchy has hinted he might want to sell after the All-Star Game.

Unfortunately, sellers likely will not be lining up to purchase small-market franchises with a history of losing.

I can think of one guy in particular!!!!

83-Steelers-43
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

clevestinks
05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
That is worst, as much as i think we can hit the ball, we suck

83-Steelers-43
05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Woohooo!!!

Pirates Notebook: Bautista gets his shot, and it might count
Monday, May 08, 2006

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON -- Jose Bautista rolled his suitcase into RFK Stadium early yesterday morning, freshly recalled from Class AAA Indianapolis to "fill the spot" -- Pirates manager Jim Tracy's words -- of third baseman Joe Randa, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a fractured foot.

But is that really all Bautista will do?

To find inspiration that he might stay a good while longer, all he has to do is look across the clubhouse at Ronny Paulino, who was recalled two weeks ago to fill the spot of Ryan Doumit and suddenly is the No. 1 catcher.

"I saw that," Bautista said. "I feel like I've got a chance to stick around. If the timing is right and I make a good impression, I know I have an opportunity."

"Why not?" Paulino said. "I was supposed to be here for a few days, I just did my job, and look what happened. I think everybody has a chance here. Especially somebody like Jose."

There is ample cause for such a forecast:

At 25, Bautista is the Pirates' most major-league-ready prospect, combining a smooth stroke with outstanding defense.

He can play every position but catcher and first base. He is primarily a third baseman, but he also has spent plenty of time in center field -- including one inning yesterday -- where the Pirates have yet to find an answer.

He is coming off a spring training that was "as good as anyone on our team," Tracy reiterated yesterday.

After a slow start at Indianapolis, he raised his average from .218 to .277 in the past two weeks. That included a .384 clip in his final seven games.

The first indicator that Bautista will get a serious look came when Tracy penciled his name atop the order yesterday. Leadoff has been a sore spot with the Pirates, and Bautista had a .370 on-base percentage in Indianapolis, thanks largely to 14 walks.

The more potent indicator came in the game when Bautista went 2 for 4 with a triple, an RBI single, a walk and a run against Washington.

"I saw the same player we had in Bradenton for six weeks," Tracy said. "He hit the ball on the screws four times."

That will not be the last of Bautista, Tracy pledged.

"He's no different than Paulino," Tracy said. "We're not going to bring him to the ballpark and have him sit around."

83-Steelers-43
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
That is worst, as much as i think we can hit the ball, we suck

Yeah, that's putting it mildly..........

.299 on base percentage (lowest in the NL)

86 Pirate walks (fewest in the league)

.234 batting average (second lowest in the NL)

It's pretty pathetic.

SteelerDan43
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
We are 17th in HR also

SID
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
We have no one to blame but ourselves, this team wont be good until the idiot owners start losing money and are forced to sell the team to someone competent. I use to enjoy going to watch a Pirates game but I will not buy one ticket this year nore will I even leave my house during the All Star Game. I wont put any of my money into the pockets of the owners of this team.

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I use to enjoy going to watch a Pirates game but I will not buy one ticket this year nore will I even leave my house during the All Star Game. I wont put any of my money into the pockets of the owners of this team.

Same here brother. The view, the food, the drinks, the park itself only holds the interest of people for so long until people start to say "ummm, what about a good ball team to actually go with it?". The people that complain and still attend the games are the ones that I simply shake my head towards. Why go?

SteelerDan43
05-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Ya a boycott, that will work. All that does it give them a reason to decrease the payroll even further

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I just find the people that complain and then turn around and spend good cash at a Pirate game idiotic. Why would I give money to a team who's ownership has been completely horrible? Like I said, I have no problem at all cheering on a team that doesn't make the playoffs or doesn't win a championship. But I do have a problem with spending cash on a team that can't crack .500 for twelve years straight. Call me crazy. :rolleyes:

Since you brought up a boycott. I wouldn't mind seeing it. It might just give those idiot owners we have a message. When their pockets are lighter they might think twice about wanting to own this ball club. It would never happen because a good number of Pirate fans are either A) In denial or B) Gullible. It's better than sitting here and taking it up the shoot every year. It's better than hearing some idiot give excuses every year for our failures (fans and ownership alike). Some fans like to take it. Other fans take a stand.

SteelerDan43
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I just find the people that complain and then turn around and spend good cash at a Pirate game idiotic. Why would I give money to a team who's ownership has been completely horrible? Like I said, I have no problem at all cheering on a team that doesn't make the playoffs or doesn't win a championship. But I do have a problem with spending cash on a team that can't crack .500 for twelve years straight. Call me crazy. :rolleyes:

Since you brought up a boycott. I wouldn't mind seeing it. It might just give those idiot owners we have a message. When their pockets are lighter they might think twice about wanting to own this ball club. It would never happen because a good number of Pirate fans are either A) In denial or B) Gullible. It's better than sitting here and taking it up the shoot every year. It's better than hearing some idiot give excuses every year for our failures (fans and ownership alike). Some fans like to take it. Other fans take a stand.

Ya it was you and Sid who brought up the hey lets not go to the games. Its been discussed by just about every Pirates board at one time or another. Boycotting is impractical and just doesnt work.

PS. I am a gullible idiot

clevestinks
05-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I`m afraid that a boycott will lead the Pirates out of the burgh, Mark Cuban please save us!

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Ya it was you and Sid who brought up the hey lets not go to the games. Its been discussed by just about every Pirates board at one time or another. Boycotting is impractical and just doesnt work.

PS. I am a gullible idiot

Yeah, it's just sad that after thirteen years and still counting many decide not to bother throwing away cash on a product that is horrible. Yeah, it's obvious your a college boy in NY state and not supporting a family....lol. Can you blame people for not attending? Going by your comments, obviously you do. You think Sid and I are the only ones that finally decided to call it quits? Please. Wake up.

As for you stating that you are a gullible idiot......ummmm, congratulations? I didn't say it.

SteelerDan43
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
3-0 Win. Snell With a great game.

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Right....

Anyways...good job Snell.

SteelerDan43
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
We obviously have completly opposite views on everything. So Im just gonna leave it at that

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
We obviously have completly opposite views on everything. So Im just gonna leave it at that

What's wrong with that? All I'm saying is that it's easier when your in college and paying for one ticket, one hotdog, one drink compared to a guy that pays for 3 tickets, 3 hot dogs and 3 drinks at the least. I'm not married nor do I have any kids but I can understand where a guy with a family of four or five is coming from when he states he doesn't want to bother spending cash toward a ball team that has completely sucked for the last twelve years. I also can understand when a single guy or girl states that they don't want to spend cash at a Pirate game.

SteelerDan43
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
If you get the second deck outfield tickets for 9 bucks a pop or even the left field bleachers for 14 bucks its really not that expensive. A father and two sons can get to the game pretty cheap. 10 bucks to park (less if you know where to go), 3 tickets, and just grab a dog or peanuts and a water in the city before you walk over the bridge. Approx. 60 bucks. That might get you one ticket and let you park for the Steelers and Pens. As far as not attending thats everyone's individual choice, if you dont want to go, dont go. There are still alot of people that are going to keep going. Its a beautiful place, it's a great atmosphere. And for at least me its about the memories. I remember getting to go to one game a year at three rivers and we always saw them play the Astros or Expos and it seemed like we never won, but I cant remember any score. But I do remember being at the games with my dad and brother. Its still something I can do with my dad every year over the summer and will continue to do for as long as I can. I will always remember going to the ball game with my dad for as long as I live. I wolnt be able to remember the score, but I will remember being there. Even if your a single guy/girl going with your buddies it is still a fun time, down the road at some point you'll be able to tell the story where you danced like a moron and got on the jumbotron or messed up the trivia question and got the stupid prize. I want them to win as much as the next guy, but I will still go no matter how bad it gets. In the end 25 years from now you will not be able to remember if we lost or not but you'll be able to remember going to the ball park on a summer evening with your buddies or your family. At least thats why I am going to keep going back every year.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Well, warm, fuzzy memories are all nice and great, but I'm not spending money on memories, a nice view and good food at a baseball game. We all have memories. I'll tell you what I am willing to spend money on......a baseball team that can prove they are worth spending money on. I don't care if it's ten bucks or five hundred bucks. It's gotten to the point where it's not worth it.

You want to continue attending games? More power to you. More and more fans are starting to realize that dancing on the jumbotron, false hopes, pathetic PR commercials, memories of twelve years ago, good food and the nice view are simply not worth it anymore. Fielding a product that is worth watching is what the people want, what they expect and what they deserve. They have yet to see that in PNC Park.

From what I gathered, you like to spend money on memories, I like to spend money on a product that is worth it. To each their own. At the same time, I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not looking for a World Series Championship or even a playoff run. I'm looking for a team that shows they are heading in the right direction. This team is not. A team that holds my interest. It's tough. An ownership that proves to me that they want to win. I have yet to see it. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you are wrong for attending games nor would I tell somebody who feels that attending Pirate games is just not worth it anymore that they are in the wrong. I do find people who complain about the team and ownership and then turn around and buy a ticket (putting cash in ownerships pocket where it eventually goes to paying an overrated big name) complete idiots. That's all.

SteelerDan43
05-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Dont get me wrong, I go to watch the game. I love baseball, I love the nuances of the game, the drama it provides. The memories are a pleasant by product that makes me enjoy going even more. Does it frustrate me when the team fails at fundamentals? yes. Do the roster decisions frustrate me? of course. I want them to win. I am a Pirates fan and no matter how bad it gets I will always be, Im not going to desert the team then just come back when we start winning. The team is bigger than the owners, the players go out there every day and play their hearts out. Thats why I continue to go and support the Pittsburgh Pirates and the players. Playing in an empty stadium is not going to help the players, THEY deserve our support as fans. The owner situation is what it is, nothing we are going to do as fans is going to change anything. Not one person could show up and they would still turn a profit.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't look at it as deserting the team. I'm deserting the ownership. Big difference there. I wouldn't even use the term "desertion". I prefer smart spending and making a statement. When on TV I root for them. I cheer when they win and shake my head when they lose. But until they prove to me that they want to field a winning team and acutally play respectable baseball, they will not get a cent from me. Until then I will continue to be a Pirate fan, but like hell am I going to contribute to Kevin McClatchy's pockets.

83-Steelers-43
05-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow, Bay needs to start hitting....0-4, has batted with runners on base every time, only time he advanced a runner was while grounding into a double play in the first that allowed McLouth to score. Twice he hit into a double play. First time we had bases loaded with one out and the second time we had a guy on first and third with one out.

In todays game (which was cancelled), Tracy had Bay penciled in to bat 6th.

83-Steelers-43
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Well we are officially now the most pathetic team in baseball.

Few things pertaining to Tracy. While I don't feel screaming and yelling is a cure for every ball team, but can Tracy show some type of emotion? All I keep hearing is that it's early in the season, but can this team afford to have that frame of mind? I understand if your the Yankees or Red Sox. You listen to the manager and players, they act like they are cruising past .500 and on their way to a playoff birth. Wake the %$&@ up.

Also, the Burnitz situation. His jogging to first base after grounding out a few games back. Tracy's response....."Did you think he would've been safe?". What?!?!?! What kind of pathetic response is that? Your the manager for Christ sake. Maybe, just maybe if Burnitz was batting over .300 this wouldn't be a big deal, but this is a complete embarrassament. That's what the paying fans of PNC Park are paying for? The whole team is at a point where they accept losing. If they don't, they sure have a funny way of showing it. With Tracy's response, he's not falling into good graces with the fans either. I can understand batting .150, but not being able to run out a ground ball? Everybody can do that. "Did you think he would've been safe?".......unbelievable. Now I see where the players get it from. I guess that's the "heart" and determination from the players and now the GM that I keep hearing about and that I should be paying for? Please.

The Burnitz situation is just one of many reasons why this team wonders why it hasn't had a winning season in fourteen years. Anybody who feels that's the right frame of mind to have when you are the most pathetic ball team in baseball obviously has been drinking the Pirate kool-aid way too long. There is no excuse.

And on that note, good article from Cook this morning: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06135/690233-87.stm

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Even though It would not surprise me to see Randa back at third when he fully heals, Bautista deserves that spot. Kid played great in Spring training, he was called up and in seven games he is batting .333 (9 for 27) with two home runs. He has taken over the leadoff spot and has an on-base percentage of .471 and eight runs scored. But as usual, this team will pick money horribly spent over young talent that are actually putting up numbers.

It was nice to see Burnitz break out of his slump. I'm sure he will be back in it for the next ten games. That seems to be his "style"...lol.

SteelerDan43
05-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Once the get Jack back they should move Freddy over to third and put Bautista back in the OF. Hopefully they both keep hitting and dont suffer from Duffy syndrome. Randa should be riding the pine, along with Burnitz. But they will still trot Burnitz out there every game unfortunatley. I would like to see an OF of Bay in left, McLouth in center, and Bautista in right. And maybey just maybey they will let them go out there and become of cohesive unit before they blow the team up at the all star break. On another note Wells is on schedule to be back at the break.

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Hell, I don't care where they put Bautista, just keep the kid up here. But once again, money horribly spent will prevail over young talent that's putting up good, solid numbers. Go figure.

SteelerDan43
05-17-2006, 09:51 AM
The only reason I said to put him in the OF is so we could keep Freddy in the game when Jack comes back. Either way Bautista needs to be in there somewhere while he is hitting the ball.

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
The only reason I said to put him in the OF is so we could keep Freddy in the game when Jack comes back. Either way Bautista needs to be in there somewhere while he is hitting the ball.

And like I said, I don't care where they put the kid. OF, third base, first base. Wherever. Just keep him up here. Even if his bat starts to cool off, you might as well keep him up here. It's not like we are going to make a playoff run, let alone reach .500. Why not let the kids play together. Personally, that's what I thought they should have done before they signed Burnitz, Randa, Hernandez and Casey. While many were having wet dreams over the signings, I was calling for another under. 500 season and just letting the young kids take over. When you bring in old, used up ball players, what do you expect? Injuries and underachievement.

What it comes down to with me, I would rather see the kids play over that horrible product this franchise fielded once again. It will never happen though. That would mean Littlefield and McClatchy would have to admit that they were in the wrong and blew it once again. Unfortunately, for those of us who no longer choose to drink the Pirate kool-aid already realized that they dropped the ball once again in typical fashion before the season even started.

SteelerDan43
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
At this point we might as well play the kids since we are so far out. I am at least happy they didnt take Snell out of the rotation. I would like to see C.Wilson at first, Castillo at second, J.Wilson (when he comes back) at short, Freddy at 3rd, Bay in left, McLouth at center, Bautista at right, and Paulino at catcher. Give away Randa and Burnitz for a song and a dance.

SteelerDan43
05-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Pirates won last night 7-2, Perez was still mediocre at best, 6IP 2 ER 5BB 5K. Got more lucky than anything by running into a slumping Reds team. McLouth went 2-3 with an RBI, Sanchez wend 3-5 with 3 RBI, and Bay went 2-4 with a RBI. Bautista had 2 walks from the lead off spot, something Duffy just couldnt do to save his life. Bautista and Burnitz were the only starters held hitless but Bautista at least scored a run, Burnitz sucked it up going 0-3 with a K and 3 LOB. He is hitting a stellar .194 lol. The Buccos actually have a chance to sweep the now second place Reds

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2006, 09:30 AM
McLouth also had a solo shot HR. Perez is still not the same and Burnitz did what I expected him to do.

clevestinks
05-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I`ll be at the Pirates game Fri. and Sunday in Cleveland, lets go Bucs. Do`nt let me down

83-Steelers-43
05-19-2006, 09:09 AM
We blew a 6-0 lead yesterday afternoon to lose 9-8.

Also, Duffy failed to report to Indy. It still amazes me that our management messed with this kid's batting. It makes zero sense. I don't blame the kid for being pissed off. Another smart move to write down for Pirate management. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_454564.html

Also, Bronson Arroyo made an a$$ out of himself the other day with these comments after losing to the Pirates..."If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me."

Craig Wilson responded........."It's not something I would say,". "Obviously, I wouldn't say our lineup is as potent as some he's faced in recent years when he was with Boston. But, at the end of the day, we were over here listening to music, and he's over there with an L."

Salomon Torres also responded............"He should know better than that, man,". "There's a line you don't cross. Even if you think you're better than the opposition, you've got to give them respect. At some point in this game, you're either going to face them again or be their teammates."

And Jason Bay......................"A loss is a loss, and you've got to assume some responsibility for it,"

tony hipchest
05-19-2006, 09:59 AM
We blew a 6-0 lead yesterday afternoon to lose 9-8.

pirates definitely are in mid season form. i wonder what the over/under is for 1 run losses this season. im thinking about 50 and i might take the over.

SteelerDan43
05-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Holy Shnikes we just beat the Tribe

Black@Gold Forever32
05-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Holy Shnikes we just beat the Tribe

Beatem Bucs Beatem Bucs. I love the Buccos I just pray for the day we have a winning season again. The 1992 season seems so long ago.

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Well, anytime a Cleveland team losses it's a good day in my book. Jason Bay with two HR's in a 9-6 victory over the Indians.

clevestinks
05-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Ive got tickets for todays game in cleve, six rows behind home plate . But its raining again, every stinking day it rains.

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Why in the hell is Cota still on this team? We have Doumit and Paulino. In a dire emergency we have Craig Wilson. It makes zero sense to keep this guy around. He can't hit worth a damn and he's a solid catcher at best.

Pirate score: 2-2 against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh. Let's take a series from hated Cleveland!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Why in the hell is Cota still on this team? We have Doumit and Paulino. In a dire emergency we have Craig Wilson. It makes zero sense to keep this guy around. He can't hit worth a damn and he's a solid catcher at best.

Pirate are winning 2-1 against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh. Let's take a series from hated Cleveland!!!

Beat'em Bucs Beat'em Bucs. I agree Cota is a bum and I don't know why he is on the team as well.

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
2-2 now..........blah

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 03:11 PM
2-2 now..........blah

That sucks. Hopefully they can pull this one out.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Pirates waste a leadoff double. Damn Buccos, is it football season yet?

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 03:36 PM
What a great diving catch by McClouth to keep us in the game!!! Kid is hitting and plays a good CF.

We had two on in the top of the 9th, no outs. Hernandez bunts to the first baseman with a a guy on first and second and Burnitz get's thrown out at third. Castillo comes up and hits into a double play. Unbelievable.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
What a great diving catch by McClouth to keep us in the game!!! Kid is hitting and plays a good CF.

We had two on in the top of the 9th, no outs. Hernandez bunts to the first baseman with a a guy on first and second and Burnitz get's thrown out at third. Castillo comes up and hits into a double play. Unbelievable.

Hopefully McClouth keeps it up. We need that consistent leadoff guy. The Pirates have struggled with coming up with the clutch hits for years.

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Extra innings....

83-Steelers-43
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Game over, Cleveland wins......

Lack of fundamentals. Today, it was not knowing how to bunt a baseball. Truly pathetic and sad.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Pirates waste a leadoff double. Damn Buccos, is it football season yet?

Don't worry. Our 6th Vince Lombardi Trophy will be in Pittsburgh Soon.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Game over, Cleveland wins......

Lack of fundamentals. Today, it was not knowing how to bunt a baseball. Truly pathetic and sad.

The Pirates have lacked fundamentals for a long time. I get so tired of seeing their lack of fundamentals. Truly pathetic is right. No excuses really these guys are major leaguers.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Don't worry. Our 6th Vince Lombardi Trophy will be in Pittsburgh Soon.

Hell Yeah Brother. The Steelers will bring home their 6th Lombardi this year. The Steelers Dynasty is back.:banana: :banana:

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Hell Yeah Brother. The Steelers will bring home their 6th Lombardi this year. The Steelers Dynasty is back.:banana: :banana:

yep with a couple of 3+ peats. First we work on our 3rd repeat. The Dynasty starts it's resurrection.

SteelerDan43
05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Bay is comming out of the slump, 1-1 with a HR

SteelerDan43
05-22-2006, 11:24 PM
So what will be the fundamental that breaks down tonight????

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 08:15 AM
So what will be the fundamental that breaks down tonight????

Here's one........

"Marte again walked the first batter, Shawn Green, then allowed Damion Easley's single. The runners were bunted over, and Orlando Hudson lifted a soft shot toward the line in right. Jeromy Burnitz was there in time but, accelerating his transfer for a throw home, allowed the ball to clank off his underhanded glove."

Here's another.........

"Sanchez gloved the ball in time to get Gonzalez, but he bobbled the exchange for what was ruled an infield single, and the score was tied at 1-1."

Here's one more........

"After Marte struck out pinch-hitter Tony Clark, Craig Counsell rolled a squibber to the left of the mound, but Marte's throw to first sailed into right field for two more runs."

Little-league baseball in a MLB park.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
pirates definitely are in mid season form. i wonder what the over/under is for 1 run losses this season. im thinking about 50 and i might take the over. anyone with me on the "over"?

SteelerDan43
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Here's one........

"Marte again walked the first batter, Shawn Green, then allowed Damion Easley's single. The runners were bunted over, and Orlando Hudson lifted a soft shot toward the line in right. Jeromy Burnitz was there in time but, accelerating his transfer for a throw home, allowed the ball to clank off his underhanded glove."

Here's another.........

"Sanchez gloved the ball in time to get Gonzalez, but he bobbled the exchange for what was ruled an infield single, and the score was tied at 1-1."

Here's one more........

"After Marte struck out pinch-hitter Tony Clark, Craig Counsell rolled a squibber to the left of the mound, but Marte's throw to first sailed into right field for two more runs."

Little-league baseball in a MLB park.

Ya I dont get to see much of that since we dont get the games here, but school is over this week so I will be back home and able to watch the games.

SteelerDan43
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
anyone with me on the "over"?

The over would definatley be the smart bet, those one run games always tend to favor the good defensive teams with decent bullpens that can play a little "small" ball. Something we are extremly inept at

clevestinks
05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Come on Pirates Lets Go Bucs!

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Bay with a two shot HR to give the Bucco's a 2-0 lead early.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Bay with a two shot HR to give the Bucco's a 2-0 lead early.

Cool Bay is starting to heat up.

SteelerDan43
05-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Two men on with no outs and we cant score, thats why we suck

SteelerDan43
05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Bay homers again, now were only losing by two

SteelerDan43
05-24-2006, 12:30 AM
And we lose.... again

Theanswer385
05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
i dont know what to do anymore. I swear they shed a week off my life after every loss like that. Kinda a joke anymore.

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Kinda a joke anymore.

Kinda? Anymore? :huh:

SteelerDan43
05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
here is a link to a column I just finished up... http://www.aroundthediamond.com/column.php?id=4

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
good stuff steelerdan. keep writing

SteelerDan43
05-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
And we lose.... again

And we lose.... again

SteelerDan43
05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Garrrrrrrrrrrr (steve the pirate)

SteelerDan43
05-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Every game of the 79' series plus extras.... http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2197029&cp=1452363.2184777&parentPage=family

83-Steelers-43
05-25-2006, 09:46 AM
We are now 4-22 on the road and our overall record is 14-33. I think it's time for the youth movement.

tony hipchest
05-25-2006, 09:53 AM
We are now 4-22 on the road and our overall record is 14-33. I think it's time for the youth movement.and another 1 run loss. but just think, if the bucs sweep the next 6 series they should be at right about .500.

seriously though, does anyone know the record for most 1 run losses in a season?

83-Steelers-43
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Off the top of my head, I have no idea. I'd have to believe we are not near the record. Tracy and players are putting emphasis on that stat as if it's something to be proud of, in my book....a loss is a loss. 5-4 or 15-4, makes no difference to me. Last time I recall, the point of the game is to score more runs than the opposing team.

SteelerDan43
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Well the 62 Mets were 19-39 in one run games

Through 47 games they won 12, we have won 14 so we are not quite on that pace

Worst ever was the 1935 Boston Braves, Babe Ruth was on the team but they went 7-31 in 1 run games

Baseball-Reference.com kicks ass

The one run losses are just an indication of us not being a team per say. Chemistry goes a long way in those tight situational games

Mosca
05-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Speaking of the '35 Braves,

It's the anniversary of the Babe's last 3 home runs, delivered at Forbes Field, with the third shot being the first ever over the right field roof. He played one more game and then retired.

Tom

SteelerDan43
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
They just said Andy Van Slyke is supposed to be on Cold Pizza this morning

Aparently he is the 1B coach for the Tigers, supposed to be the next segment

SteelerDan43
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
So basically the Tigers coaching staff is the early 90's Pirates.

83-Steelers-43
05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Pirates take it to Houston 12-5 win. It's nice to see they still have a pulse. Bay with a two shot homer. Castillo with a two shot homer. C. Wilson with a solo shot HR. Paulino 4 for 4 with three RBI's.

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:12 AM
anyone watching the game??? 17 innings, damn this is taking forever. the fans getting their moneys worth lol...LETS GO 'STORS

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:13 AM
hell yeah, willie with the single and we up 7-6

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:14 AM
7-6, high-priced Astros took the the lead in the 17th. Well I would hope so, they have a salary in the top ten....lol.

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Castillo ties it up with a solo shot baby!!! HA!!!

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:20 AM
aww hell, more f'king innings

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:21 AM
7-6, high-priced Astros took the the lead in the 17th. Well I would hope so, they have a salary in the top ten....lol.

and salary has to do with what exactly???? or is that an excuse if your team loses??? cause if so that's a first for me, i ain't heard someone blame it on salary

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:23 AM
and salary has to do with what exactly???? or is that an excuse if your team loses??? cause if so that's a first for me, i ain't heard someone blame it on salary

I'll try to explain this is as slow as possible. Normally when a teams salary is very low, they tend to lose more games than a team that has a salary in the top ten. That does not make sense to you I take it? Before you respond and jump to conclusions, notice I used the word "normally".

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:25 AM
good excuse i guess.............................so i guess that's the reason my spurs lost too huh??? damn salary always getting in the way lol

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Not using it as an excuse. It's called a fact. Talk to the Marlins, Devil Rays or Royals while your at it. I'm not talking about "your Spurs" or the NBA. I'm talking MLB. Wrong sport.

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:28 AM
so your saying that owners that are willing to pay their players (which the astors owner is not ex. beltran) is basically buying wins???

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Your going to argue that teams in the top ten salary tend to win less games than teams in the bottom five? That's what your going to state?

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM
so your saying that owners that are willing to pay their players (which the astors owner is not ex. beltran) is basically buying wins???

Once again, your jumping to conclusions and responding before you actually read a thread and comprehend it. I stated a team with a top ten salary was beating a team with a bottom five salary. That's all I stated. If we win, then great. We pulled out a win against a team in the top ten salary base. If we lose, we lost to a team in the top ten salary base while being in the bottom five. Since your not from Pittsburgh then you have no idea about the situation our fans are in. When we beat a team in the top ten salary base, we love it. If we lose the game, it's understandable. Is it an excuse? Well, look at the salaries..lol. Once again, I don't give a shit about the Spurs or the NBA in general. I'm talking baseball.

Right now, our teams salary is one of the lowest in baseball. Right now, the Astros are in the top ten. The Astro's are in our division for starters and they have a top salary, we love beating teams like them. Got it yet?

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Once again, your jumping to conclusions and responding before you actually read a thread and comprehend it. I stated a team with a top ten salary was beating a team with a bottom five salary. That's all I stated. If we win, then great. We pulled out a win against a team in the top ten salary base. If we lose, we lost to a team in the top ten salary base while being in the bottom five. Since your not from Pittsburgh then you have no idea about the situation our fans are in. When we beat a team in the top ten salary base, we love it. If we lose the game, it's understandable. Is it an excuse? Well, look at the salaries..lol. Once again, I don't give a shit about the Spurs or the NBA in general. I'm talking baseball.

Right now, our teams salary is one of the lowest in baseball. Right now, the Astros are in the top ten. The Astro's are in our division for starters and they have a top salary, we love beating teams like them. This is a Pirate related thread.

i ain't jumping to nothing. i'm just bored, and it seems you get agitated easy so i'm just f'king with you lol

edit: i got to restart my computer right now, so if we lose in this inning don't think i left cause we lost lol

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:43 AM
No, I don't get "agitated" easily. I'm just simply holding a civil conversation with you. Once again, making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. *sigh*

MattsMe
05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Man, I gotta feel sorry for Gallo. Oh, wait, no I don't! :dang:

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-28-2006, 12:54 AM
A wild pitch on an intentional walk??? been a while since I seen that

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Pirates WIN!!!!!!!!

Bay paved over the catcher from third on a pop fly to center from Bautista in the bottom of the 18th!!!

MattsMe
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Pirates WIN!!!!!!!!

WOW, I think my tv's on a 3 second delay.

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Bay bowls over the catcher... Pirates win!!! bottom of 18th

Koopa
05-28-2006, 12:58 AM
well that suck but at least it was by 1, if lidge would've came in that would've been a home run. ROGER CLEMENS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COME BACK, aside from oswalt our pitching staff is complete hot garbage as y'all saw today

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Nice win. Felt good. SteelerDan, where are ya brother?!?!? You better not tell me you missed this game tonight. Were you home for the holidays to see this game?

tony hipchest
05-28-2006, 11:01 AM
doesnt this push the longest winning streak of the year to 2?

SteelerDan43
05-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Ya I just got home from school friday night and saw the end of that game but last night was my brothers bachelor party so I ended up missing the best Pirates game in a decade

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
1-0 Pirates, Bay with a solo shot homer. His sixth HR in a row.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-28-2006, 02:45 PM
1-0 Pirates, Bay with a solo shot homer. His sixth HR in a row.

Jason Bay is on fire right now. Who is pitching for the Buccos today?

tony hipchest
05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
whats the over/under on how many days until j. bay is a redsox or yankee?

83-Steelers-43
05-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Pirates lose in the 10th. Tough loss, but taking 2 out of 3 from the Astros aint bad. I'll take it.

SteelerDan43
05-28-2006, 08:35 PM
That was a painful loss today especially with Perez finally showing signs of his 200K year, Walkin guys in is just unexcusable, I would much rather see the guy give up a hit that walk a guy in.

Koopa
05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
alright are salary got us a win (j/k lol) damn i didn't even know they played so early, everytime i put it on fsn southwest they was showing stupid poker and beyond the glory (some funny shit on this one, they said ppl accused kordell stewart of being a fag lol)

SteelCityMan786
05-28-2006, 10:05 PM
The Pirates need to at least get a 50 Million Dollar Payroll. They can not compete with only young players. Bottom line to McClatchy, you can't pay the players....GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony hipchest
05-28-2006, 11:32 PM
back to normal. losing a 1 run game (in extra innings no less) nice stat on j. bay. no one in pirates history has hit more hr in a 10 game stretch. how long until hes a sox or yank?

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
alright are salary got us a winl

Wow, giddy humor.....:rolleyes:

3 to be 4
05-29-2006, 11:45 AM
whats the over/under on how many days until j. bay is a redsox or yankee?

yeah, but the Pirates will get a mid-level prospect!!!!!!!! who, in 3 or 4 years, might be as good as J.Bay! maybe...

tony hipchest
05-29-2006, 12:03 PM
yeah, but the Pirates will get a mid-level prospect!!!!!!!! who, in 3 or 4 years, might be as good as J.Bay! maybe.......at which point THAT mid-level prospect would be promptly traded.

SteelerDan43
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
We did trade an older version of Bay in Giles for Bay and Perez which was pretty much the only decent move Littlefield has made in his tenure

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
So we got Davis vs Duke tonight. Hopefully our bats stay hot and we pull out two or three wins against the Brewers.

SteelerDan43
05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Whoo hoo goin to the game tonight where we actually have a shot to win with duke on the mound

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
....at which point THAT mid-level prospect would be promptly traded.

The Pirate Way.......:headshake:

tony hipchest
05-29-2006, 12:42 PM
do people even bother buying pirate jerseys in pittsburgh? i cant imagine they would knowing anyones worth having is usually gone within 2 or 3 years. i actually looked for a clearance giles once he was shipped off. never found one though.

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 12:51 PM
When I used to attend Pirate games, I normally sported a Bucco hat and t-shirt. Never purchased a jersey for that very reason.

SteelerDan43
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
do people even bother buying pirate jerseys in pittsburgh? i cant imagine they would knowing anyones worth having is usually gone within 2 or 3 years. i actually looked for a clearance giles once he was shipped off. never found one though.

Its the same with Hockey though, generally I only buy blank ones. Unless its someone like Lemieux or possibly Crosby. As far as Pirates te only one I would consider at this pt. would be Duke. He is the only one that is young enough and we have locked up long enough to actually be worth it

tony hipchest
05-29-2006, 01:01 PM
i just have a blank one too. however i would still sport a jason kendall one.

3 to be 4
05-29-2006, 01:55 PM

i went to a target in KC the other day and i found Cardinal,Red Sox, and Yankee jerseys.
no Royals though :bouncy:

tony hipchest
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
i went to a target in KC the other day and i found Cardinal,Red Sox, and Yankee jerseys.
no Royals though :bouncy: now THAT is sad

SteelerDan43
05-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Even with the Pirates, Indians, Blue Jays, Mets and Yankees are all about equi-distance from Rochester NY it is impossible to find anything but Yankees stuff.

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Pirates beat the Brewers 14-3. Hey look!!! What a shocker!!!, Bautista is playing damn good ball!!!

SteelerDan43
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
It was by far the best lineup they have put out there all year, minus the major switches at the end. That made my scorecard look like chicken scratch

tony hipchest
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
It was by far the best lineup they have put out there all year, minus the major switches at the end. That made my scorecard look like chicken scratchglad you got to see a good game. i actually got to watch it on the baseball ticket at my in laws. what was the attendance though? it looked like their couldnt be more than 15,000 people there. i think it was in fla. where only 7600 people showed up to see bonds. *snicker*

SteelerDan43
05-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Your in luck I wrote it on my scorecard, 17,561. It suprised me too considering it was a hat giveaway night.

clevestinks
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
GO BUCS!!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
For some reason in the PPG and on Comcast they stated they were televising the game tonight and they are not. So I'm only watching the NHL playoffs tonight.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Buccos have brought out whopping sticks the last two games. Go Bucs Go Bucs.

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Pirates beat the Brewers 12-1. Castillo with 2 HR's and 6 RBI's. Sanchez with four hits and two RBI's. Jack Wilson with 2 RBI's, Bay with an RBI single and Casey with an RBI double. Santos (former Brewer) gave up 3 hits and one run in six innings.

Way to go Bucco's.

MattsMe
05-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Wish I could have seen that one. I can pretty much count the Pirates games broadcast here on one hand. And I can count the wins on...well...

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Wish I could have seen that one. I can pretty much count the Pirates games broadcast here on one hand. And I can count the wins on...well...

With the exception of the last seven days, your not missing much brother. Trust me. Move back here in five years and you'll see the same thing that we have been seeing the last thirteen years.....lol.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 11:12 AM
That blackout last night sucked. Tonights game will be on though. Lets put it this way the core of the position players is in their late 20's if we dont do it in the next 3 or so years it will be a long long time before we even have another chance at it. When Littlefield came in here he fired the only decent thing from the last regime, the guy who handled the drafts (the name escapes me). Outside of Walker and McCutcheon Littlefield drafts have been downright bad. What you see on the team now is pretty much everything from the top end of the system AA and AAA is littered with guys like Bonifay. So if it doesnt happen soon we are in some major trouble of making a record of like 20 years.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
if we dont do it in the next 3 or so years it will be a long long time before we even have another chance at it.

Now my question. What is "it" Dan?

Is "it" above .500 (normal and sad expectations of the fans and organization)

Is "it" a playoff birth?

Is "it" a very unlikely World Series appearance?

Is "it" a very unlikely World Series victory?

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Santos was lucky he was about at the end of his leash. The only reason he is here instead of Duckworth or Gorzelanny is because he needed like 40 days or something close to get throught the rule 5 stuff. So he should be through that. Why they were so carefully with him and let guys like Shelton go is once again beyond me.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Now my question. What is "it" Dan?

Win, contend, compete, be not shitty, all of the above

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
be not shitty

I can maybe see that happening even though it won't mean much in my book. As for the contending part.....don't see that happening for a very, very long time. Unless there is an ownership change in the next year or two.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
I can maybe see that happening. As for the contending part.....don't see that happening for a very, very long time. Unless there is an ownership change in the next year or two.

I think it all depends on how these young pitchers pan out and what we get for Wells at the deadline. If they fixed Perez which is iffy and out of Duke Maholm and Snell we get 2 out of three I think we have a chance at a Wild Card run. The difference between .500 and a Wild Card is like 5 or 6 wins, thats like an extra win every 2 weeks or so. Just think about all the one run games we have given away.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. That statement sounds very similar to those made before this season even started, minus the chance of a wild card run, just getting over that ever elusive .500 goal..lol.

As for the one run games. As I stated before....I don't put much stock into that specific statistic. All it means to me is that we blew a game that we had a chance of winning. That's not something to be proud of in my book. At the end of the day, doesn't matter if it's a 5-4 loss or a 15-4 loss. All the same to me.

In my opinion it's the same song and dance season after season. This year proved no different. I'm sure around Spring Training next season I will hear "this is the year we get over .500" and the results always end up being the same. I see next year being much of the same. Maybe they will surprise me and get over that high .500 mark that we set for ourselves every year!!! lol.

Eitherway, a Wild Card...don't see happening. A World Series win (the point in having a ball team in your city), I definately don't see happening for a long, long time.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
1 run losses show the maturity of the team, a key hit here a better defensive play or a baserunning blunder are the things that decide those games. Teams that win, win the one run games. those 15-4 games happen to everyone.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
It's just pathetic and sad that the same statements are made year after year after year with this team and the ending results are always the same. It would be different if this team had a bad three year stretch. Add on ten more years and that's where we are at this point in time. Every year we hear the cheesy and always underachieved PR commericals, the rah-rah pep talks during training camp by Littlefield (who should be fired) and McClatchy (who should be gone) and yet the results are always the same.

I've been hearing about the "what if" situations for the last thirteen years. Sooner or later the "what if's" have to pan out. They have yet to do so. What if we won some of those one game losses. But we didn't. What if Perez was better? But he isn't. What if Kip Wells didn't get injured. He is injured and I don't see us having that much better of a record with him healthy. What if an overaged and overpaid player such as Randa or Burnitz played good ball? They didn't.

What if the homer fans (small majority now) and organization actually set the bar at a World Series appearance instead of reaching .500 and popping the cork? That would be something. Instead, many sit there, suck their thumbs, line McClatchy's pockets and pray for an above .500 season. Maybe more fans would show up and the organization would be respected not only in baseball, but in sport in general.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
When all is said and done. Show me something. I called for another under .500 season before this year even started and we are well on our way. Next year, same old, same old. Basically going in circles with this conversation.......

So we have Snell vs Capuano tonight.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Thats the difference between us and teams like the Yanks, when they make a personel mistake they throw more money at it and it goes away, when we make a mistake we have no more money to throw at it to make it go away and the contract sets us back

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
And that is why I put blame on both the state of the game, horrible scouting, horrible management over the years, horrible general management over the years and horrible ownership.

But after watching how this "MLB?" organization conducts itself in certain situations, it's hard not to put a large amount of blame on them.

SteelerDan43
05-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Those what if's are completley valid, there has been no winner that bought it. To win you have to develop your guys. The Tigers are showing that with Mr. 19 loss Jeremy Bonderman who has 5 wins. The Yankees rode their own guys in Jeter, Rivera, Williams, and Posada to World Series Wins. As far as setting the bar with winning a WS, baby steps. Gotta get to .500 first before you win a WS. Its akin to expecting the Lions or Cardinals to win a SB. Gotta be .500 first, then you gotta make the playoffs, then you can talk about winning a WS.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I guess all I can really say is we will see where we are and what we have accomplished in the next five years. Going by the last thirteen, I'm completely sold on this team accomplishing very little. They've had thirteen years to have "baby steps" and the patience of Pirate fans. It's getting old. Much like the commercials. Much like the Littlefield and McClatchy fake promises and deceit. Much like the media and fans pimping this team during TC and the first month and then realizing once again that they will suck just as much if not more than the season before.

The majority of fans (the ones not drinking the kool-aid) are not willing and nor should they have to wait another thirteen years in order to reach .500 let alone a World Series. On a side note, it's funny listening to the local media and sports call-in shows, after a few wins the kool-aid drinkers come out in force....lol.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvfrkRowiNU&search=Pirates

During and after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLRfUZvR4Q&search=Pirates (days)

Pretty much sums it up.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 07:40 PM
3-0 Bucco's in the bottom of the second. Castillo with a two shot HR (homered in five straight games). Paulino with a single RBI.

On another note, look what the Royals did. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464544

This organization gives our GM an extension after every pathetic season....lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-31-2006, 07:53 PM
2-0 Bucco's in the bottom of the second. Castillo with a two shot HR (homered in five straight games).

Beat'em Bucs Beat'em Bucs. Castillo goes yard again. Bay went six straight games with a homerun now Castillo with five straight games homering. Pirates has some nice young talent. I just keep hoping for that winning season. Hopefully this recent turn around continues and maybe at least the Buccos can have a 500 season.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
5-0 Bucco's. Back-to-back homers by Casey and Bay.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
5-0 Bucco's. Back-to-back homers by Casey and Bay.

Cool shit man. Jason Bay is turning into a very good ball player. How many is that now 17 for him?

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
How many is that now 17 for him?

Yep. While having both Castillo, Casey and Sanchez smacking the hell out of the ball.

It's now 6-1 Bucco's. Snell got his first RBI.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Yep. While having both Castillo, Casey and Sanchez smacking the hell out of the ball.

It's now 6-1 Bucco's. Snell got his first RBI.

Snell with a RBI thats great. Plus he is pitching well that is more important. Hell Buccos need to save some of these runs they have been scoring lately when they need them down the road later this season.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Raise the Jolly Roger, the Bucco's beat the Brewers 6-1. So this is what MLB looks like?

SteelerDan43
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
After the best three game streak we have had in years that genius Tracy changes the lineup now we are losing 3-2 in the 8th

83-Steelers-43
06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Typical Pirate baseball.

SteelerDan43
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Ya Bautista gets taken out of the lineup in favor of McLouth who has gone 0-4 with a K but yet Bautista still comes in and gets hit off of the bench. Old McClendon doesnt look that bad now

SteelerDan43
06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Castillo drives in the tying run then Doumit comes in and singles to drive home Castillo for the win

83-Steelers-43
06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Well I'll be. It wasn't televised here in Pittsburgh today. Go figure, this team actually starts playing MLB and we get a blackout and a game that's not televised all in the same week. I still don't like seeing Tracy take out the young guys though. Win or lose.

Suitanim
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Nice sweep! There's always hope (until at least the end of June...unless you are the Royals)

83-Steelers-43
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
It must be the new Pirate mascot..........

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/images/2006/05/27/veuWClMH.jpg

tony hipchest
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
It must be the new Pirate mascot..........

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/images/2006/05/27/veuWClMH.jpg

they didnt get rid of the parrot did they? cause this mascott sucks compared to the parrot.

83-Steelers-43
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
they didnt get rid of the parrot did they? cause this mascott sucks compared to the parrot.

No, he's just an addition. Wow, great view, nice park, good food and now a new mascot!!!......I tell ya, that Pirate organization just spoils us to death. :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
06-02-2006, 10:23 PM
And on that note, we lose 7-0 to the Padres. Game called in the 6th.

To tell you the truth, that game should not have been played in the first place. It was pouring before, during and after the game was played.

SteelerDan43
06-05-2006, 10:13 PM
2-0 Pirates in the 4th in Colorado

SteelerDan43
06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Snell with 7k's through 4

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
It's funny while listening to the TV broadcast tonight, Littlefield made the comment that he wants to keep Freddy at third. This is after the fact that he took heat from the media and fans. It's amazing that our GM needs heat from the fans and media in order to make a commonsense decision. This is what we are dealing with here in Pittsburgh. It's a joke.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
It's funny while listening to the TV broadcast tonight, Littlefield made the comment that he wants to keep Freddy at third. This is after the fact that took heat from the media and fans. It's amazing that our GM needs heat from the fans and media in order to make a commonsense decision. This is what we are dealing with here in Pittsburgh. It's a joke.

Littlefield is a joke. Most of his trades have bombed. The only ones that have worked out have been the Brian Giles trade that brought us Jason Bay and Oliver Perez. Plus the Freddie Sanchez trade. Didn't we give up a pitcher for him. I can't remember who it was though. But thats about it for Littlefield.

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
We got cash, Sanchez and Gonzo and traded Lyon, Suppan and Martinez to Boston.

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 11:03 PM
5-2 bucco's. Sanchez three hits and 2 RBI's and one stolen base. Craig Wilson.....no outs, bases loaded and hits into a double play. This is the same guy that is upset he's not playing every night.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
We got cash, Sanchez and Gonzo and traded Lyon, Suppan and Martinez to Boston.

Thanks I couldn't remember all the details of that trade.:dang:

SteelerDan43
06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
7/22/03 Acquired RHP Brandon Lyon and minor league RHP Anastacio Martinez from Boston Red Sox in exchange for LHP Scott Sauerbeck and LHP Mike Gonzalez.

Lyon then failed his physical and we got back Gonzo and returned Lyon

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_452714.html

Story on the whole deal

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks I couldn't remember all the details of that trade.:dang:

Trust me, it did not make an obvious impact. If you forgot it's no big deal. Look at where we are...lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
7/22/03 Acquired RHP Brandon Lyon and minor league RHP Anastacio Martinez from Boston Red Sox in exchange for LHP Scott Sauerbeck and LHP Mike Gonzalez.

Lyon then failed his physical and we got back Gonzo and returned Lyon

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_452714.html

Story on the whole deal

The Sanchez Suppan deal was seperate and ended up being pretty straight up

Thanks.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Trust me, it did not make an obvious impact. If you forgot it's no big deal. Look at where we are...lol.

Yea I know I just like using that damn dang smilie:dang:

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Yea I know I just like using that damn dang smilie:dang:

LOL, I hear ya.........I think? :sofunny: :dang:

SteelerDan43
06-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I remember it being quite confusing when it happened, that was at the same time we got bay and gave away lofton and ramirez, then the whole return thing after the failed physical

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
And the Pirates win 5-2

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Pirates take Brad Lincoln............http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06157/696114-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2006, 09:17 PM
And tonight we have Jose Hernandez playing right field and C. Wilson playing first. Unbelievable. This organization is something else. :shake02:

tony hipchest
06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
And tonight we have Jose Hernandez playing right field and C. Wilson playing first. Unbelievable. This organization is something else. :shake02:are they even trying to figure something out?

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Pirates lose 5-4.

83-Steelers-43
06-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Bucco's win 3-2 tonight against the Giants. Santos with the win and Gonzo with the save. Gonzo scares the hell out of me. He puts a good number of guys on base. He did it tonight but thankfully came away with the save. Casey with a RBI double and Bay with a two shot HR.

83-Steelers-43
06-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Also...............

Trade offer rejected

The St Louis Cardinals' bid to acquire outfielder-first baseman Craig Wilson apparently fizzled after the Pirates sought right-handed starter Anthony Reyes in return.

Reyes, 24, currently is with Class AAA Memphis but is projected to be part of the Cardinals' rotation next season.

St. Louis, which visits PNC Park next week, is desperate for offense with first baseman Albert Pujols out of the lineup six weeks because of a strained oblique. It is possible talks will be revived at that time. - PPG

Theanswer385
06-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Also...............

Trade offer rejected

The St Louis Cardinals' bid to acquire outfielder-first baseman Craig Wilson apparently fizzled after the Pirates sought right-handed starter Anthony Reyes in return.

Reyes, 24, currently is with Class AAA Memphis but is projected to be part of the Cardinals' rotation next season.

St. Louis, which visits PNC Park next week, is desperate for offense with first baseman Albert Pujols out of the lineup six weeks because of a strained oblique. It is possible talks will be revived at that time. - PPGgood to see some1 wants him. I really dont care for him myself.

clevestinks
06-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Eventually, we need to have a solid young team. All we do is trade talent for prospects!

SteelerDan43
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Ya our need is really a spot starter lol. Threre is already a log jam at SP!

83-Steelers-43
06-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Raise the Jolly Roger, the Pirates beat the Giants 2-0. Castillo and Bautista each with solo HR's and Snell with the win.

tony hipchest
06-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Raise the Jolly Roger, the Pirates beat the Giants 2-0. Castillo and Bautista each with solo HR's and Snell with the win.thats nice and all but lets get to what really matters. what about barry???? :chuckle:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Raise the Jolly Roger, the Pirates beat the Giants 2-0. Castillo and Bautista each with solo HR's and Snell with the win.

Beat'em Bucs Beat'em Bucs. Way to go Buccos. Snell with a good outing. Very good to hear.

SteelerDan43
06-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Snell now has 7 wins, thats almost 30 percent of our wins

Black@Gold Forever32
06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Snell now has 7 wins, thats almost 30 percent of our wins

Snell has been pitching very well since getting off to a rough start earlier in the year. Buccos young rotation has the potential to be one of the best in MLB.

BlackNGold203
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
They are showing promise...if they stay the course..this team might actually develop into something

83-Steelers-43
06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Pirates win 7-5 over the Giants.

Jose Bautista with a Grand Slam HR to make it 7-5 Bucco's. Good job Jose and very glad to have you up here.....

Black@Gold Forever32
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Pirates win 7-5 over the Giants.

Jose Bautista with a Grand Slam HR to make it 7-5 Bucco's. Good job Jose and very glad to have you up here.....

Go Buccos.

Prosdo
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
That grand slam was awesome!

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Duckworth dealt

The Pirates made good on a preseason arrangement with minor-league starter Brandon Duckworth to trade him if an opportunity arose elsewhere, sending him to the Kansas City Royals for an undisclosed amount of cash.

"We had an agreement, which occasionally happens, where the player gets a legitimate opportunity for a 25-man roster spot and that we work something out for him to go to that spot," Littlefield said.

Duckworth, 30, was beaten out by Victor Santos for the final spot in the rotation this spring, then went 8-3 with a 2.42 ERA for Indianapolis.

The Royals will have him start tomorrow against the Los Angeles Angels.

Manager Jim Tracy described the Pirates' move as "sending a good message" to future players who sign with the team by assuring them they will not be blocked. - PPG

SteelerDan43
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
ughhhhh, he should of been here instead of Santos once Santos cleared his rule 5 time, Santos should of been the one leaving

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Duffy to rejoin Pirates' fold
Outfielder reporting to Bradenton today
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Today, Chris Duffy will begin his journey back into baseball.

The Pirates' opening-day center fielder will travel from his home in Glendale, Ariz., to report to the team's extended spring training program in Bradenton, Fla., his agent revealed yesterday. Once he shows the team's on-site trainers he is in game shape, he will play for Class AAA Indianapolis.

Duffy had been optioned to Indianapolis May 14 after a .194 start at the plate, but he declined to report, went home and was placed on the restricted list. The Pirates removed him from that list yesterday and, thus, reinstated his $148,000 salary at the minor-league level.

His reasons for leaving remain unclear. He did not return phone calls yesterday, and his agent, Mike Nicotera, disclosed no more than he had previously, which was that Duffy's matter was personal.

Nicotera did reject the notion that Duffy contemplated quitting baseball, as sources close to Duffy had indicated in recent weeks.

"No, I don't think it's fair to characterize it that way," Nicotera said. "The only fair way to say it is that he had some personal things he felt needed to be taken care of, and he was able to do that. Now, he feels very good, and he's looking forward to getting on the field and back to playing baseball."

Catcher Ryan Doumit, Duffy's closest friend on the team, expressed concern for Duffy in a June 3 interview by saying, "If he doesn't want to play baseball anymore, that's his decision. He's like a brother to me, so I want his well-being to come first."

Nicotera also has rejected -- emphatically -- that Duffy was displeased with Pirates manager Jim Tracy for attempting to transform his plate approach in the offseason. Duffy batted .341 as an aggressive, line-drive hitting rookie last season, but Tracy suggested he perform more like a prototype leadoff hitter.

On the day Duffy was demoted, he told reporters, "Before I even played for Tracy, he was already kind of saying what he wanted me to do. I think, sometimes, I'm a little too coachable."

Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield had remained in contact with Nicotera throughout Duffy's absence, and he made clear yesterday the team harbors no ill will on the matter and that it should not affect his baseball future.

"No, it's just a decision that he made," Littlefield said of Duffy. "As we deal with players all the time, we deal with a variety of things. We're anxious for him to be back on the field. We'll see how things go. Certainly, we have high hopes for Chris Duffy, as we have had in the past."

"Along the way, we wanted to be sure Dave would be aware of how things are going, so they wouldn't be in the dark about it," Nicotera said. "We appreciate the fact that they continued to respect the personal nature of situation."

There is no timetable for Duffy's return to action, but Nicotera said Duffy had been performing some exercises -- "swinging a bat, some throwing" -- to remain in shape during his absence.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Here's to hoping Duffy doesn't go postal on the Pirates organization. Then again, if I had a bunch of idiots messing with my swing after coming off a season in which I was averaging .341 at the plate, I would also be pretty pissed.

SteelerDan43
06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Well he isnt earning any service time so we will still own him no matter how long he sits out