PDA

View Full Version : Moving up the draft board

Haiku_Dirtt
03-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Maybe LenDale White is a pipe dream.

But there is something about the 9 -10-11 slot that seems feasible. If Colbert wants a bonafide starting tailback of the future then a move there may be just high enough to land "Thunder". All three are NFC teams that may be interested in getting extra bodies into their training camps this year.

Or maybe I'll just keep on dreamin'.

tony hipchest
03-05-2006, 01:43 PM
the steelers did pass on the opportunity to land larry johnson by moving up to get t. polamalu. they have 3 extra picks this year. 10 rookies may have a hard time making the roster. it didnt hurt the steelers to cut their #4 pick from last year and their #2 alonzo jackson was pretty much pissed away when we gave away our #1, #3 and #6 to move up for troy. i think l. white will be a franchise back but will also be a big $$$ player.

with that being said steelers are probably looking for quality depth to replace potential big $$$ players and aging veterans in the next few years. moving up would probably be good for the next 2-3 years whereas staying put would probably be better for the next 5-6.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 08:24 AM
After they made it clear that Duce/Willie is next years 1-2 punch, I don't see them moving up...in fact, I don't see them taking a RB in the 1st round at all.

StillerPaul
03-06-2006, 09:03 AM
After they made it clear that Duce/Willie is next years 1-2 punch, I don't see them moving up...in fact, I don't see them taking a RB in the 1st round at all.

I agree with ya 100%. I think people need to realize that we're not in bad shape with Fast Willie and Duce as our 1-2 next year and a mid to late round draftee coming in.

If we were to trade up in 1 for anyone, i'd want it to be Santonio Holmes. A bonafide #2 speedburner Wr to compliment Hines and Cedric would give us just as dynamic an offense as the Bungles and Colts IMO.

rowedf
03-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Has anyone EVER moved from 32 to 10,11, or 12, thats a jump you just never see.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 11:01 AM
to move from 27th to 16th cost a 1st, 3rd, and 6th im pretty sure. all to move 11 spots

to go up 20 spots would probably cost next years first also at least. not worth it for the long term

OX1947
03-06-2006, 12:23 PM
It sounds like from early reports that the Steelers want to sign and restructure all their currect players and then draft for depth and future.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-09-2006, 01:26 AM
I agree with ya 100%. I think people need to realize that we're not in bad shape with Fast Willie and Duce as our 1-2 next year and a mid to late round draftee coming in.

If we were to trade up in 1 for anyone, i'd want it to be Santonio Holmes. A bonafide #2 speedburner Wr to compliment Hines and Cedric would give us just as dynamic an offense as the Bungles and Colts IMO.

Absolutely disagree. I may have to accept it but I sure as hell don't like it. Duce is DONE DONE DONE. This team is all about balance...at least for now. Ben would have to open up the running game and that would be a freaky abberation.

Uh no. Isn't that exactly what happened to Cowher when we went 6-10 and most were ready to fire his a..ss????

And a speedburner? Nice. But why exactly would a speedburner be 'the answer' to win the Super Bowl???

I live in the tropics so maybe the sun is getting to my head but the running game is not where it should be and after the euphoria of XL it will become painstakingly clear. We need a tailback of the future.

BigDude66687
03-09-2006, 01:52 AM
um ur all forgetting that we have a rb named willie parker who looked fantastic at times. I think he'll continue to grow into his role as the starting rb espcially now that he has a full offseason to get in shape for his new role :)

Though Lendale white would be an amazing pickup we do have more pressing needs at D-line and WideOut(assuming we lose Randle el

Haiku_Dirtt
03-09-2006, 02:11 AM
to move from 27th to 16th cost a 1st, 3rd, and 6th im pretty sure. all to move 11 spots

to go up 20 spots would probably cost next years first also at least. not worth it for the long term

Duce?!? DUCE?!?!?!

No one knows the future unless you predict that death, taxes and politcal corruption exist so who knows about White ( but I did watch every rush he carried at SC)

Perhaps I am overreacting to the situation at running back. But you can't always get something for nothing...i.e. Willie. What in the hell is going on in the minds of some Steeler fans??? NASDAQ is going to 5000....NASQAQ is going to 5000....NASDAQ is going to...is going to...is going to...uh oh is under 2000.

Two first round picks is about what it would cost and it is all for the long term. If a running back isn't in the long term interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers...

Kreider still blocks like a locamotive. Verron makes plays when his number is called and Willie is Pitbull Tested Lightning Fast. What I don't see is a 16 game/per season producer.

Suitanim
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
The Steelers rested him this year for a reason. The Steelers restructured his contract for a reason. The Steelers have publicly put their collective faith in Duce as filling Bettis' role for the '06 season for a reason.

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Two first round picks is about what it would cost and it is all for the long term. If a running back isn't in the long term interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers...

it would cost more than 2 -1st rounders cause our #1 this year is essentially a high #2 and we can expect our #1 next year to be the same. i think it would cost around 4 picks and maybe just 1 would be a 3rd rounder or lower. too pricey just to move up in the 1st round. i understand why the steelers moved up for polamalu. they recognized hes a player that comes along maybe once every 10 years. steelers will have plenty of opportunities to get another young rb. sure i would love lendale to be a steeler, just like i would alexander or e. james. theyre just to pricey and its a bigtime longshot.

lank81
03-09-2006, 10:21 AM
As much as I love Lendale there is no possible way that we will be able to pick him up. Now if he didn't do so well in the rose bowl well he would probably be in our grasp, but that's not the case. The player that I would move up for if he lands in the 20's is Broderick Bunkley. This dude is a beast. He could be first year starter in replace of Kimo. It would take 4 lineman to block him and Hampton. Our Sacks would double from last year with this guy. Unfortunately I doubt we move up for him. Our realistic and good picks are Nick Mangold the Center from OSU or Bobby Carpenter - Linebacker from OSU. Both are needed badly. Joey will be gone after this year and we need a big quick LB who can wreck some havoc. Also Hartings is old and Nick Mangold is a beast. Great hands and feet and strong enough. Those 2 will more than likely be our picks in the first

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Mangold is off the board, as we have Okobi already promised Hartings job.

Cedric Humes is still a player in Rd 3 as Duce's replacement.